Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Why do hollows not just go to Soul Society?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revolation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do hollows not just go to Soul Society?

Apparently, the garganta is to go to and from hueco mundo. And I seem to recall the dangai by it's dangerous nature keeps hollows from going to the soul society. But apparently hollows can just make a garganta right to the soul society, completely not using the dangai at all.

So why with all the souls the soul society has, do hollows not go there en mass? It's no more dangerous than the human world. Both places have shinigami assigned to certain sectors after all.

Someone just needs to make a grand flowchart/diagram of the human world-hueco mundo-dangai-soul society, and how the senkaimons and gangantas connect or don't connect with each of them. o_0
    Last edited by Revolation; August 08, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Bleach 354-356 spoiler and chapter discussions. Most hilarious ones ever. How hueco mundo and The Lust arc killed "ichihime"
    Spoiler: What happened with Nel and Kenpachi after Ichigo went to Ulqiorra(vol 39 sketches) show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity jaymizzo's Avatar
    I had a smaller one but i guess i left it at home
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do hollows not just go to Soul Society?

Ive always wondered that. For plot reasons i suppose.
    The same could be asked of the Quincy not invading SS when Aizen was pawning them. PIS.
    "Man hands misery onto man" - Philip Larkin

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Revolation View Post
    Apparently, the garganta is to go to and from hueco mundo. And I seem to recall the dangai by it's dangerous nature keeps hollows from going to the soul society. But apparently hollows can just make a garganta right to the soul society, completely not using the dangai at all.

So why with all the souls the soul society has, do hollows not go there en mass? It's no more dangerous than the human world. Both places have shinigami assigned to certain sectors after all.

Someone just needs to make a grand flowchart/diagram of the human world-hueco mundo-dangai-soul society, and how the senkaimons and gangantas connect or don't connect with each of them. o_0
    It's quite true that both places have Shinigamis assigned, but say, Karakura Town's protector was the idiot Kurumadani, while there is a certain chance that you'll run into a VC / Captain level Shinigami in SS, whilst the same chance for the real world is close to zero.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There ARE hollows in SS. Remember the one that killed Kaien and the one that almost killed Hisagi? The reason most stay in the human world is because each city only gets assigned a single shinigami while SS has over 3000.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity jaymizzo's Avatar
    I had a smaller one but i guess i left it at home
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Newbie. View Post
    There ARE hollows in SS. Remember the one that killed Kaien and the one that almost killed Hisagi? The reason most stay in the human world is because each city only gets assigned a single shinigami while SS has over 3000.
    Most of those Hollows were brought in by Aizen.
    "Man hands misery onto man" - Philip Larkin

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revolation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Any more input on this? I'm still curious.
    Bleach 354-356 spoiler and chapter discussions. Most hilarious ones ever. How hueco mundo and The Lust arc killed "ichihime"
    Spoiler: What happened with Nel and Kenpachi after Ichigo went to Ulqiorra(vol 39 sketches) show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they just know better. Hollows are raging beasts, but they do possess some level of intelligence. The only Hollows who are powerful enough to square up to the strongest Shinigami are the Menos, and since they only eat other Hollows they have no incentive to bother with SS. Baraggan was talking about how bored he was ruling peacefully over his subjects. You'd think he would have relished waging war with SS, but he never did. With his Arrogance I doubt it was fear that kept him from doing so, just a pure lack of interest. As for the other Hollows, I think they simply lack the organisation to stage a true large scale invasion.

Still, I imagine some Hollows do sneak into Rukongai every now and then. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't. Aizen was behind many Hollow appearances in SS I'm sure, but the Shinigami didn't seem to find it so strange, so I don't think it was an unprecedented occurence.

But also, Hollows start as human souls who are bound to Earth by some burden or other. And the first thing they do is attack the people close to them in life, loved ones and whoever. It could be that Hollows just have a natural inclination towards the World of the Living and lack any similar connection to SS.
    Last edited by NoOneInParticular; May 01, 2013 at 02:28 AM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Zeta42's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

SS is swarming with Soul Reapers, weak and powerful. Going there would be (and is) a suicide for Hollows.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I am of the idea that attacking SS direct is more in line with actual suicide than attacking the human world. Even within the human world shinigami can observe and respond to hollow attacks efficiently in the vast majority of cases. Shinigami can actually tell when a hollow is going to the human world and respond appropriately. What about when going to SS? Odds are shinigami are even better at that one....True, the process is not flawless however from a hollow point of view it will be 99 dead hollows and 1 that gets to cause some damage and then die. I do get the impression that going to SS via garganta is more complicated than going to the human world though. Even the garganta used by urahara for that one is a tad different....

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

The irony is that Hollows apparently can enter Soul Society, but Soul Society could apparently never enter HM prior to Urahara (and even Aizen).
    So the garganta is a superior technique to that which the Shinigami uses? Since it apparently can go whereever they want, whereas Shinigami needs a good grasp of technology and knowledge to even enter HM, or the humanworld / vice versa etc.

That strikes me a bit odd, something is fishy, whether it's a plot hole or not, regardless it needs an explanation.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quantized View Post
    The irony is that Hollows apparently can enter Soul Society, but Soul Society could apparently never enter HM prior to Urahara (and even Aizen).
    So the garganta is a superior technique to that which the Shinigami uses? Since it apparently can go whereever they want, whereas Shinigami needs a good grasp of technology and knowledge to even enter HM, or the humanworld / vice versa etc.

That strikes me a bit odd, something is fishy, whether it's a plot hole or not, regardless it needs an explanation.
    Well if shinigami could go to HM, they'd probably organize a crusade and wipe out most hollows there. Mind that the only real way for stronger hollows (Menos, VL) to appear is for hollows to have a place to gather and eat each other peacefully without interference of a shinigami strong enough to wipe them out easily.
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

New Reply