Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Chance of Tobi being Obito

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Likely

5 13.51%
  • Fifty-Fifty

5 13.51%
  • Unlikely

27 72.97%
New Reply

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 594 The Progenitor

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 594 The Progenitor

The beginning and end of this world!!
    Tobi

This week's chapter of Naruto, titled after one of my favorite words, is accompanied by a special one-shot chapter tie-in for Naruto the Movie: Road to Ninja. I've got reviews of both, but first, let's go over last week's poll about Orochimaru's future. Tied for the third most popular conclusion, 12 of you said that he lives forever or fights Tobi. In second place, slightly more of you thought he dies in the end. But the most popular conclusion was that he redeems himself in the end.

Now for the chapter review...

Naruto 594 The Progenitor
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

Tobi begins the chapter by telling our erstwhile heroes that he is indeed reviving the Ten-Tails. Kakashi concludes that only a piece of each best is needed to transform the Gedo Mazo. Kurama's chakra from the Kin-Gin brothers was sealed in the pot Tobi stole and Sasuke captured one of the Eight-Tails' tails for Akatsuki shortly after joining Tobi. After Kakashi deduces this and concludes the Gedo Mazo should be destroyed before the beast is revived, Tobi chides Kakashi for opening his mouth. He betrays a familiarity with the copy ninja and teases Kakashi for not remembering him.

Kakashi, you've always opened your mouth so easily. No wonder you've lived a life of regret.
    Tobi

Kurama and the Nine-Tails agree with Kakashi's plan. Naruto asks Kurama about the Ten-Tails and Kurama says it was the beginning of all things. The beasts who created chakra.

It swallows oceans. Splits the land. And carries mountains.

Naruto argues that they still might be able to beat it since it only has a fraction of the last two beasts' power. Tobi quickly dispels that thought by revealing that a partially revived Ten-Tails will be more than enough to cast his infinite genjutsu. He essentially reveals he one this fight on the night he stole the pot. Tobi shares with our heroes his nightmarish dream for the world, but Kakashi, Naruto, Guy, and Killer B all reject that choice.

Naruto rushes in to Rasengan the statue but Tobi blocks him with his apparently very durable war fan. The chapter ends with the promise of a one-on-one battle.

There wasn't a lot of dynamism to this chapter. The only action like sequence was the Gedo-Mazo at the chapter's beginning, which was competently drawn albeit not spectacularly. The characters though were all well illustrated, which is especially important in a chapter that focuses almost exclusively on dialogue. Also important to this type of chapter is the storyboarding. Kishimoto, as usual, knocked it out of the park in this area too. Reread the chapter and make note of the placement of pauses, then imagine the kind of chapter it'd be without them. At times it's just as important to show how these characters react amidst the chaos or to new revelations to allow the importance of what's being said to sink in or to add insinuation and subtext. My favorite of these little pauses is the scene where Tobi mocks Kakashi amidst some flying debris and Kakashi stoically looks on in the next panel. You can just imagine the wheels spinning in his head as he tries to figure out the meaning of Tobi's taunt.

Kishimoto delivered a chapter that raises more questions and answers two questions. We learn that Tobi can revive the Ten-Tails and doesn't need it to be perfect to pursue his goal, and we learn just what the Ten-Tails was. Well, sort of. The explanation was very abstract and taken at face value provokes a slew of questions about the rest of the world. If the Ten-Tails was the beginning of everything, did it also create life and thus the Sage who would later chain it? If the Ten-Tails is the source of all jutsu, how did the Sage know jutsu? Or if life does come from the Ten-Tails, the source of all chakra, is that why humans (and presumably certain animals) have and can access chakra?

All in all, though, I enjoyed the additions to this universe's mythology. I also enjoyed the dialogue between Tobi and our heroes and how each of them rejects his thesis with their own beliefs on dreams and truth. I'm on the fence about Tobi's seeming obsession with Kakashi. It seems like Kishimoto is hinting that Tobi could be Obito, but I don't think that timing would work out if Tobi was indeed the one who gave (through genetic manipulation) Nagato the Rinnegan. Obito isn't old enough to have sired someone as old as Nagato. Otherwise, I'm not sure who Tobi could be besides someone we've not met before. It's possible this all somehow ties into Rin's death which has been mentioned before in passing by Kakashi. To my knowledge, we haven't yet learned how he failed to protect her. And if at that point Kakashi became famed with his sharingan, someone like Tobi might take a special interest in targeting him so that the secrets of the Uchiha don't become known to anyone besides the Uchiha.

Naruto 594 felt more like a teaser of things to come than a chapter proper, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable teaser which is why I'm giving it a ...

4 out of 5.

As I mentioned above, it's being strongly intimated that Tobi has some tie to Kakashi, which means that we can all expect the "Tobi=Obito" debate to revive with full force after it had been dead or dormant for so long.

I've already stated above my ideas about who Tobi is or isn't. Hopefully, Kishimoto allows Naruto to crack that mask with the same expediency with which Orochimaru was revived so that we can get to the heart of Tobi's motivations now that this arc is entering the eleventh hour.

Naruto the Movie: Road to Ninja

I have to say that I found the Naruto the Movie: Road to Ninja special lacking and slightly confusing. It's not immediately clear if the characters are already under the influence of Tobi's genjutsu or not. Some of them act completely in ways consistent with their character. Others don't. And some, like a super-mopy Naruto and awkward, non-gung-ho Lee, straddle the line between both. They share hijinx before and after individual missions and in the end, Tobi appears with the Akatsuki to test out his limited Tsukuyomi.

Considering Kishimoto wrote the film, it's odd that some of the characters felt untrue to themselves in slightly off way. Though, that might just be me. I think a better prologue could have given us a sense of what the altered timeline of the film will be like, highlighting the differences and leaving us to infer what each of the characters desired. Or Kishimoto could have elaborated on the appearance of the Akatsuki and why they're back after having been defeated. But for what we've got, I'm going to give the one-shot a …

2 out of 5

Until next week Allied shinobi...

One Line Reviews
    • Billy Bat 67 pushes the plot into even stranger territory with a proposed (and unexpected) team-up and by pushing Kevin Yamagata closer towards Dr. Tenma-esque 'man on a mission' territory.
    • Tower of God S02 Ch23 25F Knot of Wool 1 (the chapter names are a pain to type up) left me wanting more, as always, and offered a full chapter of catching up with a Part 1 character. It was a refreshing chapter, but I'm eager to get back to Baam and the promised revelations about his past.
    • My Pick for the Week is Bleach 501 for some particularly inspired imagery related to one of the invading forces.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 594 The Progenitor

Nice review, but I think this chapter was pretty much useless. There was nothing, really nothing, new in it - a whole bunch of chapters ago Tobi stated that he would start the moon's eye plan after he retrieved the pot. We also knew the details of the moon's eye plan from the very beginning. And we knew that the Juubi is extremely powerful.
    The only really interesting thing is Tobi seemingly knowing Kakashi and Gai. But that's all, so for me 2/5 would be appropiate.

P.S.: Where did you read that one shot chapter? I don't find it on any of the major scanlation sites.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Socrates's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Good revieuw.

I dont find the one shot either.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks black! I would give the one-shot a 1/5,as it was long and useless,all focused in the bath . whereas I'd give the chapter itself a 5 out of 5,as it was full of revelation and something great is about to happen. about the connection between tobi and kakashi,I doubt he is obito,and the sentence you quoted was probably referred to gai,who never remembers faces. In fact,it's Gai the one who asks tobi to reveal his identity http://mangastream.com/read/naruto/65097047/14

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Taraku View Post
    Nice review, but I think this chapter was pretty much useless. There was nothing, really nothing, new in it - a whole bunch of chapters ago Tobi stated that he would start the moon's eye plan after he retrieved the pot. We also knew the details of the moon's eye plan from the very beginning. And we knew that the Juubi is extremely powerful.
    The only really interesting thing is Tobi seemingly knowing Kakashi and Gai. But that's all, so for me 2/5 would be appropiate.

P.S.: Where did you read that one shot chapter? I don't find it on any of the major scanlation sites.
    the 2/5 mark was given to the one-shot,the chapter deserved much more,as Blackjack gave it a 4/5.
    here you have the oneshot http://www.mangareader.net/road-to-naruto-the-movie/1 (just checking the ordinary sites )

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you lot familiar with anime? Because if you are then you'd know that these cats easily introduces the same characters, but totally different universes. Kenshin was one, and by god macross whose it in all its incarnations, and need we forget, G-Gundam and Gundam Wing, and yadda gundam whogivesacrap, and before any of you get smart about the characters in the gundam series, just know that the gundams were the stars, not the people.

just think of this naruto road to ninja as an alternate universe that has nothing to do with ours. it happens all the time in anime, so what's the biggie now?

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expletivebmp View Post
    Are you lot familiar with anime? Because if you are then you'd know that these cats easily introduces the same characters, but totally different universes. Kenshin was one, and by god macross whose it in all its incarnations, and need we forget, G-Gundam and Gundam Wing, and yadda gundam whogivesacrap, and before any of you get smart about the characters in the gundam series, just know that the gundams were the stars, not the people.

just think of this naruto road to ninja as an alternate universe that has nothing to do with ours. it happens all the time in anime, so what's the biggie now?
    black surely knows that. yet,it's very common that people wonder when a movie takes place in a parallel universe. it's the same for DB's movies,they didn't take place in the true story,but they were set in a certain time as well. about this movie,it's just strange that sai is with the other rookies while sasori is still alive...I think everyone wondered about that

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

A good review, although I disagree with some of your summary; Tobi does not say to Kakashi "you don't recognize faces", it is addressed to Gai, who just asked who Tobi was. Meaning Tobi might know about Gai as well as about Kakashi (that's for the tobi=obito detractors).
    PS: please correct this "Kurama and the Nine-Tails agree with Kakashi's plan.", as long as Kurama is the Nine-tails.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    black surely knows that. yet,it's very common that people wonder when a movie takes place in a parallel universe. it's the same for DB's movies,they didn't take place in the true story,but they were set in a certain time as well. about this movie,it's just strange that sai is with the other rookies while sasori is still alive...I think everyone wondered about that
    In all the years I've watched anime, they've never stated anything about why, or when, or even if. the macross series was different from all the movies, as were the movies different from each other. it goes without saying that this type of thing happens in japanime often, so if things don't make sense, or are out of place, almost immediately one places the story in an alternate reality. much like stargate atlantis with hot rod meredith mcKay, or Worf being commander to Riker's captain.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ceebo's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

nice review but i think tobi was responding to guy when guy said who are you? then tobi replied you don't remember faces any way.

New Reply