Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: The Asian Drama Thread

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Asian Drama Thread

So Itazura na Kiss Love in Tokyo Season 2 is not airing this May. I'm feeling so down. No release date has been confirmed as today, and I'm tired of waiting after peeking at other adaptations, lol. Looking at the photos in the official Twitter and Facebook accounts made me even more excited! But truthfully, I just can't imagine Furukawa Yuki playing a lovey dovey Irie Naoki towards his wife, given his attitude in first season.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Spectrum's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm felling down as well haha. I thought it would be aired from May onwards but I saw yesterday that there is no release date confirmed yet

I searched through the whole site of TV Fuji and there isn't any news about the second season. T.T

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well if its a network preference, my preference is usually stuff from tvN. They're usually fresh and daring compared to the giant networks that can't risk too much.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it is not a specific network but rather the distinction between cable networks and broadcast networks. The former usually stand out with more creative and better writing, unusual setting and topics and generally better production, including the acting (does not always apply of course, but still).
    tvN is basically the leading network regarding romantic comedies with titles like Reply, Quenn In Hyun´s Man, She is WOW, Wedding Scheme, Twelve Men in a Year, I Need Romance and so on, not to say they can´t tackle other genres, as proven with two of my favorites, Nine and Joseon X-Files, but the rom-coms, mostly aimed at females from 20-35, are their main product.
    jTBC is more about more realistic and mature storylines, mostly about families or only already married couples (not exclusively of course) who struggle with day-to-day stuff and either have to conquer their problems or drift apart and find new partners. Sounds a bit redundant at first but the network actually featurd a few of my favorite titles.
    Then there is OCN which usually concentrates on edgy and dark crime dramas like Vampire Prosecutor, Special Affairs Team Ten, God´s Quiz and so on.
    All have components that make them stand out compared to broadcast dramas and you can usually bet that a cable drama is simply better (not always the case though).

This may seem redundant to you guys but i still wanna ask, what do you guys think of sharing a top 10 (20) of dramas you watched so far? I think it would be interesting to see and compare the taste.

Oh, btw, there is only one episode of You´re all Surrounded and A New Leaf respectively this week because of the Korean Election, both will run on Thursday.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    I'm felling down as well haha. I thought it would be aired from May onwards but I saw yesterday that there is no release date confirmed yet

I searched through the whole site of TV Fuji and there isn't any news about the second season. T.T
    Browsing soompi's forum last night, it seems that shooting may be concluded in June. Broadcast most probably will take place after that. Still a long way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    For me it is not a specific network but rather the distinction between cable networks and broadcast networks. The former usually stand out with more creative and better writing, unusual setting and topics and generally better production, including the acting (does not always apply of course, but still).
    tvN is basically the leading network regarding romantic comedies with titles like Reply, Quenn In Hyun´s Man, She is WOW, Wedding Scheme, Twelve Men in a Year, I Need Romance and so on, not to say they can´t tackle other genres, as proven with two of my favorites, Nine and Joseon X-Files, but the rom-coms, mostly aimed at females from 20-35, are their main product.
    jTBC is more about more realistic and mature storylines, mostly about families or only already married couples (not exclusively of course) who struggle with day-to-day stuff and either have to conquer their problems or drift apart and find new partners. Sounds a bit redundant at first but the network actually featurd a few of my favorite titles.
    Then there is OCN which usually concentrates on edgy and dark crime dramas like Vampire Prosecutor, Special Affairs Team Ten, God´s Quiz and so on.
    All have components that make them stand out compared to broadcast dramas and you can usually bet that a cable drama is simply better (not always the case though).

This may seem redundant to you guys but i still wanna ask, what do you guys think of sharing a top 10 (20) of dramas you watched so far? I think it would be interesting to see and compare the taste.

Oh, btw, there is only one episode of You´re all Surrounded and A New Leaf respectively this week because of the Korean Election, both will run on Thursday.
    I like what you said about TV channels, and that is my conclusion as well after thinking about it deeper. Not that I actually pay a lot of attention to the channels which broadcast the drama, but there seems to be specific arrangements or "specialization" between those channels.

Top drama, eh. It's going to be pretty tough, but I think I can make it. Although I may not be able to write as much as 20.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Browsing soompi's forum last night, it seems that shooting may be concluded in June. Broadcast most probably will take place after that. Still a long way to go...

I like what you said about TV channels, and that is my conclusion as well after thinking about it deeper. Not that I actually pay a lot of attention to the channels which broadcast the drama, but there seems to be specific arrangements or "specialization" between those channels.

Top drama, eh. It's going to be pretty tough, but I think I can make it. Although I may not be able to write as much as 20.
    Well, i also did not pay attention to that for a long time but at one point, it just became more and more obvious. I mean tvN has the "Flower Boy" series and OCN released dark crime dramas one after another, so..

Well, we can do 10 or extent it to Asian drama in general, not only K-Drama

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I also prefer the cable channels, their dramas are usually more original than the dramas from the big companies... I like the "Flower boy" series, they're funny and easygoing, I enjoy to watch them.

About the top dramas, I think we could do a Top 10 asian dramas, I don't have many series in my list lol

We had only one episode of "A New Leaf" last week as well, I'm sad now hahaha. I'm sooooooooooooo curious, can't wait to watch both New Leaf and YAAS haha.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, right off the bat I would say

1. Nodame
    2. Reply 1997
    3. Reply 1994
    4. Engine
    5. Shut Up! Flower Boy Band

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a slow thinker so I'll build my list slowly, okay?

Let's see...

(1) Nodame Cantabile
    I adore everything about this series. The humor, the stupid and strange characters, the music (oh how much I love it), and the subtle, hidden messages. I watched the special episodes, where they move from Japan to Europe, during my first or second year of transferring from high school to university. I forget, but I think it was first year. That makes the episodes felt so real and close to me, especially the stress Nodame felt at that time. Adorable and motivating. That is also why I am not so optimistic with its Korean adaptation too.

(2) Reply/Answer Me series
    Unlike baboysai-chan I cannot really name which one is the first. Both have sides I like and dislike. Reply 1997 was the first for me. All the jokes, stupid actions, and romance was "new" to me for this series so I really enjoyed it. Good soundtracks too. But I don't really like the romance compared to Reply 1994 because I felt it was too forced, just so that Yoon Jae has a rival. Reply 1994, on the other side, does not really have crazy moments which made me laughed so far, but I could relate to the characters very much. Boarding house and medical student are the keywords. It's just so dear for me. And the romance is one of the triangle love set in which I can't really choose and that I'm happy whoever Na Jung end up with. Though the music is not that wonderful, at least compared to its predecessor.

(3) Liar Game series
    Awesome dirty game. The bland, pure, and honest girl stands out like a sore thumb in this series which makes things frustrating at times but still awesome. I especially like the games, even though some may seem repetitive of the older games.

(4) King 2 Hearts
    Seung Gi-oppa bias aside, I like the basic idea of the plot, and the amazing soundtracks. The characters are quite interesting, least being the antagonist himself, unfortunately. Overall it's a nice package. Bias aside. Please don't ask how big my bias played a role for me to check this series out in the first place, lol.

(5) Ghost
    The Korean detective/police/crime drama. I didn't expect to enjoy the bland-and-plain-and-expresionless So Ji Sub here, but I did. Unfortunately I couldn't say the same for Lee Yeon Hee at this point. I was also disappointed by the ending related to the antagonist, but I enjoyed everything else. The suspense, the game, the crime, and supportive soundtracks.

I think that's all for now, haha. I'll add more if I can.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well I always pushed my sisters to watch king 2 hearts (which they won't, dunno why) because they haven't watched any LSG dramas and I was quite sure that after watching K2H you'd appreciate LSG as an actor.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

My top 5:

1. City Hunter
    2. Nodame
    3. Cunning Single Lady
    4. Bride of the Century
    5. The Heirs

I wanted to put YAAS and Hotel King in the list, but they aren't finished yet so I can't right now... I'll redo my top dramas when they finish airing.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

haha. sorry i just finished alice no toge and all i kept thinking was... what a bunch of crazies. up to the very end they were all lunatics, seriously dysfunctional and it was disappointing to see the end. i had hoped that if they were going for the "everyone is crazy" route then they should have just done a crazy ending as well. it was just too anti climactic to see a serial killer and a rainbow in the same frame... -_-

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello. Back from my quick time travel. And I have few changes to my short list above. I kick Ghost out of top 5, sending Liar Game and King 2 Hearts one rank down, inserting Queen In Hyun's Man to my favorite number 3 despite just finishing it today. One of the best fantasy drama I have ever seen. The plot is designed beautifully, the actors are sooooo adorable, the music is good, the messages are there waiting to be understood and interpret one way or another. I enjoy it a lot. The ending made me went blank for a while, and I'm still debating whether I like it or not, but I feel that it is not going to change how I feel about the series overall.

In love with Ji Hyun Woo quite much now. A good fuel to watch him in Trot Lovers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    My top 5:

1. City Hunter
    2. Nodame
    3. Cunning Single Lady
    4. Bride of the Century
    5. The Heirs

I wanted to put YAAS and Hotel King in the list, but they aren't finished yet so I can't right now... I'll redo my top dramas when they finish airing.
    I agree about YAAS, I generally like drama Seung Gi-oppa played in so we'll see with this one. I'm rather interested to see The Heirs there, mainly because I was disappointed in the plot with Lee Min Ho there. I thought it was a wasted chance.

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    haha. sorry i just finished alice no toge and all i kept thinking was... what a bunch of crazies. up to the very end they were all lunatics, seriously dysfunctional and it was disappointing to see the end. i had hoped that if they were going for the "everyone is crazy" route then they should have just done a crazy ending as well. it was just too anti climactic to see a serial killer and a rainbow in the same frame... -_-
    Yeah, Alice no Toge is finally finished. The ending is surely twisted. I don't know, I think I'm pretty satisfied. One simple mistake, spiraled to destroy so many people, guilt, attempt to atone, revenge, giving up, and ultimately forgiveness. I like the flow. What I don't really like is the layout of the characters, I think. The crazy and psycho rival all of a sudden turns back into an ally? An ally who one second seem to lose control but the next second is all composed once again? Too sudden. Asumi is the only one who feels real in that department for me.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

watched the movie "Jenny and Juno", a 2005 korean film about teenage pregnancy. It was a very lighthearted movie, in fact it kind of even downplayed the pregnancy a little too much, despite it being the main plot. lol. Like, how does that work? it doesn't. I found it entertaining, and the actors were very cute teenagers. I don't know what the aim of the movie was- to tell teenage viewers that it's okay to be pregnant it's really just happy all over and fun? Well perhaps the producers must have thought that inserting moral dilemmas into film (especially about pregnancy) is too cliched?

Overall it was a really cute movie- but just that. visually cute and a bit fluffy, and not satisfying to the end. Because I didn't feel there was even a conflict. >.> Everything seemed to be just too positive.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    watched the movie "Jenny and Juno", a 2005 korean film about teenage pregnancy. It was a very lighthearted movie, in fact it kind of even downplayed the pregnancy a little too much, despite it being the main plot. lol. Like, how does that work? it doesn't. I found it entertaining, and the actors were very cute teenagers. I don't know what the aim of the movie was- to tell teenage viewers that it's okay to be pregnant it's really just happy all over and fun? Well perhaps the producers must have thought that inserting moral dilemmas into film (especially about pregnancy) is too cliched?

Overall it was a really cute movie- but just that. visually cute and a bit fluffy, and not satisfying to the end. Because I didn't feel there was even a conflict. >.> Everything seemed to be just too positive.
    Sounds too positive indeed.

Read at Soompi today that the second season of Itazura na Kiss LiT may air this July. Please let it be real, the interest spark is dying slowly but surely....

New Reply
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast