Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Apple vs Samsung

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Apple vs Samsung

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    It seems this is Samsung's way of getting back at Apple. I don't know whether they have valid grounds to sue Apple or not but I know that they want to make Apple suffer. All these patent wars cost both parties lots of money in the long run, I hope companies will become more reasonable in the future and focus on what they actually do best. It's good to know iPhone 5 will be priced at $399, Apple has very good products but their high prices deter people from buying them.
    Actually, I've known many people who were unable to afford an iPhone still buy the latest iPhone. It's just something that most fanboys tend to do - buy new Apple product when it comes out, and then whine about how the government screws them over and how they don't have money.

Apple is overpriced, and it's obviously making sure it can garner profits in different ways. I read that iPhones originally allowed batteries to be replaced, but after customers were doing it themselves or going to cheaper places, Apple made it so that customers had to go to Apple to change the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Yeah... at least the issue I had with apple about it being grossly overpriced is gone to a reasonable degree. I am still adamant against the idea of buying their stuff as it is at large a commitment more long term than marriage (and once you buy a single apple product you have to buy everything else apples makes). Gotta hate them for the new plugs though.

Well, I would think samsung at least thinks they have a reasonable claim. Overall "making them suffer" is a terrible business model(still better than umbrella's "make them into zombies" business model). At least this patents seems to be about actual technology and not geometrical shapes and abstract concepts. What I am mostly curious about is how not suing everyone else would work in the trial though. We have samsung obviously retaliating against apple and not suing other people who use LTE technology. Would that have an effect on the trial?
    It's already obvious that Samsung is suing Apple out of revenge, though, so I don't think Samsung targeting only Apple makes much of a difference. Plus, we don't know if they've allowed others to use LTE, except for Apple. If Apple still won the trial against Samsung, I can see Samsung winning.

Though, I still love how Samsung paid Apple in coins. Fine trolling that was deserved.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

With the new iPhone 5, I can say RIP iPhone (maybe Apple to some extent)... I thought the moment Steve Jobs died, well the " innovation " and " creativity " were gonna decrease... But with the iPhone, it's absolutely clear

This is the best occasion for Nokia/Samsung to wipe out the iPhone honestly

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    It's already obvious that Samsung is suing Apple out of revenge, though, so I don't think Samsung targeting only Apple makes much of a difference. Plus, we don't know if they've allowed others to use LTE, except for Apple. If Apple still won the trial against Samsung, I can see Samsung winning.

Though, I still love how Samsung paid Apple in coins. Fine trolling that was deserved.
    Well, they are certainly going out of their way to mess with them, all I thought was that if they were they at least thought they had something to win from this. Being evil is overall a bad corporate strategy and business model. Even if it is fantastic trolling and a perfect way to scare stakeholders and apple in general, they need to at least reasonably believe there is an actual tangible benefit to all of this. Otherwise they are just wasting millions...

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    With the new iPhone 5, I can say RIP iPhone (maybe Apple to some extent)... I thought the moment Steve Jobs died, well the " innovation " and " creativity " were gonna decrease... But with the iPhone, it's absolutely clear

Well, technically speaking this is the best and yet least innovative iphone however I wouldn't put apple out of the game just yet. Jobs was just one person, if the corporation literally can't go on innovating without him then it means apple was never in a good place to begin with. Apple should still have their experience, corporatist culture and the means to find actual talent to work for them. I guess it is plausible that they simply won't be able to function or innovate post-jobs but I would find the idea a tad weird.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Well, technically speaking this is the best and yet least innovative iphone however I wouldn't put apple out of the game just yet. Jobs was just one person, if the corporation literally can't go on innovating without him then it means apple was never in a good place to begin with. Apple should still have their experience, corporatist culture and the means to find actual talent to work for them. I guess it is plausible that they simply won't be able to function or innovate post-jobs but I would find the idea a tad weird.
    I know, technically speaking it is the best, it feels more like an evolution rather than a revolution
    I know it is too early to judge Apple post Steve Jobs either, but I do know one thing : the guy was the core of Apple, wether we like or not

If we look at the history of Apple, you can realize how the guy is actually " Apple ", the moment he left, Apple became shit, the moment he came back, it was a revolution iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad...

Nokia lately are being quite agressive with their Nokia Lumia, which feels fresh compared to other smartphones, colorful, good looking designs, interesting apps too, and quite tough, even Samsung paid attention to that, the fact that they will create new mobile phones working on Windows Phone 8 is the proof that they're taking them quite seriously

I wasn't expecting much from the iPhone tho, I was at least hoping for a change of design, something " fresh and new ", but no, it's the same old boring design... As for Samsung, never been a fan honestly, have a bad experience with them

But I think, if Samsung/Nokia plays their card well, they're gonna make Apple regret a lot this not so new iPhone 5

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

There isn't much they can do with the iphone design itself. They always go for "less is more" in terms of design.... All they could do is take out stuff but in terms of design there is little they can do about that. I have never actually owned a samsung phone but I have wanted one for a while, every time I try one it is just awesome.

Seeing the lumia specs I have to say it is actually awesome, I really want to check that screen out. The issue here is that for a phone to develop you need a nice ecosystem which I don't think microsoft has just yet. I mean, they can have the means for it to develop nicely but whether a significant amount of people will actually change to it remains to be seen. Its a huge gamble on their part as of now. Nokia effectively has to make apple's zealot/hipsters or android loyal customers change to microsoft which is a pretty big deal so far. Someone who owns an ipad, iphone and mcbook is very unlikely to make a change, its like throwing away money in many regards. It will ultimately be tied to how well received windows 8 is and just how many people see an advantage when matched with surface tablets and pcs with W8. Android has a number of established products and brands, W8 not so much in the tablet and phone market. As awesome as the lumia seems I wouldn't get one until it is safely established in the market which unfortunately is what most people will say.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's possible to wipe out iPhone, not anytime soon. Considering the following iPhone has, and most of them loyal, it'll take a long time before iPhone really gets damaged. There are plenty of Apple fans that'll stick to iPhone regardless of what happens. The main thing is, people are willin to shell out money for iPhone as long as it looks good and works as they want it to.

I don't think there's a clear-cut superior competitor for iPhone to really lose popularity, like how a Mac was a superior competitor to Windows.

Well, they are certainly going out of their way to mess with them, all I thought was that if they were they at least thought they had something to win from this. Being evil is overall a bad corporate strategy and business model. Even if it is fantastic trolling and a perfect way to scare stakeholders and apple in general, they need to at least reasonably believe there is an actual tangible benefit to all of this. Otherwise they are just wasting millions...
    They're not necessarily being evil, it's still business. Both Apple and Samsung are each other's strongest competitors or close to it. What Apple did was both try to make Samsung lose money while Apple itself gained money. I suspect Samsung is doin the same, trying to get money from Apple as well. While they're getting revenge, they're also tryin to hurt their competition while helpin themselves.

It's personal and it's business. Dunno about Apple, but it was definitely business, if not personal as well.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I don't think it's possible to wipe out iPhone, not anytime soon. Considering the following iPhone has, and most of them loyal, it'll take a long time before iPhone really gets damaged. There are plenty of Apple fans that'll stick to iPhone regardless of what happens. The main thing is, people are willin to shell out money for iPhone as long as it looks good and works as they want it to.

I don't think there's a clear-cut superior competitor for iPhone to really lose popularity, like how a Mac was a superior competitor to Windows.
    I can already tell you how much of iPhone fans in my entourage won't buy the new iPhone and would stick with the 4S, or either get the Lumia 920
    Because there's nothing interested that would push them to put their cash into the new iPhone

One of the main things that Apple, when Steve Jobs was still around, managed to do, was this whole " omg omg i must buy the new iphone " or whatever product they put here. I have a couple of die hard fans of iPhones, and they're utterly disappointed and won't buy the new one

I'm not saying that this is the end of iPhone, but it may be very well the beginning if the other companies would seize this occasion. Nokia seems to have understood the game too (there Symbian smartphones were epic failures compared to iPhone and Samsung, but with the Lumia, it seems they have gotten better), Samsung with its Galaxy S3, is still better than Apple with its new iPhone for now

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, getting money is basically getting something out of it, that was what I suggested they could get out of this. My issue with them is going at this with only personal issues and not reasonable expectation of getting something.

As for iphone being the best phone out there, I would question that a bit.

http://www.aaj.tv/2012/09/iphone-5-c...r-smartphones/
    Samsung galaxy S3 seems to have the superior specks so far, at least the US version. Most of its competitors have better resolution, the fact that samsung has a slot for an SD card objectively rapes the iphone 5 and battery life still does not match of that its bigger competitors. Camera wise it seems like the lumia has a slight advantage. All that is left to see is just how well windows 8 works in laptops and phones to see just how big a competitor nokia can be this year.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it all depends, the whole war of smartphones is about innovation/good marketing strategies, just like when the first iPhone came out and was truly a revolution
    Samsung now is at the top with its Galaxy S3, and other competitors now if playing their cards right have a unique occassion they should not miss

In terms of cameras/photos, Nokia always outclassed other companies, I mean with its Nokia 808 PureView with an impressive 41MP and with Carl Zeiss Lens too
    Last edited by Zehahaha; September 15, 2012 at 09:30 AM.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I can already tell you how much of iPhone fans in my entourage won't buy the new iPhone and would stick with the 4S, or either get the Lumia 920
    Because there's nothing interested that would push them to put their cash into the new iPhone

One of the main things that Apple, when Steve Jobs was still around, managed to do, was this whole " omg omg i must buy the new iphone " or whatever product they put here. I have a couple of die hard fans of iPhones, and they're utterly disappointed and won't buy the new one

I'm not saying that this is the end of iPhone, but it may be very well the beginning if the other companies would seize this occasion. Nokia seems to have understood the game too (there Symbian smartphones were epic failures compared to iPhone and Samsung, but with the Lumia, it seems they have gotten better), Samsung with its Galaxy S3, is still better than Apple with its new iPhone for now
    So many 4S users were actually disappointed with 4S too. I was actually shocked to see a lot of friends get annoyed with the phone.

I thought Steve Jobs also introduced more innovative stuff to the phone than the company did after he passed away. Didn't the phone constantly evolve? Now there's nothing about 5 that separates it from 4S, or anyhting about 4S that makes it worth getting over 4.

Oh, I agree. Other companies can capitalize on this if they know how to, like Samsung and Nokia did. Sadly, it'll be harder since Apple are willing to sue easily.

Well, getting money is basically getting something out of it, that was what I suggested they could get out of this. My issue with them is going at this with only personal issues and not reasonable expectation of getting something.

As for iphone being the best phone out there, I would question that a bit.
    YOu can't really blame Samsung though, considering Apple targeted them just to make them suffer losses. Samsung did not appreciate being targeted by Samsung, I guess, hence why they did this. Plus, since other companies use LTE as well, they probably scared the other companies into not suing and/or finding their own version of LTE. I dunno, there has to be more than just personal issues as reason why Samsung sued Apple.

Quote Quote:
    http://www.aaj.tv/2012/09/iphone-5-c...r-smartphones/
    Samsung galaxy S3 seems to have the superior specks so far, at least the US version. Most of its competitors have better resolution, the fact that samsung has a slot for an SD card objectively rapes the iphone 5 and battery life still does not match of that its bigger competitors. Camera wise it seems like the lumia has a slight advantage. All that is left to see is just how well windows 8 works in laptops and phones to see just how big a competitor nokia can be this year.
    Thank you for the link. I'm getting SGS3 with no regrets.

I don't think iPhone is the best, from 4 to 5. When the first iPhone released, it was arguably the best smartphone but ever since then, other companies have come up with good smartphones.

If Microsoft greatly improves Windows 8, then Nokia could be pretty successful. So far, the PC version of Windows 8 was said to be bad and buggy.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't really read anything conclusive on windows 8. It hasn't been released to customers yet.... From what I gather it does seem to work fine and developers have said good stuff about it (although earlier this year a number of people said pretty bad things too). Still, there is a decent number of things to consider. Integrating multiple devices with windows 8, tablet/laptop hybrids (better than the ones that are already out), new interface, apps.... there are a lot of things to look forward too. Even if microsoft does not do well in this department (I think it is unlikely though) there are other companies who could potentially make better use for it.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Well seems Apple enjoy going to court these days, I guess Apple strategy is gonna revolve around courts now

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2