Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Asian Drama Thread

Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Asian Drama Thread

Oh well I'm gonna flip tables if the prosecutor dies as those dramas like to do that to those "third main character" guys who are serious and likeable and they carry the "second ship". The current scene with the
    Spoiler show
    SUSPICIOUS! -.-

That Winter, The Wind Blows, I think I will watch it then. I've always wanted to watch something at the time it airs, actually xD

I was also reminded that I started Secret Garden and didn't finish it, so I think that will be next on my list. I've heard it's really good, and I'm one of those (few?) that actually really like gender benders.

Dramas currently seem more appealing to me than anime and manga :/ It's probably cause I'm such a romantic and I haven't received any recommendations for good shoujo when I was looking for some xD
    Last edited by Darjaille; February 15, 2013 at 03:01 PM.

ex oriente lux

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darjaille View Post
    Oh well I'm gonna flip tables if the prosecutor dies as those dramas like to do that to those "third main character" guys who are serious and likeable and they carry the "second ship". The current scene with the
    Spoiler show
    SUSPICIOUS! -.-

That Winter, The Wind Blows, I think I will watch it then. I've always wanted to watch something at the time it airs, actually xD

I was also reminded that I started Secret Garden and didn't finish it, so I think that will be next on my list. I've heard it's really good, and I'm one of those (few?) that actually really like gender benders.

Dramas currently seem more appealing to me than anime and manga :/ It's probably cause I'm such a romantic and I haven't received any recommendations for good shoujo when I was looking for some xD
    Spoiler show

I think i will open a thread for That Winter, The Wind Blows. Would be nice if we can exchange out views concerning the episodes.

Secret Garden was really good, despite being really cheesy. First, you have trained and seasoned actors as main actors which already increases the quality of a drama. The storyline is rather good, the OST is really addictive and the love story is sweet.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler: City Hunter, K2H show

ex oriente lux

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darjaille View Post
    Spoiler: City Hunter, K2H show
    Spoiler show

Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

ex oriente lux

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the ending was definitely rushed but i guess we can not blame the writers on this one. I agree with you though, a bit more romantic moments would have increased the enjoyment even more but the series was never a purely romantic drama anyway. At least he got to free himself from the shackles of his past and his "duty" and got to live a life with the woman he loves. One thing i never understood though: Why is the drama named City Hunter? It got almost nothing to do with the manga. Maybe they wanted to use the name to attract even more audience, though it is questionable how the name would help with that.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand how you feel Darj. I also can't rate City Hunter and K2H high enough because they dragged a bit for the last episodes.

so far what I loved for 2012 are the tvN productions, the 45 min-16 ep formats- Queen Inhyun's man, Shut Up Flower Boy Band, and Reply 1997.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

MiyamotoMusashi-san, please do start the thread for That Winter, The Wind Blows! Finished with the first three episodes yesterday and it'd be great if the three of us can have a place to share the craziness over the series. <333

*laughs at the 'trend' currently discussed* I know, right, some script writers just love to give that kind of impact in a series. My heart was broken when both characters discussed had to had that happened to them, but it served the purpose right if it was indeed for emotional blow. And the bitter relation to reality that 'good people don't live very long'.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    I understand how you feel Darj. I also can't rate City Hunter and K2H high enough because they dragged a bit for the last episodes.

so far what I loved for 2012 are the tvN productions, the 45 min-16 ep formats- Queen Inhyun's man, Shut Up Flower Boy Band, and Reply 1997.
    The cable shows are really up and coming in the last 3 years. Channels like OCN, tvN or even jTBC produce really high quality dramas. Their production budget is bigger than the networks, their actors, writers and so forth are not overworked like the ones in the network and the writing is way more innovative and creative, they are willing to try new things. Dramas like Joseon X-Files (highly recommended), Vampire Prosecutor, Padam Padam, Queen In Hyun and so forth easily belong to the best series of the last couple of years and the trend shows that cable dramas are getting more and more popular.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kyouria's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also watching "That Winter, The Wind Blows."So many events already happened within three episodes that left me shocked, confused, or heartbroken. I really hope the ending will be a happily ever after but a deep feeling tells me that it will leave me in tears.

What is the difference between cable shows and mainstream dramas? I've watched dramas online for far too long so I haven't really paid attention to which broadcast company an individual drama came from.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouria View Post
    I am also watching "That Winter, The Wind Blows."So many events already happened within three episodes that left me shocked, confused, or heartbroken. I really hope the ending will be a happily ever after but a deep feeling tells me that it will leave me in tears.

What is the difference between cable shows and mainstream dramas? I've watched dramas online for far too long so I haven't really paid attention to which broadcast company an individual drama came from.
    Yeah, it´s one of those dramas where you hope for a happy ending but already suspect that it will end badly.

Pretty much the same as in America. You have the big three networks KBS, MBC and SBS (a bit similar to ABC, CBS and NBC in America) and of course pay-TV cable networks like OCN, tvN or jTBC (similar to HBO, Showtime or Starz) which have more budget for their respective shows and TV series, have also way more time for writing and shooting the series which provides a more human working environment, especially compared to the inhuman schedule the cast and crew have on a commercial network drama. In America, you can clearly see the difference in quality between commercial and premium broadcasting, the best series are for the most part produced by either HBO, Showtime or AMC (Dexter, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Game of Thrones and so forth). In Korea, the difference is not as big as in America but it pretty develops towards that state.
    Last edited by MiyamotoMusashi; February 18, 2013 at 03:55 PM.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouria View Post
    I am also just watching online, but I do notice networks when the dramas are really memorable. I just happened to notice that what the three good shows I enjoyed had in common was that they were from the same network. And yeah, now that MM (yep that's what I'm calling you ) mentioned the parallel with American networks, it does make a lot of sense.

I have often heard about the so-called "schedule" issue. Apparently they do it almost live when the broadcast reaches mid-season sometimes. So it puts a lot of pressure on the actors, the writers, editing team, er, basically everyone, and the quality is very much affected.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

About "That Winter, The Wind Blows". I don't think such series can have a happy ending, sadly. Or at least there's bound to be some negative results even if the main couple can be happy. Oh, well. It won't stop me from watching, haha~

I didn't know the difference between cable drama and the usual ones up to that extent. Thanks for explaining!

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay I just want to say that I started a Japanese legal drama called "Legal High". I don't know the reason why I watch this apart from a friend of mine like this very much. I hope it is as good as it sounds.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Okay I just want to say that I started a Japanese legal drama called "Legal High". I don't know the reason why I watch this apart from a friend of mine like this very much. I hope it is as good as it sounds.
    http://mydramalist.com/japanese-drama/3661/legal-high

The score is pretty good. I'm not sure about mixing law/legal aspects with comedy but it sounds pretty interesting. How is it so far?

New Reply
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast