Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What you call 'love' was invented by guys like me. To sell Nylons.

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What you call 'love' was invented by guys like me. To sell Nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post

I'm trying my best.
    But I feel like I might have outgrown the magazine, to be honest. I'm not really attracted to most of the series anymore and I certainly miss great titles that didn't feel as tuned down as most stuff these days...
    You know, I was really getting into the magazine around 2005 or so. Back then JUMP had just SOOO much more "soul"! Another era I really, REALLY loved was the rough'n'tough, meaty stuff from the (late) 80's. Hokuto no Ken is still one of my favorite series EVER, same goes for JoJo's...

Afternoon sure is a fine mag to subscribe to, nice choice! What are your favorite series from the magazine?
    I'm a big fan of Vinland Saga, Oofuri [Ookiku furikabutte], GON, Historie and Muugen no juunin/BotI. (Other series I follow from Afternoon are Sidonia no kishi and Bakuon rettou).

Once I have more time at hand I really wanna start Tenchi meisatsu, too! That series sounds so interesting and awesome~
    Of course, '80-'90 JUMP is simply the best. There were so many wonderful series at that time, not to mention that JUMP is getting "softer" these days. JoJo, City Hunter, Jigoku Sensei Nube.. so many series that I missed.

I'm a huge fan of those series too! To be honest even though I'm a fan of Nihei, I feel that Cydonia no Kishi is Nihei's weakest series. Bouen Erekitetou is also a wonderful manga, I suggest you to read it

Any particular genre that you dislike?

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    You should try Tower of God. The action isn't the main reason its awesome. The plot is very intriguing and needs reader's attention to understand it.
    Manhwa preacher strikes again

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Well spam is for meet the mods threads and member zone threads of course. Where it is supposed to be like that.
    Come on, I thought you are aiming for Most High Quality Poster next year?

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Of course, '80-'90 JUMP is simply the best. There were so many wonderful series at that time, not to mention that JUMP is getting "softer" these days. JoJo, City Hunter, Jigoku Sensei Nube.. so many series that I missed.

I'm a huge fan of those series too! To be honest even though I'm a fan of Nihei, I feel that Cydonia no Kishi is Nihei's weakest series. Bouen Erekitetou is also a wonderful manga, I suggest you to read it

Any particular genre that you dislike?
    Totally. I noticed this when I wrote retrospective articles on JUMP. (Unfortunately they're all in German since I'm just way more comfortable with writing in my mother tongue. Otherwise I would have already posted them somewhere in the Otaku Shoten.) It's not even a thing which becomes occurrent when comparing today's JUMP with, let's say gory, meaty 80's JUMP. Even when just going back to, like, 2004 it's amazing how different the magazine appears IMO...

What are some of your favorite series from JUMP? Be it from the past or these days. Let's say: Favorite ~10 Series. - Shoot!

Oh! You know what I completely forgot Bouken Erekite-tou since it's published irregularly. I know and love that one as well. (Like I mentioned on the second page [#18], I'm a HUGE fan of Tsuruta Kenji! His style is so gorgeous~)
    And I completely agree with you on Nihei. I'm not that huge a Nihei-tard like a buddy of mine (I jokingly call him "Niheilist" <-> as in "nihilist") but it's undeniable his stuff is damn good! Sidonia on the other hand does fall kind of short in contrast to his major works...

Genres that I dislike, hmm, let's see... I'd say I'm generally open to just about everything when done properly. Sadly enough some genres are quite prone to clichés. Leaving aside obvious examples like Shota- and Lolicon as well as Boys Love: I really don't like Ecchi titles. Either go for Adult content or leave that stuff out, I'm not 12 years old anymore... Fanservice (as in panty shots, accidental groping, and the likes) in my eyes is often a means for authors to cover up evident weaknesses in their story.
    Cheesy and over-the-top romances are no good for me either. I appreciate it when authors wanna tackle this major theme (i.e. love) which stands just about at the core of human life and our coexistence but please don't forget the realism in the process... Modern Japanese middle schoolers just ain't no knights in shining armor from the Middle Ages, dammit!
    Other than that, I've grown a bit tired of manga that feel like they were drawn by the book, i.e. feel stereotypical from beginning to end. (I mean these series that give you this feeling like you have read them or something closely similar dozens of times before, which feature characters without any memorable traits or designs and just generally have a stereotypical setup...)

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Come on, I thought you are aiming for Most High Quality Poster next year?
    These threads are special you know. Hm, high quality? I dunno, but other members are more deserving than I am I think.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Munich? Really?

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    Munich? Really?
    Nah, I just wanted to be cool so I made that up...............

Of course I'm living there.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

:P

Sorry, but you probably read the reason for my aversion to Munich. (Though I heard it's not that bad down there)

Anyhow, what music do you listen to? Any German bands?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    San Marino
    Post Thanks / Like

Your signature brought me here. Where do you watch Mad Men? Any good streaming sites you know? German dub preferable.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally. I noticed this when I wrote retrospective articles on JUMP. (Unfortunately they're all in German since I'm just way more comfortable with writing in my mother tongue. Otherwise I would have already posted them somewhere in the Otaku Shoten.) It's not even a thing which becomes occurrent when comparing today's JUMP with, let's say gory, meaty 80's JUMP. Even when just going back to, like, 2004 it's amazing how different the magazine appears IMO...
    Would you share them? I'm really curious and as you can guess I can read german

and hello Prince, I'm late to the party~

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    Sorry, but you probably read the reason for my aversion to Munich. (Though I heard it's not that bad down there)

Anyhow, what music do you listen to? Any German bands?
    Yeah, that aversion is understandable then. But it really is a beautiful city, very clean and quite glamorous or swanky. (We have some great cultural aspects here, fool! )

Favorite styles of music, as mentioned on page 1 of this thread, are Jazz and Hiphop. Preferably Japanese and US-American but English and German is fine, too. Though admittedly, I kinda lost track of the German music scene. I just don't know what's currently going on here...

Two of my favorite German artists are probably Käpt'n Peng and Rainald Grebe, though the latter is mostly doing musical cabaret his work as a "Chansonist" should not be sneezed at.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Evil3ye View Post
    Your signature brought me here. Where do you watch Mad Men? Any good streaming sites you know? German dub preferable.
    Hey there Evil!

Mad Men is such a beautiful and intelligent show. I greatly encourage you to continue watching it! Unfortunately I don't know anything about the German Dub (well, I have seen some episodes on ZDF neo on Free TV), since I have this, well, personal principle to watch and read most media in its original language.

So I have been following the show on Project Free TV. They have all episodes and seasons ready to enjoy on various streams.

--

@DD:
    Ja, zere was lots of Tsherman beer. Here's to anotha 999 years!!!

--

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Would you share them? I'm really curious and as you can guess I can read german

and hello Prince, I'm late to the party~
    Heya~~

Sure can do! I mostly post that stuff on the Partner Forum of my Site (OPwiki), that specific thread can be found: here! [I'm covering 2004's WSJ on post #16]

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Heya~~

Sure can do! I mostly post that stuff on the Partner Forum of my Site (OPwiki), that specific thread can be found: here! [I'm covering 2004's WSJ on post #16]
    Quite the nice article, I agree with the things you said (though I can't judge Gintama)

I knew most of that too though, I'm a little Otaku too I guess I can find a lot more when I check all your posts there?

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Quite the nice article, I agree with the things you said (though I can't judge Gintama)

I knew most of that too though, I'm a little Otaku too I guess I can find a lot more when I check all your posts there?
    Why, thank you very much. So happy to hear that! - I guess I'm more comfortable with writing those kinda articles in German. I mean my English is fairly good but my German writing is just... well, "topnotch-y" if I dare say so myself!

And yeah, you can find most of the stuff I write on manga right there. I'm also quite the enthusiastic reviewer, did dozens of reviews in German in the past. One of the section you definitely might want to check out is "Featured Mangaka"! That's the place where you can pick up some real good stuff!

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Hallo Prinz :-)
    kennst du dieses Lied ?

Ich habe es kurz gehört, ich wusste nicht sie hat es in Deutsch übersetzt. Mein ist nicht sehr gut, deshalb verstehe ich nicht alle aber es ist eines des schönstes Lied ich kenne über Deutsch und Französische Freundschaft.
    Das einige andere Lied ich erinnere die viele Erfolg in deutsche Party hat ist

Das ist wenn Ich Roflkopt3r vermisst, er postete sehr gute deutsche Lieder in die What are you listening Thread. Ich errinere ein Clip mit Affen die Trommel spielten aber habe ich das Titel vergessen

OK let's switch back to English, my German has limits :-) Good luck with the awards, I hope you win too.
    I wonder what kind of Magazine I would buy if I know Japanese. I certainly prefer Kodansha to Shueisha. In term of Seinen this latter seems quite weaker than his concurrents in contrast with shonen.
    As for the web comic discussion, do you know Ha Il-Kwon ? He is one of my favorite author in this medium and his stories would be probably more your style than SIU.
    Annanarusamanara has some very good graphic ideas
    Spoiler show

My heart is beating is a very nice and sweet romance.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Oulàlà~, bonjour monsieur k-dom!

Ça me fait plaisir de te voir! Thanks for stopping by~

Ohh, Barbara... how nostalgic. I can't say I heard much of her songs but this one I know, of course. She actually released one album of her "best" songs in German in the late 60's. I think it's called "Barbara singt Barbara" (edit: Oh, I just realized they even put the cover of that record in the YouTube Video... ).
    Like I said to Googlez before, I actually really like "Chanson" as a musical genre. Well, that is only if it's done "right". Sometimes they get a bit cheesy and go over the top with it. But one of my favorite Chansonniers is Udo Jürgens. Do you know him? He's great and we even share birthdays...

And the other one is quite the classic of modern German music. Die Ärzte is one of the most popular bands of this country and had their major success in the 90's! My big brother and my mom loved to listen to them back then. (Nowadays their music has become a bit gooey and even trivial to some point. The old stuff is WAY better!) They originally started out as a punk band so they also have a number of, well, louder songs as well. "Westerland" is a bit more on their calm side. - A classic nonetheless, like I said!

About the lost song you mentioned, I think I know that one. Is it possible it was Peter Fox's song "Alles neu"?
    I really love that guy and his other band (called "Seeed"). They do very melodical Hiphop which is exactly what I love most.

Thanks for your support in the Community Awards. It would be so great if I managed to take that award home...
    It would definitely motivate me to get more active again in regards to translating because I'd feel the need to prove that I earned the prize. And I keep my fingers crossed for you, too @ "Most Contributive Member"! Although your fellow countryman is a real strong opponent! (I won't lie I'm a Heiji fanboy. The dude is just sooo well-informed, he seems to know everything that's going on...)

Kodansha easily puts Shueisha in the pocket, IMO. I don't really understand all the obsession with Shueisha in the internet fandom. Popularity trumps everything, apparently. (But that's not really a problem exclusive to manga; music, movies, and literature have the same tendencies.)
    Oh, and thanks for the web series recommendation. I'll make sure to check the series out some time and let you know how I liked it!

PS: Wow, you really made great progress with your German! Looking good! Keep up the efforts~!!

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohh, Barbara... how nostalgic. I can't say I heard much of her songs but this one I know, of course. She actually released one album of her "best" songs in German in the late 60's. I think it's called "Barbara singt Barbara" (edit: Oh, I just realized they even put the cover of that record in the YouTube Video... ).
    Like I said to Googlez before, I actually really like "Chanson" as a musical genre. Well, that is only if it's done "right". Sometimes they get a bit cheesy and go over the top with it. But one of my favorite Chansonniers is Udo Jürgens. Do you know him? He's great and we even share birthdays...
    Oh it's great that you know her, she is one of our grandes dames.
    If you like French chanson, I could advice you some more recent singers in exchange of your German ones.

About the lost song you mentioned, I think I know that one. Is it possible it was Peter Fox's song "Alles neu"?
    I really love that guy and his other band (called "Seeed"). They do very melodical Hiphop which is exactly what I love most.
    Oh thanks, that is the one indeed. I really must note his name because I love this song.

Quote Quote:
    Thanks for your support in the Community Awards. It would be so great if I managed to take that award home...
    It would definitely motivate me to get more active again in regards to translating because I'd feel the need to prove that I earned the prize. And I keep my fingers crossed for you, too @ "Most Contributive Member"! Although your fellow countryman is a real strong opponent! (I won't lie I'm a Heiji fanboy. The dude is just sooo well-informed, he seems to know everything that's going on...)
    True, we have lot's of info thanks to him. I can't beat native speakers unfortunatly. But to my credit he doesn't get much out of the Otaku Shoten, does he ? I contribute absolutely EVERYWHERE :-) (well except in naruto forum)

Oh and it was funny at lunch, because we somehow discussed with colleagues about the old cartoons that were displayed on French TV (Cobra, Ken...) and they didn't believe me when I said it was published in the same magazine than Naruto. I immediatly thought to the recent discussion you had in the previous pages...

New Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast