Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Gantz 370 Discussion/371 Prediction Thread

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 370 Discussion/371 Prediction Thread

But they know that you can use Gantz technology to clone people and have led discussions about how cloning people repeatedly cheapens life. And rebuilding people organ by organ is essentially what the teleportation has been doing all along, just in slices instead of layers. What did the aliens state that the didn't already know?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ruhina's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

The probably knew but wouldn't accept it. I means seriously, if you knew the next time you "transfered" you were actually killed on a molecular level, wouldn't it make you scared shitless when you're about to transfer? It also means that everyone in the room are exactly 5 minutes old, in total.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the issue of there not being a god does have some implications which should be meaningful to the people there. God in general provides a purpose for everything that happens. At least if there is a god things that happen are easier to bear. In turn if they are simply told there is no god then there really is nothing to look forward. I mean, in this scenario the following would happen:

1.- Save a life? die, stop existing, rot.
    2.- End world hunger? Die, stop existing, rot.
    3.- Cure every know type of cancer? You still die, stop existing, rot.
    4.- Rape a person? Die, stop existing, rot.
    5.- Rape 1000 little girls and pee on their bodies? Die, stop existing, rot.
    6.- Kill every person in the world with a smile on your face? Still die, stop existing, rot.
    7.- Live as perfect a life as possible, be loved by everyone, save millions, cure diseases? Still dies, rots and stops existing.

Basically every scenario has the exact same result. You can be honest, perhaps saintlike, you can change lives for the better, you could love and be loved and the end result would end up being the exact same thing as if you had been a lying, manipulative, murdering, genocidal, rapist.

Kurono might have somehow accepted there was no god but that is perhaps something different from accepting there is no soul or that life is literally meaningless to the point that saving humanity is just about the same as being a rapist after death. It depends on the reasoning used too. If one life is meaningless and lacks any inherent value, what about society at large? Society is made of millions of individuals but what gives value to it if the individuals which make it up are worth nothing to begin with?

I would think the responses the guys have shown are coherent to some degree. Its not about just there not being a god, it is about there not even being a soul to the human being, something that makes you an individual past the molecules you are made out of. Its about every experience we have being meaningless after death, that living a good life ends up being the same as living a bad one. At least that is what I think that the ganzters there are going through right now.

*Note that nothing here necessarily represents my own views or opinions, this is just what I think the people there are going through. I have little actual interesting in discussing the actual meaning or meaninglessness of life in this particular forum or section.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhina View Post
    The probably knew but wouldn't accept it. I means seriously, if you knew the next time you "transfered" you were actually killed on a molecular level, wouldn't it make you scared shitless when you're about to transfer? It also means that everyone in the room are exactly 5 minutes old, in total.
    I agree with that. So far they have not really given the whole thing that much thought, they just revived people as they saw fit. They just never actually considered the implications of them being able to upload (as gantz called it) a person from the memory. Right now they are facing the fact that humans can be built as easily as a machine could. What the aliens are doing is assembling molecules in the same way we would assemble a microwave. That development does still lack some context though. The gantz guys will probably bring up how they revived people before and they were happy while the aliens will argue that they simply arranged random matter into a human being.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Coolperson1145's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

kkck, I think you basically nailed it right there. For centuries, humans really want to be needed and feel like they matter. And seeing the way the aliens have presented everything I could see how it brought the gantzers to tears(though probably should tone down how dramatic it is.) The main thing I want to see now if how these Gantzers are going to respond. I don't think they are just going to immediately accept all of this and go finish off the giants, Kei and Katou will probably try to fight the aliens. After all, we've only seen these aliens change their faces and revive a few people, not in action.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvdU...feature=relmfu

this is hilarious guys.

This is a radio show called "opie and anthony" where they are speaking to Theoretical physicist Dr. Micho Kaku

At around 1 hour 30 mins, they start a discussion that is basically all the shit that is going on in gantz right now.

talking about recreating life, recreating the soul, recreating who we are.

Its so funnny to hear it discussed like this, then watch Oku try to make it such a big deal with all the crying.

HAHAHAHAHA

They even talk about the technology of the black ball and how it recreates you every time you are teleported.
    Last edited by kliff2004; September 22, 2012 at 01:20 PM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lolnameless's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

^ no, the first time i read this chapter i found it funny, too
    however, as i think for a moment, those gantzers fought through hell to survive, it's so hellish to the degree that they would like to kill themselves right away, to cut all these pain and insanity(ok, the nishi/izumi kind is an exception), but as you can see, they didn't, solely because they think oneself is important, someone else is important or there's something important.
    Now the god-like alien said no, there's nothing important. That's why they cry.
    To a citizen, we may die just a little inside, if anyone cares
    To a gantzer, it's like EVERYTHING, i think it's safe to say that they don't enjoy life that solid much, if you did imagine all these crazy shit in the manga happens on you.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

That's very true. Emotions would be so high right now after not only a worldwide war happening, but being on the frontlines of that war as well? If there was ever a time to question your existence and the worth of your own life now would be it.

Still, knowing that tensions are so high and that this kind of behavior is reasonably natural, it still feels inconsistent with the characters as a whole. This thing should not be the straw that breaks the camels back. That bubble chicken nonsense should have shattered the teams morale, not these scary god aliens.
    Last edited by Damura; September 22, 2012 at 09:09 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member GAT-X252's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but i still found it too far fetched that Kurono is going to start crying like a baby just because an alien is saying bad things about humanity.

The worst part of it is that this is supossed to be the shocking revelation, the great truth behind everything and i just see it as one of the worst attempts of Oku portraying the bad aspects of humanity. The "humans are arrogant and bad" is just so overused, and the revelation that we are not "divine" just comes as something obvious for me (as an atheist). This should be worst for theist people since this kind of revelation is just absurd, nothing but lies.

The way OKu draws tears make it look like they were something sticky...like glue or something.
    (キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!)

心臓がドキドキドキドキ!!!!

06/25/09 - Goodnight Sweet Prince

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

I could see it happening if people had made a conscious decision to trust in a higher power and put their lives on the in some last ditch effort to solidify their position as 'good people'.

But... these people have always seemed like atheists to me. Maybe I'm just projecting that onto everybody because it's what I believe but when have ANY of these people demonstrated themselves to believe in a God? If anything it's been the complete opposite.

It's just very odd, and difficult for me to rationalise in the context of everything else that has been going on since day 1.
    Last edited by Damura; September 23, 2012 at 03:01 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAT-X252 View Post
    Sorry, but i still found it too far fetched that Kurono is going to start crying like a baby just because an alien is saying bad things about humanity.

The worst part of it is that this is supossed to be the shocking revelation, the great truth behind everything and i just see it as one of the worst attempts of Oku portraying the bad aspects of humanity. The "humans are arrogant and bad" is just so overused, and the revelation that we are not "divine" just comes as something obvious for me (as an atheist). This should be worst for theist people since this kind of revelation is just absurd, nothing but lies.

The way OKu draws tears make it look like they were something sticky...like glue or something.
    Well, it is not something which could have been done better to be fair. This aliens are supposed to be from a much more advanced and intelligent civilization than ours. In this particular regard what the author is trying to do is plain impossible. He is creating characters who by definition are beyond human intelligence, basically characters who by definition are superior to the author. All the author can really do is present some idea or notion of what these guys are like however actually describing their opinions which are beyond humanity is impossible because the author is only human and has at best human intelligence. He got in too deep with this IMO and is only presenting some idea of nihilism as if it was fact....

New Reply
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17