Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Luffy would one day be the strongest in one piece?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Saint Markus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you think Luffy would one day be the strongest in one piece?

If not the strongest in physical strength, then definitely in spirit. I believe that's the type of hero, Oda, is looking to carryout here. Someone who can influence others in a positive way and still eligible to fight.

This is probably the main reason why, One Piece is suppose popular to the younger audiences, because Luffy remains a positive force in the story, no matter what challenges come his way.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look back, they said that whitebeard is the only person tie a fight with roger, and after roger died, whitebeard hold "the strongest title". That means, roger and whitebeard is the strongest in the world previously. So, IMO, along the journey, luffy will slowly become the strongest in the world. Even Mihawk said that, his ambition to become pirate king is much more crazy than zorro's ambition to become no1 swordsman. So, yes, luffy will become the strongest in one piece, no doubt about that.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by llydnarz View Post
    Shanks, Rayleigh and Jimbei are all stronger than him. But they all respected him. He even earned Whitebeard's respect. And it's not because of his strength but because of his strong will. It's his will that will make him pirate king. The will of D.
    those three were all frendly, enemies would be different story
    Sorry for my Engrish...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post
    gold roger didn't share it with whitebeard

whitebeard was the only person to EVER tie with roger in a fight. that doesn't mean he routinely tied with roger. it just tells u he's the only person who's achieved it once.

whitebeard was called the world's strongest man only after roger died.
    If 2 people as strong as this tied once, do you think they'd ever really fight again?
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    If 2 people as strong as this tied once, do you think they'd ever really fight again?
    If one of them is Luffy? Hell, yes.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Franckie View Post
    There is room for some debate as Roger's and Whitebeard's pirating careers spanned decades. At the very least it would involve Roger's prime as he was only famous worldwide during his final years. Furthermore, Roger hasn't been stated to be stronger than Whitebeard. Both the manga and the databook have made it explicitly clear the two were forced to share the title of "strongest". In other words, Roger = Whitebeard.
    where is this stated in the manga and databooks?
    still waiting

---------- Post added at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    greatly depends on necessity/circumstance

they're both stubborn (hence haki), so if they had differing views that required them to face off, i don't see them hesitating at all to take each other on

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a complex dynamic going on in One Piece in terms of power that very few other stories use where you don't necessarily have to defeat the strongest in battle to achieve your goal.

For example, Whitebeard was definitely called the strongest in the world but when Luffy met him, Whitebeard supported him before he died which means that now that he's dead he will always be known as someone who died holding that title while undefeated as well as Luffy never getting to show us if he's literally stronger than Whitebeard since he will never get the chance to fight him (or Gol D. Roger) mano a mano (as Luffy said to Aokiji).

The other angle to approach this from is that in terms of Luffy's support, having been barely crossed the halfway point of the Grand Line, Luffy already has as his allies or friends:

- Rayleigh, Crocus, Shanks, and possibly Buggy just from the Roger Pirates
    - Mihawk, Hancock, Jinbei (former), and possibly Crocodile (former), as well as Law (and Buggy?) of the Shichibukai
    - Drum Kingdom, Arabasta Kingdom, Skypea, Water 7, and Ryuguu Kingdom (as well as possibly Wano country through Kinemon and Elbaf through Dory and Broggy in the future)
    - Pluton (through Arabasta, Robin or Franky), and Poseidon (through Ryuguu Kingdom)
    - Red Hair Pirates, and whatever's left of the Whitebeard Pirates of the Yonkou

We can only guess who or what else will side with him by the time he reaches Raftel meaning that when the time comes for him to take down the strongest powers that oppose him he will have plenty of the strongest in the world on his side so that he wouldn't have to take on the whole world on by himself to come out on top when all is said and done.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

OP is not some kind of a power fest like typical shonen mangas. The total defeat of pirate side at marineford War showed us that even the strongest man on earth is nothing without strong AND many allies. Hey, even Roger was about to lose when he was outnumbered by Shiki. It was sheer luck that saved him back then.

Thus, I think it's Luffy's actual goal now to achieve what WB and Roger failed to : : unite the rest of the world as his allies. And by 'the rest world', I mean literally the world. Pirates, Revolutionary Army, kingdoms (at least the ones that Luffy helped before), and various races (skyfolk, merman). Think about it, there's no other way the overcome the big war that WB foreshadowed back then.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kukriblades View Post
    OP is not some kind of a power fest like typical shonen mangas. The total defeat of pirate side at marineford War showed us that even the strongest man on earth is nothing without strong AND many allies. Hey, even Roger was about to lose when he was outnumbered by Shiki. It was sheer luck that saved him back then.

Thus, I think it's Luffy's actual goal now to achieve what WB and Roger failed to : : unite the rest of the world as his allies. And by 'the rest world', I mean literally the world. Pirates, Revolutionary Army, kingdoms (at least the ones that Luffy helped before), and various races (skyfolk, merman). Think about it, there's no other way the overcome the big war that WB foreshadowed back then.
    i agree

i think the final fight would be luffy leadidng the entire world in a revolution

and i still think (with the little kid in me) that laboon will be the one that holds off with san juan wolf in this final fight

laboon and his entire family will end up being luffy's biggest (in size) allies/guns

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by llydnarz View Post
    I have no doubt that Luffy would someday be the pirate king. But I don't think that he would be the strongest. I don't want him to be like Gokou in DBZ.

I want him to be the pirate king not because of his strength but because of everyone's respect. They would all acknowledge him as the pirate king not because they're afraid of him or because they can't beat him. But because they would see him worthy of the title.
    people can respect strongest person .
    its not like if u r strongest peopel will not respect u but it other way they will respect u more , they will look to u they will like to become powerful like u .
    if u r strongest even who dont wanted to acknowledge u will acknowledge u
    if ur friend is strongest one will u afraid of him without any resone
    if u r strongest it only make u more worthy of the title of PK.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suraj5898 View Post
    people can respect strongest person .
    its not like if u r strongest peopel will not respect u but it other way they will respect u more , they will look to u they will like to become powerful like u .
    if u r strongest even who dont wanted to acknowledge u will acknowledge u
    if ur friend is strongest one will u afraid of him without any resone
    if u r strongest it only make u more worthy of the title of PK.
    Your statements are true . However, they're not conflicting with the idea that Luffy doesn't have to be the strongest to be the Pirate King.

In terms of logic,

strongest person ~~> leads to ~~> respect
    but
    respect ~~> not always means ~~> strongest person

In other words, being the strongest person is not a requirement to become respected or to become the pirate king. People are respected for lots of different reasons (only one of which is being the strongest). The only two requirements to become the Pirate King is to "conquer" the Grand Line (meaning reach Raftel) and acquire the greatest treasure: One Piece.

The best example is that Whitebeard was respected as an equal to Gol D. Roger while only Roger was known as the Pirate King. Even though in power they were known as equals/rivals, Whitebeard had no interest in reaching Raftel, acquiring One Piece or becoming the Pirate King even long after Roger's death and Whitebeard became a Yonkou. Also, the four emperors are all considered to be equal in power (as a whole including all their allies) even though Whitebeard is clearly known as the world's strongest person which would technically mean Kaidou, Shanks, and Big Mom would have lost to him on a one on one fight.
    Last edited by Anduren; September 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

bro i didnt say if u r strongest that the only way to b PK. what i mean is even if u r strongest u can become PK well being strongest is plus point for title of PK.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

bro i didnt say if u r strongest that the only way to b PK. what i mean is even if u r strongest u can become PK well being strongest is plus point for title of PK.
    of course it's a plus point

but luffy will probably never be the strongest. not technically. this is oda's world, not dragonball, there's no strict power hierarchy. rock paper scissors style, luffy will always have his weaknesses, and that's why he needs his teammates and allies covering him

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

of course it's a plus point

but luffy will probably never be the strongest. not technically. this is oda's world, not dragonball, there's no strict power hierarchy. rock paper scissors style, luffy will always have his weaknesses, and that's why he needs his teammates and allies covering him
    every main character always have atlest 1 weakness till the end. and as u say this is oda's world, not dragonball . let see we have 11 supernova and only out of 11 only luffy and zoro goto 2 years training and all other supernova we see doing good in new world but luffy and zoro r having hard time. they will get hard time till the end because that why they always have to improve them it need for story

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

every main character always have atlest 1 weakness till the end. and as u say this is oda's world, not dragonball . let see we have 11 supernova and only out of 11 only luffy and zoro goto 2 years training and all other supernova we see doing good in new world but luffy and zoro r having hard time. they will get hard time till the end because that why they always have to improve them it need for story
    so are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

sorry i don't quite understand, you doled out a lot of observations but gave no statements regarding my stance

??

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast