Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)

View Poll Results: Renewed Kage Death Watch: Who will die?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ei the Raikage

5 5.10%
  • Mei the Mizukage

3 3.06%
  • Gaara the Kazekage

3 3.06%
  • Tsuande the Hokage

67 68.37%
  • Onoki the Tsuchikage

28 28.57%
  • None of Them

19 19.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 601 Obito and Madara

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 601 Obito and Madara

"Everyone's doing as they like..."
    Madara Uchiha

After a couple of chapters I've been less than enthused with, we get a chapter that begins to move things back in interesting directions. Naruto 601 doesn't provide outright answers to long running questions, but it provides hints to some of them and features a return of characters we haven't seen for some time. Now for the chapter review...

Naruto 601 Obito and Madara
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

The chapter opens with everyone, including Obito, surprised by Madara's appearance. Naruto, who's met him before, confirms his identity for Kakashi and Guy. Meanwhile, Madara is able to tell that this Naruto is a clone also. Where is the real Naruto? That's a good question and the chapter doesn't answer it in the slightest. But it does answer another that Madara's appearance has created. Where are the five Kage?

Answer: beaten and bleeding out where they were. Tsunade is the only one of the five to regain consciousness. Tsunade summons Katsuyu who wants to tend first to her own wounds, but Tsunade wants to see to her comrades wounds first. She says she can still save them, so it's safe to assume that they at least will live to fight again. Meanwhile, Killer B frees himself of Obito's stakes before they could bind his tailed beast. Obito returns Madara's war fan and their banter proves that they indeed know each other well.

There isn't much here to focus on since the chapter is heavy on flashback and light on action, though the one jutsu we did get to see by chapter's end was very impressive. But I want to talk about Obito and just what's up with his face. Sometimes those look like wrinkles. Sometimes they have enough shading and curvature to look like skin stretched taut across his skull. Perhaps Kishimoto is simply covering for the disparity between what a crushed/distorted face should look like and what generally has looked like wrinkled, old man face. Or maybe he just hasn't gotten the knack of illustrating Obito's new adult character.

Obito and Madara was a wonderfully illustrated chapter that I think excellently captured a mood of dread going into this new fight. Naruto was the just the right level of angry. Madara was equally as menacing. But the strongest images of the chapter were of the Kages taken down and bleeding out in a dense and unruly forest. Much as I would rather have seen some of Madara's fight and subsequent flight, I like how the massiveness of the forest suggests the Kage were beaten down by liberal use of Hashirama's wood release jutsu. The downside to how convincing those images were, is that if Tsunade survives after resuscitating her comrades, it'll be a bit on the unbelievable side because she does not in any way look like she could take that kind of strain and walk it off.

As I stated in my intro, I liked this chapter a lot more than I liked the last two. I'm still willing to come around on the Obito=Tobi reveal if Kishimoto lays the groundwork for his motivation, which he begins to do here. Obito and Madara's relationship feels lived in. The two know each other well and there's a mutual respect and trust between them. It's telling that even with all the set backs and improvisations, Madara believes Obito still has something up his sleeve to turn the situation around. This contrasts sharply with the teaser that ends the chapter between a washed up and aging legend and a confused boy very surprised to be alive. And while I'm anxious to see the Kage back in action, the severe injuries (was Tsunade crushed/torn in half by that tree) hints at a willingness to let some of them die.

All in all, Naruto 601 gave us a lot of what Naruto 600 should have and gets a ...

4 out of 5.

Predictions

Well, it looks like my hopes for a gigantic melee are going to happen, although maybe not all five Kage will join in. I have a sneaking suspicion that Tsunade may die in her efforts to rejuvenate the others. As for the coming Obito revelations, will he share any of this knowledge with Kakashi or will the flashbacks be for us alone to see? I think eventually Kakashi will get some closure, even if it comes from whatever Sasuke learns in his current travels.

One Line Reviews
    • There's a lot going on in One Piece 681, but not enough has been revealed about Law to give the cliffhanger the sort of weight its angling for.
    • The current arc might have started a bit clumsily and motivations for both sides of this Thousand Year Blood War are still lacking, but overall Bleach has been on a tear the last month. Bleach 507 continues this trend with perhaps the least showy Bankai we've seen yet.
    • Gantz 370 tries for depth this week, and while it's attempts at philosophy are far deeper than that in titles like Air Gear, the arguments present for and against the value of human life this chapter are very flawed and the reactions of the human characters strain credulity. However, the debate does lead to some fantastically illustrated scenes worth checking out the chapter for those alone.
    • Billy Bat 83 ramps up the tension another notch. Secrets are shared and the characters in the past head towards a dangerous confrontation. Will Urasawa deliver a happy ending or does this growing darkness mark a turning point in the manga?
    • My Pick for the Week goes to Tower of God S2 Ch31. ToG introduces a mysterious high ranker to impede the team's path and sets up an epic showdown between Baam and him. No other manga this week got me so excited to see what comes next.

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Krina29's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 601 Obito and Madara

The art was really nice indeed and even tough I'm not a Tobito fan I liked the way Kishi made the reveal
    Great review as always

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I also liked the chapter more than the last few. Especially Naruto not being a dumbass but clearly knowing what it means for the Kages when Madara is at their place. All the Kages being near death was a shocking page - I highly doubt that Tsunade can survive it. Her body is split in two, she already released Sozo Saisei and now summoned Katsuyu to help the others... I think she'll join Dan soon.
    For the cliffhanger of the chapter I hope Kishi shows that he actually thought Tobi being Obito well through. The last few chapters made me think that he didn't - important questions: how did Obito get strong enough to fight Minato, how did he grow so much in about 1 or 2 years and (from the current chapter) since Edo Tensei revives you the way you were when you died why is Madara so old in the flashback and so young as Edo Tensei?

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool review. But I think I can answer where the real
    Naruto is. He seems to be situated close bee in this page http://www.mangareader.net/naruto/601/4. You can clearly see there is a Naruto infront of Kakashi (the clone) and the original is behind him. Close to Bee. The original was probably the one who used the Kyuubi
    Tails to free Bee, whereas the clone used a single handed (badass) mini bijuu bomb he apparently
    created by himself (hi he can atleast solo Raikage with a clone now). You can even see the clone dispersing from Madara's fan backlash in the explosion.

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ryr's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Tsunade and Onoki.

Really looking forward to the next chapter.

GOT MILLKKK? 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Incoming Tsunade's final will: Naruto's the next Hokage.

:<

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Belize
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone notes the page with the strange thing in the arm of obito? What was that?? Autocure of the arm?? Something moving in the arm?? Please clear me this thing....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shafagh's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

what happen to Temari and her co !?
    خداحافظ

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks black,but you seem to be wrong where you say that naruto's real body isn't there: http://mangastream.com/read/naruto/82072451/6 here you can see that there's one ahead of kakashi,whereas the real one seems to be behind him and ahead of bee. yet,kakashi's "!" and bee's "question" are a bit interesting...
    Last edited by mattiaildivino; September 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taraku View Post
    (from the current chapter) since Edo Tensei revives you the way you were when you died why is Madara so old in the flashback and so young as Edo Tensei?
    Actually, Kabuto answered this one when he first spoke with the revived Madara. Madara was the only specially altered summon. Kabuto enhanced him with all the vitality he had in the prime of his youth but included the skills he perfected into old age like the Rinnegan.

Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    Incoming Tsunade's final will: Naruto's the next Hokage.

:<
    This would make me very happy. I kind of think Kakashi is next in line, but if Tsunade died and the other four Kage showed up and delivered Tsunade's will/message that Naruto is now the Hokage, things would get very interesting.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

but guys, katsuyu did state that she can heal tsunade. tsunade did not refuse,she just wanted to heal the others first. hence she must be saved too. furthermore,it's not that her mark disappeared,it's still there hence she does have the chakra to survive.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree on this chapter and your take on Bleach. Bleach has really out shined Naruto and I really didn't think that would be the case closing in on this huge unmasking.
    This chapter though was certainly better then the last two. I did not think the Kages part was the most interesting though but rather the Madara Obito meeting up page. What reasons will be given for Obitos real betrayal, how does the lose ends tie up? It finally feels like were right there about to find out. Now I don't even mind if they cut of to the side events, I feel like the main questions of the Akatsuki will soon be revealed.

Shame I can't thank and like at the same time.

19. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

She does have the chakra to heal the others, but healing 4 almost dead people after such a fight is nothing easy... I expect Tsunade to die afterwards, if not because of her wounds then exhaustion. It would also provide a great plot device.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

well,despite being on the verge of death,tsunade had still the chakra to summon katsuyu,and it didn't look that it had costed her much of what she had (and remember that jiraiya and naruto had to use a lot of chakra to summon bunta). furthermore,she hasn't got to restore them,but just to ensure them that they will survive. (remember what chiyo told sasori about sakura: chiyo would have died if she had had to revive sakura,but she was just heavily wounded,that's why chiyo didn't have to use too much chakra. well,here's more or less the same). of course,noone out of the kages will still be able to go on fighting,I hope.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Zimbabwe
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been expecting Tsunade to die in battle for quite some time... and sadly, I'm proven right.
    Damn, she's already split in half -- I guess it's either her life, or the lives of other kage. One can only salute her guts and determination - summoning Katsuyu, a boss summon, is already a big deal, many times bigger so when you're about to die.

RIP Tsunade...
    And yeah, Naruto gets a field promotion from genin to hokage. Feels kinda bittersweet now.

Quote Quote:
    walk it off
    Walk it off? She's, you know, half the woman she used to be.

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast