Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo

View Poll Results: The final villain of the series will be...

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tobi

2 3.92%
  • Madara

17 33.33%
  • Sasuke

17 33.33%
  • Orochimaru

8 15.69%
  • The Ten-Tails

7 13.73%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 597 Secret of the Spacetime Ninjutsu

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 597 Secret of the Spacetime Ninjutsu

"It's too late to regret. Reality is just cruelly moving forward."
    Tobi

For the length of this review, we're going to ignore Kakashi-sensei's sage advice and overthink things a bit. But first, let's go over last week's poll. I asked which ninja, Kakashi or Tobi, would be unmasked first, and you resolutely voted that Tobi would. After the current chapter, things are certainly looking that way. Seriously Kishi, are we ever going to see Kakashi's face? Oh well, I guess I should be grateful we're getting so close to at least one unmasking.

Now for the chapter review...

Naruto 597 Secret of the Spacetime Ninjutsu
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

Kakashi explains his theory about Tobi's jutsu to Naruto, Killer B, and Guy at the beginning of this week's chapter. Apparently, the jutsu Tobi uses to warp objects is the same one he uses to evade attack, and rather than becoming intangible or wholly untouchable, he selectively and quite precisely warps the parts of his body that would take damage away to another dimension. Kakashi was able to injure Tobi in the last two chapters by sending his Raikiri-ed kunai and Naruto's Rasengan to Tobi's pocket dimension. Thus, the areas of Tobi that were injured were the areas he made intangible to attack.

Kakashi's analysis also confirms that his Kamui and Tobi's jutsu are connected to one another. Guy seems like he's about to ask Kakashi a question that's been coming up a lot lately: Is Tobi Obito? But Kakashi cuts him off to ask Tobi himself where he got that eye.

Tobi answers casually. He picked it up during the last great war after the battle on Kanabi bridge where Kakashi became the Sharingan Hero.

What happens next is rather hard to explain, having read multiple translations of the chapter. Tobi chides Kakashi again for opening his mouth so easily, insults him as a man who's all talk, and warns him that it's too late for regrets. The motive for all this is a bit muddled, even if he was Obito himself.

Tobi again argues for his point of view, this time pointing out that in his new world 'heroes' won't have to make promises on the graves of their dead friends and fallen comrades to atone for their past failings. Obviously a dig at Kakashi. Nor do they have to live with the regret of abandoning or failing to complete the wishes entrusted them by their predecessors. This time it's a dig at Naruto undertaking a solution for peace.

Kurama steps into the debate briefly, though, to refute Tobi's claims. That Naruto was even able to befriend Kurama means he's come further than most on his quest. Moreover, Kurama was left to Naruto by the Fourth for the express purpose of defeating Tobi. He would only fail his mission if he gave in now to anything Tobi says. The chapter ends with Naruto's resolve reaffirmed by his unlikely ally's support as he launches into another attack.

The art this chapter was fairly good with the standout being the colored double-page spread that opened it. Just as Naruto's grown throughout the series, Kishimoto's style has changed and grown with him. Kakashi's illustration of Tobi's skirmish across dimensions is also pretty impressive and unexpectedly eerie with the floating, partially-there body parts.

Well I feel very conflicted about rating this chapter, so I guess I'll start with what I liked. To begin with, the art, dialogue, and plotting was as masterful as always. In particular, I think Kishimoto conveyed the tension between Kakashi and Tobi very well. Even Guy, who's not always the brightest bulb on the tree, understood the implications of Kakashi's theory and was worried about his comrade.

Then there's the theory itself which I am for the most part satisfied with. The mechanics of Tobi's jutsu seems legit enough, although I have to wonder about how his body connects to itself between realms. Do his blood vessels and flesh feed into some sort of portal at the boundaries between realms? And as for the eyes themselves, how would Tobi possibly know Obito's eyes carried such potential? I have two theories about the latter. Either Obito is from a specific lineage within the Uchiha who have specialized gifts (similar to Shisui's specialized genjutsu) or Tobi just collected every Sharingan he could and decided to use the one with the best abilities.

I also liked the smaller character bits with Naruto and Kurama. Naruto's grown so much over the series (evidenced by the colored double-page spread) and Kurama got to display a little independence before the faux-Madara that the real Madara denied he had.

That said, I was very disappointed by the lack of action and by the amount of space given over to the jutsu's explanations. Given all that happened less chapter, a more concise telling would still have been easy to follow. But I'm most dissatisfied by the repetition of Tobi's arguments. He doesn't say anything in support of his Moon's Eye plan that we haven't heard before. He throws in more specific references to the character's dreams, but we've already seen them reject Tobi's reality. And Tobi's views themselves come-off as cartoonish Bond mastermind: empty foretellings of doom without much substance to back it up. Until we understand who Tobi is and his motivations, it'll be hard to become invested in his plot as a real threat with motive behind it.

So I'm giving Naruto 597 a...

4 out of 5.

One Line Reviews
    • Bleach 503 is back with extra Kenpachi and extra Captain-Commander. What more do you need to know?
    • The counterattack begins in One Piece 677 and some interesting uneasy alliances are formed.
    • In Billy Bat 78 and 79, Urasawa begins another trademark narrative digression, this time focusing on the chapters' titular Serial Murder Case. Speaking as a fan who considers Monster perhaps his best and most tonally consistent series, I welcome the shift towards simmering creepiness, which is not to say that these two chapters don't include the same amount of racial and historical commentary or time travel craziness that makes this title so compelling.
    • But the best of the week has got to beTower of God S2 Ch26 and Ch27. S.I.U. finally starts doling out explanations and backstories in the first two chapters of the FUG arc.

2. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 597 Secret of the Spacetime Ninjutsu

about time black...started to get worried about'cha...good review
    But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie. Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member marshall313's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 597 Secret of the Spacetime Ninjutsu

I think someone said that tobi can make anyone or his fan into intangible just like him. But from kakashi's explanation, it seems to me that he can only use his intangibility to himself.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Black!!! what an accurate explanation! not to brag,but I had already foretold this chapter . tobi's power is really how I expected. and this confirms that his eye is obito's. I'd have given this chapter a 5/5,though. kurama's statement was awesome as well after all

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marshall313 View Post
    I think someone said that tobi can make anyone or his fan into intangible just like him. But from kakashi's explanation, it seems to me that he can only use his intangibility to himself.
    Here he makes the fan and its chain intangible

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member MangaPage's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Good review
    I agree with most of what was said.

Actually, we have seen Tobi transporting other people to the other dimension (like Sasuke & Karin during the Kage summit), and we now know that it's the same jutsu as the one that makes it seem like his boby is intangible, so yes I suppose he can use this jutsu on other if he's touching them. However, to make someone else's boby seem intagible, he would have to send only a part of him/her to the other dimension, so I suppose it's more difficult. He might have to be touching that precise part of the persons body to send it to the other dimension, and in actual battle that would just be stupid. So I think he can use his jutsu on others for practical means like avoiding them getting hit or capturing them, but not to make others believe that that person's body is intangible.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing wrong with all that attitude Naruto and Kurama are throwing out, is that they don't have the power to beat Tobi by themselves, at all. Maybe the 4th should've also left some space time jutsu for Naruto to improve on, so he could beat Tobi.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

if he couldn't extend it beyond his physical body, then he'd have lost all his clothes too

naruto kicks him once and his robe flies away, leaving him stark naked

that's not exactly the cool and menacing tobi kishi wants to portray

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member apathism's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post
    if he couldn't extend it beyond his physical body, then he'd have lost all his clothes too

Even worse, it would leave him without his mask!

Kage-Baka No Jutsu!

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    about time black...started to get worried about'cha...good review
    It was all a case of timing. I actually had this all typed up and ready to go Friday, but I had a bit going on this weekend and couldn't post it until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by mako View Post
    Can someone explain why this person's reviews are being stickied? I don't think most people care about "BlackJack612"'s reviews. And who reviews manga chapters anyways? This isn't movies where you decide to watch some and not others based on reviews lol.
    I replied to this in more length in your PM. But I'll reply here so that there's a response in our public space.
    1. It's stickied because of a recent change to review threads. Reviews used to have their own dedicated subforum. Now the old reviews get archived and the latest review gets stickied by the admins or mods. If there were multiple reviews of this chapter, I'm sure they'd all be stickied in time. In fact, when I first started there were a good three or four of us going. That's why the 'blackjack612' is included in the title. If just a way to identify who's doing the review in that case.
    2. Reviews serve different purposes for different readers: recap, analysis, forum for more focused discussion than the general chapter discussion thread. Sure, this is serialized fiction which means that we're reviewing works in progress rather than a complete work like a film. But it's hardly revolutionary. Television is now being reviewed by episode. Serialized fiction is reviewed just as regular fiction is. American comics often get reviewed on issue by issue basis. These chapters are short, but there can be a lot of subtext in any week's 16-22 pages. Sometimes Kishimoto gives us straight-forward fisticuffs. Sometimes he lays down some philosophical food for thought. And sometimes he drops a revelation that causes us to reconsider all that came before.
    3. If it's not content you want to read, you could simply (and maybe this hasn't occured to you) ignore it. Choose not to read it. I doubt there are many MH members satisfied with or who read 100% of their favorite forums front pages. The great thing about offering this much content is that it leaves a little something for everyone, even if a particular thread isn't everyone's cup of tea.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 597 Secret of the Spacetime Ninjutsu

Quote Quote:
    It was all a case of timing. I actually had this all typed up and ready to go Friday, but I had a bit going on this weekend and couldn't post it until recently.
    i'm just bustin' your balls bro...i had a bachelor party and a wedding to attend this weekend...i was hung over like a MF on mon...no prob...but always appreciated...thumbs up baby...

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

i tell ya bro...i'm xcited bout the up comin chaps...finally sum resolve...right
    But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie. Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post

No. What i mean is if he can make anyone to intangible if he wants to.

I'm not talking to his clothes at all. Because it was pretty obvious that he can intangible together with his clothes. Well, it's the same as ACE. He can burn anything and yet his hat and his short pants are perfectly fine.

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Ajman
    Post Thanks / Like

Who reviews manga chapters anyways? This isn't movies where you decide to watch some and not others based on reviews lol.

Waste of time really.

The problem is the reviews don't serve any purpose. And this is a kid's manga we're talking about --- targeted towards very young people. There isn't that much literary depth/quality to these and the story, really isn't that sophisticated --- Naruto will inevitably and unrealistically save the day).

The plot is quite simplistic, and kind of amateurish but it's intended to be considering, again, it's a child's Japanese comic strip not Mark Twain here. Nevertheless, it's an entertaining story.

Anyways, my point is that these reviews are nonsense, and frankly kind of obsessive.

Of course, that's my opinion, but I think a majority of people would agree with me (maybe not on the forum but in real life).
    Last edited by Gats; August 22, 2012 at 05:53 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner SlashUnited's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

No one forces you to read the reviews, if you don't like it then just don't read it! If Blackjack likes to review the chapters he has the right to do so, what's your problem with that? As you can see he has some readers, so some people like his reviews.

You're no one to tell if it's a waste of time or nonsensical...

And how is being an otaku not a normal or good thing? Borderline psychiatric problems? How the hell being an otaku means you have psychiatric problems? It's not because some are freaky that every otaku is mentally ill... Generalization at its worst...

On topic, i liked your review as always Blackjack, it's always an interesting read

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, let him be. That's his opinion. And maybe he's one of blackjack's critics.

It was his first post in this forum/site. and yet he's already a critics to blackjack's review. But anyway, welcome to MH mako.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast