Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: New to Magi...Is it right for me?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Onoki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

New to Magi...Is it right for me?

Hello everyone. I’m new to the Magi forums but I’m acquainted more with the Naruto side on MH.

I’ll try to make this as quick as possible. I’m a big fan of Naruto but the series is (possibly) in it’s final arc so I’m testing out some newer titles in order to replace that void. I started with Attack on Titan which is epic to me. Enough said. Although I love that series, it’s a monthly manga and I’m used to the weekly chapters/episodes along with the anime being on hiatus for awhile. So I began watching Magi because I heard so much about it on the interwebs.

I started with the anime instead of the manga as I typically do. I’ve heard all of the gripes about the pacing and changes which is to be expected most times with adaptions. I’m currently watching the Zagan arc and I’m finally starting to get into the story but not the characters as of yet.

So now onto my questions. When does Magi become really good? Is this manga/anime for me?

Don’t get me wrong, t’s a nice series thus far but I’m awaiting this epicness I constantly hear about. As for myself, I’m into mangas with VERY strong antagonist characters, plot twists and the eventual mature turn in the story line (Naruto vs. Naruto Shipudden). If it helps, I’ll list a couple of series that I have became a big fan of.

—Attack on Titan (Anime)
    —Naruto (Part 2; Manga and Anime)
    —Kill La Kill (anime)
    —Seven Deadly Sins (Manga)
    —Dragonball Z (of course! anime)
    —One Piece (skimmed through the manga but haven’t read)

With that being said, if I’m not mesmerized by now, is Magi worth continuing? Thanks in advance.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to Magi...Is it right for me?

Is it worth continuing? Yes. When does it start getting good? Hmm, I'm not exactly sure where you are, but there comes a turning point during the chapters when a certain prince meets his mother again. Actually, it comes right before that when that same Prince reacts...surprisingly... to someone who thinks she's everyone's mother...From there it just gets better and better to the point where I look forward to this manga more than others I've followed for a very long time. The antagonists are seriously deep, even though the concepts of right and wrong are at many times blurred so you may end up empathizing with them despite how vile they are. There are tons of plot twists, and nothing that makes you roll your eyes. And a mature turn in the story...lol don't search for Magi on tumblr right now ok? Catch up to where the manga is, and I hope you end up agreeing with me =] And while you're at it, change that "skimmed through the manga but haven't read" description next to One Piece into a "I can't believe I haven't been reading this".

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obamamania View Post
    Is it worth continuing? Yes. When does it start getting good? Hmm, I'm not exactly sure where you are, but there comes a turning point during the chapters when a certain prince meets his mother again. Actually, it comes right before that when that same Prince reacts...surprisingly... to someone who thinks she's everyone's mother...From there it just gets better and better to the point where I look forward to this manga more than others I've followed for a very long time. The antagonists are seriously deep, even though the concepts of right and wrong are at many times blurred so you may end up empathizing with them despite how vile they are. There are tons of plot twists, and nothing that makes you roll your eyes. And a mature turn in the story...lol don't search for Magi on tumblr right now ok? Catch up to where the manga is, and I hope you end up agreeing with me =] And while you're at it, change that "skimmed through the manga but haven't read" description next to One Piece into a "I can't believe I haven't been reading this".
    Wow. Very well said even without huge spoilers. I think you've motivated me to continue. So far, it seems very campy but DBZ and Naruto started out the same way I guess. I grew to love them in their 2nd parts though which caused me to appreciate the journey of their 1st parts in retrospect.

What you said reminds me of Naruto. I actually sympathized with Pain, Obito and Madara because their plans weren't all so evil in the grand scheme of things but their character development caused them to go about it in a ruthless manner. As far as One Piece, I'm just intimidated that it's so far along for me to be starting from scratch.

I'm big on manga villans though. I'm sure at this point, the main villans haven't been revealed just yet even though their organization has been?

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunno but I got hooked on Magi during the Balbadd arc. All that drama with Cassim really got me interested in the series, the concept of falling into depravity and of course Sinbad's awesomeness.The humour is top notch, I like it better than OP's. Like you I started watching the anime before I read the manga, which I regret now because the anime doesn't do the manga justice imo. I was also looking for a weekly manga, after I caught up to OP, and while I was waiting for Berserk to resume. But now I think I like Magi more than Berserk. Maybe it's too late for you to get hooked, also while Magi is awesome it's not your typical shonen, so you shouldn't have too much expectations. I'd say Magi get really dramatic around the Magnostadt arc, and maybe even before. Sometimes I miss the earlier parts when the manga was more lighthearted.
    About the villains, with the exception of one which Obamamania mentioned, there really isn't someone who's 100% evil in Magi. And yes the head of the organization gets introduced much later, and right now we're having a flashback that may explain how that person became evil. You should expect those kind of scenes a lot in Magi, and they will undoubtedly make you feel sorry for the villains.
    Last edited by ladylola; June 25, 2014 at 04:56 PM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I can say this for sure: the drama and tension from this manga is outright deleted from the anime. Really dynamic moments and revelations are clear as day in the manga, yet I feel like the anime glosses over them not as a weakness in animation but just a weakness in how the creators of the anime see the manga. And it's never too late to get into a manga, although I know how you feel when thinking of reading a manga that's already 200 chapters in, let alone One Piece which is over 700. I had a friend convince me to read Kingdom after months of pressuring me, and I was reluctant to delve into those hundreds of chapters but I did and never regretted it. In all honesty though, Magi was really just a side manga for me until the conclusion of Balbadd when we really started seeing where things were headed. I can say now though that the writing and story just flows with me more than something like Naruto, however my only disclaimer is that if you're looking for a "battle manga" (not meant as a derogatory term) like some of the others listed you'll be disappointed since this manga while having frequent battles is not focused on fights on matchups.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some changes in anime sometimes but in Magi it is exaggerated. I remember when I caught up after the first season, there are big differences in the first chapter.

It is better in the Balbadd arc but the last episodes... It's better to read the manga first, it's way better.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obamamania View Post
    I can say this for sure: the drama and tension from this manga is outright deleted from the anime. Really dynamic moments and revelations are clear as day in the manga, yet I feel like the anime glosses over them not as a weakness in animation but just a weakness in how the creators of the anime see the manga. And it's never too late to get into a manga, although I know how you feel when thinking of reading a manga that's already 200 chapters in, let alone One Piece which is over 700. I had a friend convince me to read Kingdom after months of pressuring me, and I was reluctant to delve into those hundreds of chapters but I did and never regretted it. In all honesty though, Magi was really just a side manga for me until the conclusion of Balbadd when we really started seeing where things were headed. I can say now though that the writing and story just flows with me more than something like Naruto, however my only disclaimer is that if you're looking for a "battle manga" (not meant as a derogatory term) like some of the others listed you'll be disappointed since this manga while having frequent battles is not focused on fights on matchups.

Interesting. Honestly, the battles/strategy in Naruto drew me in but I thought the story was very complex up until the Fourth Ninja War arc. I noticed that the matchup dynamics aren't here but I can deal without that since I'm a huge fan of Attack on Titan. Even that appears more story driven than fight driven. As long as the battles are smart, I'm good.

I'll start over in One Piece even though I know a lot of the plot points through spoliers (Ace's father, Whitebeard's demise, etc.)

BTW...I never read it thoroughly but Claymore seemed interesting to me at first glance.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're interested in Claymore then you should definitely read Berserk. It's much better than Claymore in all possible ways.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth continuing? I'd say a big YES!

As you can see, the Magi anime, especially the first season was somewhat a mess during the first few episodes and the last few episodes, though it is still worth watching. The second season is much more appreciated since it followed what was on the manga... Though I, well most of us, would recommend you read the manga. If you don't want to start all over again from the very first chapter, then its okay. But you'll miss one of the greatest thing why we love this series. Magi is not you typical funny and action filled adventure shounen series. You'll understand why once you read the manga.

And Hey!!! Kill la Kill fan over here!!

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaIkaros View Post
    Is it worth continuing? I'd say a big YES!

As you can see, the Magi anime, especially the first season was somewhat a mess during the first few episodes and the last few episodes, though it is still worth watching. The second season is much more appreciated since it followed what was on the manga... Though I, well most of us, would recommend you read the manga. If you don't want to start all over again from the very first chapter, then its okay. But you'll miss one of the greatest thing why we love this series. Magi is not you typical funny and action filled adventure shounen series. You'll understand why once you read the manga.

And Hey!!! Kill la Kill fan over here!!
    I've already started trying to catch up with the manga after finishing season 1 of the anime. Season 2 seems to be a bit better to me so far now that the antagonist has made an entrance.

Kill La Kill is epic!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess my opinion isn't needed considering that everyone here have already said what had to be said.
    I'll just add that action will be there, as well as drama that will give you some feels.
    If you like politic intrigue, even better.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Zoro Zoldyck's Avatar
    Country
    Iraq
    Post Thanks / Like

The second season is better for sure, but I liked the animation in the first better.
    Still Magi is great and really different from other anime and I just love every character there is! All the characters are likable and it's amazing
    My favourites are Alladin Sinbad Masrur Yunan Alibaba and Kougyoku (Excuse the spelling xD)

I was first interested by the Arabian themes especially in the first dungeon and in the Balbad arc.
    Even the attacks they're almost all arabic words (A lot in Alma Toran) which makes me wonder if Ohtaka reads/knows arabic.

The idea of Magicians and Magi's is really awesome and Rukh, it's all so facinating and interesting! I love Magi <3
    Sorry this kinda got out of hand and became almost an "I LOVE MAGI so you should watch it too" post xD

Magi, Naruto, One piece , Hunter x Hunter , Fate/Zero, YuGiOh

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ryuusu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that everyone should give Magi a try. It has one of the most well developed stories and most interesting characters yet gets so little love from non Japanese fans.

New Reply