Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

I didn't feel like doing schoolwork on Friday so I ended up procrastinating by reading Kyoukai no Rinne. Somehow I'm already on Chapter 52 when I'm usually slow with catching up or completing something.

I love all the "Rumic" humour thrown in, and I'm excited to find out what happens in the latest chapter. :3

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

For Halloween, I'm intentionally re-reading some spooky manga which I've read.

1. Uzumaki by Junji Itou. My favorite among Junji's works. It's creepy and daunting, and I'm just in love with Junji's art style. For those who never read Junji before, I advise you to begin with this one.

2. Zashiki Onna by Mochizuki Minetaro. This manga was dubbed as "the scariest manga ever" but to be honest I'm quite disappointed with the ending. Nevertheless, this manga is good and I'd recommend you to read this when you're in need of horror manga.

I'm also finished reading the first volume of Fuan no Tane, a nice shounen horror manga. This manga is so good even though it's not heavy with dialogue, and surprisingly creepy too. Gotta read this until the last volume.

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    1. Uzumaki by Junji Itou. My favorite among Junji's works. It's creepy and daunting, and I'm just in love with Junji's art style. For those who never read Junji before, I advise you to begin with this one.
    Uzumaki actually was the first manga I've read from the mangaka and while it was creepy, daunting (and disgusting) I really disliked the end. You probably shouldn't expect a "normal" end in such a manga but I still was a bit disappointed. Nowadays I believe it was a good end but back then I was still too used to the more normal stuff. When you read one of his works you definitely should expect very scary and weird things, it's definitely something you need to get used to and it's quite possible that not everybody will like it.

Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Uzumaki actually was the first manga I've read from the mangaka and while it was creepy, daunting (and disgusting) I really disliked the end. You probably shouldn't expect a "normal" end in such a manga but I still was a bit disappointed. Nowadays I believe it was a good end but back then I was still too used to the more normal stuff. When you read one of his works you definitely should expect very scary and weird things, it's definitely something you need to get used to and it's quite possible that not everybody will like it.
    When reading it for the first time, I was reading it with "this is going to be really weird" mentality so the ending did not really caught me by surprise. I've to agree with your opinion saying that Uzumaki is not exactly a "straight" manga, but a "straight" horror would be less creepy, I think. When read Uzumaki, you should put away your expectation and just enjoy the ride.

----------------

Anticipating for the serialization next week, I read Hungry Joker one shot. It is a fun read, but I have to say it's not memorable. The only thing that really stand out in that one-shot for me is the male MC, but the setting and premise are so-so in my opinion. Hopefully the serialization would improve the story and plot so it's become more.. substantial? and become a long-lasting series.

Agreed with both ~niichan
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; October 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The current 4 series I read weekly are as follows:

One Piece, Beelzebub, TWGOK, assasination classroom(?)

I read this stuff whenever they finally get a new chapter out:
    Hunter x Hunter, Kamisama Dolls, Tonari no seki kun, Soul Eater & Not, Ao no Exorcist, Railgun(sorta), Kill Me baby

I plan to read these:
    Dr. Slump, Ruroni Kenshin, Black cat,
    Hayate no Gokuto(I AM reading it but I haven't passed chapter 100 yet, I've been using season 2 as a boost but haven't found time to finish it), Strongest Disiple Kenichi, Trigun maximum, Jo Jo
    ,Bakuman(after season 3 ends I'll probably begin collecting the manga...maybe...), that new series from Himoru Arikawa whose name escapes me... I want to wait and see when it will get localized though...

I'm in and out with these:
    Eden no ori, Bleach(I was going to read it stubbornly to the end but I kinda got bored...), Zettai Karen Children, Detective Conan

I'm buying as the volumes come out:
    Animal Land, Itsuwaribito, (again) Railgun
    Last edited by thatguy3331; November 02, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to get back to my common ectasy with any Fukumoto work, Buraiden Gai

Also, Deathpie and Henshin Ninja Arashi (i began to read just by my nick xd), reading at the moment and maybe if i like it, Kimiiro Focus.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Onepunch-man is my favorite new manga at the moment. It's really funny and has great action too. It's by the same artist as Eyeshield 21.

I also just started Koukou Kyuuji Zawa-san. It's got short and very addicting slice-of-life chapters and a nice art style too.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Onepunch-man is my favorite new manga at the moment. It's really funny and has great action too. It's by the same artist as Eyeshield 21.
    I read the first chapter once. Didn't know it was an on-going series.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucky me, Dorohedoro v12 comes out in France at the same time v17 is scanlated...

About Onepunch, does someone know what is the Tonari young jump magazine it is published in ?

Edit: ok found it, it's a free web version of young jump.
    Last edited by k-dom; November 09, 2012 at 03:31 AM.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Lucky me, Dorohedoro v12 comes out in France at the same time v17 is scanlated...

About Onepunch, does someone know what is the Tonari young jump magazine it is published in ?

Editk found it, it's a free web version of young jump.
    Tonari no Young Jump is a free, online spinoff of Young Jump.

Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Onepunch-man is my favorite new manga at the moment. It's really funny and has great action too. It's by the same artist as Eyeshield 21..
    I like it too, like I said in the previous page the humors are raw but they are so hilarious

-----------------------------------------------------

Recently I read Emma a manga by Mori Kaoru, It has a nice art and amazing plot, as expected from Mori Kaoru. Overall, this manga is impressive, and I like the ending too.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Emma was recently started to be republished by ki-oon in big format. Since you recommend it I will probably give it a try

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    I like it too, like I said in the previous page the humors are raw but they are so hilarious

-----------------------------------------------------

Recently I read Emma a manga by Mori Kaoru, It has a nice art and amazing plot, as expected from Mori Kaoru. Overall, this manga is impressive, and I like the ending too.
    Emma is one of my all time favorite mangas. I've reread it like 4 times. Great balance of drama, romance and slice-of-life moments.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

So I join the mood and started Onepunch man and it is indeed extremely funny. Thanks for bringing it in Doraku.

Still on the comedy side, I also tried Mangaka Chou Zankoku Monogatari. When you see that the scanlator is mangascreener, you know that you won't read your average manga. And if some may be rebuked by the sketchy art style, they would miss a very funny caricature of mangaka (miles away from Bakuman).

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Also in love with Onepunch-man.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Still on the comedy side, I also tried Mangaka Chou Zankoku Monogatari. When you see that the scanlator is mangascreener, you know that you won't read your average manga. And if some may be rebuked by the sketchy art style, they would miss a very funny caricature of mangaka (miles away from Bakuman).
    YES! Thank you! A year ago I read some chapters, forgot about it and never found it again.
    And I agree, the manga is great.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast