Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: What will the outcome of Mazino's game be?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baam and company will win somehow and get the Jewel.

0 0%
  • Baam and company will lose and they will fail the test.

0 0%
  • Baam and company will lose but Miseng will appear with the second Jewel and save the day.

8 72.73%
  • Mazino will figure out who Baam is during the game and give him the Jewel.

3 27.27%
New Reply

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 111 & 112 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tower of God Chapter 111 & 112 Review

From the results of last week's poll reveal that most saw the through the Zygaena "test". So, everyone who called it, I believe you owe yourself a pat on the back.

Now onto the Review!

Chapter 111 & 112 Review

Badass LVL 9999

The Plot

The primary focus of these last two chapters has been the realization that the group has been sent into a trap. The test administrator set them up with a test which they could not pass; hoping that Mazino would take care of Baam and his group in the process. However, in the situation FUG has put Baam in he will choose his own death over a failure that might cost one of his friends their lives. During his conversation with Mazino, when Mazino questions him about whether or not FUG's desires are really worth it, Baam further clarifies that the safety of those precious to him is more valuable than anything else. This showcases who Baam is more than anything we've seen in quite some time. FUG's attempts to change him really have failed.

Equally insightful, has been the reaction of Baam's group. These chapters showed us that Baams new group may be even more reliable than his old one and are a genuine team willing to stand up and fight for Baam.

But the entity that guided events along more than anything else during these chapters has been Mazino. Quickly it has became evident that he's a man not squeamish about killing people but it's the fight that motivates him more than the kill. When he was faced with Baam, a regular far below his ability who refused to back down (an action which seemed to both impress and please Mazino), he did the best to give him a fighting chance by making a game out of it. He seems to have done this not out of mercy but rather because a fight which he is certain to win is simply no fun. Which makes him a character that it's pretty easy to get excited about.

The Art

Tower of God's art has continued to impress. Absolutely top notch in every area I examine. The lighting and shading are awesome. Having Zygaena slowly flip over while Baam and Mazino were having their conversation, and showing this through the sliding of the parasite corpses, was a bold thing to do and I'm very impressed by the skill SIU showed in making that work.

edit: There was one thing which I forgot to mention, the tiny art mistake involving Yihwa's stockings being missing in one panel, but that art mistake is so miniscule that I would never have noticed it if Monsterguy hadn't pointed it out in the discussion thread; so I'm really not going to hold that against these chapters.

Overall Rating

I can't think of a single flaw in these chapters. They were THAT good. Tower of God is at it's very highest level of quality right now.

So I give these chapters a perfect 5 out of 5

Points of Interest

The Trap

Man, a parasite filled body cavity inside of a fish/cow. I'm surprised the smell alone isn't fatal.

So, as many of us suspected, the Test administrator is using this test as a pretext to kill Baam; apparently by setting him up to fight Mazino. But even knowing it’s a trap Baam will not back down due to the consequences it would have for those dear to him; after all if he dies here than FUG would have no reason to go after his friends. Fortunately, he has had two spots of good luck.

The first is that Mazino is playing with him. Instead of killing Baam, as he easily could, he turned it into a game and even waited until Baam’s team gathered to give them a chance; even if it’s a small one.

The second is that Baam’s team is showing impressive loyalty. Horyang knows exactly how dangerous this opponent is and is stepping up to the plate for Baam anyway and, in a fairly surprising display of morality, the Prince is too. The rest of the team also rushed to Baam’s aid when the call was put out. This shows me, and more importantly will show Baam, just what kind of teammates he's found himself. These are comrades he can work with and trust to guard his back against FUG or whatever else comes his way. This may even be underscored if they lose this game to Mazino, for reasons I will explian in my last point of interest...

He's Urek Mazino

Trying to hide his identity while shirtless with his name tattooed on his back. SIU spoke true, he is an idiot...

We still don’t have absolute confirmation of the mysterious stranger’s identity but at this point is there really any room left for doubt under the mountain of evidence pointing to the idea that he is in fact Urek Mazino? Here's the breakdown...

The Stranger
    • Has “Mazino” tattooed on his back.
    • Wants to escape the tower and has a tattoo of a Wing Tree.
    • Knows Yuri
    • Is one of the strongest in the tower
    • Uses some form of light to attack

Urek Mazino
    • Is named “Mazino”
    • Is a founding member of Wing Tree; a group whose goal it is to escape the tower.
    • Knows Yuri
    • Is 4th ranked in the tower
    • Has a sobriquet called “Ray Barricuda”

At this point it would seem more unbelievable to me to think it would be somebody other than Urek Mazino than it would be that it would actually be the man himself. So, I say, he's Urek Mazino.

The Little Hero

This little girl is carrying more on her shoulders than she knows.

Baam is in a pinch. Stuck competing against an opponent he probably can't beat in a game he can't afford to lose. What can he do? The bad news is that there may be nothing he can do; but there's good news too...

The good news is that, even if they lose, all hope is not lost. Miseng, the weakest member of the group, could be the real champion here. If she catches that baby Zygaena while the rest are playing Mazino's game they can still pass the test. I can almost picture her handing a Jewel of Zygaena to him the same way she did that candy bar during the first test.
    Last edited by Jammin; September 20, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 111 & 112 Review

A quality review. In the end, I think Urek just lets Baam have a jewel and as there are at least two, both parties go home happy and Urek even got a fight out of it. More specifically, I believe that Urek tells Baam to meet him on the 77th Floor for his first fight after he becomes a Ranker.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review, and I agree... those 2 chapters were perfect!
    And, reading through all of SIU blog's posts, I realize just how much this world is interesting.
    We haven't even scratch the surface yet!

As for the outcome, I'm really hesitating between your two last options...
    I could somehow see Mazino giving him the flower after having seen and acknowledged his strength.
    But, I love the idea of Miseng being the one that gets the flower!

Maybe they can return with 2 flowers!

BTW, I wonder how everyone will react when they return...
    I mean, weren't they basically send there specifically to be killed by Mazino?

If they come back alive, people will really start talking about Baam!

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    BTW, I wonder how everyone will react when they return...
    I mean, weren't they basically send there specifically to be killed by Mazino?

If they come back alive, people will really start talking about Baam!
    Imagine if Mazino decides he's waited in this fish long enough and decides just to hitch a ride with them.

Test Administrator =
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Imagine if Mazino decides he's waited in this fish long enough and decides just to hitch a ride with them.

Test Administrator =
    Knowing how Urek is, that dont sound so unlikely at all xD
    I wont give up on the theory that Yuri should show up now, Please let me see Yuri once again T_T
    Last edited by TheBoss; September 20, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm, if Yuri got involved, she'd probably drag Baam with her with all her might but even if she didn't, the story would really move forward, since she wouldn't just sit idle and let FUG use Baam.

It seems someone's coming to pick up Urek eventually (unless he's staying in Jigena because he's lazy), and we can be sure that whoever it is, it must be at least a high ranker. The other person I thought about was Urek's closest friend Backryun, but I doubt he'd move from Walhaiksong's floor for something so unimportant.

And the admin's expression will probably be like that (in his mind, at least) just if the team passes. He expects them to run away scared as shit or smell flowers from beyond.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

New Reply