Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 597 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "im a shell of my former self" was it a lie or a kishi's burtal story change ?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

"im a shell of my former self" was it a lie or a kishi's burtal story change ?

When tobi was still a mysterious, cold, frightening character one of the strongest element of the character was that weird statements about how he is now powerless and a shell of is former self who want to be complete.

The character was intelligent, untouchable yet he was not a powerhouse and seemed fragile.

Dou you think that it was just a trolling lie ? Or that kishi abandonned that part ?

Cause as we see it now he is FAR from a shell of "former obito".He is way stronger than young obito and now we know that this space-time jutsu is just a regular mangekyou personnal skill.He can spam it without any chakra issues, he can regenerate, he can use powerfull katon jutsus, launche crazy magical weapons from the outter space, summon and control one of the strongest creature we have ever seen (gedo mazo) and controle bijuus.He can probably perform any regular uchiha jutsu at a S-rank level of power.

How is that a "shell" state ? Obito is an "above kage level" ninja and only madara seems stronger than him 1to1 (even sennin kabuto with an army of Edo at disposal was in fear of a direct confrontation with tobi).

He was way more interessant when all he was able to do was warping people around and trolling with powerfull catchphrases waiting for is "real power" to come back.

now it just looks like he was already able to destroy any kage 1on1 since a looooooooooooooong time.

Kishiiiii wwhyyyyyyyyyy
    Last edited by Minishin; September 13, 2012 at 06:34 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chibistar6's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "im a shell of my former self" was it a lie or a kishi's burtal story change ?

At that point in the story Obito was still operating under the facade that he was Madara. Madara's strength at the peak of his power was well-known, so saying something like "I'm a shell of my former self" would make total sense to those familiar with Madara's power (and fall from it) and would fit with this when people thought of him in the context of being Madara himself.

Shortly after saying that, he went on to claim that he was proposing his Moon's Eye plan in order to become "complete". Again, by a Tobi=Madara standpoint, those who knew of his identity as Madara would think it natural that a fallen Madara was seeking power once again through this plan.

I was wondering about this, too - but I'm almost positive that he said that just to make people even more convinced that he was the 'real' Madara, not because he was referring to his (Obito's) own former power.
    Last edited by chibistar6; September 13, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "im a shell of my former self" was it a lie or a kishi's burtal story change ?

Quote Originally Posted by Minishin View Post
    When tobi was still a mysterious, cold, frightening character one of the strongest element of the character was that weird statements about how he is now powerless and a shell of is former self who want to be complete.

The character was intelligent, untouchable yet he was not a powerhouse and seemed fragile.

Dou you think that it was just a trolling lie ? Or that kishi abandonned that part ?

Cause as we see it now he is FAR from a shell of "former obito".He is way stronger than young obito and now we know that this space-time jutsu is just a regular mangekyou personnal skill.He can spam it without any chakra issues, he can regenerate, he can use powerfull katon jutsus, launche crazy magical weapons from the outter space, summon and control one of the strongest creature we have ever seen (gedo mazo) and controle bijuus.He can probably perform any regular uchiha jutsu at a S-rank level of power.

How is that a "shell" state ? Obito is an "above kage level" ninja and only madara seems stronger than him 1to1 (even sennin kabuto with an army of Edo at disposal was in fear of a direct confrontation with tobi).

He was way more interessant when all he was able to do was warping people around and trolling with powerfull catchphrases waiting for is "real power" to come back.

now it just looks like he was already able to destroy any kage 1on1 since a looooooooooooooong time.

Kishiiiii wwhyyyyyyyyyy
    lol Tobi being "a shell of his former self" means his body(shell) is the same as it was before but inside(his personality and feelings) is nothing like what it was before
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by number12michael View Post
    lol Tobi being "a shell of his former self" means his body(shell) is the same as it was before but inside(his personality and feelings) is nothing like what it was before
    exactly
    this was a child that lost his"life"basically...he just didn't give a shit after rin died.not hard to imagine that he was left cold and solitary after this(him being a shell).
    who's to say now...that he didn't reject madara's views until this moment?

madara said : see i told ya...they would let her die like anyone else...

obito : you were right...this is the only way....
    Last edited by gnut; September 13, 2012 at 07:03 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

But even Itachi said that Madara was a "shell of his former self" and it was time to surpass him. So whatever these words mean, it has nothing to do with Obito.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fox666 View Post
    But even Itachi said that Madara was a "shell of his former self" and it was time to surpass him. So whatever these words mean, it has nothing to do with Obito.
    Itachi believed Obito was Madara, and no matter how haxed Obito is, he isn't even comparable to Madara.

Still let's not jump to conclusions, while I admit I am one of the most vocal guys about how Kishi seems to suck lately, Madara and Obito's backstory is being explained in the following chapters.
    Let's give Kishi the benefit of doubt

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Itachi believed Obito was Madara, and no matter how haxed Obito is, he isn't even comparable to Madara
    long haired madara who met itachi was probably a zetsu clone...hence why itachi was fooled(chakra,hairstyle,etc...identical).
    real madara was controlling yagura and met kisame...and also there later encounter...i just think kisame was aware that obito was madara's pupil and would one day take on his persona.he just wasn't aware when/where/why...until obito revealled himself...this was the reason for apologies and the comment about kisame was always the closest to him.these two could have grew up together...obito was 14yrs old and kisame was 16...there's a good amount of time before both joined akatsuki(maybe 5/10yrs).so no telling what these guys were doing...
    speaking of which...i've always wondered who was the one to approach nagato/yahiko/konan to establish akatsuki and how was tobi/obito strong enough to influence nagato??

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha_Blood View Post
    Itachi believed Obito was Madara, and no matter how haxed Obito is, he isn't even comparable to Madara.

Still let's not jump to conclusions, while I admit I am one of the most vocal guys about how Kishi seems to suck lately, Madara and Obito's backstory is being explained in the following chapters.
    Let's give Kishi the benefit of doubt
    You're too kind ya know

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shafagh's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

well , Obito is shell of his former self with some Hashirama/zetsu chakra !!! right !?
    خداحافظ

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

People seem to be using this term in different ways.

"A shell of [one's] former self" means that the current state of the person no longer measures up to the previous state of the person. It is a direct comparison denoting one to be inferior to another, not just different.
    Chapter 500 Review <--- My third Naruto chapter review!
    Spoiler show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity jaymizzo's Avatar
    I had a smaller one but i guess i left it at home
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Tobi must have had himself convinced that he was Madara. He even lied to a dying opponent and even said the same to an already dead opponent. Yes, it was just brutal story telling.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jspot View Post
    People seem to be using this term in different ways.

"A shell of [one's] former self" means that the current state of the person no longer measures up to the previous state of the person. It is a direct comparison denoting one to be inferior to another, not just different.
    Because Tobi is indeed a shell of his former self. Obito was soo strong and so valuable to the world... There is nothing for him to be a shell of... Unless a shell he just means his skin and nothing else. But the context it was put in, it was hinting or pointing towards his overall power.
    "Man hands misery onto man" - Philip Larkin

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I said it earlier, but I think that Obito was sincere.

He said that he was a shell of his former self and that he wanted to be complete again.
    I think he might feel incomplete without Rin with him.

That's one way to interpret what he said, anyway...

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    I said it earlier, but I think that Obito was sincere.

He said that he was a shell of his former self and that he wanted to be complete again.
    I think he might feel incomplete without Rin with him.

That's one way to interpret what he said, anyway...
    I'd love it if it were this. Then again, I'm a sucker for those kinds of plot devices.
    Chapter 500 Review <--- My third Naruto chapter review!
    Spoiler show

The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised there is such a discussion about that. Each time Obito said that, he was acting as Madara, and considering Madara's true powers he can indeed say that. That's all.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaymizzo View Post
    Tobi must have had himself convinced that he was Madara. He even lied to a dying opponent and even said the same to an already dead opponent. Yes, it was just brutal story telling.
    It could also be attributed to Kishi deciding on Madara being Tobi, but then changing his mind for some reason understood only to him.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast