Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 2003

Thread: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! (Use Spoilers for safety...)

  1. #181
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ZonikStrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    Lithuania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mousiehamster View Post
    Guys, it's pretty simple. Baldy was inserted into the scene at that particular moment because the Director wanted to compact the episode and didn't have the imagination to put him where it would make sense.

    Was Baldy on shopkeeper's side? Hard to say since nothing he said disputed the idea that the shopkeeper was trying to scam the kids (in fact, he implicitly reinforced the notion). I just took Baldy as some nonsensical contrarian that simply enjoys arguing.

    Of course this sort of missed the entire purpose of the chapter in the manga, which was to demonstrate the various intricacies and pitfalls, and the thought and maneuvering needed for people who specialize in this particular industry.

    I can't say it bothered me too much though. This episode sucked in the way described above but 1999 had god awful drawing in the corresponding ep. 'Least they got the point across though.
    Well, yeah, that's it. We're just trying to agree that this IS a plothole, and we didn't overlook anything.
    MH could just make a guy who likes to argue. And for it to not look strange they could make the shop bigger, like a jeweler-supermarket (lol) with many desks. Baldy could just be waiting for consultation by the nearby desk and just happen to overhear their conversation. Even that would make more sense.
    A comical way out of this situation is letting Baldy to suddenly come in like a customer just after Zepile's sudden entrance. Sth like:

    Zepile (suddenly charging in): -Hey, he is lying!
    Baldy (suddenly charging in): -I wouldn't be so sure!
    Killua: -Why does everyone keep charging in?! Stop interrupting!
    Zepile and Baldy keep arguing while Gon listens carefully.


    Well not that anything could be better than the original version.

    ---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Thats how you interperet the episode. Thats how you think he was acting like. Tonpa had no obvious motive. He crushed rookies because he liked it. Baldy scams people because he scams. This isn't even a debate over anything. You trying to make sense of baldy "educating" Gon as if it's more than that. Zepile won the conversation did he not? If Zepile had lost what would have badly said after to try to convince the little kids? You can't saying anything because it didn't happen...Which means your only looking at one side of it...
    Are you trying to say that the whole point of Baldy arguing was just because he likes arguing? Now doesn't that look strange in this particular situation? He definitely seemed like trying to achieve something. But there's no point in this version as well.
    Last edited by ZonikStrike; September 28, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

  2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  3. #182
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ZonikStrike View Post
    Oh wow. Then he is a really bad one. Not only he didn't make them sell the pot, he even make the things worse by admitting that it may contain treasure.
    With Baldy being so knowledgeable about scams, I don't see im as so stupid. At least not about selling.
    My point is that there is no way for Baldy to prove the pot empty/not genuine as the best way to prove is just check and he should be aware of that.
    Zepile claiming it's Genuine, if he can't prove it's genuine than Baldy's gonna have to upper hand. Scammers have their reasons for doing things.



    Quote Quote:
    Well, I don't think he could bring Gon and Killua onto their side by discrediting Zepile. Zepile's words made them at least doubt it so they would check it anyway. And Baldy knew that. Plus he was admitting that the pot might contain the treasure, which was even more stupid.
    He was never admitting anything. He was bringing up points that show that this has fake gems in it which means it's gonna be completely useless. If Baldy somehow managed to prove that it was fake than he could take over the conversation...Scamming....




    Quote Quote:
    That is exactly what doesn't make a point. How would he make money? Make them sell it? No freaking way that was possible with his speech.
    How would you know?



    Quote Quote:
    It can't be classified as defeating his shop neither. If he was, he'd be trying something more like this:

    Zepile: Hey, he's lying! He's actually after the treasure in the pot!
    Baldy: Bullshit. This is a statue, not a chest. You can try opening it, but I doubt you'll be able sell the broken statue anymore.
    It's better to sound intellegent and make someone look stupid of what their claiming than saying outright lies when you barely even walked in to probe the "statue."

    Quote Quote:
    Not that it is very convincing, but at least he tried.
    Now he was seeing absudrly overconfident:

    Baldy: Treasure? You seem very sure that it wasn't already taken out. Can you prove it is still inside?

    This is what are we talking about. What the hell? Baldy should be aware, that the obvious answer is:

    What's the point? We can just open and see. You said wood is still worth much, so even if it's empty I'm sure you'll be glad to buy it if you weren't after the non-existent treaure.
    There is ultimatums.. your assuming everything is gonna go how you see it...doesn't work like that.

    Quote Quote:
    And that's why it doesn't make sense for Baldy to act that way. Heck, I cannot think of a way for this shop to vindicate themselves at all. And Baldy knows that.



    No it doesn't. His words doesn't help at all in making them sell the item. In fact, they just make it worse.

    Zepile: There's a treasure!
    Baldy: Well, can you prove it wasn't taken out already?
    (Thought of customer: So he admits it probably was there?)
    Can you prove it was taken out? Baldy was saying everything that has evidence of not being an actual authentic treasure.



    Quote Quote:
    Why are you talking about the point of the scene? Yes, we know that. The thing we are asking for is Baldy's aim. He doesn't seem to try helping his shop, and if he was, he was terribly bad at it. For a man with such a knowledge about scams that doesn't sound right.

    And I keep repeating, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey (don't remember if there's such a saying in english). Why don't they just show Gon randomly learning this information from Zepile or even from anywhere else? What also matters is how the info is presented, don't you agree?

    You see, I don't usually complain about the changes, but this one bugged me so much I couldn't ignore it.
    He was referring to ametuears. Zepile isn't and amateur. He's a pro... So he knew how to handle the ordeal. If it was a noob Baldy would have taken hold of the conversation because that what scammers do.

    ---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ZonikStrike View Post
    Are you trying to say that the whole point of Baldy arguing was just because he likes arguing? Now doesn't that look strange in this particular situation? He definitely seemed like trying to achieve something. But there's no point in this version as well.
    He's a scammer. What point don't you understand? Do you not know how scammers do things? It's pretty simple

    ---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ZonikStrike View Post
    ^Well, yeah, that's it. We're just trying to agree that this IS a plothole, and we didn't overlook anything.
    MH could just make a guy who likes to argue. And for it to not look strange they could make the shop bigger, like a jeweler-supermarket (lol) with many desks. Baldy could just be waiting for consultation by the nearby desk and just happen to overhear their conversation. Even that would make more sense.
    A comical way out of this situation is letting Baldy to suddenly come in like a customer just after Zepile's sudden entrance. Sth like:

    Zepile (suddenly charging in): -Hey, he is lying!
    Baldy (suddenly charging in): -I wouldn't be so sure!
    Killua: -Why does everyone keep charging in?! Stop interrupting!
    Zepile and Baldy keep arguing while Gon listens carefully.


    Well not that anything could be better than the original version.
    How is a plot hole? Where is the proof? Baldy not having a motive is a plot hole? But some how Gon's interpretation of the exchange came out to be the same exact how the manga had it. So no it's not a plot hole.

    Quote Quote:
    Well not that anything could be better than the original version.
    Yeah of course nothing is better than the manga.

  4. #183
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ContractHunterMEMO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    Mexico
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    All of these arguments over a character who isn't significant enough to have his own name.

  5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 7 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #184
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    The whole reason why i responded to this petty argument was because you guys were saying...Why didn't Gon and Killua just end the conversation?....
    I said because Gon was interested in it......Than i also pointed out the Ben's knife situation...Now all of a sudden Baldy's motive is what matters now...not the entire episode....Interpret Baldy's demeanor however you want Gon LEARNED from it and THATS it.
    Last edited by Noonealive; September 28, 2012 at 01:32 PM.

  7. #185
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ZonikStrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    Lithuania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Zepile claiming it's Genuine, if he can't prove it's genuine than Baldy's gonna have to upper hand. Scammers have their reasons for doing things.
    How is he going to have upper hand? Zepile is claiming there's treasure inside, Baldy is saying that it can't be proven. The obvious answer is on the top: just check it, what's the problem! Regardless of the dispute outcome, Baldy should be aware that he would win nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    He was never admitting anything. He was bringing up points that show that this has fake gems in it which means it's gonna be completely useless. If Baldy somehow managed to prove that it was fake than he could take over the conversation...Scamming....
    I've just rewatched the scene.
    Zepile says that if the trove is genuin, there must be treasure inside. Baldy doesn't even say that there's definitely no treasure, he just asks him to prove it is genuine. WHAT IS THE POINT? When the easiest proof is just opening. Baldy's words couldn't make ANY customer more willing to sell the statue. It would make them to think about Zepile's words: "If he admits that the genuine one might contain treasure, then I should check..." For Baldy to make them sell it he must have convinced them that the treasure inside is complete bullshit and there's nothing like that at all. He never tried to achieve something like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    How would you know?
    What I mean is that his speech would have no effect even on some common 12y.o.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    It's better to sound intellegent and make someone look stupid of what their claiming than saying outright lies when you barely even walked in to probe the "statue."
    The point is not in sounding intelligent, it is to make the customer think that he couldn't sell the vase for more than they can offer. When he was admitting that those troves, if genuine, might contain the treasure, he lost the battle before it even begun. Anyone would instantly doubt this place even further than they would with just some random stranger coming in and accusing the seller.


    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    There is ultimatums.. your assuming everything is gonna go how you see it...doesn't work like that.
    Well, maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. Read above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Can you prove it was taken out? Baldy was saying everything that has evidence of not being an actual authentic treasure.
    His "Even if the trove is genuine, it might be empty already" makes NO SENSE. How do we prove it? Just open it and see, damn it. Not that it's worth anything either way. AND BALDY KNOWS EVERY SINGLE BIT OF THAT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    He was referring to ametuears. Zepile isn't and amateur. He's a pro... So he knew how to handle the ordeal. If it was a noob Baldy would have taken hold of the conversation because that what scammers do.
    Zepile didn't even have to prove himself right. Even if it was a false accusation, it would still make ANY CUSTOMER doubt the shop. And no sweet speaches could change that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    He's a scammer. What point don't you understand? Do you not know how scammers do things? It's pretty simple
    Well scammers do try to scam people out of money/jewellery/whatever, right? They don't just have fun arguing over a dead topic, do they?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    How is a plot hole? Where is the proof? Baldy not having a motive is a plot hole? But some how Gon's interpretation of the exchange came out to be the same exact how the manga had it. So no it's not a plot hole.
    I don't even know how to say it anymore. We don't need Baldy's past as of why did he become a scammer etc. We need to know what was he trying to achieve with this conversation. Because nothing he said made any sense assuming that he wanted to make the customers sell the statue.

    ---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    The whole reason why i responded to this petty argument was because you guys were saying...Why didn't Gon and Killua just end the conversation?....
    I said because Gon was interested in it......Than i also pointed out the Ben's knife situation...Now all of a sudden Baldy's motive is what matters now...not the entire episode....Interpret Baldy's demeanor however you want Gon LEARNED from it and THATS it.
    No we didn't. We said that THIS would be any common customer's response, and it would be a response anyone (all the more so Baldy) would be expecting. But somewhy he wasn't.
    And I'll repeat myself. If Gon learned this information from a random stranger with a random scene, would you be happy? He would still learn it. What matters isn't only WHAT, it's also HOW.
    Last edited by ZonikStrike; September 28, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

  8. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #186
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ZonikStrike View Post
    How is he going to have upper hand? Zepile is claiming there's treasure inside, Baldy is saying that it can't be proven. The obvious answer is on the top: just check it, what's the problem! Regardless of the dispute outcome, Baldy should be aware that he would win nothing.
    Scammers don't think like that. They do whatever they can to get what they want...Even i you think it's a 99% chance he'll fail.
    I've just rewatched the scene.
    ]Zepile says that if the trove is genuin, there must be treasure inside. Baldy doesn't even say that there's definitely no treasure, he just asks him to prove it is genuine. WHAT IS THE POINT? When the easiest proof is just opening. Baldy's words couldn't make ANY customer more willing to sell the statue. It would make them question Zepile's words: "If he admits, that the genuine one might contain treasure, then I should check..." For Baldy to make them sell it he must have convinced them that the treasure inside is complete bullshit and there's nothing like that at all. He never tried to achieve something like that.
    To make him look stupid. You have to make someone seem unintelligent to even make people think your right. Scammers are sneaky creatures.


    Quote Quote:
    What I mean is that his speech would have no effect even on some common 12y.o.


    The point is not in sounding intelligent, it is to make the customer think that he couldn't sell the vase for more than they can offer. When he was admitting that those troves, if genuine, might contain the treasure, he lost the battle before it even begun. Anyone would instantly doubt this place even further than they would with just some random stranger coming in and accusing the seller.
    Doesn't matter. Nothing is done once the owner of the item thinks it is...Stong opinions and a bit of doubt in someone would surely make them think twice even if you know your right.



    Quote Quote:
    Well, maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. Read above.


    His "Even if the trove is genuine, it might be empty already" makes NO SENSE. How do we prove it? Just open it and see, damn it. Not that it's worth anything either way. AND BALDY KNOWS EVERY SINGLE BIT OF THAT.


    Zepile didn't even have to prove himself right. Even if it was a false accusation, it would still make ANY CUSTOMER doubt the shop. And no sweet speaches could change that.


    Well scammers do try to scam people out of money/jewellery/whatever, right? They don't just have fun arguing over a dead topic, do they?


    I don't even know how to say it anymore. We don't need Baldy's past as of why did he become a scammer etc. We need to know what was he trying to achieve with this conversation. Because nothing he said made any sense assuming that he wanted to make the customers sell the statue.
    Scammers do anything they want to get what they want. Doesn't matter if they're at a disadvantage...All you have to do is plant seeds in people and people's opinons will change.

    Doesn't matter at the end because GON was INTERESTED in the CONVERSATION.... Baldy's demeanor does not matter because Gon WANTED to hear their petty and "pointless" exchange.....Non of what your trying to say deters from Gon's INTEREST in the conversation.

    ---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ZonikStrike View Post
    SIZE=1]No we didn't. We said that THIS would be any common customer's response, and it would be a response anyone (all the more so Baldy) would be expecting. But somewhy he wasn't.
    And I'll repeat myself. If Gon learned this information from a random stranger with a random scene, would you be happy? He would still learn it. What matters isn't only WHAT, it's also HOW.
    Thats the whole point of the conversation. Zepile even metioned it during his little aprasial scene of Gon.....GON didn't give a SHIT about Baldy and his RANDOMNESS.

  10. #187
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ZonikStrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    Lithuania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    To make him look stupid. You have to make someone seem unintelligent to even make people think your right. Scammers are sneaky creatures.
    Were you reading my post at all?
    Okay, now.

    Zepile: Actually, there's treasure inside this trove.
    Baldy: Well, are you sure it is genuine?
    Zepile: Um... Eh... No, I'm not. Sorry to interrupt.


    So what would be the common customer's reaction? Would he sell the trove, after hearing the stranger accusing the seller and the defending side admitting that the genuine trove might contain the treasure? The answer is NO WAY IN HELL, even a 12yo would have decided to think things through. Wasn't Baldy expecting that?
    To make the things worth, he kept admitting Zepile's accusions looking so freaking confident that it seemed stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Doesn't matter. Nothing is done once the owner of the item thinks it is...Stong opinions and a bit of doubt in someone would surely make them think twice even if you know your right.
    Sorry, english isn't my native language so some of your sentences might seem pretty fancy and hard to understand for me. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    So... Nothing is done, really? You think they could force the owner sell his goods even if he decided not to? Then why all the ruckus?
    Of course it would make them think twice. But look. You can trust the random stranger and check for treasure, or you can sell the statue which possibly (maybe the possibility is small but still) contains the treasure, which was admitted by both sides. Would any single man in this world decide to sell it!? At the very least, they'd think twice, investigate more about this cause etc. But definitely not selling. I'm tired of writing this but, as these things are obvious, Baldy should definitely be aware that his speech couldn't make anyone change his mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Scammers do anything they want to get what they want. Doesn't matter if they're at a disadvantage...All you have to do is plant seeds in people and people's opinons will change.
    Did Baldy seriously expect that his exchange:
    -There's a treasure inside!
    -Can you prove it?
    Could change customers' opinions not to sell it? Heck no, by asking for proving when he was the one needing proof in the first place, he would only make customers doubt him just more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Doesn't matter at the end because GON was INTERESTED in the CONVERSATION.... Baldy's demeanor does not matter because Gon WANTED to hear their petty and "pointless" exchange.....Non of what your trying to say deters from Gon's INTEREST in the conversation.
    I'm sick of this argument of yours. Don't you yourself see that this is stupid and has no importance in our current discussion?
    Okay now. Let's assume Zepile just randomly started arguing with a passer-by about the contents of the trove and make Gon interested in their discussion. Would this still be okay for you? We still would get the message and Gon would still be interested as well as getting the crucial information. I'm not saying that the exchange was pointless plotwise, heck it really is important, but the change of Madhouse's makes no sense because BALDY has nothing to gain in this exchange he himself started.

    I hope I made myself clear now.

    ---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Thats the whole point of the conversation. Zepile even metioned it during his little aprasial scene of Gon.....GON didn't give a SHIT about Baldy and his RANDOMNESS.
    Now that is... weird.
    Gon didn't give a shit about good or evil, not about random or reasonable. O.o

  11. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #188
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ContractHunterMEMO View Post
    All of these arguments over a character who isn't significant enough to have his own name.
    And your point is...?

    It's not like there's much else to talk about anyways until the new episode is out.

    Besides isn't in a way kinda of the POINT of forum---you know to DISCUSS the episode.
    Discussing the episode would include criticisms and debate as well praise and postulation.

    I actually find it credible to the franchise that we find it actually WORTH spending so much time over "trivial" matters.

    ---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Thats how you interperet the episode. Thats how you think he was acting like. Tonpa had no obvious motive. He crushed rookies because he liked it. Baldy scams people because he scams. This isn't even a debate over anything. You trying to make sense of baldy "educating" Gon as if it's more than that. Zepile won the conversation did he not? If Zepile had lost what would have badly said after to try to convince the little kids? You can't saying anything because it didn't happen...Which means your only looking at one side of it...
    Tonpa DID have a motive for crushing rookies---getting a kick out of seeing their hopes and dreams crushed. Tonpa is a bully.

    Baldy on the other hand I don't think is as much of a bully. He seems more competitive than Tonpa was.

    So you think Baldy was trying to teach Gon something? Or do you think he was trying to scam Gon? Because those are two very different things.

    That last part doesn't make any sense. Saying that's what happened so there's no other possibility is what looking at one side of it would be.
    If you're gonna look at it from all sides you have to consider the possibilities. Of course we can't know what would happen for sure but
    if a character is written well enough and one has understanding of the character then we should be able to somewhat figure out
    what characters would do or even not do in almost any given situation. If a character can only exist within certain parameters then
    that character is one dimensional.

    ---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ZonikStrike View Post
    Well, yeah, that's it. We're just trying to agree that this IS a plothole, and we didn't overlook anything.
    MH could just make a guy who likes to argue. And for it to not look strange they could make the shop bigger, like a jeweler-supermarket (lol) with many desks. Baldy could just be waiting for consultation by the nearby desk and just happen to overhear their conversation. Even that would make more sense.
    A comical way out of this situation is letting Baldy to suddenly come in like a customer just after Zepile's sudden entrance. Sth like:

    Zepile (suddenly charging in): -Hey, he is lying!
    Baldy (suddenly charging in): -I wouldn't be so sure!
    Killua: -Why does everyone keep charging in?! Stop interrupting!
    Zepile and Baldy keep arguing while Gon listens carefully.


    Well not that anything could be better than the original version.

    ---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------



    Are you trying to say that the whole point of Baldy arguing was just because he likes arguing? Now doesn't that look strange in this particular situation? He definitely seemed like trying to achieve something. But there's no point in this version as well.

    Actually I was the one who made the suggestion that Baldy is a competitive spirit and enjoys the sport of scamming rather than the actual benefits of it.

  13. #189
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ContractHunterMEMO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    Mexico
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    ^Never said it was pointless to discuss about anything. Just pointing out that looking at it from the big picture, this debate centered around a character that appears in a couple of scenes in the episode, a few panels in the manga, and has no official name. Of course there's more to it than that, just thought it was silly to the point of this being discussed more than other episodes that I can remember, or more than it should be. By all means feel free to discuss about anything you want

  14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  15. #190
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ContractHunterMEMO View Post
    ^Never said it was pointless to discuss about anything. Just pointing out that looking at it from the big picture, this debate centered around a character that appears in a couple of scenes in the episode, a few panels in the manga, and has no official name. Of course there's more to it than that, just thought it was silly to the point of this being discussed more than other episodes that I can remember, or more than it should be. By all means feel free to discuss about anything you want
    Ok well then sorry I mistook the intent and attitude of your previous comment.

  16. #191
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Australia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Ok well then sorry I mistook the intent and attitude of your previous comment.
    Noone is against you Sticky, we love you bro.

    "If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

  17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  18. #192
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    But you're only looking at one point and then saying the end justifies the means. You're saying because Gon was curious at the end that nullifies everything
    else about the scene. Stories should not be like that. Where's the enjoyment in that? That's like saying who cares HOW Kurapika kills Uvogin as long as he does.

    Finding Baldy's motives will add MUCH to the story. It 1. help it make sense--in several ways
    2. It will make Baldy a more dimensional character 3. and in effect it will make Gon a more dimensional character.

    I say Baldy is testing Zepile. Baldy seemed to be having fun challenging Zepile.
    If we imagine Baldy as a guy who knows a lot about scams--and enjoys the "art" of scamming
    then it would make a lot of sense for him to argue with Zepile.

    as a parallel---Baldy might be like the person who loves to debate but will be the devil's advocate because they love the art of debating.
    No offense but you examining WAY TOO much into Baldy. Even in the manga, Baldy was just a conduit to explore auction scamming techniques, don't compare him to a supporting character like Zepiile who has motivations and desires because they are completely different kinds of characters importance wise. Baldy in the manga and the 2011 anime was just trying to rip off Gon and Killua when it came to the items they were selling. Exploring Baldy's motives would have had NO effect on the story and saying it would have added dimensions to Gon and Killua is ridiculous because it is irrelevant looking at what the arc is about. Yes there needs to be world building, but it needs to be placed where it makes sense

    This arc is about the Phantom Troupe/Kurapika not some scam artist in Yorknew. I think the way Togashi presented Baldy in the manga was fine
    Last edited by HybridBloodsZak; September 28, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

  19. #193
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    Noone is against you Sticky, we love you bro.


    ---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
    No offense but you examining WAY TOO much into Baldy. Even in the manga, Baldy was just a conduit to explore auction scamming techniques, don't compare him to a supporting character like Zepiile who has motivations and desires because they are completely different kinds of characters importance wise. Baldy in the manga and the 2011 anime was just trying to rip off Gon and Killua when it came to the items they were selling. Exploring Baldy's motives would have had NO effect on the story and saying it would have added dimensions to Gon and Killua is ridiculous because it is irrelevant looking at what the arc is about. Yes there needs to be world building, but it needs to be placed where it makes sense

    This arc is about the Phantom Troupe/Kurapika not some scam artist in Yorknew. I think the way Togashi presented Baldy in the manga was fine

    Maybe I am looking too much into this. But it's fun so I don't care. Either way I disagree with pretty much the rest of what you said.
    Yeah, Baldy isn't as important as Zepile but that doesn't mean he doesn't matter. He has to matter SOMEWHAT for Togashi to have
    given practically a whole chapter. I mean not even Pokkle got that much screen time I don't think.

    Baldy is hardly irrelevant to what the arc is about--getting money for Greed Island. Yes, the main focus is on Kurapika and
    him wanting revenge against the Phantom Troupe---but that's not Gon's story. Gon's story is getting Greed Island.
    Gon and Kurapika are in Yorknew for very different reasons. Remember Gon is looking for the Phantom Troupe--TO MAKE MONEY.

    This arc is two fold

    Kurapika=GETTING REVENGE
    Gon= MAKING MONEY TO BUY GREED ISLAND

    and the Phantom Troupe is the link between those two things and Yorknew is where it all takes place.

    So what does Baldy matter?

    Baldy matters because he's an obstacle to Gon making (more) money. Also because he helps to spark Gon's curiosity.
    So finding out Baldy's motives and m.o I think can be quite valuable as we see just a small sample of what Gon is "fighting" against.
    Baldy is basically the poster boy of the deceptive practices that go on all the time in Yorknew.
    It was basically Togashi saying "Hey! This stuff isn't as simple as it looks! People like Baldy are out to cheat you."

    I also think the way Togashi presented Baldy in the manga was fine--and I'm not sure where you get the idea I didn't.
    My problem is with the adaptations which present a different and honestly I think flawed view of Baldy.

  20. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  21. #194
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ZonikStrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    Lithuania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Actually I was the one who made the suggestion that Baldy is a competitive spirit and enjoys the sport of scamming rather than the actual benefits of it.
    Hmm... It still seems strange to me. To interrupt this conversation just because he loves arguing...? Well, it's the most reasonable answer so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
    No offense but you examining WAY TOO much into Baldy. Even in the manga, Baldy was just a conduit to explore auction scamming techniques, don't compare him to a supporting character like Zepiile who has motivations and desires because they are completely different kinds of characters importance wise. Baldy in the manga and the 2011 anime was just trying to rip off Gon and Killua when it came to the items they were selling. Exploring Baldy's motives would have had NO effect on the story and saying it would have added dimensions to Gon and Killua is ridiculous because it is irrelevant looking at what the arc is about. Yes there needs to be world building, but it needs to be placed where it makes sense

    This arc is about the Phantom Troupe/Kurapika not some scam artist in Yorknew. I think the way Togashi presented Baldy in the manga was fine
    You don't understand. We don't need to know WHY Baldy wanted to scam them. It's just... His words didn't seem like he was trying to scam them. He sounded like he wasn't really trying to achieve anything.

  22. #195
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ZonikStrike View Post
    Hmm... It still seems strange to me. To interrupt this conversation just because he loves arguing...? Well, it's the most reasonable answer so far.


    You don't understand. We don't need to know WHY Baldy wanted to scam them. It's just... His words didn't seem like he was trying to scam them. He sounded like he wasn't really trying to achieve anything.
    Actually I like to know why and how and all that jazz.
    But until then I'm sticking with my own answer.

Thread Closed
Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts