Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: At What Age Will You Stop Reading Manga?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

At What Age Will You Stop Reading Manga?

my sister shout this question every time she caught me reading manga..let me now your opinions

for me, I can't and won't stop reading manga!!

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: At What Age Will You Stop Reading Manga?

I dont think I could see an age to stop reading manga. It would be like suggesting an age to stop reading books. I thought I would potentially outgrow the young adult novels and what not, but well even now starting mid 20 or so I still read those books as I guess their fun. I dont think Id stop manga either, even this long after high school I guess I still enjoy reading all these series on high school clubs and what not, its just fun to sit back and think of those days or even just imagine myself for a few moments in these series thinking back to simpler and funner times, plus its like a fantasy since manga school is > IRL high school, would have been fun.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same opinion as Shark, there is no age to stop by reading mangas. There are mangas for all ages and even that which is for teenagers or yound adults, in theory, is still funny to read after those ages. In reality, there is a nonsense preconception regarding mangas, since they are like any other book and give the same entertainment.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga covers a broad range so even if something doesn't appeal to someone now, they could enjoy it a few years later.

I don't think I would ever stop reading manga, but I'm pretty sure that I'll read less than I'm reading now (and it's not a lot to begin with either). One of the places I would love to work is Japan so if I were to move there, my reading list will be cut down because I intend to read a series solely through a magazine or a tankobon. Since they cost money, I'll only pick the manga I'm really passionate about.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on when One Piece will end

7. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any particular goal of "when I would stop reading manga" in mind, considering I don't think that Manga only caters to specific age range. Like what have been said by the others, Manga is akin to a book, you can pick it up anytime and if you still enjoy it, it doesn't matter what your age is. I know a relative of mine who has been enjoying Manga for around 20 years - he's in his 40s now. And nope, he's not like super geeky or anything.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Manga covers a broad range so even if something doesn't appeal to someone now, they could enjoy it a few years later.

I don't think I would ever stop reading manga, but I'm pretty sure that I'll read less than I'm reading now (and it's not a lot to begin with either). One of the places I would love to work is Japan so if I were to move there, my reading list will be cut down because I intend to read a series solely through a magazine or a tankobon. Since they cost money, I'll only pick the manga I'm really passionate about.
    Oh yeah I could see that, maybe Id change or embrace a few more genres as time goes on instead of staying focused in my particular taste and storylines at this point in time. I dont think Ill ever read ecchi series and what not even as time goes on, though maybe I might finally move on to look into more josei and senien targeted series.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Oh yeah I could see that, maybe Id change or embrace a few more genres as time goes on instead of staying focused in my particular taste and storylines at this point in time. I dont think Ill ever read ecchi series and what not even as time goes on, though maybe I might finally move on to look into more josei and senien targeted series.
    Our interests change as we grow older so our tastes in manga could change too. A few years ago I wouldn't have imagined that I would be reading several seinen series as I do now.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

It changes with your age, but it changes with "your age in manga" as well. At least with me I began to read simple and famous mangas; even though I still read them I start to read more seinens and more complex stories currently.
    I think your taste doesn't change, it is not the right way to say, your taste and interest grows.

I want to read manga along my entire life if possible.
    Not only until One Piece finish.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

When I die.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TStew's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I'm atypical in that I only started to read manga in my early 30's. And I really only did it to continue on with the story of an anime I really like. I got to say I felt a bit awkward walking up to the counter at the bookstore the first time with manga in hand, but now that I've overcome the initial awkwardness of it, I hope to expand to some more series which is one of the reasons for coming here. I'm not too familiar with all the terminology, or classifications, but I do find myself more into the more serious animes/mangas not so much with all the ones that are made for younger audiences where all the main cast are all high school kids if you know what I mean (though there are still plenty of those I did enjoy).
    T~Stew

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll stop reading manga as soon as I can no longer find manga that interests me. Simple as that.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    I'll stop reading manga as soon as I can no longer find manga that interests me. Simple as that.
    That's the problem. There are infinite mangas, we don't know evem 1/10 of all them. There is always something which will interest someone, somewhere.

New Reply