Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: [JP] Help understanding a couple of sentences

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kaskuli_Kapak's Avatar
    Country
    Uruguay
    Post Thanks / Like

[JP] Help understanding a couple of sentences

I'm translating the extra content at the end of volume 4 of Tegami Bachi, which is supposedly written by Dr. Thunderland, a character from the world of the manga who doesn't ever appear in it. He's talking about certain aspects of the world and the organization they work for. He talks about his son, who works for the Amberground biochemistry advisory committee, gathering data about and investigating all kinds of living beings, and reporting the results to the government.

And here is where I find something I don't get. He says:
    "なんやアメドラになりそうなノリやなー。"
    I have no idea what アメドラ refers to, and I'm pretty sure it's not something in the manga itself. Any ideas?

Then, he says he works for the "世界科学班"; is that "sociology (group/section, whatever)"? I found that "世界" could mean society. What do you think?

And lastly, just after that he says: "なにを隠そう尻隠そう、 このユウサリヨダカ地方における最高科学機関やで。" I don't know if that first part is a kind of joke or what.

Thanks very much in advance!

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [JP] Help understanding a couple of sentences

1) アメドラ means"American (TV) dramas" such as 24 and LOST.

2) World Science Team?

3)
    何を隠そう(なにをかくそう, nani wo kakusou)is a set phrase for: to tell you the truth; to be frank with you

尻隠そう(しりかくそう; shiri kakusou; hide a butt/behind) was just added to make it sound funny.

You should ignore the 尻隠そう part and just translate 何を隠そう. I don't think it is necessary to translate the phrase literally. Instead of [What to hide? Hide the butt.], I would simply go with [To tell you the truth/To be frank with you,].
    Translators' Academy l Translators' Classroom
    Play Japanese shiritori word game!
    [NEW] Shiritori Word Chain Thread @TA Classroom
    Check out out new Summer Threads @TA Classroom!

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kaskuli_Kapak's Avatar
    Country
    Uruguay
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [JP] Help understanding a couple of sentences

Thanks for answering! I'll see what to do with the third one (I'm translating it into Spanish, if I can find some similar joke I'll use it, otherwise I'll just go with the "to tell you the truth").
    As for "World Science", it seems to be something like that, yes. It says it needs a bigger field of vision than the biochemistry one, like several different sciences at the same time. Still, I don't get what it is they do, exactly. (Guess it doesn't matter much, given it doesn't come up in the manga itself)
    Thanks again!

New Reply