Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: Would you like fillers if there is no manga updates?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 34.62%
  • No

11 42.31%
  • Undecided - Depends - Mandatory Third Option

6 23.08%
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Madhouse fillers?

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Madhouse fillers?

Simple question. Lets say that Madhouse gets to the end of the election arc, and either Togashi is just coming out of hiatus and there isn't enough material to continue animating whatever arc he's working on, or he hasn't come out of hiatus at that point. If you were in charge of the HXH anime committee, would you 1) Axe the series there and go the same route Nippon Animation did with OVA's every so often? or 2) Get the writing staff together and do filler arcs? We can assume that you could call up Togashi to get his opinion on what he would and wouldn't want to happen, and that at least he'd do an arc a year or something (Sorta like the election arc.) I guess it comes down to do you think the HXH anime should continue with filler arcs (or an arc?) Or simply conclude after chapter 339?

I'm kind of split on this. The movie was technically written by Togashi, so we can't say that MH's success was their own in that regard, and little additions to the manga scenario during the TV run have been hit or miss. Though if the anime does end, we'll be back to having no HXH at all. That's not the end of the world but it is a little sad. I guess if I were in charge I'd probably go with ending the series, but I want to hear your opinions.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Koukushi Musou!! (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-D-Rufi-Thread
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com

Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Madhouse fillers?

I don't see Togashi letting other people touch HXH without his input so ending the series would be the only option.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I don't see Togashi letting other people touch HXH without his input so ending the series would be the only option.
    I did say that keeping in contact with him would be an option. I'm not talking about the manga, but the anime.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)

Requests Closed.

Read my writing here!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    I did say that keeping in contact with him would be an option. I'm not talking about the manga, but the anime.
    I know but I don't think he's the kind of guy that'd just let people continue writing about how Gon killed Killua in an epic battle of nonsense, and if he's going to have input that'd imply he actually has time to be doing HXH in the first place, unless his input is like, 'you guys could do a background story about Zodiacs'.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know but I don't think he's the kind of guy that'd just let people continue writing about how Gon killed Killua in an epic battle of nonsense, and if he's going to have input that'd imply he actually has time to be doing HXH in the first place, unless his input is like, 'you guys could do a background story about Zodiacs'.
    Yeah, something like that. I don't expect him to write out a soliloquy between Gon and Killua, or script another movie all by himself. Something like 'Oh, yeah I guess you guys could explore the Zodiacs or even the Zolylics for a bit or something', could be something. It'd be more like fact checking then actually writing out scenarios. Most fillers end up sorta closing themselves up to make room for cannon anyway.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)

Requests Closed.

Read my writing here!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Togashi didn't stop Nippon from adding filler to their adaptation. Of course, we all know how that serie's anime-only content turned out. Foxbears started using nen, Killua started having angst, and most of the less objectable padding was rather forgetable, such as Gon meeting Leorio before boarding the ship to the Hunter Exam. While Madhouse seems to have a better grasp of the souce material, I still would want Togashi to give them feedback with any filler.

Unless Togashi begins churning out manga chapters soon, I don't see how Madhouse could continue with avoiding filler. Taking breaks with the anime obviously wasn't a sucess with the last series, and I'd rather have filler than see the HxH anime lose the momentum it has been building over the past several months.

Some possible ideas for filler I came up with on the fly:

1. Filler arc showing how Kurapika gathered the Kurta eyes we see him with in ch. 339.

2. Flashback arc of Killua's assasin training and early missions? This might be hard to fit into the flow of the story, but it could be neat seeing Killua working as a full-fledge Zoldyck assasin.

3. Flashback arc of Ging and Kite's past adventures, (giving us a chance to see Ging with his badass motorcycle)

Not all of these ideas are exactly great, but I think you can all see where I'm coming from. Overall, I'd rather have mini-filler arcs exploring differant parts of the HxH world, than snippets of filler interspersed within the main storyline. This, I belive, would be better for the pace of the plot and keep the canon consistant.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe if Madhouse didn't rush/skip shit we wouldn't have this problem. I don't understand how that makes any sense... you adapt a manga that goes on hiatus for months, even years, and you're going to make it a fast paced anime... LOL!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kamen Rider Dragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Togashi really wouldn't have a say whether or not they continue. Madhouse probably only uses him as a consultant because they own the rights to the anime. But I can see them stopping at the current chapter. It leaves off at a pretty good point.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Riruru's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

What about a spinoff series? Would give HxH fans something to watch until the anime continues.

I think Madhouse can be trusted with doing a filler arc or two. Especially since they seem to have a pretty nice grasp on Togashi's characters and can make them react believably to whatever plot thrown at them. Which is good. To me, characters are the most important during filler arcs. But HxH would be a much bigger challenge than other shows like One Piece where they can just have Luffy land on an anime-only island. Speaking of One Piece, I remember everyone loving the G-8 even though it was the longest filler arc they'd ever gotten. If we get some quality faithful writing like that I'd be really happy.

Then again "a filler arc or two" can only last a year at most. And this show has much too high of a production value to start doing one chapter/per episode. If Togashi doesn't start writing some more the anime would just end up back where it started and would have to end anyway.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't "pausing" the anime an option? Like, continuing it after there's enough material instead of going OVA route? Sure, it would probably hit the ratings, but it probably wouldn't be bad enough to make it not desirable to go on.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Salce's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GingFuriksu View Post
    Or maybe if Madhouse didn't rush/skip shit we wouldn't have this problem. I don't understand how that makes any sense... you adapt a manga that goes on hiatus for months, even years, and you're going to make it a fast paced anime... LOL!
    Probably they think... "Why would be drag the anime, if we will reach the manga anyway?"

With Togashi's hiatus, there is no way the anime doesn't reach the manga sooner or later, so Madhouse probably decided to end it after Chairman Election Arc.

That's why they don't have any problem with rushing when they believe it's necessary.
    Last edited by Salce; January 24, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegamanX195 View Post
    Isn't "pausing" the anime an option? Like, continuing it after there's enough material instead of going OVA route? Sure, it would probably hit the ratings, but it probably wouldn't be bad enough to make it not desirable to go on.
    That would be the ideal solution in my opinion. Just take a look at Gintama and how the anime ran for 4 years then took a break to let some material build up before resuming and it's popularity hasn't gone down at all.

If I were Madhouse I would finish the Election Arc then end the anime since that's a nice cut off regardless of the fact there isn't new material. Then years down the line once Madhouse knows HxH is almost finished they can start the anime back up and finish it around the same time as the manga ( a la FMA: Brotherhood )

Quote Originally Posted by GingFuriksu View Post
    I disagree with this statement >.> First of all, an anime shouldn't be affected/held back by it's other mediums. It should be as best as it can be for a television show and stand on it's own. The manga isn't perfect and not everything would translate smoothly over. I don't want to watch 1 chapter per episode akin to how Toei does One Piece(though that's a whole separate can of worms for another day). Another example is Death Note which the anime I like better personally than the manga because Madhouse wasn't afraid to cut parts which dragged in the manga or wouldn't have transitioned well onto the small screen
    Last edited by HybridBloodsZak; January 24, 2013 at 09:44 PM.

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
    That would be the ideal solution in my opinion. Just take a look at Gintama and how the anime ran for 4 years then took a break to let some material build up before resuming and it's popularity hasn't gone down at all.

If I were Madhouse I would finish the Election Arc then end the anime since that's a nice cut off regardless of the fact there isn't new material. Then years down the line once Madhouse knows HxH is almost finished they can start the anime back up and finish it around the same time as the manga ( a la FMA: Brotherhood )

I disagree with this statement >.> First of all, an anime shouldn't be affected/held back by it's other mediums. It should be as best as it can be for a television show and stand on it's own. The manga isn't perfect and not everything would translate smoothly over. I don't want to watch 1 chapter per episode akin to how Toei does One Piece(though that's a whole separate can of worms for another day). Another example is Death Note which the anime I like better personally than the manga because Madhouse wasn't afraid to cut parts which dragged in the manga or wouldn't have transitioned well onto the small screen
    Well as of now I personally hate the cuts. And I don't want to watch 1 chapter per episode akin to how Toei does One Piece - I wouldn't say one chapter, maybe 2 or 3. Currently, isn't like one episode 4-5 chapters!? >.>

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Rica_Patin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A comedy spinoff series with the art style of the Hunterpedia segments could be amusing to watch if they were to end the series at the Election arc and start up a continuation series later on.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Although Togashi presumably don't own the rights to the Anime it'd be hard to imagine anything related to HXH being successful if he disapproves it. I suppose you can just count on Togashi being too lazy to care, but I assume he obviously sees HXH with a certain degree of pride and wants it go in a certain direction. HXH is not something that can be easily extrapolated. If you tell me to come up with 200 side stories for One Piece you can plug things in this template like:

Luffy meets a guy with some fruit power on some island, they fight for some time and Luffy won. Some guy may have died in a flashback.

While the actual content of the said filler might be pretty forgettable no one will find such filler to be out of place in One Piece since this is literally what they do in the entire series anyway. HXH is very difficult to ad lib like this unless you go off to such a far tangent like 'Miluki gives a tutorial on how to play video games' but then it's obviously not related to the main plot in anyway. You could have something like Star Wars' Mara Jade whose love interest changes depending on who was currently writing the story, and that's just not going to go well in HXH. As far as I know HXH isn't even that popular as Anime, so why would someone want to attempt to make their own filler knowing that the fans usually don't like it anyway on something that's very hard to emulate?

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast