Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 587 by BadKarma , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Small questin about Luffys way of speaking

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Small questin about Luffys way of speaking

Ive been trying recently to get a hang of japanese a bit better and I am starting to work out dialogue but I am having a hard time with Luffy. I know people in anime can have varied ways of speaking depending on what effect they want the character to have, like Nel in Bleach lisping or sayng the silent u out loud.
    I wonder if anyone who is kinda well versed in Japanese could fill me in on if Luffy is talking strangely or if it's just me that sucks

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small questin about Luffys way of speaking

Quote Originally Posted by Sanadan View Post
    Ive been trying recently to get a hang of japanese a bit better and I am starting to work out dialogue but I am having a hard time with Luffy. I know people in anime can have varied ways of speaking depending on what effect they want the character to have, like Nel in Bleach lisping or sayng the silent u out loud.
    I wonder if anyone who is kinda well versed in Japanese could fill me in on if Luffy is talking strangely or if it's just me that sucks
    Maybe try ask in the Role Play section as well? Might be some there with experience

I don't think it's you who sucks, it's more like it takes a very special voice to talk like Luffy, imho.
    Quote Quote:
    Mayumi Tanaka (田中 真弓 Tanaka Mayumi?, née Abe (阿部?), born January 15, 1955) is a Japanese voice actress[1] from Tokyo currently affiliated with Aoni Production.

She is best known for the roles of Ryuunosuke Fujinami in Urusei Yatsura, Pazu in Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Monkey D. Luffy in One Piece, Krillin, Yajirobe and Uranai Baba in Dragon Ball and Megaman Volnutt in the Megaman Legends series and other Capcom crossovers.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayumi_...sion_animation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdKwZX_Orb4
    (Turn down speakers, might hurt your ears from the applause afterwards)
    As you see, Luffy does not have a male voice, it might very well be impossible to imitate Luffy's voice so it sounds right, naturally, with a male's voice.
    The rest is sound editing programs

Behind the scenes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMt2i...eature=related
    This one is quite interesting to watch actually xD
    Last edited by Quantized; August 13, 2012 at 04:39 AM.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small questin about Luffys way of speaking

Thank you, I will try that section

New Reply