Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

Well i let people who have not seen the anime watch it. Personally I liked the manga art a lot but some may find it to simple.
    But I agree that a good music is necessary for such adaptation. I would never recommend Beck anime for that reason.
    Last edited by k-dom; February 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Well, i can not force you of course but i can give my rec. I think Nodame is one of the few anime that accomplished to be better than its source material, in this case the manga, for mainly 3 reasons. First of all, the art in the anime is so much better. I know that the art is not the priority for most people when reading Shoujo/Josei but in this case, the difference is huge. Second, the jokes and gags are delivered so much better in my opinion. The manga made me smirk sometimes, the anime made me break out in laughter. Third and the most important, the music is played by professionals who give one of the best interpretations i heard of the pieces in the manga/anime. I am a huge classical music fan, if the music were not good, i would have immediately dropped it. Here is a good example.
    I suppose you first read the manga,... did you?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    I suppose you first read the manga,... did you?
    Not completely since the anime was released before the manga finished but i read all the scenes at least one time before they were animated? Why are you asking?

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Not completely since the anime was released before the manga finished but i read all the scenes at least one time before they were animated? Why are you asking?
    My experience is that when I first read the written text, later I usually find the film not so good as the writen story. So, if you first read and later you watched the anime, I will think that that anime should be really good. I wouldn't be so sure if you first watched the anime.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In the end it all depends on the state of the manga and the frequncy of chapter releases, if it's finished, the pacing can do wonders, e.g. Bleach's last arc was the best animated one; if it's not a long running series makes the anime suffer more often than not. Fairy Tail's first two years were great, the rest was riddled with fillers, which to me are better than looking at stills every couple of seconds, showing every single character's face when something shocking happens. If a show is done in one/two cour segments with a good year or half in between, the animated version[director] can choose which parts to show, where to put emphasis on. A good cast of seiyu can do wonders too.

Personally in most cases I won't touch the original version, if I finished the anime first, just read from that point on where it ended, if it's a seasonal show. Long running series with pacing problems should always be read [too] though.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I started reading Boys on the Run. I really like 'I Am a Hero' by the same mangaka, and I've heard lots of good things about it, so I decided to try it out. It's got really interesting characters and interactions. The art isn't quite as good as 'I Am a Hero', but it is plenty acceptable.

EDIT: I bought the first volume of Knights of Sidonia recently released by Vertical Inc. I loved 'Biomega', so I was pretty excited for this, but the first volume was kind of lackluster and the art inferior IMO. Here's hoping things pick up in the next volume.

EDIT2: I started reading Magi-The Labyrinth of Magic. I've heard tons of good things about it, and though it hasn't lived up to the hype so far, it is starting to pick up a bit.
    Last edited by MattC302; February 15, 2013 at 08:41 PM.

MangaHelper 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Vinland Saga
    2. World Embryo
    3. Berserk
    4. Vagabond (well no scanlations anymore so haven't in a while)

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I started reading Ran to Haiiro no Sekai and it's really great. I love the art and characters and it's just all around my type of manga.

EDIT: I also started reading Gisele Alain. It's got nice artwork that reminds me a bit of Mori Koaru's art and a decent slice-of-life type story that is pretty enjoyable.

EDIT2: Just read this one shot called Koe no Kitachi. From what I understand, it was very controversial and almost went unpublished because of the subject matter. It is about bullying and the cruelty showcased is very real and kind of disturbing. But it is a powerful message. I bet some kids read this and decided to be a little nicer to their classmates afterward. It really drives home the message of "whoa, so this is how this person felt when I was picking on them".
    Last edited by MattC302; February 26, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello guys, I'm a new member
    any good manga to read !!
    psychological ???
    -------------------------------> SHINRA TENSEI <----------------------------

Keep Calm and SHIRE SENBONZAKURA KAGEYOSHI

KEEP CALM AND SHINRA TENSEI!

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried out the first chapter of 'Sakamoto desu ga?' after seeing some people talk about it on Twitter. It's hard to judge by just one chapter, but it seems to have a similar brand of comedy to fellow Fellows!/Harta manga, 'Hinamatsuri', which I dropped, not because it wasn't good, but because of the clunky translation.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading:

20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa

Plan to Read Next:

Monster by Naoki Urasawa
    Neon Genesis Evangelion by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto
    Hi no Tori (Phoenix) by Osamu Tezuka

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Estranho's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by X3D2YFaust View Post
    Hi no Tori (Phoenix) by Osamu Tezuka
    Is this manga available in your country or did you find it online? I'm trying to find the volumes for years now, unsuccessfully!
    I tried to buy the Viz version too but a lot of volumes came out of print, and sadly it was never released in my country.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the first volume of Terra Formars, and I found it really entertaining.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

A question for those of you that are well-versed in Fate/Stay Night and the Nasuverse: I've been meaning to read Fate/Stay Night for a while now. At first I thought about watching the anime but everyone tells me to stay the hell away from it, however I don't really fancy playing the VN as I take ages reading stuff on the computer (it took me a long, long time to finish Tsukihime). Which of the many manga adaptations is the one I should read if I want to really get the Fate/Stay Night experience?

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read 'Love My Life'. My first yuri manga. It was good. Short and sweet. A good story about a lesbian relationship.

New Reply
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast