Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Gantz 371 Discussion/372 Prediction Thread

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Aland Islands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 371 Discussion/372 Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    Alien: God does not exist.
    Humans: (Completely abandoning their faith) WAAAAAAH!!!!

I don't believe in God, but I find it offensive that Oku writes everyone's faith as being that shallow.

Alien: Life is meaningless. You are nothing but matter.
    Humans: (Ignoring the fact that the question of the meaning of life is the most fundamental question of humanity) WAAAAAAH!!!!

Alien: Human beings are things.
    Humans: (Ignoring the fact that the ability to bring dead people back to life has already been shown and a better test would be to create an entirely new human from scratch with memories and personality) WAAAAAAH!!!!
    They're all barely able to keep their sanity together after just having their SPECIES threatened with extinction with their cities destroyed and friends killed. Ever talked to a war veteran? When the adrenaline dies down, you're scarred for life. And this is even worse than anything humans have done to each other.

Given that life and death are almost meaningless to them now, this really changes EVERYONE's views about life and reality and religion and God.

Then some godlike aliens start hitting you when you're emotionally vulnerable?

It'd be UNREALISTIC if people didn't start to emotionally break down.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

the time to break down was ages ago.

lets not forget these people have been 'at war' for ages now. Mission after mission, nothing. But a couple of aliens tell you there is no god and you start bawling? Fuck that. What a fucking joke.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Kozar927's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    ^

lets not forget these people have been 'at war' for ages now. Mission after mission, nothing. But a couple of aliens tell you there is no god and you start bawling? Fuck that. What a fucking joke.
    Not to mention what the aliens are saying are nonsense cliches. Blah blah blah human life is meaningless. Oku... no just...no... that poor horse has been beaten long past death. I expected (What I assume to be) the climax for a very mature manga to be... idk mature. Not this philosophy for 1st graders
    I need a new sig. Someone make me one plz

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member anime9999's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny how every historical person looks very scary when drawn by Oku. Beethoven for example, and Stephen Hawking...

I'm really impressed that Kurono has the courage to attack the gantz alien, but I bet in the next issue we will see him blown into 100000 pieces before he can even reach him
    Last edited by anime9999; September 28, 2012 at 03:48 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm? Did I miss something, Oku is bringing back Sei and Kishimoto?!

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be completely fair its not like the manga provided deep philosophical insights before. From day one it has been the same standard nihilism. How is this any different from anything which has been said from day one on the manga? Its basically the same idea except that before it was characters expressing their views and now its more like advanced aliens (I don't think we should view them as godlike aliens, they are just living creatures which means everything they do can be explained in terms of technology and biology) telling humans their "facts".

There is also the issue of whether kurono is even attacking actual aliens rather than some sort of device or interpretation of the aliens. I doubt kurono poses an actual threat to them even if his attacks do connect.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

@Gantztre127: Yes, he brought them back.

@kkck: it used to be expressed by character's actions. Now it's like "hey guys, in case you didn't get it..."

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

predicted...attacks alien....wish it was nishi
    gantz alien spams 100x niayrou

also ends up kunro will be savour of the giants

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

@Gantztre127: Yes, he brought them back.

@kkck: it used to be expressed by character's actions. Now it's like "hey guys, in case you didn't get it..."
    Character actions? The only character action that ever addressed this was right before they were about to fight aliens and kurono made a speech about god not existing and them being on their own against the aliens. The manga dealt with a few almost philosophical points but they never varied from standard nihilism nor where in some fashion actually deep. The manga was never like that. All the philosophical points which have been brought up in the manga repeatedly had already been addressed in the first 50 chapters basically... The difference is that at first the nihilism which they consistently brought up was used in a more upbeat way to say they could actually pull off impossible stuff on their own, that they could rely only on themselves and get the job done. Right now the exact same nihilism is being used to tell them that beyond there not being a god they also do not have a soul nor anything at all that makes any of them "them" or individual. Other than that the deepest philosophical point the manga ever made was along the lines of " ALIEN! SHOOT IT".

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

^

The first time was like ... when they died and got to the room. O_O So yeah, pretty scary thing ... death.

Quote Originally Posted by anime9999 View Post
    It's funny how every historical person looks very scary when drawn by Oku. Beethoven for example, and Stephen Hawking...

I'm really impressed that Kurono has the courage to attack the gantz alien, but I bet in the next issue we will see him blown into 100000 pieces before he can even reach him
    I wonder if these chapters ever get animated, the fight between Kei and Beethoven will have background music to Beethoven's symphonies, most likely his 9th.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darthdevil View Post
    Why is it bad writing ? Only because the aliens are talking about science and calling humans trash ? Or because they produced clones and killed them ? Whats the problem ?
    its bad writing because all of these people that are complaining have written more popular manga's than Oku.

Thats why they are so judgmental, cause they are better writers.

And they actually PAY for this manga also. None of them illegally download or view this chapter, they give their money to Oku.

oh wait.................
    Last edited by kliff2004; September 28, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kliff2004 View Post
    its bad writing because all of these people that are complaining have written more popular manga's than Oku.

I love when people make this fallacious argument. You have to be a great (insert whatever) to evaluate something or criticize it? Since most people are professionals in at most one field (if even that), that means no one can criticize anything outside of their field. (I actually work in the writing field albeit on a more technical level)

Writing is intended to be read. Any reader is, therefore, allowed and qualified to evaluate whether they think something is good or bad writing. Since taste is subjective, people can disagree with someone's evaluation.

And they actually PAY for this manga also. None of them illegally download or view this chapter, they give their money to Oku.

oh wait.................
    This is a red herring argument.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Kozar927's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol o yes your right in my lifetime hobby of reading/watching/participating in (through video games) of good story's I have no ability to judge what good story's are despite me having such a passion for them. Lol this argument is beyond shortsighted

Btw I do wright/ draw my own manga for fun and I have also written a few novels just for me personally. I have spent a lot of time appreciating good writing and yes I know what it looks like

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

oh wait.................
    And to this statement. That is correct I do buy every volume of all my favorite manga (gantz being no exception until these recent chapters get serialized then I wont be buying those ones) as soon as they come out in the US. I also purchase collectors items from all my favorite series including gantz that range from action figures to model kits to wall posters to magazines and hardcover books based on the series. How about you champ what money do you throw at manga? because you should make sure your not dealing with a hardcore manga/anime collector before you accuse me of not giving money to the franchise. My room is a shrine to this kind of stuff filled with very expensive items I have purchased based on these series. Yes that includes every single gantz book to be published in the US
    I need a new sig. Someone make me one plz

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Character actions? The only character action that ever addressed this was right before they were about to fight aliens and kurono made a speech about god not existing and them being on their own against the aliens. The manga dealt with a few almost philosophical points but they never varied from standard nihilism nor where in some fashion actually deep. The manga was never like that. All the philosophical points which have been brought up in the manga repeatedly had already been addressed in the first 50 chapters basically... The difference is that at first the nihilism which they consistently brought up was used in a more upbeat way to say they could actually pull off impossible stuff on their own, that they could rely only on themselves and get the job done. Right now the exact same nihilism is being used to tell them that beyond there not being a god they also do not have a soul nor anything at all that makes any of them "them" or individual. Other than that the deepest philosophical point the manga ever made was along the lines of " ALIEN! SHOOT IT".
    off the top of my head I remember the monk from mission 2, the Kishimoto clone thing, the psychic guy's decision to end his life while it still had meaning, Izumi fucking butchering a crowd of people, several aliens talking about God, the memory reversal thing, plus the entire Katastrophe arc up until this point.

We didn't need the god-aliens.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

I probably am better than he is. Writing was never Oku's strongest feature anyway :/

In any case there's a big difference between recognizing quality and being able to create your own.

19. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't understand why would someone complaint about this development.
    I think it's really great!

It explains everything and leads up to a great finale against a 'God' who isn't really a God at all.
    And possibly into a bigger arc against this alien race, who as the power to create and destroy at will.

That's really awesome, IMO!

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

New Reply
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast