Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128

View Poll Results: Villain Rating: Yuri (Pick the word that you think best describes him)

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diabolical

1 14.29%
  • Malicious

1 14.29%
  • Dangerous

3 42.86%
  • Obnoxous

1 14.29%
  • Annoying

1 14.29%
New Reply

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 246 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 246 Review

No prediction this week.... because I couldn't think of one.

Now onto the review!

Chapter Summary

This panel looks too much like a Calvin Klein add for me to enjoy it.

This week begins with Crombell being informed by Yuri that M-24 has escaped from one of his labs, which he seems to find intriguing because of the fact that those guarding the facility were supposed to be far stronger than than the escapee. He seems pleased and orders Yuri to keep the escape covered up.

At the school M-21, Tao, and Takeo are greeted by the groundskeeper as they do their patrol and gushes for a bit about how happy they all seem together and how good it is that they have friends they can rely on. Then they are greeted by Shin Woo, Raizel, and the whole gang as they all head home. The girls ask them if they they have any requests for dinner tonight, since they decided to do the cooking. They give their preferences, M-21 somewhat awkwardly, and then the group leaves.

As they stand there Tao asks how much longer this can last. Takeo asks him if he's feeling worried about something and he replies that, essentially, it's just weird to have a life this happy. Takeo's answer Tao is feeling apprehensive because for the first time he has something he "wants" to protect.

On that cue, the scene switches to M-24 looking pretty downtrodden as he makes his way through the city. More enhanced humans in suits quickly find him and pin him down while doing a little trash talking but M-24's power surges and after that he quickly takes them out and resumes his weary walk through the city leaving the men in his wake.

The scene shifts to Sangeen and Yontsu looking at the same place sometime later. They realize that superhuman strength was used here but the Union hasn't given them any word about the situation. They decide rely what they found to the RK-5 and Sangeen makes the call.

Tao gets word from Sangeen as they finish cleaning up from dinner and he, Takeo, and M-21 head out to investigate.

Chapter Review

"Sangeen, I know you always get left out of the man-candy fanservice shots but we can't hold it up for you."

Substance

Doesn't seem like there is much substance this week, to be brutally honest about it.

M-24 has vastly increased in strength; though it's unclear if this is just the naturally evolution of his old modifications or something new that Crombell did. Either way, he's managing to overpower Enhanced humans that are supposed to be out of his league. The fighting has taken it's toll though and it seems unlikely he can keep this up forever, fortunately 3 of the RK-5 are on the way.

There was some underscoring of how much improved the lives of M-21, Tao, Takeo are since they settled in to their new situation. But that isn't anything new and was probably just there to provide contrast for how bad M-24's lot in life is at the moment.

Presentation

The art was rough. Characters didn't look well defined and weren't really all that expressive. The action panels were "ok" but not great. Paradoxically, the background work looked pretty good.... go figure.

Pacing in the beginning was a little on the slow side for my tastes. I felt like the point that was being hammered home with those scenes with M-21, Takeo, and Tao was not really necessary to begin with(Yeah, they have a better life now....we know). Then the groundskeeper and dinner conversations ended up seeming somewhat redundant on the point.

The transitions were a strong-point though, especially in the last half of the chapter. I liked how it went from M-21, Tao, and Takeo right to M-24's misery then the use of time in the scene transition to Sangeen and Yontsu. Very smooth.

Final Rating

Just not a very interesting chapter. The artwork was below average. The pacing seemed unnecessarily slow. It moves the story forward, a little, but other than that there just isn't much here.

I give it a 2 out of 5

My Previous Predictions(Current Record 17-18)

Nothing proven or disproven.

Spoiler: Ongoing show

Thread Question of the Week
    How do you feel about M-24's return plot-line so far and why do you feel that way?
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 245 Review

I pretty much agree with your rating for this chapter. I was struck at the 'sketchy-ness' of the characters. It's like he didn't have enough time for the art. For the background art, it was good as always... I wonder if it is just some pre-made buildings that he slips in behind the characters... it is still his art... you don't have to re-make the wheel every time. It's just this time around the art discrepancy really stands out.

Oh, and as for Yuri, I would have described him as 'Backstabber'... but it wasn't an available option.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzers View Post
    I pretty much agree with your rating for this chapter. I was struck at the 'sketchy-ness' of the characters. It's like he didn't have enough time for the art. For the background art, it was good as always... I wonder if it is just some pre-made buildings that he slips in behind the characters... it is still his art... you don't have to re-make the wheel every time. It's just this time around the art discrepancy really stands out.
    Noblesse does seem to use a lot of "stock" backgrounds I spend a lot of time critiquing that because it can really detract from the scenes sometimes; because the contrast between the foreground and background can look pretty ugly.

But usually it's the foreground making the background look ugly. This time it was reversed. I've no idea what the cause of that could be.

I'm thinking maybe the artist doesn't necessarily draw pages in chronological order and is spending a lot of time on the more important scenes and just kinda blowing through this stuff because it's really not all that important. I mean, if I had to pick two chapters to be sub par art-wise it would have been these last two.

--------------------------------

And it also probably doesn't help that the other series I'm currently reviewing "Tower of God" has been throwning out just absurdly good panels these last few weeks. Such as.

That landscape shot is probably not even in the top 10 panels of the last few weeks. It's just the only one from which no plot spoilers could possibly be gleaned.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it's hardly deniable that it was a stage setting chapter.Thus the 2 out of 5.

Quote Quote:
    Noblesse does seem to use a lot of "stock" backgrounds I spend a lot of time critiquing that because it can really detract from the scenes sometimes; because the contrast between the foreground and background can look pretty ugly.
    There are a lot of repetitive settings like the School,the House,the Lab...I don't mind Reusable BGs,especialy if it helps the artist to focus on Improving characters drawing,the Art has been down lately...

Quote Quote:
    Thread Question of the Week
    How do you feel about M-24's return plot-line so far and why do you feel that way?
    To me this will be firstly a test of consistency,you see M-24's body used to be Unstable without the pills so unless Crombell got rid of the Instability,I expect some feedback on that matter.

I feel that the time has come for the KSA duo to return the favor to the RKs...for the time being,A Wandering M-24 can mistake Na Yontsu for one of Crombell's goon then fight right before M-21 & Co's arrival.....The Tension between Yontsu/M-21 would go through the Roof!!!!

About the likeliness of M-24 joining the RKs....guys just forget it,how can I explain ? see the last panel ? M-24 does'nt fit with the fashion criteria recquired lol 90% of the girls would drop Noblesse if M-24's cute monster face butts in
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 246 Review

I know you will use that pic. I just know. It's the return of our dearest loving-caring-and-dedicated school securities, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    M-24 has vastly increased in strength; though it's unclear if this is just the naturally evolution of his old modifications or something new that Crombell did. Either way, he's managing to overpower Enhanced humans that are supposed to be out of his league. The fighting has taken it's toll though and it seems unlikely he can keep this up forever, fortunately 3 of the RK-5 are on the way.
    I wonder if RK-3 can beat M-24, at least to keep him silent a bit. I think their level must be minimal the same with those who guarded M-24 since this is Crombel we're talking about, but they can be stronger as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Pacing in the beginning was a little on the slow side for my tastes. I felt like the point that was being hammered home with those scenes with M-21, Takeo, and Tao was not really necessary to begin with(Yeah, they have a better life now....we know). Then the groundskeeper and dinner conversations ended up seeming somewhat redundant on the point.
    Redundant and useless at this time, probably. However when we're shown this kind of happy scenes, it means something bad -- really bad -- will happen in the future, I'm afraid.

New Reply