Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17
Results 241 to 254 of 254

Thread: 1999 vs 2011 Versions

  1. #241
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    737
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    I think 58? I'm not sure. It's somewhere around there. I thought the 1999 handled it rather well.
    Thanks! man. I just watched the scene, and I thought it was good, and the blimp flying over them was a nice touch.

    HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

    "That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

  2. #242
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    737
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Yay! I guessed right!

    But now the 64 millionaire dollar question again?

    Which is the more GAR? 99 or 2011?
    2011. Why? Silva rape-face + epic slow motion walk, and dat Zoldyck theme

    HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

    "That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

  3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #243
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    How do you interpret Kurapika's character during that episode? He seem like he was depressed to me.. haha..

    Anyways... The entrance of the 2011 seem better executed...but the 1999 wasn't to far behind.

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #244
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    How do you interpret Kurapika's character during that episode? He seem like he was depressed to me.. haha..

    Anyways... The entrance of the 2011 seem better executed...but the 1999 wasn't to far behind.
    Honestly I didn't have any interpretation of Kurapika...He was just there for me. Which I think is fine. I was glad to see the focus on Light and the Zoldycks.

  7. #245
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Honestly I didn't have any interpretation of Kurapika...He was just there for me. Which I think is fine. I was glad to see the focus on Light and the Zoldycks.
    Are we talking about episode 58 or episode 49? During episode 58 of the old version Kurapika seemed depressed more than tired..Did you interpret it the same way?

  8. #246
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Are we talking about episode 58 or episode 49? During episode 58 of the old version Kurapika seemed depressed more than tired..Did you interpret it the same way?
    Episode 49. Which were you talking about.

    Episode 58---I dunno Kurapika seemed to turned into a middle age man with a mid-life crisis or something.

  9. #247
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Episode 49. Which were you talking about.

    Episode 58---I dunno Kurapika seemed to turned into a middle age man with a mid-life crisis or something.
    I was actually talking about episode 58 since you and netero were discussing it. Kurapika didn't even have enough screen time in the 2011 to even make an assumption as that.

    Episode 58: Kurapika seems depressed more than tired

    Epsiode 49: I didn't see anything that showed that he even fought 2 episodes ago.

  10. #248
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    I was actually talking about episode 58 since you and netero were discussing it. Kurapika didn't even have enough screen time in the 2011 to even make an assumption as that.

    Episode 58: Kurapika seems depressed more than tired

    Epsiode 49: I didn't see anything that showed that he even fought 2 episodes ago.

    That makes more sense then.

  11. #249
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Poland
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    During episode 58 of the old version Kurapika seemed depressed more than tired..
    Yeah, he seemed more depressed than tired especially since:
    - he couldn't maintain materialization of his chains
    - he barely walked to his room
    - he couldn't stand

    The "logic" of 2011 fan at it's best.

    1999 version made obviously more sense by showing how tiring is the god-mode Kurapica uses. In 2011 version it looked like he can use it without any consequences. As for his prayer later, it's not like much has changed. Uvo was only one of many he wants to kill and it's not like he has suddenly revived some of his clan members by killing him. Of course he won't be jumping with joy.

  12. #250
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The depths of human reasoning.
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    Yeah, he seemed more depressed than tired especially since:
    - he couldn't maintain materialization of his chains
    - he barely walked to his room
    - he couldn't stand

    The "logic" of 2011 fan at it's best.

    1999 version made obviously more sense by showing how tiring is the god-mode Kurapica uses. In 2011 version it looked like he can use it without any consequences. As for his prayer later, it's not like much has changed. Uvo was only one of many he wants to kill and it's not like he has suddenly revived some of his clan members by killing him. Of course he won't be jumping with joy.
    lol 1999 logic seems to cloud your judgement as well, since the manga doesn't have Kurapika looking drained either, so you're really not much better than the poster you are trying to ridicule. For you see in the original manga, he was exactly as MH drew him. Admitably I thought the change in 1999 was decent (decent but still unnecessary.), but lets not start calling logic into the question because you would technically lose my good buddy. Just because 1999 decided that they wanted to weaken Kurapika up so that we'd be forced to feel 'daww that was so hard on him', doesn't mean that's how the events actually transpired. MH isn't at fault here, they were following what Togashi had drawn, which is what any good adaption is supposed to do- not go on weird tangents for no discernible reason because the director happens to favor one character over another. If you dislike what they did then you'd have to blame Togashi since he at least apparently didn't feel that Kurapika's 'god-mode' should tire him out.

    The prayer is still sort of misplaced, and changes the character from it's original intent along with being yet another example of 1999 trying to force us into feeling a certain way. I don't want to be told how to feel.
    Last edited by Bomber D Rufi; September 30, 2012 at 04:33 AM.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

    Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

  13. Like 8 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #251
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Poland
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1999 vs 2011 Versions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    lol 1999 logic seems to cloud your judgement as well, since the manga doesn't have Kurapika looking drained either
    What does it have to do with anything? Read with comprehension please. I've replied to a particular thing Noonealive mentioned about and the fact he was able to discern depression from exhaustion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    lets not start calling logic into the question because you would technically lose
    lol
    In other words, if in manga something is illogical it becomes logical because everything Togashi writes is logical by default. OK. And I'm devastated that I would lose but I think I'll manage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    Just because 1999 decided that they wanted to weaken Kurapika up so that we'd be forced to feel 'daww that was so hard on him', doesn't mean that's how the events actually transpired.
    Again, read with comprehension please. I never said anything like that, where's this coming from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    If you dislike what they did then you'd have to blame Togashi
    Who says I'm not blaming him? I've been saying from the start that old anime > manga > new anime and that old anime has actually made the story and characters better (example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4, example 5...) and that it's a perfect example of how directing should be handled (while 2011 version is a perfect example how not do it). I've written more about this matter here: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...=1#post2783942

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    MH isn't at fault here, they were following what Togashi had drawn, which is what any good adaption is supposed to do
    If you think that way then it doesn't surprise me that you can't see how great director of 1999 version is. Also:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit Kat
    It's kinda sad that no one knows the definition of an adaptation nowadays if it's broken down to something as simple as "this was copied exactly like the source of material" and ignore the direction of the scene altogether. It's equally as sad when the notion of a director putting his/her input into a scene instead of just copyng straight from the source is bashed by fans because "THAT WASN'T HOW IT WAS IN THE _______". So pretty much going by the logic of SHINOBI-03, HybridBloodsZak, and kitten 320 the Naruto is a good because it sticks 1:1 with the manga while the Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal OVAs are bad because the director decides to do his own thing rather than copy word for word and panel to panel from the manga. Ther's no such as an adaptation that's 100% as the source of material, hell, not even the 2011 HxH is all that faithful to the manga given the plethora of omits (*cough* Kaito *cough*) and other silly edits it's laughable to see fans get relied up over something as silly as a character's behavior which doesn't deviate anything from the scene being adapted or changes anything about the character itself.
    Last edited by Goral; September 30, 2012 at 05:20 AM.

  15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  16. #252
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1999 vs 2011 Versions

    Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    Yeah, he seemed more depressed than tired especially since:
    - he couldn't maintain materialization of his chains
    - he barely walked to his room
    - he couldn't stand

    The "logic" of 2011 fan at it's best.

    1999 version made obviously more sense by showing how tiring is the god-mode Kurapica uses. In 2011 version it looked like he can use it without any consequences. As for his prayer later, it's not like much has changed. Uvo was only one of many he wants to kill and it's not like he has suddenly revived some of his clan members by killing him. Of course he won't be jumping with joy.
    But 2011 is how it is in the manga. God Mode makes Kurapika wobbly. That's it as far as we know.

    Also depressed people aren't exactly "jumpy". Maybe Kurapika actually WAS so tired that he could barely walk to his room or stand
    though the manga showed no evidence of that. All we got is wobbliness. Make a phone call. Bury Uvogin. DRIVE. Taking orders from Light.

    If Kurapika was so tired he couldn't even stand then I find him being able to drive in that condition to not make much sense at all.

    Besides that if Kurapika is just REALLY FRIGGIN TIRED then why is it given so much attention? I mean it's seems like a rather strange thing to put so much focus on Kurapika being tired after the fight especially considering it was a mere foot note in the manga. Also the bleeding moon symbolism doesn't help your case. :/




    Also why is Kurapika not being tired after using God Mode "Illogical"? I mean isn't the fact he has SUPER POWERS illogical?

    ---------- Post added at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 AM ----------

    Originally Posted by Kit Kat
    It's kinda sad that no one knows the definition of an adaptation nowadays if it's broken down to something as simple as "this was copied exactly like the source of material" and ignore the direction of the scene altogether. It's equally as sad when the notion of a director putting his/her input into a scene instead of just copyng straight from the source is bashed by fans because "THAT WASN'T HOW IT WAS IN THE _______". So pretty much going by the logic of SHINOBI-03, HybridBloodsZak, and kitten 320 the Naruto is a good because it sticks 1:1 with the manga while the Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal OVAs are bad because the director decides to do his own thing rather than copy word for word and panel to panel from the manga. Ther's no such as an adaptation that's 100% as the source of material, hell, not even the 2011 HxH is all that faithful to the manga given the plethora of omits (*cough* Kaito *cough*) and other silly edits it's laughable to see fans get relied up over something as silly as a character's behavior which doesn't deviate anything from the scene being adapted or changes anything about the character itself.

    Nonsense. If something is copied EXACTLY like the source material than it WOULDN'T ignore the "direction" of the scene. It just doesn't follow
    the direction YOU want it to follow. Take this most recent episode. In the 99 we get filler with Kurapika being...REALLY TIRED and in the manga
    we don't seem until later and he seems fine for the most part. 2011 is the one that is actually following the "direction" of the scene not the 99.
    The 99 is the one that decided that we needed to spend some time with Kurapika for whatever reason. Togashi on the other hand decided
    to change focus to Gon and Killua and when we got back to Kurapika it was as if nothing happened. We're NOT supposed to think "oh man
    what a brutal fight Kurapika has been through" like we do in the 1999 version. At least not if you aim to tell the same story as Togashi.
    Yes, it's true that adaptations are never 100%. But they should still resemble the original source material. Otherwise you might as well
    film a orange exploding and call it "Pride and Prejudice". So what if it has nothing to do with the original source material aside from the
    name? It's just directorial input! Wanting adapted stories to be like their original counterparts should not be seen as "sad".

    And actually YES. Naruto anime IS a better adaptation than Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal OVA given that Naruto anime actually
    resembles the Naruto manga. It's the same story with minor minor minor differences...while Kenshin OVA and Kenshin manga are NOTHING alike.
    Maybe Kenshin OVA makes for a better film but it doesn't make for a very good adaptation...not if you actually want the same story as the manga.

    Change in behavior is huge and hardly "laughable". Do we really want an adapted comic of Darth Vader who's a total wuss?
    And I mean a SERIOUS adaptation. Do we want to SERIOUSLY look at Vader as a complete and utter wuss? I hope not!
    Vader is a imposing and powerful figure and if you make him a wuss...well it's not really Vader anymore. It's Lamer.
    A wussy Vader might work for a PARODY. But an adaptation...No THANK YOU. To say changing a character's behavior
    doesn't change the character is beyond stupid. That's like saying if I committed murder that wouldn't change how
    I would appear to others. UH...YES IT WOULD! Actions help to define who you are. Would Hisoka be Hisoka
    if he didn't KILL people?

  17. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
  18. #253
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Country
    Dubai
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1999 vs 2011 Versions

    -EPISODE 49-

    Spoiler: Part 1 show


    --

    Spoiler: Part 2 show

  19. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  20. #254
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1999 vs 2011 Versions

    Moderator message by: Uriel
    Again: What people think or think not, do or do not...it's not business to be dealt here. It's a versus thread. Present your arguments, discuss nicely and avoid ANY ad hominem you can think of. I'll close this thread until I can come up with a good way to deal with this.

    Avoid comparing in other threads, please.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Thread Closed
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts