Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Magi Popularity Thread

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member AlexGK's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Magi Popularity Thread

Can someone tell me why are the scanlations so late when we have RAWs and translation for days? Not popular enough?

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magi 218 Spoiler Thread

Its pretty normal that we get the chapters of popular manga days before they appear for sale. The big 3 (Naruto, OP and Bleach) come 5+ days earlier for example. Its not even uncommon to be weeks before (during holydays like the Golden Week or Christmas/New Years). It has to be that Magi isnt popular enough yet, me thinks.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGK View Post
    Its pretty normal that we get the chapters of popular manga days before they appear for sale. The big 3 (Naruto, OP and Bleach) come 5+ days earlier for example. Its not even uncommon to be weeks before (during holydays like the Golden Week or Christmas/New Years). It has to be that Magi isnt popular enough yet, me thinks.
    I don't think that Magi is on the same level as the big three in terms of popularity. Sometimes I wish it was , but seeing how Bleach turned out I'd rather it stayed that way. Anyway Magi is not as popular as those mangas, so it's normal I guess for the scans to come late, since there isn't many people that are interested in reading it(not as much as OP for example).And as 0Yun0 pointed out there are less people who work on the scanlation.They even have a page that says they need cleaners, typesetters etc.
    I'm perfectly fine with the chinese raws and Aegon's translation.But sometimes I wish the translation came first, because watching the raws without knowing what's going on is so frustrating.
    Last edited by ladylola; March 16, 2014 at 08:43 AM.

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladylola View Post
    I don't think that Magi is on the same level as the big three in terms of popularity. Sometimes I wish it was , but seeing how Bleach turned out I'd rather it stayed that way. Anyway Magi is not as popular as those mangas, so it's normal I guess for the scans to come late, since there isn't many people that are interested in reading it(not as much as OP for example).And as 0Yun0 pointed out there are less people who work on the scanlation.They even have a page that says they need cleaners, typesetters etc.
    I'm perfectly fine with the chinese raws and Aegon's translation.But sometimes I wish the translation came first, because watching the raws without knowing what's going on is so frustrating.

Well, popularity doesnt always lead to the end product getting crappy due to milking
    Id say FMA is a good example for that, and from what I have seen so far Ohtaka has a pretty definite plan for the story. Im writing this because im pretty sure Magi is already way ahead of Bleach in popularity and rivals Naruto (in Japan that is).
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...by-series/2013

Now I know those figures cant directly show the current fanbase (due to old volumes sales, etc.), but I think what I said isnt far from the truth. In Japan, Magi is big. But looks like it hasnt caught up with that popularity outside of Japan yet. Im pretty sure it will within the next year and we will have our early scanlations

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Big Scary Mouse's Avatar
    Country
    Belarus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGK View Post
    and from what I have seen so far Ohtaka has a pretty definite plan for the story.
    Definitely.
    To be honest, in no way Ohtaka is a masterful storyteller. Her tricks are transparent, her foreshadowing is too obvious. However, she knows what she's doing. Her plot is somewhat simplistic, but solid nonetheless. And she is getting better at it all the time.

I firmly believe that "Magi" will be a really good story in the future (it is even now, arguably).

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Big Scary Mouse's Avatar
    Country
    Belarus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aegon-rokudo View Post
    second tier series like magi
    Is it true anymore? "Magi" is pretty popular nowadays, as far as I know. At least, in Japan.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Magi Popularity Thread

This is where you can post your opinions about Magi's popularity over Japan, and outside Japan; in both the anime and manga industry.

[Forum rules shall apply here]
    Last edited by AlphaIkaros; March 16, 2014 at 04:11 PM.

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magi Popularity Thread

It's because Sense Scans focuses on quality rather than speed which is a good thing.
    Same reason why RHS's released Beelzebub a day or so after the big 3 got their scanlations released.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ryuusu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, Magi is definitely very popular in Japan. I often look at the マギ tag on twitter every morning at 4 am on Sundays and you don't need to understand the language to see how highly enthusiastic they are about the series (it actually trends on the Japanese twitter by the way). To me it's rather endearing seeing so many discussing about something you highly enjoy yourself. All of my friends have seemingly moved on and I honestly feel like the only one who still really like it. It's pretty disheartening ;;

Also, someone who works for sense scans has a tumblr and mentioned how the sense scans are in desperate need for typewriters, scanners, cleaners, and such and are constantly trying to recruit them. I suppose that's another factor affecting its "lateness" although Monday releases really don't bother me. I recall how horribly late Magi anime subs were during its first season, therefore I'm not complaining.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Alot of people underestimate the whole raw/scanlation/translation/cleaning process

one little thing could delay the process a day or so, not to mention the people participating are dancing the line or flat out breaking the law

and they have to be careful how they upload or share

So its never an exact science

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REN KOUEN View Post
    one little thing could delay the process a day or so, not to mention the people participating are dancing the line or flat out breaking the law and they have to be careful how they upload or share
    You have a point with the cleaning/translation process.
    You don't with the "breaking the law" though. When they're done with a chapter they just put in on their scanlation blog. It's going to be illegal no matter what and nobody has to be "sneaky" with the way they scanlate right now because there really isn't active enforcement on it.
    Last edited by Rica_Patin; March 17, 2014 at 02:36 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha, that makes sense

im no expert in this area so i appreciate any new knowledge i can learn

New Reply