Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One Piece Polls. Some Numbers to See!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece One Piece Polls. Some Numbers to See!

I'll avoid make conclusions for now, but I'm interested into sharing these numbers. This was the reason to make the poll, to somewhat measure how well One Piece was doing in our forums and how much the community was engaged and motivated each chapter.

Fishman Island Numbers

Punk Hazard Numbers (So Far)

(EDITED WITH THE FORMULA SUGGESTED)

It's interesting that the average of voters is the same all the time. That talks about the constant users who vote here. When the amount of total voters exceed that numbers, it's very likely that it's due of a great chapter. It's way below, the chapter was bad.

The rest I'll give to you to make your own conclusions and appreciations. Share them, I'm interested into reading them.
    Last edited by Uriel; June 05, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece Polls. Some Numbers to See!

I don't get what "average votes" is meaning. I'm on it for 5 minutes, still not understand how it was done. It's driving me mad. WTF is an average vote ?
    As the choice for the polls were not the same between the two arcs, it's hard to give conclusions.
    Last edited by zelllogan; May 30, 2012 at 01:53 PM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    I don't get what "average votes" is meaning.
    About the polls, when I see the results, I can only say that those polls are unfortunately useless.
    Only fans are coming. People that didn't like the arc just stopped coming at some point.
    Exactly why it's needed. You can see a max number that implies that more people is eager to vote. When the number of total votes is low then you realize a lot of people left because what you say.

And average votes is an average of votes per category each chapter. It's a way to see how much it increase the amount of votes per category. It would be like this:
    In chapter 652 you've 6 votes in "Top Ten" when the average per category is 32. That's the 18%. That means that there is 82% of people that thought that it wasn't enough to be a "Top Ten" (Independent of what they voted).
    The next chapter you've 4 out of 26 in the same category, which means that now is the 15% and the 85% thinks that it's not a Top Ten material-worthy.
    If you check the threads you'll see that the percentage is different (3.17% of the Total Amount) but it doesn't work when I'm trying to compare the chapters between each other. I use averages because I feel more comfortable with them and I use that number later in other things.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

basically the results are showing us that Fishman island is not such a bad arc. And so, I choose not to believe the results ^^

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

basically the results are showing us that Fishman island is not such a bad arc. And so, I choose not to believe the results ^^
    Actually it says that PH is not better than FI ACCORDING TO POPULAR OPINION.

I tend to believe that FI sucks, so...
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

FI is just... No actually, FI sucked because of the lack of villaiçn *cough*Hody*cough*, but the conclusion of that arc was excellent (BM, Poseidon...) and the flashbacks of TF and Otohime weren't bad actually.

But if I have to choose between FI and PH... I'd say PH without a doubt " so far " (could go worse, or could be better). I think the only arc in which I voted epic afer epic, was the war XD

Anyway, nice job there Uriel.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you really counted all awful/boring votes? I can't believe k-dom was the only one voting 637, 638, 649, 661 and 662 "boring". (Saying this, because everyone could see the results anyways.) It doesn't seem like you have subtracted his vote... (Which leads me to the question why he's voting that way?)

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Actually it says that PH is not better than FI ACCORDING TO POPULAR OPINION.

I tend to believe that FI sucks, so...
    I agree to the part that FMI isn't that what Oda hyped up back ten years ago. But then again, it's pretty hard for an author to become better if he or she is already the most successful. And this is a OP subforum in a general "Easter Comic" forum, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that actually all arcs would achieve more or less the same averages since Oda delivers quality work which is satisfying the vast majority of all readers who are participating MHOP forums.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Oda was elected best Mangaka 2011 here on MH ...
    Last edited by hoeru; May 31, 2012 at 06:50 AM.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm counting it because it was his desire to vote like that. I wont take out any vote, that would be more bias than it is being already in a OP forum.

And yes, it will give same averages most of the times...But the amount of votes each chapter is what makes the difference. If you make an average of the "averages" and count the resting of each to achieve that number then you have an approximate number of the ones who think that the chapter isn't good to even rate it which will lead to a "worst" note.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: One Piece Polls. Some Numbers to See!

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    In chapter 652 you've 6 votes in "Top Ten" when the average per category is 32. That's the 18%. That means that there is 82% of people that thought that it wasn't enough to be a "Top Ten" (Independent of what they voted).
    The next chapter you've 4 out of 26 in the same category, which means that now is the 15% and the 85% thinks that it's not a Top Ten material-worthy.

I don't understand how you came up with those number (well actually I know how you did mathematical but for me it doesn't make that much sense). It would rather be 6/189 = 3,2% of all participants thought that the chapter was top ten material what means that about 97% thought it was not worth the label "top ten". I mean your average value is nothing more than the number of participants divided by the number of choices.
    I guess a better idea would be to use relative values in addition to the absolute values. That way you could not only see with one gaze how the majority thought about the chapter but you could aswell compare the results with another chapter. For example in chapter 654 8 of 168 people voted Top ten" that makes 4,8% of all votes "top ten"-votes.
    Furthermore if you would add a numerical value to each categorie (6 for top ten, 1 for awful) you could come up with a "real" average value.
    For example in chapter 652 it would lead to:
    top ten: 6 votes * 6 = 36
    epic: 59 votes * 5 = 295
    great: 83 votes * 4 =332
    good: 31 votes * 3 = 93
    avergage: 7 votes * 2 = 14
    awful: 3 votes *1 = 3
    The sum of those numbers (36 + 295 + 332 + 93 +14 + 3) is 773. If you divide that by the number of the total votes you get a kind of an average value. In this case it's 4.09 which means that it was a "great" chapter.
    If you do the same for chapter 654 you get as a result 3.4 which translates to a "good" chapter or rather a chapter right between "good" and "great". As you see you have more voters that voted "top ten" in said chapter but overall it was a weaker chapter than the other one.

Another point of critic would be that I think that the choices are over all "too good". You have only one negative choice and four that are pretty positive with only one "in the middle". Personally I think that the margin between "good" and "great" is to shallow and I'd prefer if you would add something else on the negative side of choices (you could seperate boring and awful again as I think there is much more of a difference between those two as between good and great).

Other than that I think that it's still kinda interesting to see how people vote and so you work is appreciated

The panda-bears rocking all over the world!

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

As Average Vote you shopuldnt have used the maximum voters divided by the options, but the average voting result.

Like 2 vote for 5 (best) and 2 for 4, so the Average Result is 4,5

Because it doesnt make much sense jsut to divide the number of voters through the number of options.

(Like in the first picture - Chapter 636: 217 Voters : 5 Options = ~43 Voters per Option.
    This way its senseless in my opinion... :/

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you vote during the fishman island arc even if you didn't participate to the thread ? Because if people who didn't like it didn't vote then it's normal that the polls surestimate the arc.

Otherwise I agree with the mean calculation, you should change it by using pound Uriel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post

Another point of critic would be that I think that the choices are over all "too good". You have only one negative choice and four that are pretty positive with only one "in the middle". Personally I think that the margin between "good" and "great" is to shallow and I'd prefer if you would add something else on the negative side of choices (you could seperate boring and awful again as I think there is much more of a difference between those two as between good and great).

Other than that I think that it's still kinda interesting to see how people vote and so you work is appreciated
    I thought like you did at first but the thing is that One Piece chapters tend to be liked so it does not make much sense to have a lot of bad choices. Though, I would suppress the top 10 category.
    Last edited by k-dom; June 02, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I wont suppress the Top 10 one. People tend to use "Epic" very lightly, reason why I made that option.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

They use this option even more lightly. Is it normal that all of the recent chapters are in the top 10 ? And it is not because of this category that people will become more reasonable and vote for epic less.
    I think the Great category helped more to decrease the number of Epic that this top 10 in the end

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Did you vote during the fishman island arc even if you didn't participate to the thread ? Because if people who didn't like it didn't vote then it's normal that the polls surestimate the arc.
    I think I voted all the time but I didn't vote "awful" most of the time.
    It depends how you see things. Most of the time, as a "one piece" chapter, I found it "awful" BUT as a "manga" chapter, It was most of the time "average" for me.
    And I don't expect One piece to be an "average" manga.

Also, end of the arc is often more appreciated by people than beginning of the arc. Plus, fishman island was a big awaited arc & Punk Hazard is probably "just" the "whiskey peak"/"java" of a "multiple-arcs "story line.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I did what you suggested me.

I also tried something which is interesting. Instead of multiplying Epic for 5, doing it for only 1 and going reverse makes a more accurate ranking of the perception of the arc given. I'll put both graphics and you tell me.

EDIT: I've problem with justifying that formula, actually. It's more accurate indeed, but some I'm not that smart >_>
    Last edited by Uriel; June 05, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast