Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1999 vs 2011 Versions

I love the 99 show. I love the freaking ost; music; dark themes; orgasmic fight scenes/animation. And anything mentioned above.It was one of the greatest things in my life that I layed my eyes and ears upon.

I hate the 2011 version, in that respect, for having inconsistent animation. The artwork is great don't get me wrong but damn the animation flutters scene to scene and episode to episode, and the excessive use of still shots. Mediocre sound selections.

But you know why I like 2011 more??

G**amn characterization.
    Finally, they got the characters right!
    Finally, we got some solid directions!

No matter how I love the fights and animation in 99. Theres no freakin way that can beat the way 2011 impose the right character impression.

You know what? I would rather have the music and animation of 99 (of course sharper and clearer quality/20th century quality) + faithful characterization of 2011 = Damn perfect adaptation!

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kamen Rider Dragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't agree with that. The 2011 anime has very consistent animations. Characters models are usually always spot on episode to episode. The 99 anime was very inconsistent with so very off model episodes and some atrocious fight scenes like Gon vs Illumi. It did have fight scenes that were fantastic but let's not pretend every episode was fantastically animated. Don't really understand the dark themes thing though.

4. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the 2011 anime is by far one of the most CONSISTENTLY well animated anime shows I've seen. Yes, some episodes have better animation than others.
    But even at it's worse, you'll still see animation in how characters talk and how they walk. Other shows will seem very static in comparison. Or if they
    have fluid animation they'll totally abandon structure. 2011 has very fluid animation but it does not abandon structure so much.

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

When i watched the 99 version i was but a little tadpole. It has this profound effect on me. So in the animation department, my visual acuity of it may be a liitle hindered or bias. From time to time, I watch my fave ep like the Hanzo fight or Kurapika vs Ubo or Celestial towers. Most of the episodes that had excellent fights.

I do no deny that i hate that Illumi vs Gon fight. Nor the way they make Gon run after his badge in the 4th exam and let Leorio take Ponzus badge after they were reacued by him. The manga and 2011 version made Gon collect Ponzus badge as a rescue fee. And a bunch of stuff i hate. Like I wish Leorio was the one chased by Mike instead of Gon. It kinda takes aways Gons charisma against animals.

Dark themes is usually pertained on the soundtrack.

Keep in my mind this is just me looking the 99 and 2011 version side by side. But in the animation department, comparing the 2011 to other shonen animes or some other animes in general, its pretty damn fantastic. Inconsistent is the word i describe the stillshots and hows some scenes are better than the others, when apparently it should be the other way around.

Again the 2011 is my favorite version. There are just some things i cannot forget with the 99.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

*Scratches chin* Y'know, a question I've wanted to ask for a while now is this: Is it really necessary to classify one series as 'better' than the other?

If I'm hard pressed to answer the question posed by the original post, it is my firm opinion that the manga is better than both 99 and 11. With that said, I can agree that there are things the 99 version did a lot better. (Music, general atmosphere, and some pretty beastly fights.) And things the 11 version does better (animation, art direction, characterization.) Though we have to keep in mind that Madhouse has a distinct advantage since more of the manga is out for them to play around with, and animation has evolved a bit since 1999. I personally loved some scenes much more in '99 (The very first episode I saw was Franklin mowing down the mob, and the music, the atmosphere, and voice acting were incredible.) While 11 has overall some of the freshest animation I've seen in a shounen. (Shivers went down my spine during 11's Gon VS Hisoka match. The lack of music, the camera angles and everything were perfect.) I love the 2nd OP for the 99 series, and would pay money to reunite WINO to do an updated version 'Taiyou wa Yoru mo kagayaku'. for this series. Not to mention the preview music for 1999's is on my ipod right now. (Think I'll give it a listen after I type this.)

That said, I don't understand why one has to be better than another, or how one is any less of a HXH fan if they prefer 2011 or 1999. Most people who hate the 2011 version made that decision before the show actually began so it makes sense that no matter what it does, it sucks. Meanwhile people who hate the 1999 series didn't actually watch more than the first few (admitably slow) episodes. Once again, Furuhashi had to make do with what he had due to Togashi being on the very first stages of 'Togashi biyou' (Known to all of Japan as Togashi-sickness) though once he got past the hunter exam and beyond the series became a classic. Though I will admit his characterizations left a lot to be desired. Gon became this perfect kid, Killua became a member of Linkin Park, Leorio became a less sophisticated version of Donkey Kong, and lets not forget how the show went from 'Hunter X Hunter' to 'Kurapika: warrior princess' once we got to the yorkshin arc. I'm sorry guys, its well done, but Furuhashi's glaring crush on Kurapika was kind of evident. 2011 is being impartial to no one character and is all the better for it.

So now that Madhouse has gotten over being scared of being censured, I'm enjoying things even more. One thing that Togashi does better than other Shounen mangaka is his complete ambivelence to violence. Without that, it's just not...Togashi. As HXH fans we all know how hiatuses have become a part of the series to the point that we not only know of them, but we expect them. The fact that this time around we have at least an anime and an anime movie on the horizon while the hiatus continues should be something to rejoice. Not to mention whether 2011 is your cup of tea or not, it's doing it's job of bringing new fans into the mix which I believe is a good thing. Who knows, these new fans might check out the 1999 series and find it more entertaining. I dunno. My point is that we have more HXH than ever and I really don't give a shit about whether one series is better than the other. Why does it matter if one likes 1999 or 2011? (For the record I own all of the first TV run, the 3 OVA's and all 28 volumes of Viz's translationsl, so I am not talking out of my ass.) Why does one have to be 'better'? What is 'better' anyway? If you ask 100 people, you'll get 100 different answers. If you hate 2011, fine. If you hate 1999, fine. If you love both, fine. To me as long as HXH is being discussed among fans, that's what matters. So once again, I'll ask my original question. Is there a meaning for classifying one series as 'better' than the other? Saying 'better' is just the entitled words of someone who wants to force their opinion on someone else. 'Better' is subjective, no matter how much one argues about it. My posting this is not to curtail expression and discussion, no...quite the contrary. It's always fun to discuss your opinion....as long as people remember that an opinion is just that.

Two cents and then some. Keep the change.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

9. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    *Scratches chin* Y'know, a question I've wanted to ask for a while now is this: Is it really necessary to classify one series as 'better' than the other?

So now that Madhouse has gotten over being scared of being censured, I'm enjoying things even more. One thing that Togashi does better than other Shounen mangaka is his complete ambivelence to violence. Without that, it's just not...Togashi. As HXH fans we all know how hiatuses have become a part of the series to the point that we not only know of them, but we expect them. The fact that this time around we have at least an anime and an anime movie on the horizon while the hiatus continues should be something to rejoice. Not to mention whether 2011 is your cup of tea or not, it's doing it's job of bringing new fans into the mix which I believe is a good thing. Who knows, these new fans might check out the 1999 series and find it more entertaining. I dunno. My point is that we have more HXH than ever and I really don't give a shit about whether one series is better than the other. Why does it matter if one likes 1999 or 2011? (For the record I own all of the first TV run, the 3 OVA's and all 28 volumes of Viz's translationsl, so I am not talking out of my ass.) Why does one have to be 'better'? What is 'better' anyway? If you ask 100 people, you'll get 100 different answers. If you hate 2011, fine. If you hate 1999, fine. If you love both, fine. To me as long as HXH is being discussed among fans, that's what matters. So once again, I'll ask my original question. Is there a meaning for classifying one series as 'better' than the other? Saying 'better' is just the entitled words of someone who wants to force their opinion on someone else. 'Better' is subjective, no matter how much one argues about it. My posting this is not to curtail expression and discussion, no...quite the contrary. It's always fun to discuss your opinion....as long as people remember that an opinion is just that.

Two cents and then some. Keep the change.
    You win the internet *cries* T_T
    Well said. People are getting exposed to HXH old and new. That's all it matters. Sharing the orgasmic story of inspiration.

11. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    You win the internet *cries* T_T
    Well said. People are getting exposed to HXH old and new. That's all it matters. Sharing the orgasmic story of inspiration.
    Pretty much. We HXH fans are fortunate. Other manga fans only get one anime that isn't just a continuation. We are part of the elite class that get two anime adaptations and a movie. Why the hell are we flaming each other comparing the two? Watch what you like. Period. 99 has its bright points, 11 has it's bright spots. Both have things that utterly fail. The manga even fails in some aspects. HXH is good but it is not perfection whether it be now, 12 years ago or on paper. I'm just damn happy that it's around when Togashi isn't.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kamen Rider Dragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    Pretty much. We HXH fans are fortunate. Other manga fans only get one anime that isn't just a continuation. We are part of the elite class that get two anime adaptations and a movie. Why the hell are we flaming each other comparing the two? Watch what you like. Period. 99 has its bright points, 11 has it's bright spots. Both have things that utterly fail. The manga even fails in some aspects. HXH is good but it is not perfection whether it be now, 12 years ago or on paper. I'm just damn happy that it's around when Togashi isn't.

15. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"HXH is good but it is not perfection whether it be now, 12 years ago or on paper. I'm just damn happy that it's around when Togashi isn't."

YES. This is more important to me then this entire debate at this point.
    Freddy? ....No, HISOKA!!-Agon's famous last words.

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot there was a thread for this. Thought I'd share the Hunter x Hunter 99 vs 2011 Anime Say episode. He hits some pretty good points and his overall opinion on this arguement is pretty fair.

http://youtu.be/4UXrKUAkLHw

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess it's my turn to give my opinion on this...

Spoiler: Long post is long show
    Last edited by SHINOBI-03; August 28, 2012 at 02:36 PM.

21. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought i'd share this. A comparison on both versions of GR meeting at yorkshin. The presentation is leagues different..

1999: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0lQa...ailpage#t=520s

2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZF_...ailpage#t=371s

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^I actually liked the Phantom Troupes introduction in the Madhouse version better than both the manga, and Nippon animations version.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^I don't remember how the manga had it... lol I just thought that 2011 had better voice actors and the whole presentation of them.. Than the 1999 anime.. lol

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Phantom Troupes introduction in the 1999 series follows the manga almost panel for panel.
    Spoiler show

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Thread Closed
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast