Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: Princess Popularity Poll

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yuri

7 70.00%
  • Androssi

2 20.00%
  • Anak

1 10.00%
New Reply

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 105 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tower of God Chapter 105 Review

I am going to be doing some chapter reviews now and again for Tower of God, at Naruto-niichan's request. I can't say exactly how often I'll manage it but I'll do as many as I can.

For those not familiar with my reviewing style from the Noblesse forum section it goes like this...

Spoiler: Basic Structure of my reviews show

Now Onto the Review!

Chapter Summary

Baam, it's never easy to tell a guy this but...you have terrible taste in women.

This week starts off with a flashback of 6 years ago, shortly after Baam went missing presumed dead. In which Koon sits down with Lee Soo and basically lays it all out for him. Telling him that Rachel has deceived them and that he learned from Ro that she could walk from the start. Lee Soo reacts with disbelief but Koon seems calmly explains that there can be little doubt about what she did, he just doesn't know why.

Koon convinces Lee Soo to lead the team so that they can go ahead together and tell no one of what they know because for it would destroy the team that Baam wanted to protect.

He goes on to say that, as the cruelest member of the team, he feels it's appropriated that he alone deals with Rachel who may have murdered their friend. And that he won't let her off easily; implying that whatever he has planned for her is going to worse than a simple death.

Meanwhile back in the present. Koon's new team is working out the pecking order. Novik (the big guy) immediately challenges them all. Edin (the speedster) starts to talk tough back to him but is interrupted by Michael (black guy in sweater-vest), Apple(office lady or transvestite, it's hard to tell), and Gyetang (chicken-man) giving up. Edin is then quickly KO'd by Novik before he can surrender. They all then proceed to take cover as Novik challenges Ran (the little boy that seems to resemble Koon) but the boy is monstrously strong and defeats him.

Then events jump forward a bit to Koon in his office laughing at them as they are lined up in chairs with silly looking sports jersey's numbering 1-6 in order of strength; with Novik wearing a child's size #2 shirt and Ran wearing a massive one with the #1. Michael explains that Novik ordered them before the test, which is why the number 1 was huge and the number 2 was small (he thought he could beat Ran).

Koon has a good laugh and then says that the timing is good because he's just signed them up for an exam. And that it's time for him to explain what he wants from them.

Koon tells them that he wishes to climb the tower and become the new head of the Koon family and when he does he will give them anything they want in exchange for a service. To become a fence to protect Rachel. Be kind to her, help her, and 'pretend' to be friends with her. But don't ever truly become her friend because they must be able to ignore her cries of pain. He suggests they despise her because she is the one who killed his most precious friend as the scene shifts to Rachel laughing to herself in the darkness of night.

Chapter Review

There was an obvious solution to this....
    Spoiler: The Solution show

Substance

This week we learned about Koon's true plan regarding Rachel. He has suspected she was deceiving them almost since the day Baam supposedly died. He seems to suspect some third party schemed against Baam and he intends to use Rachel to find out who, or what, and then probably make them all wish they were never born. He's not been keeping her safe out of kindness but keeping keep her safe in the same way a fisherman keeps his bait safe.

Sadly, this means the rest of the old crew aren't with him. Koon pretty clearly wanted to keep this task to himself so all the people I really want to see are probably together higher up in the tower(*sigh*)

In terms of the "Rachel Fence" squad. To be honest, I'm not finding them that interesting so far. So I'm hoping we don't get much prolonged focus on them.

Presentation

Lots of good artwork particularly in back end of this chapter. Particularly the nighttime scene and Ran and Novik's little scuffle. I particularly enjoyed the lighting touches. Koon and Leesoo looked a little rough at points but not terribly so.

Pacing was fine. With the front end catching us up on Koon and Lee Soo's knowledge of what a deceitful piece of garbage Rachel is, then quickly moving us to the present and displaying the abilities of "Rachel's Fence". Then wrapping things up with a satisfyingly dark ending.

Final Rating

A good wrap up to the Koon side story even considering the noticeable absence of most of the characters I really like.

I give it a 4 out of 5

My thoughts on general events in Tower of God

So true Androssi, so true...

A lot hinges for Tower of God on what comes next. Specifically what comes next with Baam. The "Viole" persona of Baam simply isn't working for me. I can't put it more simply than that. The whole FUG side of the story so far has seemed like a nuisance to character development instead of a deepening of the storyline because it caused the character at the heart of everything to close himself off.

I realize SIU has said that Tower of God doesn't have a main character but, in terms of the structure of the story, I'm not sure how he can say that. It may have been his intent to not have one but, if an entire story orbits around one character, closing off that character and expecting the character development to go unimpeded would be like turning off the sun and expecting flowers to keep blooming.

I believe helping connect the old Baam to his new persona as Viole and allowing him to connect to this new cast that's been build up is going to be the key to making this series great once more and hold down the pangs of "Androssi withdraw" I'm gong through

Thread Question of the Week
    What do you think Koon ultimately plans to do with Rachel? And do you approve?
    Last edited by Jammin; July 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Re-re-phrasing...
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

2. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Monsterguy's Avatar
    Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 105 Review

Wow thnx for the Review...

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I was recently imagining myself that Koon might be planing a scheme against Rachel, what would look like this:

Koon would want to dress somebody up like Baam in order for Rachel to go insane, and for her to tell Koon who was pulling the stings from behind, at that time.

The interesting thing would occur when the one, who is supposed to be Baam would have bad disguise and Koon together with his newly created team would mistakenly find reall Baam and his own current group. While Koon would be thinking how some are masters of disguise, he would become stunned when he would saw them fight in the real test...
    Last edited by Monsterguy; July 29, 2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Spoiler: sample from originally colourful manhwa Tower of God show

It never ceases to amaze me:
    "How are authors of famous manhwa / manga,... able to create such amazing works???"

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job Jammin

I believe helping connect the old Baam to his new persona as Viole and allowing him to connect to this new cast that's been build up is going to be the key to making this series great once more and hold down the pangs of "Androssi withdraw" I'm gong through
    I think it's not that far away Jam even though this is just speculation on my side. SIU mentioned that there will be 2 short arcs (Koon which is over by now and the upcoming one about FUG) - after that a long arc which "most people probably look forward to". My hopeful guess is SIU is talking about Baam coming in contact with the rest of the old group or just a long arc about the old group. Both will probably please you, me and the rest of the fans XD

Though it will most likely take some time until Baam develops trust/sympathy towards the new group.

Ultimately? Killing her, no doubt. Until then he will try to use her in whatever way possible before he "betrays" her in a crucial moment - to let her suffer the same fate as Baam. Sounds like something Koon would do and yes, I approve

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I think it's not that far away Jam even though this is just speculation on my side. SIU mentioned that there will be 2 short arcs (Koon which is over by now and the upcoming one about FUG) - after that a long arc which "most people probably look forward to". My hopeful guess is SIU is talking about Baam coming in contact with the rest of the old group or just a long arc about the old group. Both will probably please you, me and the rest of the fans XD

Though it will most likely take some time until Baam develops trust/sympathy towards the new group.
    We'll see I guess.

I'm very much "not sold" on the FUG aspect of the plot so far. Hopefully, this mini-arc can get me there.

I also thought the thing "most people probably look forward to" would be catching up with the rest of the cast but, considering their positioning in the tower, Baam is going to be catching up to Koon and Rachel before the everybody else; who are apparently all higher up in Leesoo's group. Even in the worst case I would expect Baam's dark phase to end after he catches up to Rachel, so there is that, but still.....that's a lot of chapters between the main story and my favorite characters.

My main hope is that Baam softens a bit so that Arkraptor and Yeon can connect a little bit more with him along the way. I feel like those characters are the richest available right now, they just need the opportunity to shine.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 01, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was toying with the idea of doing ToG reviews if there was no reviewer, but I'm happy to see someone's already providing that content for this wonderful manhwa.

ToG chapter's when paginated are longer than the typical manga chapter, but so much of a ToG chapter is given away to art and the space necessary to make the scroll-able chapter (as it was intended to be read) aesthetically pleasing. So if you're considering doing intermittent reviews, perhaps do them for chunks of chapters (like two or three at a time) since individual chapters seem too slight and sometimes the arcs (Completing Fences aside) are too big to review the arcs themselves.

Regardless, keep up the great work.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply