Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The MaggeuS thread.

Intl Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The MaggeuS thread.

Okay, here it is !
    Post all you're questions about French here, i'll try to treat all of them ! ( yeah, i'm good in Physics generally, so i got massive free time ) And more

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The MaggeuS thread.

I'll be sure to ask about french later, but there is one thing I want to know, how did you study English? Since I'm an English teacher I like to know how others study and get really good in English....
    So what did you do to reach your level?
    I've studied french for two years (in 8th and 9th grade) and also latin in 7th grade. But I never used it, and pretty much forgot all of it... All I remember is it was very hard to conjugate I had to memorize songs and all that just to remember how to speak...
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Very simple : My mother is an english teacher, so she helped me a lot. I practiced it when i was young, you see, when Suikoden came out. It was a video game on playstation which was not translated in french ... And i loved it ! My mother was playing with me when i had troubles with some words ... Then i went to the internet, and i read, i read, i read ... That's why I was always the best in english, in every grades ^^ . ( until came " Math sup" or the best classes... I don't know if there is an equivalent in english for this ... )

And i don't think i'm really that good ... ^^

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Suikoden!

That's an interesting way to learn English!

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's nice to see such passion to learn a language! It's like how I was with Japanese, instead I just taught myself. My parents didn't know the language
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think the best way to learn a language is to find something you like, and then expose yourself to related media in that language as much as possible.

For instance, I learned to read English by reading the instruction manuals for my Transformer toys! Ah! Those were the days! More than meets the eye!

Nowadays, I visit videogame news sites in Japanese, I buy and play Japanese games almost exclusively, and I try to watch as much NHK as possible, even though most of the time I'm stuck with BS News (that's the actual name of the program - long live Engrish!), and when they go into topics like politics and North Korea, I get completely lost...

But you Gotta love it when they say "BS News wo otsutai shimashita!" ("We just gave you BS News!") 

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

As a french, the best way to learn english is :
    first, learn the basic at school
    then, u have to keep on read something in english or just keep on hearing it.
    I mean I learned the basic at school, then i played a lot of games in english (no french ) like Megaman, Warhammer, Suikoden, etc...
    Also when u are surfing on the web, u have to understand english for many websites. And of course, if u are looking for a training course or a job, employers are often asking for someone that is quite good in english, good enough to translate few things.

Damn, that was so difficult for me to write that.... (Is my english correct ?)

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

You have a few things wrong in the post, I can help point them out. But if all my students were like the ones I meet on forums, my job would be a lot easier... seriously japanese students just aren't interested in learning outside of class

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

that explains why japanese people cant speak english for nuts.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if they could find something that would interest them outside of the class. Can't really imagine what that might be, but it looks like it helps alot for many people here.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njt
    I'll be sure to ask about french later, but there is one thing I want to know, how did you study English? Since I'm an English teacher I like to know how others study and get really good in English....
    So what did you do to reach your level?
    I've studied french for two years (in 8th and 9th grade) and also latin in 7th grade. But I never used it, and pretty much forgot all of it... All I remember is it was very hard to conjugate I had to memorize songs and all that just to remember how to speak...
    You're a teacher 0_0"?? Well, like Iwanin said, he's true. I can read Japanese thanks to the beyblade toy, naruto mangas, jap comics, yeah yeah.... but only *READ* MaggeuS, sometime later probably I'll be interested in French
    Spoiler show
    <br />

Schrödinger's cat 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anax's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you guys are talking about English for once (and since njt is a teacher ) I'll say a thing or two
    In Greece taking English lessons from as young as 2nd-3rd grade is common. My parents tell me I could read a word or two in English and even pronounce them right, before I went to school. Then again I could read and write before I went to 1st grade and have always been very talkative
    What motivated me to learn the language was at first my curiosity, later on the never ending praise I got on how good I was compared to the other kids of my age (I was never really good in anything else other than English, or so I think). Now, however, I like the language for many reasons: Its overal feel, the sound of it (generally, as well as some accents), its grammar and its flexibility in making adjectives or verbs from nouns! Ex.: "I was Storm Bolted" or "You have an I-just-want-to-find-my-way-to-the-bed look" instead of "You have a sleepy look". Sometimes I even write in my diary in English, because it comes naturally at times, since when I write in English my character is a little different (that sounds awfully like schizophrenia ). So, njt, you really need to find a way to motivate your students. You could also use one of my Engish teacher's sayings: "If you want to speak English fluently, or any language for that matter, you must be able to think in it".

Maggeus: Umm, sorry for talking about me in your thread, I couldn't help it
    ~Schrödinger's Cat

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem Anax, feel free to express your feelings here
    Moreover, i was too able to speak a little english before i learnt it at school. I was really better than everyone else in this language.
    I understand too why you think English sounds good : it's not the international language for nothing
    It's easier to learn quickly english than other language, coz you are surrounded by this language, wherever you go.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...

1. How did you get into Naruto?
    2. Is it difficult to translate English to French? How long does it normally take you on each chapter?
    3. Since you asked me about Final Drafts, do you think you could find at least two more people to be able to judge your translations? I think that'd do it.

See ya!

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

1 : A friend gave me 4 naruto DVD fansubbed by the Zeus Team ( a french team ), and then i loved it, that's all ^^
    2 : It's not that difficult, beacause many expressions are the same, but yeah, sometimes, i have to reformulate the sentences.
    3 : i think that i can find more than two I'll ask them.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast