Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The Asian Drama Thread

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Asian Drama Thread

Been a long time since i watched a drama, any recommendations?

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Mirae's choice (Marry Him if You Dare) although it's still two eps in...

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Been a long time since i watched a drama, any recommendations?
    I was actually having fun with Who Are You? and The Master's Sun, despite having horror, comedy, and romance all mixed together. So if you like such genre, go ahead and give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Mirae's choice (Marry Him if You Dare) although it's still two eps in...
    baboysai-chaannn what do you think of Heirs so far? Up to ep 4?

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried Heirs, not bad but way too many characters in the focus to be honest and still not understanding the LMH hype but it´s definitely worth a watch, especially considering the development in episode 4

Tried Mirae, really funny and interesting with a new take on "assessing your life"

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried Heirs, not bad but way too many characters in the focus to be honest and still not understanding the LMH hype but it´s definitely worth a watch, especially considering the development in episode 4

Tried Mirae, really funny and interesting with a new take on "assessing your life"
    LOL boys never managed to understand that. Just like how I don't understand some hype over Park Shin Hye, to be honest. I don't really have favorite actresses, lol. I truly wish it won't turn out like Boys Over Flowers, it'll be so boring and a waste of talent like Lee Min Ho.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh but Heirs doesn't look to be boring. Since it's seemingly got character depth for most characters. It's interesting how that will turn out, I'm guessing. And I love LMH's role this time- many layers to that. It's actually Park Shin Hye's character that I'm worried about- she's a great actress (considering how she played her role in Flower Boy Next Door), but the poor girl role might be too stereotyped in this drama. I still have hopes for it though.

Definitely loving Mirae's Choice. I love the humor and the positivity.

---------- Post added October 21, 2013 at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was October 20, 2013 at 07:48 PM ----------

will try to watch reply 1994 without any comparing with 1997 (one of my favorite dramas...).

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

So we could discuss movies in here as well, right?

I'm finally able to watch The Day He Arrives - a 2011 Korean movie, first was screened at Sundance. I believe this movie as a whole is a metaphor of life visioned by the director himself. It is not giving you the essence of the story in a simple manner, and somehow the director feels that he needed to tell messages obliquely. I was in some sort of confusion to fully understand the whole meaning of the story, but after watching it for second time, I think I could understand it, even though it might be not the most accurate interpretation of that movie.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    So we could discuss movies in here as well, right?

I'm finally able to watch The Day He Arrives - a 2011 Korean movie, first was screened at Sundance. I believe this movie as a whole is a metaphor of life visioned by the director himself. It is not giving you the essence of the story in a simple manner, and somehow the director feels that he needed to tell messages obliquely. I was in some sort of confusion to fully understand the whole meaning of the story, but after watching it for second time, I think I could understand it, even though it might be not the most accurate interpretation of that movie.
    Oh, the day he arrives, been a while since i watched that one. Spent some time trying to figure it out and like you said, Hong purposely avoided an easy answer which definitely leaves a few interpretations open, which in turn i think was Hong´s aim anyway. At first, i came to the same conclusion as you, namely that the story is basically a metaphor of life and all the coincidences and the randomness that our lives consist of (you know, meeting the waitress who looks exactly like his ex-gf, meeting his former student and actress i think, meeting fans of his and so forth) but in the end, i think it actually might be the visit the protagonist envisions or rather hopes for before the actual visit. I mean, if we get down to it, the visit was somewhat ideal for him, a washed-up director, who teaches at a second rate university, who is not really handsome or particularly charming. The former student seems to have a crush on him, he meets random guys who turn out to be his fan and they invite him to drink, he somewhat reconciles with his ex-gf, then meets another woman who looks the same and hooks up with her, the woman his friend adores of course also likes him and so forth. Something that made me confident in this interpretation is, among other things, the headline the movie was promoted with, namely that “Seongjun may have spent a few days in Seoul with his friend, or it may still be his first day there.”

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, the day he arrives, been a while since i watched that one. Spent some time trying to figure it out and like you said, Hong purposely avoided an easy answer which definitely leaves a few interpretations open, which in turn i think was Hong´s aim anyway. At first, i came to the same conclusion as you, namely that the story is basically a metaphor of life and all the coincidences and the randomness that our lives consist of (you know, meeting the waitress who looks exactly like his ex-gf, meeting his former student and actress i think, meeting fans of his and so forth) but in the end, i think it actually might be the visit the protagonist envisions or rather hopes for before the actual visit. I mean, if we get down to it, the visit was somewhat ideal for him, a washed-up director, who teaches at a second rate university, who is not really handsome or particularly charming. The former student seems to have a crush on him, he meets random guys who turn out to be his fan and they invite him to drink, he somewhat reconciles with his ex-gf, then meets another woman who looks the same and hooks up with her, the woman his friend adores of course also likes him and so forth. Something that made me confident in this interpretation is, among other things, the headline the movie was promoted with, namely that “Seongjun may have spent a few days in Seoul with his friend, or it may still be his first day there.”
    It is entirely plausible. Even the fact whether it is a non-linear movie is also debatable. I meant, if each chit-chats are parallel, the conversation between Seongjun and his former actress would go differently. The fact that Seongjun is aware that he dumped some of her students during previous nights somehow confirms my theory. What it makes look like a non-linear movie, in my opinion, is everything happens at the Novel bar. Each time, the bar owner always need to go out to buy something, and Youngho, always introducing Seongjun to her.

So I feel that actually the day progresses, but the biggest question is I felt that everything happens at the Novel bar is a separated reality because everything is repetitive, and it's always going back to square one. The usual conversation, introduction, and setting.. maybe only dialogues which determine the outcome of a how the next day will roll. I also think that in some sense Seongjun can be described as a man who detaches himself whenever progress is going to be made. In a more "normal" movie, Seongjun would still maintain his relationship with the bar owner because apparently she's the love of his life. But he didn't do it. I don't think he did sleep with her merely because of lust; I think to some extent he loves her, but he's just afraid/refuse of himself whenever he wants to move forward. He's happy living inside the vicinity of his comfort zone.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    It is entirely plausible. Even the fact whether it is a non-linear movie is also debatable. I meant, if each chit-chats are parallel, the conversation between Seongjun and his former actress would go differently. The fact that Seongjun is aware that he dumped some of her students during previous nights somehow confirms my theory. What it makes look like a non-linear movie, in my opinion, is everything happens at the Novel bar. Each time, the bar owner always need to go out to buy something, and Youngho, always introducing Seongjun to her.

So I feel that actually the day progresses, but the biggest question is I felt that everything happens at the Novel bar is a separated reality because everything is repetitive, and it's always going back to square one. The usual conversation, introduction, and setting.. maybe only dialogues which determine the outcome of a how the next day will roll. I also think that in some sense Seongjun can be described as a man who detaches himself whenever progress is going to be made. In a more "normal" movie, Seongjun would still maintain his relationship with the bar owner because apparently she's the love of his life. But he didn't do it. I don't think he did sleep with her merely because of lust; I think to some extent he loves her, but he's just afraid/refuse of himself whenever he wants to move forward. He's happy living inside the vicinity of his comfort zone.
    Hmm, so basically, the happenings outside the bar and in the bar itself are two different entities, at least from waht i understood of your theory.
    Btw, if you are looking for a movie to watch, another interesting one with a romantic undertone is "My Dear Enemy"
    Generally, there are like 5-6 directors whose movies are a must watch for me, Hong Sang-Soo being one of them. Another really interesting one is Kim Ki-Duk, i could really write essays about his movies

@baboysai: Been watching Mirae, really hilarious with likeable characters. I just wished that the second girl, Han Chae-Ah, would get a role as protagonist at one point.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh but Heirs doesn't look to be boring. Since it's seemingly got character depth for most characters. It's interesting how that will turn out, I'm guessing. And I love LMH's role this time- many layers to that. It's actually Park Shin Hye's character that I'm worried about- she's a great actress (considering how she played her role in Flower Boy Next Door), but the poor girl role might be too stereotyped in this drama. I still have hopes for it though.

Definitely loving Mirae's Choice. I love the humor and the positivity.

---------- Post added October 21, 2013 at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was October 20, 2013 at 07:48 PM ----------

will try to watch reply 1994 without any comparing with 1997 (one of my favorite dramas...).
    I'm actually liking Lee Min Ho's role as Kim Tan. He did well for such a young character. And I absolutely love his eyes. The way he expressed love, worry, and anger feels so alive for me. Thumbs up. As for other characters, none made a very big impact on me. I generally dislike all the girls, and besides Tan only Chan Young makes me happy. <3

Reply 1994 is pretty good so far. It keeps the tradition of giving you one super big mystery of the husband of our female lead, with possible candidates, and now the romance is growing. I can't choose between Trash or Chil Bong so far, they're both awesome in their own way, lol. I can relate to Trash as fellow med student, so plus points for him, muahaha.

Currently following an old series titled Vampire Prosecutor, the first and second season. Finished the first a while ago and I just love it beyond words. Yeon Jung Hoon is looking amazingly hot as a vampire and a prosecutor at the same time.

Combined with Tan's charm, I'm literally in heaven of K-drama land everyday. *sigh*

---------- Post added November 03, 2013 at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was November 02, 2013 at 10:53 PM ----------

Oh, God. What did I just saw. Omo, omo.

baboysai-chaaan, (one of) your dearest favorite soldier(s) from King 2 Hearts (a.k.a Kwon Hyun Sang > http://mydramalist.com/actor/2463/kwon-hyun-sang <) appeared on Vampire Prosecutor 2!

Spoiler: SERIOUS warning, open only if you're ready for it! show

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently not compelled to watch Reply 1994 for some reason. hmm. Although I did watch the first ep.

Still avidly following Mirae's Choice and Heirs. My weekdays are almost always taken by these two shows ahahaha

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone wants to watch Vampire Prosecutor too? Needs someone to get crazy over it.

I'm currently not compelled to watch Reply 1994 for some reason. hmm. Although I did watch the first ep.

Still avidly following Mirae's Choice and Heirs. My weekdays are almost always taken by these two shows ahahaha
    Really? The mystery about the husband keeps on growing, and I already have my guess, lol~ The first few episodes were kind of boring for me, but it was introduction so yeah. I remember frowning upon watching the first few episodes of Reply 1997, but I enjoyed it as one package.

As for The Heirs... Surprising episode 8. I still wanna hug the puppy Kim Tan~ <33333333

Anybody watching Secret? I added it to my to-watch list today, the hype was pretty big.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

ahahaha i hadn't gotten around to watching the 2nd ep of 1994.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone watched or is watching Hanzaki Naoki? I tried to watch the first episode, but I couldn't really get into it. (Perhaps if I put subtitles on, it'll be easier to watch.) Does it get better in later episodes?

It's extremely popular in Japan so I just want to know what al the hype is.

New Reply
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast