Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Prince of Tennis Tournament Discussion Thread

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ashore's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Tournament Discussion Thread

teams that are left in the tournament as of this post.

Team 2 - S1: Yukimura Seiichi, S2: Kai Yuujirou, D1: Shiraishi Kuranosuke/Kirihara Akaya
    Team 3 - S1: Sanada Gen'ichirou, S2: Amane Hikaru, D1: Taira Yoshiyuki/Momoshiro Takeshi

Team 6 - S1: Oni Juujirou, S2: Hirakoba Rin, D1: Shishido Ryou/Tanishi Kei
    Team 12 - S1: Fuji Shuusuke, S2: Akutagawa Jirou, D1: Tachibana Kippei/Chitose Senri

team 6 vs team 3 ( deciding match - sanada vs oni)
    team 2 vs team 12 (deciding match- Doubles)

this could be another rikkai final if sanada and yukimura's team wins.

could be yips vs black aura. or yips vs oni or genius vs Sanada.

i'm looking forward to all these possibilities.
    Last edited by ashore; October 09, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanada vs Oni: Sanada
    Yukimura vs Fuji: Yukimura

Yukimura vs Sanada in the end.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ashore's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

nice predictions i look forward to discussion when the match occurs.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really hoping that Fuji gets to the final and wins Singles 1 there. He's the Cinderella of this 4 monsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    I know it's tough on you jose...imagine me
    fapfapfap

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji Kikumaru View Post
    I'm really hoping that Fuji gets to the final and wins Singles 1 there. He's the Cinderella of this 4 monsters.
    He'll lose dude, and I would love to see him in the finals, but with his current level, he'd get owned by Oni, Yuki or Sanada

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Team 12 beats Team 2 2-1 and advances to the Finals. The bracket image has been updated accordingly.

Next up are the matches between Teams 3 and 6. Enjoy.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LetalHawk View Post
    He'll lose dude, and I would love to see him in the finals, but with his current level, he'd get owned by Oni, Yuki or Sanada
    I like Fuji, but he will die against so many people right now. It's annoying he hasn't been shown to upgrade yet.
    But i'm hopeful for big things for him in 2013.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TheShiraishi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    I like Fuji, but he will die against so many people right now. It's annoying he hasn't been shown to upgrade yet.
    But i'm hopeful for big things for him in 2013.
    So hyped for Fuji's match lol... his and Golden Pair were my favorite in PoT. I don't understand why Marui and Kite are playing at all... they shouldn't be in the plot at all for such an important match.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Team 3 beats Team 6 2-1 and advances to the Finals. The bracket image has been updated accordingly.

Next up is the Finals: Team 3 vs Team 12. Enjoy.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I made the decisive vote to let team 3 advance... I feel so :O
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    I know it's tough on you jose...imagine me
    fapfapfap

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why this still seems to be a problematic concept.

Characters may have leveled up while we didn't see them, this may be discussed and factored in when making decisions. This is what's referred to as "reasonable improvements" in the rules.

That doesn't mean that a character gets wins because the plot says so, simply because we have no plot here.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with Fuji is that he gets ridiculous upgrades whenever he faces superior competition, since he starts out with 'second fiddle to Tezuka' stats, unlike people like Sanada or even Shiraishi who at least can be thought of as a legitmate challenger as opposed to just a second fiddle. But of course since he's really supposed to Tezuka-level kind of good, so that means his improvements are generally way beyond anything reasonable. I've read a bunch of fanfic and whenever Fuji matches up against a G10 he always learns a 7th counter that either manipulates time, space or both. Not saying fanfic are at all definitive, but he's the one character where you can read about how 7th counter warps time and you kind of have to say, "Well, it is Fuji, you never know what he can do." But when you're literally allowed any amount of random powerups (supported by the manga) that makes speculating his potential pointless.

Any reasonable improvement on Fuji's part would result him getting stomped by a Tezuka calibur opponent. But Fuji's improvement are anything but reasonable, and yet just because his improvements are crazy you can't say, "Fuji uses Black Aura, TnK, yips, and annihilation ball at the same time. 6-0 Fuji." Yet, you can't also dismiss that as pure fandom because we're talking about Fuji. If he really did that in the manga, I certainly won't be surprised.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    I'm not sure why this still seems to be a problematic concept.

Characters may have leveled up while we didn't see them, this may be discussed and factored in when making decisions. This is what's referred to as "reasonable improvements" in the rules.

That doesn't mean that a character gets wins because the plot says so, simply because we have no plot here.
    But then why do others not understand this concept then?
    As if Ryoma won't get reasonable improvement etc. And then blaming that on the plot even though Ryoma likely improved massively.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Team 12 beats Team 3 2-1. The bracket image has been updated accordingly.

The champions are Fuji Shuusuke, Tachibana Kippei, Chitose Senri and Akutagawa Jirou!

Thanks to everyone who voted, participated in the discussion and gave feedback, I hope you enjoyed it.
    Special thanks to Darjaille for helping with the planning of the tournament and creating the match images, and Miyagi for installing the revote plug-in and creating the bracket image.

This thread will remain open for 10 more days, so please use that time to further discuss the tournament; problems you may have had with the format, matches you would have liked to see and players you might have missed.
    Also, would you like to have another tournament like this in the future (possibly with a different format)?

Furthermore, there will be a bonus round going on during the next week. We're searching for the strongest player in each of the positions to create an all star team.

Now, with that out of the way, I feel like I should explain some aspects behind the format and team creation. We chose a team format instead of an individual one to account for the, at times huge, gaps in abilities of the SPoT cast.

Our fear was that if we only had individual singles matches, there would be a lot less discussion and most of the early round matches would have been complete blowouts in terms of abilities. This also allowed us to include a Doubles aspect. I think it worked out reasonably well overall, although one could argue that just two seperate tournaments would have been better.

If you have any opinions on that, I'd be glad to hear them.

Regarding the characters I chose, I tried to keep a balance between those that were decently close skill wise and those that had shown us more complete playstyle. The two greatest oddballs here were probably Oni and Mouri, but I felt like they were the only ones (aside from maybe anime!Migihashi) who stood a chance against the rest of the S1 candidates.
    Akutsu or Shiraishi certainly would have been possible, but then they would have missed in the D1 slot.

In S2, the strongest characters were probably Kabaji, Yamato and Matsudaira; the former two however have a more opponent depending strength, so they seemed like good choices here, whereas Matsu filled the last spot because he seemed like the weakest of the shown 3rd Court players (I'm not so happy about having him in this pool though to be perfectly honest).

The D1 pairs were overall fairly close in my opinion and I'm satisfied with all the combinations besides Date/Gin (because power vs non power just gets awkward).

Lastly, I tried to keep the teams' overall strength fairly equal, so if a team had a stronger S1, their S2 would be weaker.

I guess one last thing I could include here is how I personally saw the tournament matches and how I would have voted, in case anyone is interested.

Spoiler show

That's about it for the time being. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.
    Again, thanks to all participants and helpers, and enjoy the bonus round.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Unbeliveable, Irie vs Tezuka Irie? Seriously?

That with TZ, plus Hyakuren and Saiki, would have lost? Not at all. Tezuka is likely to be stronger than Irie before unlocking POP. Just saying that Irie is stronger than Tezuka pre POP is really absurd, I won't think, and never, than Irie is and was stronger than Tezuka.

Thread Closed
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast