Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shingeki no Kyojin 38 Discussion / 39 Predictions

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin 38 Discussion / 39 Predictions

Actually we can recognize 3 titan factions:

1. Reyner, Annie and the tall guy (can't remember exactly the name) of the Colossal and Armored Titan faction;
    2. Ymir of the faction that (it seems) can command and be revered by titans (or a certain type of) and maybe wanna steal the wall secret by Christa;
    3. The Ape Titan faction (seems uncontrolled and they don't know a thing about 3d gear and other common stuff).

Some speculations:

- The canned food can be an execuse by Ymir (who has it from the beggining and not found it into the castle) to check if Reyner knows that strange language. Ymir suspected of Reyner when he tried to drive Connie to drop the humans transformed in titan topic;

- The language can be something that has nothing to do with Royalty Family etc but some sort of a titan related language that only member of the differents titan factions can read and understand. So the trap of Ymir was to confirm that Reyner is a traitor like her.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Limit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    Actually we can recognize 3 titan factions:

1. Reyner, Annie and the tall guy (can't remember exactly the name) of the Colossal and Armored Titan faction;
    2. Ymir of the faction that (it seems) can command and be revered by titans (or a certain type of) and maybe wanna steal the wall secret by Christa;
    3. The Ape Titan faction (seems uncontrolled and they don't know a thing about 3d gear and other common stuff).

Some speculations:

- The canned food can be an execuse by Ymir (who has it from the beggining and not found it into the castle) to check if Reyner knows that strange language. Ymir suspected of Reyner when he tried to drive Connie to drop the humans transformed in titan topic;

- The language can be something that has nothing to do with Royalty Family etc but some sort of a titan related language that only member of the differents titan factions can read and understand. So the trap of Ymir was to confirm that Reyner is a traitor like her.
    That could be the case, Reiner is (maybe) in Annie's faction, so he knows something, maybe Ymir is testing how far his knowledge goes?

As for the "titan" language, it could be the language spoken back in the olden times before titan's came, but it is unlikely for a language to change in only around 100 years, but it could be how they wrote back then. Idk, I'm just spitting out ideas now.

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aldrich's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The cans are actually a very interesting part of the chapter, because they're apparently canned herring. If Ymir isn't lying, that either means these cans are a hundred year old (which would be weird) or... That they come from a human community living outside the wall. Herring is a salt water fish, and there's no access to the ocean in the land protected by the walls.

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be easy for Ymir give an excuse for the cans. She could say that in her village this type of characters is an old language, it's like a tradition.
    I'm getting lost with the time, i need read it the last chapters again.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Since no one else has mentioned it, I have to ask: what color are the canned herring?
    I don't know if that idiom is used in Japan, but the use of that particular fish stood out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpM View Post
    Would be easy for Ymir give an excuse for the cans. She could say that in her village this type of characters is an old language, it's like a tradition.
    And there is almost certainly some legitimacy to that. We've already seen reference to different ethnic groups (Mikasa) and different cultures (Sasha's family). Why do we automatically assume that no one speaks any other language?

The cans could very easily be a red herring. (and massive kudos to the author if he makes cans of herring into a red herring)
    Last edited by Reclaimer; October 11, 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Reiner knows how to read or knows what language is that, this would explain why Reiner had that reaction.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Reiner knows how to read or knows what language is that, this would explain why Reiner had that reaction.
    So would him not understanding it. If it is a language related to the titans or some human faction connected to the titans and he knows it, what is his motivation for pretending to be ignorant? That is the difference between Ymir seeing him as a possible ally versus a threat that might be better eliminated in the confusion.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    So would him not understanding it. If it is a language related to the titans or some human faction connected to the titans and he knows it, what is his motivation for pretending to be ignorant? That is the difference between Ymir seeing him as a possible ally versus a threat that might be better eliminated in the confusion.
    Ymir seems be on the side of the guys who want's keep the wall. We don't know which side Reiner belongs, would be more smart pretend that you don't know nothing. Or what he's saying it's true, he doesn't know how to read but know from where those characters are.
    Look how surprise Reiner looks to those characters. Why he gets so mad? There's no explanation, can't be just for his incapacity in read the can of food.

And know that i have read this theory http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/36...prefixid=m9011
    I almost have sure that Reiner know what those characters are.
    Last edited by AlpM; October 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ymir seems be on the side of the guys who want's keep the wall.
    We actually don't know what side Ymir is on since we haven't seen her do anything except be in love with Christa.

Or what he's saying it's true, he doesn't know how to read but know from where those characters are.
    If he knew what the characters were, why would he say "What are these characters?"

Look how surprise Reiner looks to those characters. Why he gets so mad? There's no explanation, can't be just for his incapacity in read the can of food.
    His expressions go:
    1) Shock
    2) Unreadable
    3) Unreadable
    4) Shock
    Then the alarm is sounded.

The unreadable expressions look ominous due to the lighting and angles, but you can't interpret that as anger, especially since he so quickly shifts back to shock.

And know that i have read this theory http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/36...prefixid=m9011
    I almost have sure that Reiner know what those characters are.
    That's a pretty standard theory but does not inherently imply he knows anything.
    Last edited by Reclaimer; October 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

If he knew what the characters were, why would he say "What are these characters?"
    He doesn't know in fact what they are, he must had seen they before and know they aren't just a commum characters, but something more. That those characters are something that normal persons doesn't have knowledge.

His expressions go:
    1) Shock
    2) Unreadable
    3) Unreadable
    4) Shock
    Then the alarm is sounded.

The unreadable expressions look ominous due to the lighting and angles, but you can't interpret that as anger, especially since he so quickly shifts back to shock.
    Why would he had that reaction just because Ymir know read simple characters? How i said before, could be characters from a determined area, there are a lot of different areas and different cultures.

Sorry by the bad English.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Reiner's reaction is almost certainly a product of 4 things:
    -One of their former companions was revelead to have betrayed humanity. They were all segregated because one or more of their group might also be of questionable loyalty
    -They are in an incredibly stressful situation
    -Ymir's response to Connie's comments about his village is suspicious due to how over the top she was. It can be justified in the same way as Reiner's response in that it is an attempt to decrease the stress by preventing useless thoughts, but when you:
    -Add her being able to read strange characters
    When you combine all that, of course, someone is going to apprehensive around her. There are logical explanations for everything, but the situation has not allowed time to sit down and calmly evaluate anything.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying that Ymir does not have any connection to the titans, just that there is still the possibility that this is all a red herring.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the connection is that flashback where the titan bow in front of a girl with an aspect similar to Ymir and call her Ymir-sama. Ymir must to be some sort of titan tamer or at least someone that "has the inherited power" of command the titans.
    Obviously this is not the same case of Reyner. I red that cospiration theory about the trio Annie - Reyner - Tall Guy and I'm pretty sure Reyner is Annie's mate (not sure for the tall guy but if you read the last chapter and look at his facial expression you can easly say yes) so they are humans trained to transform into titans and master their abilities (look at Annie crystal protection and so on).
    Than we have the Ape Titan, probably don't know a thing about Ymir and don't know a thing about stuff that Rayner and Annie's faction know a lot.

Well the real point here is: what now? Bigfoot escape, no breach in the wall, what to do? Simply fight titans? I hope Ymir is waiting for something or at least that titans will react in front of her bowing etc. We need something unpredictable while waiting for the chapter when Eren will come in that basement and explain all the stuff.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

MH Community Awards 2012 are back with Voting Round 1 . In this round, you get to vote for the nominations from the first phase. Being a part of this wonderful community, we expect maximum participation from your end.

Thanks.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    Well the connection is that flashback where the titan bow in front of a girl with an aspect similar to Ymir and call her Ymir-sama. Ymir must to be some sort of titan tamer or at least someone that "has the inherited power" of command the titans.
    Obviously this is not the same case of Reyner. I red that cospiration theory about the trio Annie - Reyner - Tall Guy and I'm pretty sure Reyner is Annie's mate (not sure for the tall guy but if you read the last chapter and look at his facial expression you can easly say yes) so they are humans trained to transform into titans and master their abilities (look at Annie crystal protection and so on).
    Than we have the Ape Titan, probably don't know a thing about Ymir and don't know a thing about stuff that Rayner and Annie's faction know a lot.

Well the real point here is: what now? Bigfoot escape, no breach in the wall, what to do? Simply fight titans? I hope Ymir is waiting for something or at least that titans will react in front of her bowing etc. We need something unpredictable while waiting for the chapter when Eren will come in that basement and explain all the stuff.
    I forgot about that! That was from the flashback at the beginning of volume 5, where Ilse Lagner, a member of the scouting legion was confronted by a Titan that could speak, the first time the audience had seen such a thing. The Titan said Ymir's People, Ymir-Sama, and bowed it's head before devouring Ilse. At the end of the chapter Rivaille found her diary. I had forgotten that chapter, never making the connection between Ysmir and Ysmir-sama. Ysmir is probably another transforming Titan, similar to Annie. We know that Annie could command Titan's while transformed. "Ysmir's People" would then be the Titans that Ysmir commands. Each transforming Titan could command a squad of regular Titan's, just like officers of a human army. Ysmir could be ordered to watch Christa, the only person with connection to the cult of the wall in the position to divulge their secrets.
    Last edited by Kaiten; October 26, 2012 at 06:59 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we have chapter 39/40 discussion thread?

The translate for 39 is already up on mangahere.

I don't want to write spoilers in here so i'll wait.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2