Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 596 One Jutsu

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 596 One Jutsu

"Overthinking things won't help."
    Hatake Kakashi

For the length of this review, we're going to ignore Kakashi-sensei's sage advice and overthink things a bit. But first, let's go over last week's poll. I asked which ninja, Kakashi or Tobi, would be unmasked first, and you resolutely voted that Tobi would. After the current chapter, things are certainly looking that way. Seriously Kishi, are we ever going to see Kakashi's face? Oh well, I guess I should be grateful we're getting so close to at least one unmasking.

Now for the chapter review...

Naruto 596 One Jutsu
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

The chapter begins with Tobi and our heros noticing that small crack in his mask. Well, everyone except Naruto of course. Guy figures that Naruto's attack must have been too fast for Tobi to fully deploy, but Kakashi quickly debunks that theory before having a sudden realization. Killer B uses the distraction to make a go at the Gedo Mazo statue*. Tobi, though, is one step ahead as usual and surrounds the Gedo with an Uchiha-specific barrier. By taking the Gedo out of play, Team Kakashi 2.0's only solution is to take down Tobi.

*Correction: In my previous review, I incorrectly stated that Tobi unsummoned the Gedo. In actuality, Tobi teleported before Naruto to deflect the attack/capture Naruto.

Kakashi notes that the crack looks like a cut made from a sharp object and figure out that it was left from the kunai he threw. After figuring out Tobi's ninjutsu, he formulates a plan and his team sets into motion.

Killer B launches his squadmates at Madara. Guy is the first one up. He attacks Tobi with his destructive nunchuk taijutsu. Tobi materializes and warps away his nunchucks.

While the weapons is being warped, Naruto lunges at Tobi from behind Guy with a Rasengan in hand. Tobi simply lets Naruto pass right through him. Halfway through this action Naruto's Rasengan seemingly disappears, followed by an explosion on Tobi's right arm that sends him hurling.

The chapter ends with a revelation: Kakashi has figured out Tobi's jutsu. Rather than possessing two separate space-time ninjutsu for passing through objects and transporting objects to and fro, Tobi possesses one catch-all jutsu that accomplishes both feats. When he dematerializes, Tobi is essentially warping himself outside of the physical frame of reference of the world's dimension.

And that's the key to injuring Tobi. Just as Tobi's warp jutsu interfered with the Kamui Kakashi tried to cast on Gedo, Kakashi's Kamui interfered with Tobi's dematerialization by warping his kunai (after Tobi redirected it at Naruto last chapter) and Naruto's Rasengan into Tobi's side dimension. Tobi is no longer untouchable, but only thanks to a technique that we know Kakashi can't keep up forever. How will this stalemate end?

All in all, the art here was nearly as good as it ever is. This chapter carried on with the crisp character design, fluid action, and detailed backdrops of the past couple of chapters. However, the action wasn't quite as easy to follow as it has been in the past. I had to reread the scene where Guy attacks Tobi to be sure that we're shown him using his nunchucks to create debris and that he didn't instead destroy Gedo's arm which Tobi was using to hit him. The textures of the two obviously don't match up, but the dynamics of that scene were a bit off. The camera starts off so far away you can't be sure it's Guy at first, then it pans in so closely that it takes a while to register that you're looking at nunchucks.

I'll keep this one short and sweet. One Jutsu was a good chapter. The plot wasn't pushed very far along, nor was there much character or thematic development (Kakashi's intelligence aside). It was more of the same: entertaining action sequences that respect the limitations of the characters involved.

That said, the action (as stated further above) could have been clearer and I could have done with a touch less flashback. After all, the key scenes took place only a week ago. I know Kishimoto loves the flashback device but placing a certain amount of trust in the readers (with the acknowledgment that a large segment of the readers are very young) would help streamline the manga and leave more space for plot development or just plain smashing things. Because it's a good chapter but one that leaves plenty of room for improvement, I'm giving Naruto 596 a ...

4 out of 5.

Now that Kakashi's figured out the mechanics of Tobi's jutsu, I think we're moving ever closer to Tobi's unmasking. Using the Doomsday Clock metaphor, I'd say we're three minutes to Midnight where in this case minutes represent chapters until Tobi's face is seen.

Now that Kakashi's outed Tobi's jutsu, I figure there'll be a chapter of Tobi making a serious go at Kakashi, followed by a chapter of comeback ending in a cliffhanger where the the mask is broken, and followed by another chapter beginning with the big reveal.

As for Tobi's jutsu, what is it? Is it Kamui? And if so does that mean that:
    • Kamui is a common jutsu that can be learned by any advanced user of the Mangekyo?
    • Kamui can be advanced further to cast on the user's body and allow them to slip between objects?
    • Kamui is a unique jutsu hinting toward Tobi = Obito (they use the same four letters in the english spelling of their names)?
    • Kamui is a unique jutsu meaning that Tobi collected Obito's other eye?

As for Gedo, even if Tobi is taken down, is it possible the Ten-Tails will continue reviving itself? Until next week Team Mangahelpers...

One Line Reviews
    • Bleach is on hold until the week of the 20th due to Kubo falling ill! It will be missed.
    • I wasn't terribly impressed by the slime WMD in One Piece 676, but I'm willing to overlook that as long as our heroes are rescued soon!
    • With a slight edge over this week's Naruto, I'm giving Best of the Week to Tower of God S02 Ch25. The third and last chapter in a mini-arc whose title has been corrected to the more appropriate and poetic Completing Fences is suprisingly touching. Koon makes clear his goals and purpose on the 25th floor and some of what happened during the timeskip is shown.

2. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member enraI's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 596 One Jutsu

Thanks.. I guess Kakashi have about 1 - 2 kamui to do before he falls asleep.
    Memories are pearls, friendships are diamonds

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enraI View Post
    Thanks.. I guess Kakashi have about 1 - 2 kamui to do before he falls asleep.
    i don't think it has anything to do with the uses of Kamui but rather the size of the objects he warps.

---------- Post added August 05, 2012 at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was August 04, 2012 at 11:50 PM ----------

blackjack612 I suspect Tobi may find a way to incorporate the ET Justsu into his battle as a last resort if he had nothing left to lose. If I were Tobi I'd bring back my right hand Kisame.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks black! what a great interview,and an excellent analysis about tobi's technique and the way to defeat him. this was an epic chapter,which deserved a 5 out of 5,imo. the reason of this mark is because kishi devloped way of defeating him without making tobi stumble ot without using a speed contest as the one minato won. also, an awesome connection between tobi and obito's eye,which can satisfy even those who wanted tobi=obito!

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    also, an awesome connection between tobi and obito's eye,which can satisfy even those who wanted tobi=obito!
    I do somewhat have a problem with such a development. Chiefly, if Tobi's space-time technique is specific to Obito's eye which was one of many he stole, then how could he know Obito possessed such latent talent. He had only awakened one tomoe before dying and it took Kakashi years to awaken that ability.

I kind of have an another idea about this discrepancy though. If memory serves, we've never seen Tobi explicitly use Amaterasu, Susanoo (which would have been extremely useful against Konan), or Tsukiyomi which we've seen verified Uchiha like Madara, Itachi, and Sasuke use. Contrastingly, Tobi has used the copy skills and genjutsu the Sharingan allows,just as Kakashi can, and a space-time ninjutsu that (from memory at least) seems to only be available to Tobi and Kakashi. It could be that Tobi is not an Uchiha but simply possesses the eye (he is a collector) and that when a non-Uchiha implants an eye and awakens the Mangekyo, the eye's abilities are restricted to a certain subclass of techniques. Thus Amaterasu, Susanoo, and Tsukiyomi would be available to Uchiha born, but the space-time abilities are available to those who forced open the eye.

In this theory's favor, Tobi was forced to sacrifice an eye with Izanagi when he fought against Konan, something he shouldn't have had to do if Susanoo was available to him. Against this theory's favor, Tobi might just have not cared since he assumed he was gaining the Rinnegan soon anyway. And if Tobi is not an Uchiha, it's hard to imagine why Madara would have had any positive relation to him or imagine why Tobi so vehemently hates the Uchiha and Senju.

There's also another idea I had. The space-time ninjutsu is only available to those who possess both Uchiha and Senju DNA (or an Uchiha eye and Senju DNA). Yet either through an inability to fully awaken a Rinnegan or the cost of accessing the space-time jutsu, other abilities are locked out.

Or maybe there's just various branches of the Sharingan's evolution with Tobi/Kakashi representing one branch of it's evolution and Madara/Itachi/Sasuke representing another.

Hopefully Kishimoto clears up this ambiguity when he reveals who Tobi is.
    Last edited by blackjack612; August 05, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member TobiOrNotTobi's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep on going with your reviews, they're good stuff.

Either way, here and now i call it... Tobi will use his Rinnegan in the next 1-2 chapters.

His Rinnegan is there to be used also i don't believe he'll use Izanagi again it's not like Kakashi and Co got just one attack (finalblow) that would harm him. 

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    I do somewhat have a problem with such a development. Chiefly, if Tobi's space-time technique is specific to Obito's eye which was one of many he stole, then how could he know Obito possessed such latent talent. He had only awakened one tomoe before dying and it took Kakashi years to awaken that ability.

I kind of have an another idea about this discrepancy though. If memory serves, we've never seen Tobi explicitly use Amaterasu, Susanoo (which would have been extremely useful against Konan), or Tsukiyomi which we've seen verified Uchiha like Madara, Itachi, and Sasuke use. Contrastingly, Tobi has used the copy skills and genjutsu the Sharingan allows,just as Kakashi can, and a space-time ninjutsu that (from memory at least) seems to only be available to Tobi and Kakashi. It could be that Tobi is not an Uchiha but simply possesses the eye (he is a collector) and that when a non-Uchiha implants an eye and awakens the Mangekyo, the eye's abilities are restricted to a certain subclass of techniques. Thus Amaterasu, Susanoo, and Tsukiyomi would be available to Uchiha born, but the space-time abilities are available to those who forced open the eye.

In this theory's favor, Tobi was forced to sacrifice an eye with Izanagi when he fought against Konan, something he shouldn't have had to do if Susanoo was available to him. Against this theory's favor, Tobi might just have not cared since he assumed he was gaining the Rinnegan soon anyway. And if Tobi is not an Uchiha, it's hard to imagine why Madara would have had any positive relation to him or imagine why Tobi so vehemently hates the Uchiha and Senju.

There's also another idea I had. The space-time ninjutsu is only available to those who possess both Uchiha and Senju DNA (or an Uchiha eye and Senju DNA). Yet either through an inability to fully awaken a Rinnegan or the cost of accessing the space-time jutsu, other abilities are locked out.

Or maybe there's just various branches of the Sharingan's evolution with Tobi/Kakashi representing one branch of it's evolution and Madara/Itachi/Sasuke representing another.

well,I agree that tobi would have used susanoo against konan,but we must keep in mind that he has a lot of sharingan in reserve,so he didn't care about losing some to survive. but his right eye is different,his spacetime technique comes from it so he would never sacrifice it. Actually,the difference between his technique and kakashi's kamui is that tobi's eye isn't MS,whereas kakshi's is. about MS techniques, madara used just susanoo,against that fodder ninja he just used a simple sharingan technique (it's not even MS http://www.mangareader.net/naruto/560/7 ),furthermore (albeit kishi stated that sasuke used tsukuyomi against Bee) sasuke never mentioned tsukuyomi amongst his illusions,even here it's different from tsukuyomi http://www.mangareader.net/naruto/585/12 ).
    tsukuyomi is white and black,and only itachi used it,aside from sasuke VS B.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 596 One Jutsu

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post

i've thought this for a long time...but i wrote this on wed...
    Quote Quote:
    i really think that kamui and space/time migration are unique to non-uchiha users of the sharingan...like uchiha adding senju(hashirama)dna...rinnegan.
    but in the case of a non-uchiha...comes these rare techniques...just a stab.

but i have this crazy feeling tobi is in relation to senju/uzumaki more than he is uchiha....
    not only tobi but zetsu...i think both are scorned shinobi that fell in with madara...i also think uzushiogakure has a lot to do with it...

why would tobi make the comment of the uzumaki trademark red hair...like he was from back then....

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

c'mon gnut,we already know how things are . zetsu can't be a scorned ninja,he was created with hashirama's cells either by tobi or by madara. Also,the statement about the uzumaki was made by kabuto too,does this mean he is from that place as well?it may be,but kabuto doesn't know that either ,so that's not the reason. Actually tobi should be a part of madara,since both of them shared the same plan,and according to what tobi has been saying till now! kishi has also revealed in the most recent interview that tobi and madara know each other,and the details will be revealed soon.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

c'mon gnut,we already know how things are . zetsu can't be a scorned ninja,he was created with hashirama's cells either by tobi or by madara. Also,the statement about the uzumaki was made by kabuto too,does this mean he is from that place as well?it may be,but kabuto doesn't know that either ,so that's not the reason. Actually tobi should be a part of madara,since both of them shared the same plan,and according to what tobi has been saying till now! kishi has also revealed in the most recent interview that tobi and madara know each other,and the details will be revealed soon.
    i still have this feeling that tobi is a shinobi...and not a"creation"of a sort...zetsu also.we have yet to see a clone on these levels...if they are...they are the first.
    because there is too much plotting going on by tobi for him to be a mere clone...look at how he handled kabuto and sasuke...not to mention akatsuki...

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

actually I'm expecting kishi to do an epic work! that is,succeeding in combining the theories which have rule over these years,in primis the one concerning obito. tobi should be a part of madara (justifying why he'd been claiming he was him), with obito's eye,zetsu goo ecc. surely he can't be a fodder ninja as u say,because he wouldn't have hashirama's cells,nor that body. furthermore,how could he be able to use sharingan and izanagi in that way?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

but matt...there are possibles other than being a clone...
    a son/grandson,kagami,or a scorned uzumaki...

hell,it could be a ninja of konoha that is doing/behind it all...who knows...konoha hasn't always been the most simpathetic when it comes to families,clans and comades....

there is more mystery behind tobi than just being a cheap last minute clone/puppet...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well,I agree that tobi would have used susanoo against konan,but we must keep in mind that he has a lot of sharingan in reserve,so he didn't care about losing some to survive. but his right eye is different,his spacetime technique comes from it so he would never sacrifice it. Actually,the difference between his technique and kakashi's kamui is that tobi's eye isn't MS,whereas kakshi's is. about MS techniques, madara used just susanoo,against that fodder ninja he just used a simple sharingan technique (it's not even MS http://www.mangareader.net/naruto/560/7 ),furthermore (albeit kishi stated that sasuke used tsukuyomi against Bee) sasuke never mentioned tsukuyomi amongst his illusions,even here it's different from tsukuyomi http://www.mangareader.net/naruto/585/12 ).
    tsukuyomi is white and black,and only itachi used it,aside from sasuke VS B.
    You make some interesting points, though I should point out that the manga and Kishi have solidly confirmed that Sasuke can indeed use Tsukuyomi. It's been stated that Sasuke has awakened all three latent powers of the Mangekyo: Tsukuyomi, Amaterasu, and Susanoo.

However, while the base of these jutsu are all similar, there are differences in their actual manifestations that are related to the person using them. Just as Itachi, Madara, and Sasuke's Susanoos take differing specific forms with unique weapons, or just as Sasuke was more proficient in manipulating Amaterasu than Itachi, the strength and form of Tsukuyomi depends on the users genjutsu skills.

So Sasuke does know the technique. He's just not nearly as good as Itachi when it comes to genjutsu. He can't control the sensation of time and place to the degree Itachi can. It's the difference between expanding the sensation of a few seconds for Danzo or causing Kakashi to mentally endure days of torture in the span of a few seconds in the real world.

This matches up well with what we've been shown of Sasuke and Itachi. Sasuke is proficient at short range genjutsu to disorient or intimidate opponents, but Itachi is renowned (according to Ao) as being able to control others through genjutsu from long distances.

actually I'm expecting kishi to do an epic work! that is,succeeding in combining the theories which have rule over these years,in primis the one concerning obito. tobi should be a part of madara (justifying why he'd been claiming he was him), with obito's eye,zetsu goo ecc. surely he can't be a fodder ninja as u say,because he wouldn't have hashirama's cells,nor that body. furthermore,how could he be able to use sharingan and izanagi in that way?
    Well, Tobi = clone is certainly a possibility and until his identity is revealed we can't complete prove or disprove that idea.

But there are many other possibilities to explain Tobi's ties to Madara and ability, some of which would tie very well into the narrative. To recap some ideas:
    1. Tobi = clone. This would explain his skilll and loyalty to Madara, but introduces the question of why Tobi is showing such agency if he is simply a clone that's part of Madara's overarching plan.
    2. Tobi = Obito. There are point for and against this theory. Worries include: how to explain Obito's interference with the Hidden Rain and assumed longevity, how Obito became so skilled, why Kakashi never thought to double check Obito's grave once he witnessed a rather unique space-time dojutsu.
    3. Tobi - Madara's brother. This would contradict (i think( info in the databooks, but would explain his loyalty, hatred, skill, and longevity. We know Izuna also awakened the MS
    4. Tobi = Madara's son/ward/protege. It works about as well as the above.
    5. Tobi =non Uchiha. This theory is realtively new to me, but it does goe a long way toward explaining the uniqueness of Kakashi and Tobi's sharijngan jutsu. If he's part of the Senju or Uzamaki clans, it would explain his skill and knowledge of Senju, Uchiha,k and the Sage. But it doesn't offer an explanation as to why Tobi is loyal to Madara's ideals.

Come to think of it, Kisame knows who Tobi is. Tobi revealed his face to Kisame and Kisame obviously recognized who the man was. From Kisame's response - and note that he's initially skeptical of Tobi's claim to be Madara -Tobi must be someone easily identifiable which explains why he hides behind that mask.
    Last edited by blackjack612; August 07, 2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Corrected the length of percieved time in Itachi's Tsukuyomi torture

21. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

nice posts,guys . First of all,I'd like to remember you that kishi in an interview did state that tobi is madara,that's why being a clone/part of him would justify kishi's statement,whose contents rule over the whole manga. I could contradict some points,such as
    1)tobi can't be obito,as he attacked the leaf not long since his death. it may be his body,but that's surely someone else. I'm no longer keen on tobi=izuna theory either. I want just to make these points: tobi's body is made of zetsu goo,we witnessed that when torune forced him to remove an arm,and when minato cut his hand off. in vol.52,tobi was seen while he was reproducing his arm by using a machine very similar to zetsu's "hood". zetsu was created by hashirama's cells,so there wouldn't be any point in lying him. yet,tobi claimed to be madara in front of him too,talking in 1st and almost 3rd person,as if he really were a part of madara. in vol.48,tobi tells zetsu that the gedo rinne tensei had to be used for "me",and in vol.59 (when resurrected by the ET) madara thought it was the gedo rinne,and got disappointed once known it wasn't.then he thought this http://www.mangareader.net/naruto/560/2 ,that is tobi did mean to use the gedo rinne to revive madara,that is him himself.
    I hope this post will be useful to explain how things are,because everything is already cleared,imo. Yet,I don't see many guys who share my theory.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

on a side note, @Black, actually,in the volume edition of volume 50 (that is the corrected one,compared to the chapter edition we are used to discuss),sasuke doesn't tell gaara that to use susanoo you have to master both tsukuyomi and amaterasu,he just tells him that you have to develop the MS in both your eyes. http://www.mangareader.net/93-32546-...apter-464.html . about susanoo's forms,they are quite similar for everyone too,imo. there's the 1st level,that is the skeleton one; then there's the "clothed" one (itachi's uses yakata no magatama,used by madara's too,whereas sasuke uses arrows). finally,the 3rd level is the one similar to a tengu,with a pot and a "diamond" in the middle of his forehead.sasuke achieved that in vol.52,but he couldn't use it because of his blindness.itachi's 3rd level susanoo has got totsuka and yata. the difference is that itachi's susanoo is orange,whereas sasuke's is dark. the other form developed by madara is unknown,the double one seems to require the rinnegan,but the giant one doesn't.
    Last edited by mattiaildivino; August 08, 2012 at 05:53 AM.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Socrates's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I share your vision, it is what i think aswell. Tobi is a part of madara, created before his death.

25. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast