Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128

View Poll Results: Which will we see first?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • What's behind Tobi's mask

25 67.57%
  • What's behind Kakashi's mask

1 2.70%
  • Both. They're actually the same person!

11 29.73%
New Reply

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 595 Fissure

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 595 Fissure

"I can do this..."
    Naruto

This week's chapter offered a nice change of pace from the usual philosophizing, mythology deepening, and complex machinations of past chapters, instead offering up some straightforward action. Last week, I asked you how likely it was that Tobi was Obito and the majority of you find that scenario to be just as unlikely as I did. It looks like we'll find out the masked man's identity soon enough, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Now for the chapter review...

Naruto 595 Fissure
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

Gedo Mazo goes crazy at the beginning of Fissure, his eyes open and crying blood. The title page (used as the banner at the top of this review) promises a 'Great Collision' and the chapter delivers. Our heroes go on the offensive. The strategy: keep to close range combat and focus on creating openings so that Tobi can be targeted the moment he materializes for his own attack. Naruto clones himself and charges in with a miniaturized TBB. Kakashi preps his Mangekyo Sharingan. Guy kicks up debris to use in indirect attacks. Tobi proves more than adept at countering their well coordinated attacks.

Naruto can't get the timing of his attacks quite right to nail Tobi and quite quickly finds himself facing capture. Guy intervenes and manages to repel Tobi with a combination of taijutsu, debris, and some trusty nunchaku. While Tobi furiously attacks Guy with his war fan, Naruto uses that opening to attack.

But all of this is a big distraction for the real strategy. Kakashi goes straight for the statue with Kamui and comes close to ripping its head off.

Yet the attack doesn't quite work. Either Gedo was able to resist the jutsu on its own (which is plausible since it is the avatar of all chakra) or Tobi somehow cancelled the technique with his own space-time ninjutsu. The Gedo then disappeared entirely, leaving our heroes with one option to stop Tobi ... which is to straight up stop Tobi.

Tobi closes in on Naruto again. This time Kakashi comes to the rescue. He uses his lightning release to cut through debris and prevents Naruto's capture with a well placed kunai. Tobi phases through the kunai then redirects it at Naruto. Kakashi kamuis the kunai and Tobi ghosts through a punch.

The chapter ends with our heroes at a loss for how to handle Tobi who has walked away unscathed from their attack save for a small fissure on his mask.

What a week. Kishimoto gives us Shonen Jump cover page, a colored chapter intro page, and a colored double-page spread, all of which were wonderfully illustrated. Yet the highlight (and it was a long, chapter-length highlight) of the chapter is the consistently clear and well choreographed action. The storyboarding is precise. The action is always visible, even with an abundance of obscuring terrain. This is exactly the kind of chapter that should look brilliant animated.

There wasn't much substance (read: character development, thematic development dialogue, philosophy, plot development) to this chapter but there was action and, as I stated above, it was all choreographed in a clear, easy to follow way. It's been awhile since we've had such a thoroughly action packed chapter and Kishimoto delivered one that made the best possible use of its characters and further established Tobi as a threat even when he's restricted to using space-time ninjutsu.

Naruto 595 Fissure was a blast to read so it should come as no surprise that I'm giving it a ...

5 out of 5.

There was not enough new in this chapter to warrant predictions. But there was that fissure! The countdown to Tobi's unmasking begins now.

Actually, I'll also predict that Gedo will continue to awaken in whatever dimension Tobi's hiding it in. Though, if that's the case, I don't understand why he doesn't retreat until it finishes waking up. That would be the safest option to take whereas he risks being defeated by engaging the foe in an unnecessary battle.

Wow, this has to be the shortest review I've done in ages. Well, until next week Allied shinobi...

One Line Reviews
    • Victory is nigh and depravity is even nigher(?) for the humans in Gantz 378. The Tokyo team bears witness to the worst of humanity which is brought out by the end of the war.
    • Unfortunately, not much happens in D.Gray-Man 215 (whose release I somehow missed), though Apocryphos makes an appearance.
    • Tower of God S02 Ch24 Knot of Wool 2 moves things in an interesting direction as Koon revealing that he knows about Rachel's deception.
    • One Piece 675 delves deeper into the conspiracy on the Fire and Ice islands but features a noticeable lack of Strawhat pirates kicking ass.
    • There is another notable casualty in Bleach 502, though I'm skeptical of how lasting that death will be, and an appearance from the one captain who doesn't have a bankai to seal.
    • This was a tough week to pick a best for. I was tempted to go with Bleach because of that audacious ending, but I'd say that Naruto 595 was the Best Release of the week.

2. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ryr's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 595 Fissure

Quote Quote:
    Yet the attack doesn't quite work. Either Gedo was able to resist the jutsu on its own (which is plausible since it is the avatar of all chakra) or Tobi somehow cancelled the technique with his own space-time ninjutsu.
    I think it's either Tobi's space-time jutsu or that fan. There's something fishy about it.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the attacks on Tobi cause the fissure?

Did the attack on the Gedo Mazou cause the fissure?

If the attack on the Gedo Mazou caused it then I predict that Tobi hid it so he couldn't be hurt, but it depowered him. They're going to press him into bringing gedou mazou back then they'll nuke it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Tobi's incredible!
    Last edited by Expletivebmp; July 30, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: my mind's a maze of dumb shit.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member videogamer64's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expletivebmp View Post
    Tobi's incredible!
    How? Minato already proved that he's a hopeless wimp once he actually takes a hit

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by videogamer64 View Post
    How? Minato already proved that he's a hopeless wimp once he actually takes a hit
    In all fairness to Tobi (and this is not to undermine Minato's levels of badass), he didn't really wimp out. He retreated as soon as his sole goa, Kurama, was unbound from him. Minato might have injured Tobi, but Tobi could afford to take the loss at the point in time. And Tobi's plan resulted in Minato's death, Kushina's death, furthering the distrust Konoha had for the Tailed-Beasts, and furthering resentment of the Uchiha.

So setting aside his ability to infiltrate an ANBU guarded delivery room, even being defeated in battle furthered his goals of weakening Konoha and leading to the Uchiha's demise.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Guy kicks up debris to use in indirect attacks. Tobi proves more than adept at countering their well coordinated attacks.

Guy intervenes and manages to repel Tobi with a combination of taijutsu, debris, and some trusty nunchaku.

The Gedo then disappeared entirely, leaving our heroes with one option to stop Tobi ... which is to straight up stop Tobi.
    I might have read another chapter. Guy only uses his nunchaku to attack Tobi, where do you see him throwing debris?
    And where do you see the Gedo disappearing? Isn't that Tobi using his space-time justu to go from the rock Naruto hit to under the ground? This would explain why Tobi did not leave the battlefield...
    Désolé, je ne parle pas anglais.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member videogamer64's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    In all fairness to Tobi (and this is not to undermine Minato's levels of badass), he didn't really wimp out. He retreated as soon as his sole goa, Kurama, was unbound from him. Minato might have injured Tobi, but Tobi could afford to take the loss at the point in time. And Tobi's plan resulted in Minato's death, Kushina's death, furthering the distrust Konoha had for the Tailed-Beasts, and furthering resentment of the Uchiha.

So setting aside his ability to infiltrate an ANBU guarded delivery room, even being defeated in battle furthered his goals of weakening Konoha and leading to the Uchiha's demise.
    I wasn't really calling him a coward but he really can't take any kind of real hit. It just seems that if you get a solid blow in on him his fighting strategy just falls apart. Tobi's skilled in other ways even if his plan is beyond pointless and stupid but his fighting style violates the basic ninja rule of relying too much on one jutsu. The fact that the real Madara has now been shown to arguably be the most broken character in the history of fiction only makes him look even worse.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by videogamer64 View Post
    Like blackjack612 said, Minato was a badass, and rightly so, since he was billed as the genius of his generation. You know who else was billed as a genius? You guessed it, Itachi. So Tobi didn't wimp out, he simply retreated seeing as how his will was done, if only partially. And he couldn't sacrifice himself at that time in a silly attempt to test just how much of a genius Minato was.

Not to mention, Tobi was powerful enough to control and summon the fox. Something only Madara was able to do.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet the attack doesn't quite work. Either Gedo was able to resist the jutsu on its own (which is plausible since it is the avatar of all chakra) or Tobi somehow cancelled the technique with his own space-time ninjutsu.
    See how Tobi avoid Naruto's attack just after Kakashi launches kamui: he does not let it go through his body, but uses his fan as a hook to pull himself away, meaning he was forced to be tangible because he was countering the kamui.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Well I am happy chapter 596 prove I was right, ask me if you want good predictions
    Désolé, je ne parle pas anglais.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks black,I'm sorry I couldn't participate to the debate,but I was on holiday. great review,but it seems you were wrong for what concerns tobi's mask ,instead,I was sure it had to do with kakashi's kamui

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply