Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 600 Why Until Now...

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 600 Why Until Now...

"Even though he's supposed to be dead..."
    Might Guy

This chapter had a lot of expectations to live up to coming after the controversial reveal of Obito Uchiha as Tobi. Just how controversial? Well, I threw up a poll last chapter to gauge how you received the twist and opinion was pretty evenly split between like, didn't like, and don't care/reserving judgement. The don't care reserving judgement was tied for top choice with those who liked the reveal, with each receiving 3 more votes than those who disliked the reveal. That's a very small margin considering the poll received 100+ responses.

Now for the chapter review...

Naruto 600 Why Until Now...
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

Might Guy asks the obvious question when the chapter begins: Is that really Obito Uchiha? Kakashi is convinced enough, though. And Obito himself just doesn't care. He's already written off this reality for the new one he intends to replace it. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

First, we're treated to a recap of the events in Kakashi Gaiden. Kakashi loses an eye. Activating his Sharingan in the process, Obito saves him. Present day Kakashi is thinking back to a boy who cared enough about his comrades to lay his life on the line..

Rin, Kakashi, and Obito attempt to escape from a collapsing cavern. A rock from his blind spot knocks out Kakashi. Obito rushes in. He saves Kakashi but is trapped under rubble himself. Obito bequeaths his right Sharingan to Kakashi. In return, he asks that Kakashi look after Rin. The cave further collapses and Obito is left for dead in the wreckage.

In the present, Kakashi asks Obito why he never revealed himself. Besides being cryptic about whether or not he was ever actually dead, Obito says it's because Kakashi let Rin die. Despite Naruto's plea to save emotions for later, Kakashi is strongly affected by the moment. He expects Obito's blame. But Obito isn't interested in the world as it is any longer. He's moved far past his identity, his past desires, his old loves. He sees only a new future of his making on the horizon.

Obito lets out a wild fire-release attack that Naruto bats away with his Kyuubi-tails. But just as their bout is heating up again, a new challenger appears. Madara Uchiha! And with that, Kishimoto promises that the story enters its final conclusion...

There isn't much here to focus on since the chapter is heavy on flashback and light on action, though the one jutsu we did get to see by chapter's end was very impressive. But I want to talk about Obito and just what's up with his face. Sometimes those look like wrinkles. Sometimes they have enough shading and curvature to look like skin stretched taut across his skull. Perhaps Kishimoto is simply covering for the disparity between what a crushed/distorted face should look like and what generally has looked like wrinkled, old man face. Or maybe he just hasn't gotten the knack of illustrating Obito's new adult character.

I am really dissappointed with this chapter. It's a landmark issue (the 600th!) and it follows a big reveal. Yet all we got were heavy handed flashbacks (as opposed to the brisk, dialogue free romp through time of 599), Kakashi moping some more, Obito only revealing that he is (or at least was at some point) upset about Rin's death, and a cliffhanger team-up of Obito and Madara. The first two felt repetitive and Obito reveals nothing that wasn't assumed after last chapter. The most (and only) interesting thing that happened this chapter happened at it's cliffhanger, but even that has me worried about where the story is being taken. Chapters back, Kishimoto set up three fights as the climax of the war: Kabuto vs Sasuke and Itachi, Madara vs the Five Kage, Tobi vs Naruto. Are we going to see more of the Kage fight in flashback next chapter? Or is that leg of the story simply done and pushed to the side to make room for an Obito-centric arc? And whatever happened to that other Uchiha who went off with a revived man to learn some truth?

Naruto 600 ultimately feels like the series treading water, which is why it gets a ...

2 out of 5.

Predictions

I'm very much hoping that the Five Kage weren't defeated* and that instead they join up with Team Kakashi to take part in a gigantic eleven character melee. I do think that Team Kakashi and Sasuke will both learn the truth about Madara and Obito at roughly the same time. The narrative will hit a point where it's being explained to the heroes and Kishi will change scenes to a travelling Sasuke and Orochimaru as they fill in the gaps of Uchiha history.

I forgot to add a poll this week, but I was going to ask what you thought happened to the Five Kage? Are they dead, mostly dead, beaten, where they were, on their way. Give me your theories on what happened and where this can go. Until next week...

One Line Reviews
    • Tower of God S2 Ch30 has yet to reveal the mysterious man at the tail end of S2 Ch29 but contains some entertaining team banter.
    • Bleach 506 has a dynamite cliffhanger even if it isn't reached in the most graceful of ways. New bankai alert! Check it out.
    • One Piece 681, if not as great as last week, is still pretty fun. There's action aplenty and Sanji delivers my favorite line of the week.
    • I erroneously labeled last week's Billy Bat as #82 when it was actually #81. The actual Billy Bat 82 is just as good as the previous chapter and continues to take the story in surprising directions.
    • Yet the Best of the Week by a clear margin was D.Gray-Man 216. The series is taking off for a month, but went out on a tense, dark, action filled note as two different foes close in on Allen Walker.
    Last edited by blackjack612; September 06, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ryr's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 600 Why Until Now...

Not much is happening in this chapter, mostly flashbacks that we already know.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter though with the ultimate clash.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Krina29's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review!

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Avishek's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Naruto will know the truth even at the end. For flashback we may have to depend on the people Orochimaru and Sasuke are going to meet. That may come as early as next chapter.

In each major battle( Sasuke vs Itachi and Naruto vs Pain), we learned most facts after the batle had come to an end. And this huge battle doesn't look like it's going to end in the next few chapters.

If Sasuke does decide to join the battle, it will only be after he learns the truth and I'm fairly certain from his and Oro's talk, that the place they're going is far removed from the battlefield.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Wonder_Uchia's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

You have my sentiments exactly on this being the 600th chapter and nothing 'epic'. Someone then posted oh he never does anything epic on the 100th chapters so I went ahead and compiled these for that fool

1. 500 - The Birth of Naruto (History of the Uzumaki Clan, Senju Clan etc - http://www.mangareader.net/93-54942-...apter-500.html

2. 400 - The Revelation of The Real Uchia Itachi (background story of why Itachi really killed his clan) - http://www.mangareader.net/93-405-1/...apter-400.html

3. 300 - Sasuke is finally revealed after the time skip in Oro hideout - http://www.mangareader.net/93-305-27...apter-300.html

4. 200 - Naruto Protecting Saskue in the Box - Not too much to brag about

5. 100 - Naruto showing his true power against a Genius Hyuga Neji and defeating him - http://www.mangareader.net/93-105-1/...apter-100.html

8. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

nice and short review black! the amrk was maybe too low,but I agree that the plot isn't heading to where I expected. it's cool that madara arrived,but kishi shouldn't have made tobi/obito spell such an excuse: he acts this way because of Rin's death . another idiot who was good but turned into an enemy because of life hardness . I require more than this simple excuse....

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member flameorigin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review as usual. Hmm what happened to the Hokage?

I'm sure all are alive or 1 is dead. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't see the old man and his last stand against Madara. I feel like that speech and their motives were crucial. Especially when they speak about not letting Naruto down.

Perhaps we'll have a flashback on the old man's last moments if he is dead. But it seems all too contrived and rushed...Almost like - "This is chapter 600, we need something awesome to happen...let's bring Madara in" I don't doubt Madara was always intended to come to Tobi, but perhaps not this soon in this important time. We could've had more of a revelation on what happened to Rin, or how they obtained MS or how can Tobi (I'm still calling him Tobi!) spam it etc...

But no...too contrived. Didn't like the chapter. Bad chapter in a long time.

I don't think the Hokage will join the fight either. They are so beat up. If anything, the other nins should join but I'm still surprised it's taking them longer than Madara.

What if the eternal Genjutsu had to do with fighting off someone/something that is restraining you? Kishi did promise that all the characters would shine.
    Writer or Adventurer? Check. http://www.writerzweb.com

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

have i been the only one to wonder why there are floating rocks? Tobi could have used these rocks when he saved kakashi.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rachwal View Post
    have i been the only one to wonder why there are floating rocks? Tobi could have used these rocks when he saved kakashi.
    Sarcasm? Ghedo Mezou transforming is the cause..

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

UGH!
    Why is everyone so upset about the chapter because it's THE 600th chapter? C'mon guys, do you want Kishimoto to alter the pace of the story or the content of the chapter because of a number?!?!?! For God's sake.....

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    UGH!
    Why is everyone so upset about the chapter because it's THE 600th chapter? C'mon guys, do you want Kishimoto to alter the pace of the story or the content of the chapter because of a number?!?!?! For God's sake.....
    It's more of the question that he DID alter it to satisfy the 600 which is why Madara shows up albeit a bit rushed

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flameorigin View Post
    It's more of the question that he DID alter it to satisfy the 600 which is why Madara shows up albeit a bit rushed
    It was a little rushed, yes, but that's because Kishi needed to move on. It was necessary. He did not know how to continue with Tobi,Gai,Kakashi and Naruto. The plot was walking on the spot. As random as it may have seemed, Kishimoto needed a new character aka Madara to move the plot forward and get us closer to the truth behind Tobi's identity.
    In conclusion, I think he squeezed Madara into the chapter because of the lack of a better way/clumsy and random writing/call it what you want, not because it was the 600th chapter.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review again, you can certainly do the best with what is offered. There is nothing to add, nothing was very thought provoking except for what you bring up. Ill look forward to the next one

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shafagh's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I'm very much hoping that the Five Kage weren't defeated*
    well , I hope they get killed by Madara . At this point of manga I come to believing even Madara+Tobi+Jubi wouldn't kill anyone or even injured him/her badly !!
    خداحافظ

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rachwal View Post
    I actually think Obito geniunely wanted to kill Kakashi here:
    if crushing rocks was so easy for him, why didn't he cut the boulder that made Obito a monstruosity ?

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast