Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Gantz 371 Discussion/372 Prediction Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 371 Discussion/372 Prediction Thread

^

1) The god aliens make no sense.
    2) Why does Gantz exist? "Just because" isn't good enough. The explanation was lazy.
    3) Katastrophe arc as a whole has been rather forced. It comes back down to laziness.. the lone mothership with a massive, glowing weak point in the middle? The Americans that never attacked it even though they supposedly launched their attack ages ago? The god aliens that could solve everything in the blink of an eye, but instead they felt like planting some seeds on planet earth and waiting 30 fucking years to have a chance at stopping the giants? And their explanation is "don't read too much into it, we could have done fucking anything but we chose this so deal with it". There's plenty evidence of lazy storylines within the Katastrophe arc, but the room of truth takes the cake. It's insulting. Some nice drawings but it lacks substance :/

I have no problem with the basic concept, just the execution. Plus it depends on what we see next. I doubt the aliens will be the finale. They should be impossible to kill, unless they're actually just a bunch of Nuri's (and why not?), but even then I don't see how you can really sneak up on them in the room of truth (or why the original Nuri couldn't just regen anyway).

What I liked from the room of truth has been:
    - the drawings
    - those 4 people being revived and then quite brutally murdered in order to provoke the gantzers. Great scene
    - FINALLY some insight into what some of the other characters are thinking. Was good to see Nerdo and whatshisname speak up for once, and have an opinion that differs from "the group".
    - the scary god aliens. The philosophical discussion is a bit weak, but the aliens definitely come across as malevolent. I just know they're going to want something big from the gantzers at this stage, and they're clearly going to force them into doing whatever it is. Will be great to find out so we can get the finale rolling.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tanma's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it was said before, but the aliens said there's no god. But they act exactly like gods. They basically showed they can CREATE life from nothing. This is the most important part of being a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Kozar927 View Post
    Not to mention what the aliens are saying are nonsense cliches. Blah blah blah human life is meaningless. Oku... no just...no... that poor horse has been beaten long past death. I expected (What I assume to be) the climax for a very mature manga to be... idk mature. Not this philosophy for 1st graders
    100% agreed.

Oku is really lost there, the "answers" sounded like a lot of bullshit unfortunatelly.

Besides that, the only thing most of us READERS wanted to know it the origin of Gantz, not about the human life itself. He could totally skip that.

"Hey, we made Gantz but we don't really care about the humans, we are intergalactic trolls"

That's how it all sounded to me.
    Last edited by Tanma; September 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    @Gantztre127: Yes, he brought them back.
    -.-

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

I can't believe I forgot to check out this chapter. So Sei and Kishimoto are back than BAMM! Thank god for that, but why Reika and Suzuki (( No! Well looking forward to Gantzers Vs. Beethoven, should be interesting.

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Grenze MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tanma View Post
    I don't know if it was said before, but the aliens said there's no god. But they act exactly like gods. They basically showed they can CREATE life from nothing. This is the most important part of being a god.
    I think in most monotheistic religions these aliens would be considered the Devil. Though it may just be a pantheist thing with Oku, good and evil are one, since they can both created and destroy humans, we do not know about other galactic species.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tanma View Post
    They actually only recreated the life of a previously existing person. They didn't create an entirely new person nor did they create an entirely new species.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member joshua019's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

This manga is so random now, if u read the manga again u'll see that oku changed his mind while writing the manga, with nishi & kaito's death, vampires (which is no where to be seen now) the giant war hero. I think this the problem stems from having long gaps roughly 2 months each chapter, he cant get a definite plot for the manga. Now we are nearing the end, I say this manga is a complete waste a lot of potential for a great, story always thrown away out of the window.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

@joshua019:

He may not have changed his mind. The rewards menu has always been on the table, and it has often been the case that characters will die only to be revived shortly after. It's very possible Katou and Nishi were always supposed to come back.

The other stuff doesn't particularly matter. We don't *need* the vampires (it makes sense for them not to get involved, though a war that spanned maybe longer than 2 days may have required them to at some point, but oh well), and the war with the giants is basically at an end. Scared off for good, probably.
    Last edited by Damura; September 30, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    @joshua019:

He may not have changed his mind. The rewards menu has always been on the table, and it has often been the case that characters will die only to be revived shortly after. It's very possible Katou and Nishi were always supposed to come back.
    Kaito probably but not nishi, I think his idea was to have kie to find out as he goes along, and in kei's eyes we the viewer see the story unravel.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

It's difficult to say. There are signs that Nishi/Katou were always going to return, even from the beginning.

The timeline fits into 3 major story arcs before Katastrophe:

1. The first one was to do a couple of missions and then kill everybody off except Kei. Oku had planned this from the very start (stated in some interview or something).
    2. Oku starts to build up a stable cast of characters (Kaze, Cherry, Old man, Reika, Inaba etc.) and once that's done..
    3. Dicking around with the rewards menu. Old favorites return, Kei goes home, gets his memory back then dies, and the team works hard to bring him back to life 2 hours later
    4. Klusterfuck Katastrophe

In terms of planning Katou and Nishi really weren't gone that long. Would have been very easy to plan an 'end' scenario around those 3 characters right from the very beginning.

Plus, Kei has NEVER actively sought out information. The extent of his investigation into the Gantz tech was figuring out the top trigger on the X-gun is used to lock on to targets. Hard to believe Kei was ever supposed to 'unravel' the mystery. He just doesn't give a fuck. Laziest protagonist ever :/

Example:

Nishi: Hey guys the Americans! Maybe they can tell us how to defeat th-
    Kei: Fuck off Nishi.
    Last edited by Damura; September 30, 2012 at 08:46 PM.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Aren't the vampires basically extinct by now? From what I recall izumi killed a huge number of them, their leader was killed by one of the psychics and the two who were gantzters aren't around anymore. I don't think they were ever meant to be some huge plot point besides additional enemies during the hunts. The only thing we don't know about them is their origin so far however in all likelihood the origin is aliens. I don't think the manga would suffer significantly from not dealing with them. To be fair, the catastrophe event would make it absurd for them to still be enemies of the gantzters considering they did save their asses too.

I would think the catastrophe event and the aliens who sent the technology were planned from day one. One way or the other the whole thing makes perfect sense with what we saw.

To be particularly fair kurono never actually had traditional protagonist attributes to begin with. He started out as a selfish asshole who for no reason whatsoever saw himself as somehow superior to everyone else. He was actually similar in attitude to nishi. The changes he went through throughout the manga didn't exactly make him a hero either. He merely recalled the survival instinct which he had as a younger kid and applied that to the games and it actually got him through them much better than being a traditional hero. His entire focus during his time as leader of the games was not saving the world or people for that matter. His entire focus was much less grand, he wanted to protect those close to him, only those he cared about. He never was a hero at all in many ways actually, his only actual concern was for himself, tae and his friends. His attitude was never in fact about saving the world and was more along the lines of "fuck the world I am going to save the very select group of people I give a shit about". That's why when presented with the information to destroy the mothership he simply couldn't give less of a crap about it, he was never the sort to care as he was as every bit as selfish as he has been every chapter of the manga. Kato is more of a traditional shonen hero however the very things which make him like that make him a much less effective fighter than kurono to begin with.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Aren't the vampires basically extinct by now? From what I recall izumi killed a huge number of them, their leader was killed by one of the psychics and the two who were gantzters aren't around anymore. I don't think they were ever meant to be some huge plot point besides additional enemies during the hunts. The only thing we don't know about them is their origin so far however in all likelihood the origin is aliens. I don't think the manga would suffer significantly from not dealing with them. To be fair, the catastrophe event would make it absurd for them to still be enemies of the gantzters considering they did save their asses too.
    Impossible to tell. Izumi killed about 30-50 of them and Kei killed half a dozen more, but so what? We don't know what their numbers are like. I don't think the psychics ever killed the 'leader'. We don't actually know who the leaders are.

Should they play a role in Katastrophe? Well why not? They're main characters now. Or ought to be. I thought in the beginning it would have been really interesting to see what the vampires (and any aliens they're associated with like the Oni) were up to considering there was apparently a world war going on and everyone was in danger. But in the long term we realise that they were just chilling out for a couple of days when all of a sudden the mothership takes off and leaves planet earth for good.

So I guess they really weren't necessary, but for a really stupid reason. Still would have been cool though. Wondering why Oku didn't just force them into the story. There have already been like a dozen opportunities to slide them into it naturally.

How has anything since the Katastrophe arc made any sense? The only way it make sense is if you accept the god aliens are supposed to make no sense, and that the whole story is fucked because the aliens fucked it just because they make no sense! It's nonsense!

As for the last paragraph, Kurono is very much the hero now. He was always kind of built up as hero material as a kid that had kind of retreated into the back of his personality as he got older. It doesn't matter too much how he started off. Not everyone is fucking Naruto 'instant-hero' overpowered bullshit. I mean he practically is now, but it took a long time to get there.

It's interesting that you think he's still the selfish asshole he was in chapter 1. The reason he didn't want to take on the mothership at this point was because he was interested in saving civilians. He made the right choice in a way, but he's so narrow minded he doesn't even consider the bigger picture. In short, he's a dumbass. I mean look at his rescue plan for fuck sake. What a disaster.

But anyway his heart is in the right place. Remember Kei 1 gave up on Tae for a time when he came across a bunch of prisoners at the zoo. He was willing to risk losing her for good in order to save a bunch of strangers. In fact he was very lucky he picked up that deus ex machina on the way out or he would have been in trouble. Kei and Katou are the only real heroes in the series at the moment. Everyone else on the Tokyo Team would have allowed civilians to die in order to protect their niche group (Osaka). Hell, Kei took it to fucking overdrive a few chapters ago when he opted to spare the entire enemy race on a whim. Interesting that he left Nishi to die when the giants are probably 10x worse, but whatever. He's the big hero he can do what he wants :/

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

killing all the vampire is just a way oku clean up all his indecisions

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What is it about gantz that makes it's releases so long?

Does it have to do with the magazine that it gets distributed in?

Shonen is a weekly manga, but its for kids.

Does he choose to take a month, or does the magazine that it gets released in only come out every month?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kliff2004 View Post
    What is it about gantz that makes it's releases so long?

Does it have to do with the magazine that it gets distributed in?

Shonen is a weekly manga, but its for kids.

Does he choose to take a month, or does the magazine that it gets released in only come out every month?
    Unless something has changed without me noticing, Gantz is on an every other week release schedule (in a weekly magazine) and has been for years.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    Unless something has changed without me noticing, Gantz is on an every other week release schedule (in a weekly magazine) and has been for years.
    Oh, so it gets released regularly, its just the time it takes to translate them that's a factor?

New Reply
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast