Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/6/14 - 10/12/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: I think the one behind the Liar Game is...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation I think the one behind the Liar Game is...

Akiyama.

Here's the reasoning.

(Could be wrong of course, it's just a theory. But I think there's a really good chance it's correct.)

First, what do we know?

1. Akiyama swindled a huge corporation, and took them down.
    2. He went to prison for it.
    3. He almost certainly got tons of money from swindling the corporation.
    4. He didn't do it for greed, he did it as payback for his mother's death.
    5. The LGT staff themselves don't know many things, for example what game the next dealer will announce.

So the questions are:

1. What did he do with the money he took from the corporation?
    2. Why did Liar Game seem to start up when he got out of prison?
    3. How does the LGT have so much cash to loan out to contestants?
    4. Why have we never seen them forcefully collect on debts?
    5. Why did the fake lawyer working for the LGT tell Nao about Akiyama?
    6. Why do the LGT staff wear masks?
    7. What really happens to the losers?
    8. Why is the Liar Game set up so that people can beat the game if they work together?
    9. Is Nao correct, that the purpose of Liar Game is essentially to teach people to give up on greed?

---

So, I think there are 2 good answers:

Nao is wrong:
    The LGT is the corporation that Akiyama took down, and they're getting back at him by involving Nao, who they know reminds him of his mother, in an effort to manipulate him.

Nao is right:
    Using the money he stole from the corporation, Akiyama anonymously set up the LGT with the purpose of punishing the greedy and forcing them to change their way of thinking in order to escape.

---

Conclusion:

I think Nao is right.

Akiyama took down that MLM corporation, which was responsible for his mother's death. In an effort to prevent something like that from happening again, he came up with a way to lure the most greedy people around and trap them inside Liar Game. In order to escape, they must give up on their greed. Before going to prison, he used all the money he took from the MLM and created the LGT. The LGT staff are probably unaware of who really set it up or what its true purpose is. The LGT staff are quite possibly players who lost, and now are told they must work off their debts, hence the masks.

In the beginning, Akiyama told Nao that the LGT's threats were bogus. They just scared people into playing. And once players had taken money, they were scared that they couldn't go to the police since they might also be looked at as criminals. They also use vague threats to keep people following the LGT's rules, even though we've never seen them do anything at all to the losers. In fact, the LGT simply gives the losers more chances with revival games.

The LGT cannot be making a profit from this. They continually loan money out to the players. Yet, instead of collecting from the losers, they loan them even more money for revival rounds. The business model makes little sense if they're trying to make a profit. It would be near impossible to ever begin to collect huge debts from people who are bankrupt. The LGT must have a lot of cash in order to operate.

Near the beginning, Akiyama told Nao, "Don't trust people. Doubt them." And I doubt Akiyama is what he seems.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think the one behind the Liar Game is...

I would have this as an explanation and/or an ending any day. Really though, if Kaitani manages to pull something even more genius than this it will be hats off to him as well. Though I think your theory, if not completely true, certainly does have some parts that will be true. The former players being staff for the LGT now, that would explain the mask theme that we have been seeing a lot, and the masks all have neutral to sad looks. There might be a lot of symbolism if we just dig deeper, or dig too deep. Though I find this as one of the best theories/posts I have read in a while.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Storm warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrs View Post
    So the questions are:

1. What did he do with the money he took from the corporation?
    You don't get to keep money you steal. And if he did what was necessary to get away with the money, he'd never be released from prison.

2. Why did Liar Game seem to start up when he got out of prison?
    It started days before he got out of prison. And I'm going to call B.S. on the possibility of ANYONE organizing a game on such a scale from prison. I don't care how smart Akiyama is, the limitations of prison are just too great.

3. How does the LGT have so much cash to loan out to contestants?
    The amounts of cash that the Liar Game is "loaning" out is not obscene. It isn't unreasonable for a criminal organization to come up with 20 million in cash for short periods of time. (note: we rarely actually see stacks of cash. We mainly see them assigning value to things or dealing in money on paper)

4. Why have we never seen them forcefully collect on debts?
    7. What really happens to the losers?
    None of the characters we have followed have quit the game in debt. All the players who have lost the revival games we have witnessed have done so without debt.

5. Why did the fake lawyer working for the LGT tell Nao about Akiyama?
    He was screwing with her. And note, he didn't just immediately come out and say that she should contact him. He jokingly mentioned using a scam artist to deal with a scam artist then a few days later she asked how to find a scam artist and he blurted out his name.

6. Why do the LGT staff wear masks?
    What they are doing is not strictly legal.

8. Why is the Liar Game set up so that people can beat the game if they work together?
    Because in a competitive environment, alliances are always better than working alone. And note, they aren't "beating" the game. They aren't making money. If you have a game in which players almost only lose money to each other, if everyone decides to work together, there would be no way to design a game that could prevent that.

9. Is Nao correct, that the purpose of Liar Game is essentially to teach people to give up on greed?
    No. Without greed, there is no motivation. If hard work does not allow someone to advance their lot in life, why would anyone work hard?

The LGT cannot be making a profit from this. They continually loan money out to the players. Yet, instead of collecting from the losers, they loan them even more money for revival rounds. The business model makes little sense if they're trying to make a profit. It would be near impossible to ever begin to collect huge debts from people who are bankrupt. The LGT must have a lot of cash in order to operate.
    Both the profits and losses are almost entirely on paper. A player being up a few hundred million yen at the end of game only matters if they end the game and cash out. Until then, their profits are ethereal.
    Last edited by Reclaimer; September 09, 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Ehhh...

I hope it's not Akiyama. I doubt it too. It would have to be someone with a lot of clout, power, money, etc, to hire out an entire island and an airport, plus make all the technological things, like with the ATMs, work. Also, I can't see Akiyama doing something like this. Personality wise, as he is at the beginning, he's more likely to become a recluse, or even commit suicide, or to take on 'big evil corportiions' for kicks. This sort of thing, which involves innocent people he at least feels some sympathy for, eventually, is not his way of punishing people like those who ran the ponzi scheme that his mum got involved with.

I think it will be someone who is simply massively rich, probably corrupt, behind all this. Why they're doing it...

...maybe to prove that greed destroys people? Maybe they're just bored.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Kazu-Sama's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the way the Liar Game makes money is simple (and was explained in the manga, IIRC).

In round 1, the briefcase round, the only money they actually lose is in the preperation. Each get 100 million, then at the end of the game the debt of one player and the winnings of the other perfectly even out.

A lot of rounds, the prime examples being Bid and 5 card Poker, the Liar Game offers money, then takes a lot of it for the dealer. So lending people money, taking part of it, then asking for the money you lent back ends up giving you a profit.

Also, assuming the LGT offices actually do collect (which they might) then the 'half to buy out' rule guarantees they always end up money up. The Minority rule game, for instance, lent out 1,300 million yen, then reclaimed 1,200 million in debts. Were Akiyama to have dropped out then, he would have paid half of it, 650 million, plus the money from round 1 if that counts, back.

So were Akiyama to walk out and not keep playing and risking his money, LGT would have made an extra 550 million. Even with Akiyama carrying on, they are still the comparatively small sum of 100 million down.

In all occasions they've lent money, they've either expected it all back or expected most back with a way for them to gain the additional sum that would break them even.

As Akiyama said, the only possible way to get them into debt is to keep everybody else paid off and not repaying debts, build up a massive debt himself, and thus keep ensuring the Liar game lends him more and more money and puts him further into debt until they run out of funds.

But as it stands, I believe (I'm not working it out at 3am) that the Liar Game offices are either more rich than they were at the start or marginally poorer, by a fraction of the money owed to them by people like Akiyama that are still in...

Epic Brofist!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG I got so excited to see this question because I replied to the same topic in mangafox forum.
    I have the same thoughts as the OP.

The real person behind Liar Game is Akiyama. I had the same observations:

- Having swindled a large MLM company, he must have had tons of cash. Someone would argue that you cant keep the money you steal, but it is wrong. You can always find ways to launder it. Here in our country, corrupt officials "known" assets are frozen, but they have tons of hidden cash and assets somewhere else, overseas, etc. It is always easy to hide your stolen money if you are wise. And Akiyama is wise. He can easily do that with ease.
    - He did it as revenge for his mother not because of greed
    - Liar Game started only a few days before his release from prison. Yes that is doable. If you have contacts outside, you can easily do that. Remember the whole point of this game - people are greedy, and if offered with money, they can easily falter. His connections would just have to bribe, and viola! Very, very possible indeed.
    - He said to Nao, "do not trust people immediately. Doubt them. Question them." He may have referred to himself.

These are some added comments:
    - Akiyama is a very intelligent, cunning and persuasive man. He can set up this game with ease.
    - He lost faith in people. He thinks no person is worth saving
    - However he had lots of cash-what to do with it? He really doesnt want it for himself. So he set up a game to find if there are still people worth having the money. If there are still honest people who are not out there to cheat others
    - If the Liar game started a few days only before his release from prison, he must have at least 1 contact in the Liar game. It must be Leronira.
    - The game is to prove if there exists even one human soul who can resist greed, and how one pure person can influence others
    - In the first revival round, Akiyama said he called LGT office to find out where the revival round is being held. Can they really call LGT office? From what Ive seen with other players, they do not even know how to contact LGT. LGT representatives are going to their houses to deliver the invitation. The players do not even know where the office is. They just wait for someone to call / visit them. How come Akiyama knows where it is? I think he was lying.
    - Other dealers are victims of deceit of other organizations that Akiyama saved in the past (they may know it's Akiyama, or may not, what they probably know is someone saved them and they are in debt to them), that's why they are all skeptical about Nao being pure. That may also explain why the dealers are loyal to LGT, aside from getting money from it as well, or/and they probably wanted revenge too against greedy people because they themselves have been victims in the past). Leronira however believes on Nao. He is not as skeptic as the others.
    - He must have opened this game to gamblers to bet on because he is certain that these gamblers will also lose in the process. That's how intelligent Akiyama is.

I still believe it's Akiyama who's behind all of this. If he iindeed s, let's see how Nao will take this.
    Last edited by KenKao; September 15, 2014 at 02:49 AM.

New Reply