Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does One Piece anime pacing turn people off?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does One Piece anime pacing turn people off?

Quote Originally Posted by chess4 View Post
    yall complain way to much. if they did the anime like the manga it wouldnt make sense. jsut like during the fishman island arc, the mangas didnt show how zoro and crew got released from the cage, but it did in the anime. a lot of the manga is left up to the imagination. when u flipped the page, the strawhats are in a completely different area.

its all about the profit and i aint mad, hell i would do an episode a chapter as well......get yo money oda
    I really difficult to read what you just wrote and rofl, I don't know if I am going to take you seriously once you started your sentence with yall. And thank gosh, not every artist thinks like you or fans that just accept what you accept. Because hell, you love low quality shit, then please go ahead.

This is a huge observation. As fans, we just want improvement on our beloved series. The trend is that it hard to get people who only watch anime into liking One Piece. People who read One Piece are more likely to watch it.

And I have already stated like a bzillion of time that it doesn't matter if the fillers are 100 or 200 episodes. I can simply chose not to watch it.
    However, there must be a balance. Beside, it not like I am going to die for not watching Naruto in one or two years. There are plenty of other series out there in the meant time.

What is the point of this thread? Well, I already know it not like going to change anything. I think my main original point was how to get people who only watched anime into the One Piece series. I have persuade quite a few friends into reading the manga. But damn, it is a difficult process.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    I think my main original point was how to get people who only watched anime into the One Piece series. I have persuade quite a few friends into reading the manga. But damn, it is a difficult process.
    Well, One Piece is one of the big four tv animes of the last 10 years within the Top 5 of TV rankings in Tokio IIRC, and the most successful manga of the last ... well, ever since it already sold way beyond 200 million tankobon. It's not like the fanbase is forced to support it to make it grow even further by promoting it to non-fans - even though it's always good to promote the seriesses one likes. One Piece actually can't grow better in TV as it would need to beat the real classics running for like 30-40 years - which is sort of impossible.

About the anime: Even though it is popular, I don't think you can convince people who started off watching seriesses and movies like -uh- let's say Ghibli movies and Gundam and Macross seriesses and such - the high budget quality stuff with big names - just by "go watch it, it's good stuff", unless the One Piece humor and action really hits them by the first few episodes. I think that might be one key.

Nevertheless, OP is the first (and only?) anime with a pirate theme on the open sea. Maybe that's a bait to lure some watchers. And it's not like "One Piece on TV" uses much CGI aside from the floating sea and ship models to appear flashy and modern (it wouldn't fit anyways)...

But the best way is:
    Spoiler show

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't think it's THAT bad but then again I'm skipping the latest chapters of OP anime due the awful arc and awful adaptation (Luffy getting owned by Hodi is...sinful)
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post
    it would be annoying if they took 1/2 a year off between each arc

greedy, maybe, but them doing this might be for protective reasons instead. an anime series that stops frequently would lose its viewers. inconsistency/unpredictability can make people lose interest

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

i would like them to remake the anime though

at the end of th manga series, if they would dedicate their efforts in remaking the entire epic with perfect pacing and zero time concerns, i would pay for such a remake
    to make it clear, i have not followed the anime

in general, all anime adaptations annoy me with their pace

i'm defending one piece's anime dragginess relative to other animes (relative scale)

on the absolute scale, i'm not touching it until they remake it with perfect manga pacing

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The chance they are remaking it are near 0. Who would want to remake 20 years of manga when the current adaptation already sells good despite its quality ?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    The chance they are remaking it are near 0. Who would want to remake 20 years of manga when the current adaptation already sells good despite its quality ?
    when it stops being of any commercial value when the entire series is over

one day maybe 5 years after the anime ends people just stop buying it, then they will have a remake and people will empty their pockets again!

i'm waiting for the latter. the former is not getting a single cent out of me

look at dragonball kai

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally thought I was the only one who thought the pacing was ridiculously slow! That's why I don't watch the anime! I remember watching last week's episode just for the kicks and I almost died, seriously, it was painful.

Thankfully, I started OP from manga and finished to current that way. Only looked at anime for fights (which were still slow...).

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ledoke's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    It's not really a remake but wasn't a movie that recaps all pre-timeskip stuff in the making? I remember someone making fun of One Piece by saying that the anime is so stretched out that you could fit all 500 episodes of it into one 90 minutes movie XD

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    I think most watchers wouldn't bother a slow pacing if drawing style, animation quality and interpretation of movements weren't changing that much not only from one episode to another but also scene-wise sometimes (Nami's Gust Sword from Episode 557, the anime's interpretation of Luffy's new Gear 2). Since Enies Lobby there aren't that many scenes where one could say that all of it is balanced.

Heck, but I'm still glad that that scribble kid who ruined the Enies Lobby finale hasn't been doing whole episodes again since the time skip.
    You're spot on when you say execution is essential,for example take ep 558:Sanji's Armée de L'Air Rubber Shoot was litteraly Horrible though I don't mind some fillers,not the entirety of them are craps,especialy Fighting Fillers like

Spoiler show

Animation is good without being great,what bothers me the most are small details and some of the current voice acting(you're a tough one if you stand Shirahoshi's voice).Speaking of which,in the latest ep fleehoshi was breathing like she was actually outdoor with her attempt to draw Noah away from FI It was just weird,not to say Lame
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    (Luffy getting owned by Hodi is...sinful)
    they....did....WHAT?!

Putting aside my newly gained bloodlust, As far as the anime is concerned I haven't been bugged but it is definetly by circumstance. I've been getting the anime collections (since my mom forced me to show her some of One piece is now more addicted than even I am to it) and the begining dosn't seem as bad and as I'm going through skypeia I definetly see something of a change but it hasn't felt as drastic yet.

I pretty much jumped in and out of the CP9 during my initial getting into one piece but I remember how bloody anoyed I was just looking through the episode list to see a bunch of flashbacks as they jumped off the damn tower. Seriously know this arc is a pivital momment and all, that was just one damn pannel! I've also been watching the fishman island arc animated since unlike alot of fans don't hate the arc (Just hody and his shitty co hoards) The paing is definetly slow and while I did like the material in the flashbacks, It was a rather long and trying treking. Plus I hated how some of the starting actions were animated. I was most disappointed in Zoro's showing off and especially disappointed in Sanji's skywalk. I know its for rotating artists and I think a bunch of animes do that but really...
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides from the complete filler arc episodes, the Train-Jump Episodes were the worst in my opinion.
    Last time i watched one piece through, i just skipped some of that episodes to reduce the time waste.

I also skip some single filler episodes. even though i think most filler are still worth watching.
    Well the single filler episodes in the beginning of One Piece were pretty cool. I talk about the few episodes after Alabasta.

I really like the Episode where usopp is making fireworks, or when chopper tells robin about Doc Kulleah. Or now that i think of it, in alabasta arc there were also some filler episodes featuring ace. They are really cool. I like the episode with the 3 guys who lie about being in rebel army, or the desert pirates!
    At that time where i first saw those episodes i didnt read the manga that far, but i kinda knew that they were filler. Even though i liked theese episodes really much.

On the other side, i hate small filler arcs. Like with Ryu the Dragon, The Rainbow Mist, ot the Pheonix Pirates (After enis lobby arc).
    And most of all i hate filler episodes with, i just say, "Random stuff"

At enies Lobby it started with Chopperman and stuff like that. Wow i didnt manage to watch the whole episode. It just felt that wrong...
    I felt ashamed when turned it on tv with my GF watching too...

Episodes like this are just wrong in my opinion.
    Instead of making Chopperman (and stuff) Episodes, they have my permission to make Cover Story Episodes instead.
    In the beginning of one piece we also had the Buggy Cover story in 2 episodes, and the Corby Helmeppo one, they were great in my opinion.

Why not coninue making that? I mean its even canon to the series. There are plenty of examples where it wouldve been really nice. Like aces hunt for blackbeard and the Milk delivery.
    We dont know yet if the escaping of the CP9 from the destroyed Enis Lobby is important. How will they explain it in the future when they have a come back?
    OK i admit that enerus journey to the moon is veeeery cheesy, but i think its more entertaining than chopperman.
    Last edited by BurnSchulz; August 30, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Humm idk, since I started reading the manga because of the anime i dont actually felt those problems, for me enies lobby arc on the anime was so epic that i couldnt think of another thing than watching the next episode, actually it was even better that the War arc for me. But I must be the minority a guess ^^

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't say the pacing is as bad as other anime. Though sometimes I feel animators could have done a little more with an episode, though I don't think it's that big of deal since I've read the manga - so I already know what is going to happen. There have been a few episodes recently where I haven't watched the full episode because of the pacing, but then again, as I already read the manga, watching the anime is just to pass the time while I wait for the next chapter.

On the plus side, at least One Piece are a lot more tolerable than other series. I think One Piece have some of the best filler episodes compared to other anime.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm i like the anime . Comparative with other animes , One Piece doesn't have many fillers but it's true i don't always like how some important things are changed in the anime . The only thing that i would have to complain about is the little differences from the manga . That is what pisses people off IMO

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BlackSword's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The anime is meh... Like the plaza fight scene on Fishman Island has Zoro and Sanji attacking individual 'fodder pirates'...
    IMO if Zoro or Sanji attacked individual cannon fodder the poor cannon fodder would probably spontaneously-combust from too much awesomeness. It was okay to do that sort of thing during Enies Lobby but now... Even if they are holding back they are still probably going to kill normal weaklings...
    And there are a few scenes where the swords are too short or you can see attacks completely missing... The anime also has a lot of 'lets stare at a single thing for like 3 minutes...'
    All in all Manga all the way! I usually just youtube the 'big fights' when I'm bored and read the manga every week :P
    Last edited by BlackSword; September 09, 2012 at 03:17 AM.

"The black blade that cuts your troubles away."
    Spoiler: One Piece Predictions ~ 09/06/2012  show

Supporter of Usopp: Cleavage diving extraordinaire! - 09/29/2010
    My opinions are subject to Radical, Unpredictable, Illogical change without notice.

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast