Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Asian Drama Thread

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Asian Drama Thread

honest, I did not know him a month ago!

Right now even at work I keep thinking about him

I know what I'll be watching next: "Shut Up, Flower Boy" or some such thing...

omg i just thought of something!

Look at these comparisons:
    Spoiler show

Okay so Kimura Takuya is a tad darker because the guy's a surfer dude (sexy!) and he's older- wut, in his 40s now?

And Lee Min Ho is still so fresh and sparkly

but they do look the same. Now I know why I love looking at them both!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    honest, I did not know him a month ago!

Right now even at work I keep thinking about him

I know what I'll be watching next: "Shut Up, Flower Boy" or some such thing...

omg i just thought of something!

Look at these comparisons:
    Spoiler show

Okay so Kimura Takuya is a tad darker because the guy's a surfer dude (sexy!) and he's older- wut, in his 40s now?

And Lee Min Ho is still so fresh and sparkly

but they do look the same. Now I know why I love looking at them both!
    I can´t comment on Lee Min-Ho (though my ex liked him very much) but City Hunter is definitely recommendable. It is a good mix of action, mystery, drama and romance and always keeps you hooked. Faith on the other hand was shitty, dropped it after a few episodes.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I have so much dramas to watch >.> Some pretty good reviews going around for the best of 2012 out there...

My sister also said Faith had no climax whatsoever, but she finished the series anyway

---------- Post added January 05, 2013 at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was January 02, 2013 at 11:12 AM ----------

WAAAAA I'm in a drama high right now.

-_-

In a month I have watched like, a lot of dramas!

From City Hunter, to Faith, to Personal Taste, a bit of Boys Over Flowers just to see how Domyouji was acted out as Go Jun Pyo and make educated conclusions (common denominator: LEE MIN HO)

then Queen Inhyun's Man:

which has got to have had the most kisses in drama ever!
    Spoiler show

I like this drama because it's very refreshing. Considering all the kdrama i've watched where we have to wait until the LAST EPISODE to establish them as a couple, or for a goddang kiss to happen, this drama has a fast pace and tight action. I like the fact that they're old enough to hmm consummate the love, the heroine is very aggressive when it comes to her feelings (hence, the kisses- if you notice she initiates all of them lol), which kind of gives me a modern vibe will watching the show- that we don't need to go around the bushes to tell a love story.

Also, I loved the editing in the sense that I felt like what I was watching was a movie instead of a series.

Anyway, next on my list which I started watching and am up to the 6th episode but have cried in about half the time already, is SHUT UP: FLOWER BOY BAND

Very gripping and heart-wrenching storywriting! I'm not even watching just for the pretty boys- (compared to Lee Min ho, they aren't too pretty). I was surprised that Kdrama was actually capable of such moods as the one in Shut Up. It felt like I was watching a JDrama instead- because the feel was a bit realistic (which JDramas are) and focused more on telling a story that reflected what society really is- not over-the-top, not too fluffy, and not too bright.

Shocking use of dark colors= as compared to the bright color-coordinated romance dramas (Even City Hunter- which had supposedly a dark theme, had the hero sporting pink trousers) which I felt was again, more like JDrama- including the way rooms and scenes are set up, felt pretty real.

I guess this is the year in Kdramas where they're gearing up for the heavier stuff, slowly introducing them to viewers so that we can appreciate other things in dramas and not just the romance. ^^

Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know who this Lee Min Ho was...

...so I started watching Faith.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darjaille View Post
    I didn't know who this Lee Min Ho was...

...so I started watching Faith.

deshou???? he's the hottest guy ever!!!

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

deshou???? he's the hottest guy ever!!!
    Every guy who wears a short ponytail and bangs is hot.

And when he wore the yellow flower behind his ear...

Yep. Hot.

Loving the drama, quite. I've wanted to watch a historical one for quite some time.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I haven't checked new drama after watching Reply 1997, busy with tons other things. So unfortunate.
    Alternative title being Answer me 1997? that's next on my list. how is your review of that, P-chan? it's got a lot of good reviews around.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never been a fan of fantasy drama. I didn't come to look for it when I go to find a drama. No exception with Faith. I found the fantasy points unnecessary. I think if they just keep the time travel thing, I'd be happier. I mean, why did they have to introduce how Choi Young could use this electric current inner power when he barely used it throughout the series? Nuh-uh. I ignored the whole fantasy part except the time travel and managed to finish the series. No need to question Min Ho, I totally loved him in action just like in City Hunter. He is totally born for that. Forget Jun Pyo or his character in Personal Taste (which I'm yet to check actually :P), hoho~ The female lead is okay, supporting characters are okay (thumbs for the actor of Gi Cheol), the soundtrack is good. I understand if someone said it had no climax (I think it does have a climax but maybe not so impressive), but overall I enjoyed it just fine.

Alternative title being Answer me 1997? that's next on my list. how is your review of that, P-chan? it's got a lot of good reviews around.
    Yeah, that's the series. Review? Let's see...

Starting with plot, Reply 1997's genre is common: romance, comedy, friendship. Judging from that, nothing big. But what I love is how that simple plot is presented. It's funny, fresh, can be touching as well. I found myself laughing and crying with the characters. That brings us to characters. The characters are varied, which can be good or can be too strange for some people's taste. The actors and actress may not be super handsome or beautiful, but they did great job portraying their characters. I absolutely loved them. Soundtrack? Based on my RL friends who totally loved the series, Reply 1997 has won award for best soundtrack. Personally it's awesome, IMO.

Reply 1997 is a slice-of-life drama. If you don't like that genre it may be hard to like it. But things are subjective, right? XD Then again, it won't be the currently #1 Rated Drama on MyDramaList website for nothing. :P

As for me now I'm continuing watching Ghost. I felt so stupid for putting it on hold previously while it's so awesome. You totally got the thrill, I was nervous watching the episodes. I have to say So Ji Sub did a great job with the character despite his super flat face. If anyone is looking for a detective/crime series, Ghost can be your choice.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

AAAACK i just finished REPLY 1997!!!

<3 <3 <3 i love the adolescence, the youth, the despair, the hope, the familiarity, etc.

9/10, if only they didn't drag the last two episodes. I couldn't get the kpop references much but it didn't matter because the story was so poignant.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, baboysai-chaaan~

I know, right. Some scenes made me cry, especially the brotherhood of Yoon Jae and his older brother... It's just lovely. Combined with the funny scenes as well. I don't understand the old Korean songs as well but it doesn't really matter since it's just a hobby of the lead female, lol.

Finished with Ghost recently as well. I didn't really like the ending, I wanted justice for the criminal, but overall it's a great detective series. <3

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

started watching SCHOOL 2013, up to two episodes, but I don't think I can watch it- it has a JDrama vibe to it (GTO, Dragonzakura, Gokusen) which i feel isn't too original anymore (Japanese just spearheaded all dramas, more like) and I cringe at bullying scenes...

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Finished with Ghost recently as well. I didn't really like the ending, I wanted justice for the criminal, but overall it's a great detective series. <3
    Ghost started to disappoint me the moment the main character died and got replaced. After that, the tension the drama aimed to create seemed too forced to me.

Just a general recommendation, i think that only a few actually watched this drama but for me, it was the most heartwarming thing i saw produced in Korea, namely the drama Thank You (2007)
    http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Thank_You

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm, i haven't gone beyond Goong in production date hehe. There are so many good shows of 2011 and 2012...

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm, i haven't gone beyond Goong in production date hehe. There are so many good shows of 2011 and 2012...
    Well, it seems that our preferences are different anyway, so i am not surprised that you like many shows of 2011 and 2012. I can give you a few recs from those 2 years that i found extraordinary, it could be a bit biased though since i watched most of the titles with my ex-gf which could make series seem better than they really are:

Padam Padam
    Brain
    Salaryman Chohanji
    Fermentation Family
    City Hunter
    Arang and the Magistrate (very funny)
    A Gentleman´s Dignity (an unusual series for Korean drama)
    Golden Time
    Hero (very good)
    Queen In Hyun´s man
    First 10 episodes of Rooftop Prince
    Vampire Prosecutor 1 + 2
    Secret Garden (cheesy but still very good)
    The Princess Man
    Protect The Boss
    My Princess
    Tree With Deep Roots (absolute priority)

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Ghost started to disappoint me the moment the main character died and got replaced. After that, the tension the drama aimed to create seemed too forced to me.
    I see. I stopped a while right at that point. I couldn't imagine what would become of the plot when it turned that way. But I'm glad I continued it. For me the tension grew one step at a time, and stayed there when the main villain stepped out.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Just a general recommendation, i think that only a few actually watched this drama but for me, it was the most heartwarming thing i saw produced in Korea, namely the drama Thank You (2007)
    http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Thank_You
    Ah, I've heard this before! Positive responses were all I got. Thanks for reminding me, adding it to my to-watch list.

Have you ever watched "Hello, Ghost!" by the way? It's also a great series. Laughed and cried altogether.

New Reply
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast