Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast

Thread: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! (Use Spoilers for safety...)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ZonikStrike's Avatar
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

You know, I've actually started to enjoy how Departure doesn't fit YS. It feels like some sarcasm: "Lol, there's slaughter and death everywhere, it's so funny". This contrast feels very Hunter-like and I love it. Plus the ending makes up for it.
    Tho I still think Departure would be too much for Chimera Ants. I'm already starting to imagine the last sequence changed to Gon running towards Pitou... Or Kaito... >.<

Departure is a nice song imo. Toriko OP song may be better, but the sequence is somewhat misplaced imo.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it the song itself (as in the lyrics) or the arrangement? Because I could go for the Galneryus version of Departure (like above) for the series and not have any beef with it.

Though I'll quote the above. I do agree with the majority of what you said. But I think what you're talking about regarding YYH and Smile Bomb is something reminiscent of 90's anime.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member heron bpv's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

^I can see your point, really, even though I'm on the opposite side of this case (meaning, I like departure). They could have changed more the lyrics to appeal to the current plot, or go and do a remix with a different melody/beat/whatever (like one of these AST's I see for some game soundtracks), but to me it delivers the way it is.
    Also, Yuyu opening is so epic, comparing it with any other is unfair
    On the latest episode, watched it today. I agree with the people who said it's a good transition episode, and I liked where it ended (which may be an indication that next episode will focus on Hisoka's attitude; a must for the Hiso-Hiso fans and a brilliant exposition of his character to me, though I hate the bastard). Overrall, the same as always to me :]

@Off-topic:
    The video posted by ContractHunter up there shows an image from the anime Souten no Ken, a prequel for the also epic Hokuto no Ken. The manga is on his final volume translation and I would like to use the opportunity to recommend people to give the manga a try. It's really epic and deserve a mention!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

On the subject of Smile Bomb vs Departure, one thing is that, even though Smile Bomb is an upbeat song, it also a bit melancholic, unlike Departure, which is just pure jubilance and enthusiasm. The "story" presented in the lyrics of Smile Bomb, while having a happy ending, talks about loneliness and confusion, with happiness only being presented as a reward for striving and working to attain it. The song is positive and upbeat, but it isn't happy so much as it is optimistic.

Also, in terms of its arrangement, the song is much more casual. When I listen to Departure (ignoring any subjective thoughts about the quality of the composition) I think of going on a huge, wild, magical and crazy adventure. Smile Bomb, with its arena pop-jazz vibe, makes me think of having a night on the town with my friends - something much more down to Earth.

Thus, while both Departure and Smile Bomb sit in contrast to the darker arcs of the show, the feeling created by that contrast is different. With Departure, its a "what the heck, I thought this was supposed to be a fun, light-hearted adventure?" kind of contrast. With Smile Bomb and Yu Yu Hakusho, however, the contrast creates a feeling of yearning for times when things were simpler, when the world wasn't in danger, and we could just chill and hang with our friends. Listening to Smile Bomb as the opening to one of the later Dark Tournament arc or Sensui arc episodes creates a feeling of "I want to win, because I don't want to lose this." Because, while the characters are fighting to save the world, on a personal level they are simply fighting to save their loved ones, so that they can return back to them and experience those same types of moments again - this is especially true during the last arc, as Yusuke's whole purpose for going to the Demon world and fighting was so that he could be done with everything, and live a simple life with Keiko and his friends. Even though Kurama didn't decide to live wholly in the human world until the very end, one could argue that he had the same motivation for going back as Yusuke - to tie up loose ends so that he can live a simpler life.

Also, I did like Departure, as an opening (not as a song) at first, because I thought the pairing of it and the first ED was great - the two contrasted each other so well, together they fit the show perfectly. I honestly didn't like the 2nd ED at first because it destroyed that balance created by the first ED between the OP and ED, though I later came to love it in and of itself, and am honestly very sad to see it go, as I love hearing the opening riff of it, adding an exclamation point to the final moments of the episode.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Madhouse should have used the Galneryus version of Departure (not the Engrish version), and to be honest I wouldn't have minded it being used for the whole series lol.

Well anyways piece! I'm off to go play Halo 4

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Netero View Post
    Madhouse should have used the Galneryus version of Departure (not the Engrish version), and to be honest I wouldn't have minded it being used for the whole series lol.

Well anyways piece! I'm off to go play Halo 4
    SO BEASTLY! I hope they swap to this one for Greed Island!!!

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member leokiko's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: How are they going to animate the CA arc? That arc is full of narration, kinda like an LN.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
    Question: How are they going to animate the CA arc? That arc is full of narration, kinda like an LN.
    I was thinking the same thing.... Well it doesn't REALLY happen until the invasion. My guess is, they're going to narrate at the beginning and have a clock on the bottom right hand or something ? Because most of the narration was there because multiple things were happening simultaneously.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member leokiko's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GingFuriksu View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.... Well it doesn't REALLY happen until the invasion. My guess is, they're going to narrate at the beginning and have a clock on the bottom right hand or something ? Because most of the narration was there because multiple things were happening simultaneously.
    Every fight is full of narration, even before the invasion - it's what makes the fights better imo, but it will feel jarring on the anime, they will need lot of creativity if they decide to animate CA.

Specially on the invasion...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ContractHunterMEMO's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not exactly sure why, but I always read the narration as if Killua himself was describing the events in the third person as a flashback; a distant memory that is being told from some point in the future (which by the way would make a timeskip more credible). Whether it be a bad idea or not, this is where Madhouse's creative team has to step in order to deliver an arc that has never been animated before.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the lyrics of Departure truly fit Hunter x Hunter perfectly. It especially fits Gon's character. I feel it is a song about failure but one that is hopeful about eventually becoming strong enough to overcome it. Its a very fitting song and one that I love. It is a classic in my opinion, I sing along with it every week. It's a song that fills me with hope. I don't think HxH should have a 'dark' OP, but it should have a 'dark' ED much like how Just Awake and Hunting For Your Dream provided a start contrast to Departure. It fits with the message of HxH that you shouldnt judge a book by its cover, in the case of the manga it is often literal, look at volume 12 cover for example lol. Deaprture fits perfectly and should never change to a different song, slightly alter Departure though would be acceptable.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ZonikStrike's Avatar
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the next episode will clear things up a bit.
    It has a pretty long explanation done by the Narrator. The last time it was changed to Hisoka-Machi dialogue. But now I hardly see any ways out.

Btw, talking about the Invasion; as I was rereading it recently... Omg the pages are short. If usually a page has 4-5 frames, it had 1-2 average during the invasion. The chapters are also short (~15 pg). Considering that, do you think MH will animate the invasion with a 5-6ch/ep pace (about 11 episodes in total)? And would you like it?
    The rest of Chimera Ants is more informative, but I think with the chapters being ~15 each pages and with many of battles/action going on it a 3ch/ep would be great. That would be about 26 episodes, which sums up to 37 total for Ant Arc. Do you think it'll be too rushed? Or maybe even too slow?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Prince Baka will appear and do the narration.

20. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    I thought it was pretty good for a fan version. Obviously the actual English version will be of much better quality and not done by a teenager haha
    Agreed. For a fan version. it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by ZonikStrike View Post
    You know, I've actually started to enjoy how Departure doesn't fit YS. It feels like some sarcasm: "Lol, there's slaughter and death everywhere, it's so funny". This contrast feels very Hunter-like and I love it. Plus the ending makes up for it.
    Tho I still think Departure would be too much for Chimera Ants. I'm already starting to imagine the last sequence changed to Gon running towards Pitou... Or Kaito... >.<
    This.

I think the theme of Departure fits all of the arcs until Greed Island, except Yorkshin. It fits the Exam arc, Heaven's Arena, and Greed Island, but not Yorkshin. It's more like Yorkshin is that one arc that doesn't fit with the song, rather than the song not fitting the arc.

Thinking about it some more, I'm starting to like how ironic the upbeat adventure song is compared to the content of YS arc. HxH works in a similar way. Everything's so bright and happy; you can really feel the start of a great adventure. When I read the manga, I honestly didn't expect it to have its fair share of brutal moments. It's kinda deceptively happy and free-spirited... only at the same time, it's really not that deceptive because it really is about the hunt and the adventure. It just so happens that there are also massacres thrown in too.

Lol, it's like those discussions way way back about how some people were complaining the lack of dark atmosphere, or that the colors are too bright and everyone looks kiddy. And then some people said that that was the point - you're supposed to be lured in thinking it's just another lighthearted adventure, when it's actually more than that. I guess you could see Departure working like that, in a way. I think it's an interesting way of looking at it.

Hm... I do wonder about that. Seems like the Ant arc will be a trickier arc to pull off compared to Yorkshin, what with all the pacing and narration MH has to work around. But at least they don't have to worry about comparisons with another adaptation.

I wonder how they'll do the palace invasion. Maybe they can do things DRRR!!-style, where there's one character at the focus of every episode, and then have part of the narration be told through the characters (like some introspective monologue or whatever). Welp, it's still far away though so there's still time for the creative team to come up with something.
    Last edited by Cinnabar; November 07, 2012 at 12:42 PM.

22. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Hm... I do wonder about that. Seems like the Ant arc will be a trickier arc to pull off compared to Yorkshin, what with all the pacing and narration MH has to work around. But at least they don't have to worry about comparisons with another adaptation.
    Even without a direct comparison to another adaptation, there are still going to be people who will sit there and think "Oh, Nippon would've done this better, blah blah blah". At that point, I don't even know why people would watch it anymore if they hate it so much.

24. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast