Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sinbad - What's his true goal?

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Sinbad - What's his true goal?

Most of you probably see him as a good guy but I feel like it's heavily hinted that he's more of a grey character. It feels like he will use anyone/anything to achieve his goals and that includes things that you can't call righteous.

For now it looks like he's fighting against Al Sarmen but I can't help but feel like there is something else and that he might turn out to be a villain in the end. So what could be his final/real goal? Some kind of world domination maybe? Not as a dictator but a fair king, which still means he would rule the whole country. To me it sounds like he's quite fond of his ideals and wants to deliver them to everyone, even if force and betrayal is needed.

So what do you think about Sinbad?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner SubliminalInsanity's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sinbad - What's his true goal?

Well as you said he's a character in the grey area who might just be on the verge of tipping into the dark side if he is not too careful with his course of actions.

A few things that hint at the his perilous position are the little tidbits that have been hinted thus far by Shinobu:

-His being a half-fallen; the way his friends, who have been with him the longest, reacted should be evident enough that he went through a traumatic type of experience that made him that way.

-The little bits of personal thoughts that Ja'far has both when he is thinking to himself and when he's talking to Sinbad; he mentioned not being able to get use to his methods, and yet tells Sinbad that whatever the path he chose they would follow him regardless.

-His relationship to Judal; he could have at one point considered being his Magi, but then did something that screwed him over. Sinbad did bring up something about Judal doing something that was unforgivable, which could tie in to his being a half-fallen.

-Aladdin's opinion of him when he talked to Alibaba; that he would get lost in his light and lose sight of his own path. Sinbad is a righteous man...but to the point he has created distinctions of what is "right" and "wrong" without considering the possibilities of the fine lines in between.

This sort of ties back to Ja'far who Sinbad had mused to about the fact that he became the person he didn't want to end up becoming. This also implies of someone in his past life who he had major conflicts with, but share a similar drive that shapes them. Could be a ruler of some kind before he became king of Sindria.

It's a very likely possibility he may lose his balance in the long run, but I don't think he'll be a permanent enemy to the main characters. (It could be he's another victim in need of rescuing before he ends up like Cassim and Princess Dunya.)

He will however add to the challenge of dealing with all these conflicting situations that are already transpiring, which is probably why Aladdin has made his appearance as the 4th Magi.
    Last edited by SubliminalInsanity; September 04, 2012 at 06:46 PM.

Best Buds

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we don't know much about Sin's history with Al-sarmen so its hard to tell what kind of things happened with him.
    One thing i'm sure off, is that he is really manipulative and will do anything to reach his ends, no matter the consequences.
    And we all know what this kind of person is capable of doing...

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminalInsanity View Post
    It's a very likely possibility he may lose his balance in the long run, but I don't think he'll be a permanent enemy to the main characters. (It could be he's another victim in need of rescuing before he ends up like Cassim and Princess Dunya.)

He will however add to the challenge of dealing with all these conflicting situations that are already transpiring, which is probably why Aladdin has made his appearance as the 4th Magi.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said but I'm a bit sceptic about this. I just can't see Sinbad becoming some kind of victim like Dunya or Cassim, that's just too different to how he was portrayed. I don't think he will fall to Al Sarmen's side too, I see him more as a third factor who has his own goals. It's hard to say if he will be a permanent enemy but I feel like he will do something (in the future) that makes Aladdin etc his enemies.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner SubliminalInsanity's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    It's hard to say if he will be a permanent enemy but I feel like he will do something (in the future) that makes Aladdin etc his enemies.
    Yeah I could definitely feel an underlying tension from these two; especially when he asked Aladdin to go to the Laem Empire as the Magi representing Sindria. As well as another factor...but I can not quite say at the moment.

There is also Alibaba to consider as well. He is still the prince of Balbad, and Aladdin believes he will become a great king in the future too; which means he can't be under Sinbad rule forever like he's one of his Eight Generals; he's got to break out of that mindset and remember that he is a King's Candidate of equal abilities too.

Best Buds

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I could definitely feel an underlying tension from these two; especially when he asked Aladdin to go to the Laem Empire as the Magi representing Sindria. As well as another factor...but I can not quite say at the moment.

There is also Alibaba to consider as well. He is still the prince of Balbad, and Aladdin believes he will become a great king in the future too; which means he can't be under Sinbad rule forever like he's one of his Eight Generals; he's got to break out of that mindset and remember that he is a King's Candidate of equal abilities too.
    I guess when he gets his djinn equip he will change his mindset a bit, because right now Sinbad's power is too overwhelming to compare himself with.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well as you said he's a character in the grey area who might just be on the verge of tipping into the dark side if he is not too careful with his course of actions.

A few things that hint at the his perilous position are the little tidbits that have been hinted thus far by Shinobu:

-His being a half-fallen; the way his friends, who have been with him the longest, reacted should be evident enough that he went through a traumatic type of experience that made him that way.

-The little bits of personal thoughts that Ja'far has both when he is thinking to himself and when he's talking to Sinbad; he mentioned not being able to get use to his methods, and yet tells Sinbad that whatever the path he chose they would follow him regardless.

-His relationship to Judal; he could have at one point considered being his Magi, but then did something that screwed him over. Sinbad did bring up something about Judal doing something that was unforgivable, which could tie in to his being a half-fallen.

-Aladdin's opinion of him when he talked to Alibaba; that he would get lost in his light and lose sight of his own path. Sinbad is a righteous man...but to the point he has created distinctions of what is "right" and "wrong" without considering the possibilities of the fine lines in between.

This sort of ties back to Ja'far who Sinbad had mused to about the fact that he became the person he didn't want to end up becoming. This also implies of someone in his past life who he had major conflicts with, but share a similar drive that shapes them. Could be a ruler of some kind before he became king of Sindria.

I think that Sinbad will serve as someone who can deliver some harsh truths to Alibaba so that he would grow. He certainly serves as a nice foil to Alibaba, I think that once Alibaba can stand on his feet against him, he'd be able to become an even greater king than Sinbad. Armed with the harsh wisdom of the world, while still holding on to his idealistic views, he'd become an even better king than Sinbad one day.

Basically, Sinbad will become as much as his mentor as Sharakhan is to Alibaba.

Also, another thing, I think Sinbad sees Alibaba as some sort of morality chain and believes him to be the only thing that can keep him sane aside from his friends. This will certainly be a great development in the future. Lastly, he probably sees himself the most similar to Hakuryuu. Basically, the triangular relationship between them will probably play a large part in the future.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Vengeance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Sinbads motives are the same as Al Sarmen, world domination. Sinbad can't very well rule the world if Al Sarmen still exist since they want to do the same. I suspect Sinbad may end up marrying Empress Gyokuen or Kougyoku in an attempt to merge with the Kou Empire. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's revealed to be one of the main antagonist of the series.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Conquer the world, and have all the pretty girls and Elizabeth/Margaret under his harem

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I would describe Sinbad as a man of great kindness but also crudeness.
    We already know that something in the past made him an half-fallen and I think that it happened way back in the Partevia empire.
    In any case I guess that his primary objective is getting rid of the Organization, but his true goal I admit that it is still a mistery.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member sakura_uchiha's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised as well if Sinbad will become an antagonist, but being called as a "Miracle" he could either end the world or there's a chance Alibaba could pull him away from the darkness.
    Alladin mentions Sinbad's existence/influence is too overwhelming, maybe he aims to be Solomon's replacement.
    Conquering 7 dungeons might mean that Sinbad knows too much of the world's history.
    Well this is just a theory,can't wait for the next chapter ;D
    Being chapter deprive for a week makes me crazy...
    Last edited by sakura_uchiha; March 08, 2013 at 07:42 PM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Sinbad has finally allied with the Reim empire, the oldest and currently(?) one of the strongest empire in existence. He has 7 djinns, eight generals + households, alliance with other countries and djinn users, he has the former prince of a country, and the fourth Magi. He has achieve far more power than the Kou Empire now.

If Kouen wants more knowledge, Sin wants more power. Kouen dreams of having a unified nation, while Sinbad dreams of a better future. I can see the contrast between their idealism, but I can't see which is more ideal... Maybe the last thing he would do is to have an alliance with the Kou empire?
    Last edited by AlphaIkaros; September 23, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I've been thinking about this. Maybe Sinbad wants the same thing as Kouen, but he doesn't say it. Having one nation, one king, could put a stop to all the wars the world is facing. It's been established that Sinbad cares about Sindria more than anything else.But then he says that he wants to restore Magnostadt to its former glory, which could mean that he had eyes on that country, like the guys from Kou and Mu pointed out. That's why he formed an alliance with Reim to fight the Kou empire of course, but also to give more weight to Sindria and maybe conquer new places.
    It's not like he's a bad king or anything, but the problem with Sinbad is that he doesn't say what he wants to do. He's always plotting, and he gathered too much power. Even if it's for the sake of Sindria, I don't think that it's right to manipulate others and be so sly.
    And sometimes I think Sinbad just wants to get drunk and bang all the women of the world . I don't think he ever wanted to be king...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Sinbad is definitely a good guy but he is also a smart politician and understands he needs to do underhanded things to secure stability. I think that his ultimate goal is to either establish a world alliance or a world government (unified state) like the Kou empire but diplomatically rather than militarily. So the nice way basically.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member headless nick's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

this particular page shows the exact character of sinbad and what we are talking about ...

http://mangafox.me/manga/magi_labyri...2/c112/14.html

he gets that he has changed. basically achieving too many things has changed him and he can't get away from it now because i think conquering things have become an addiction for him. absolute power corrupts absolutely . when he is restricted from winning anymore dungeons he turns his gaze to the world ...so i believe he wont stop until he becomes the ultimate ruler... as for now, sindria is just an excuse for him to extend his so called " power" to defend it... let me give an example.

this whole magnoshtdt warfare may very well was planned by sinbad from the beginning ...
    as hakuei said in chapter 198, sin calculated the event of magno much earlier... he began his plotting even before aladin's arrival in magno

http://mangafox.me/manga/magi_labyri...D/c153/14.html

firstly, he knew aladin, if he goes there will find out the problems and abnormalities regarding magno . so he influenced sher with letters to do the same (ch 153) ... and as sin knew sher was more than 200 years older and if he can somehow take sher to his side , when sherry is gone he can have huge influence over reim too...and look at the situation now...kou,reim,magno did most of the war and magno goes to sin now...more over a confederation is also established ... the most important fact about sin estimating the event , seemed to me his arrival with the allience ...magno war lasted maybe 2-3 days maximum but sin arrived with the allience at specifically when every one was exhausted
    initially i thought he and his generals will arrive for rescue but bringing the alliance is whole another thing ... you cant just gather each leader in 2 days... you need months to prepare...sin could never pull it off unless he calculated correctly when to enter and what to bargain with ...at the end of the magno is under sin , i believe at this point controlling magno is more valuable than balbadd or any other province (which is under kou) from strategic, political power point of view...

sin certainly succeeded in his plan or thats what it seems now...the foreshadowing of sin while moga's speech is definitely gonna come true if sin keeps this attitude.
    Last edited by headless nick; September 25, 2013 at 02:09 PM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast