Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Rate the Chapter!

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1] Awful/Boring

9 7.96%
  • 2] Average

12 10.62%
  • 3] Good

37 32.74%
  • 4] Great

45 39.82%
  • 5] Epic

10 8.85%
  • 6] Top Ten in One Piece

0 0%
New Reply
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece 683 Discussion

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted zerocooldx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece 683 Discussion / 684 Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rayleigh View Post
    It seems Vergo is already kicking while using Soru. It's also visible within Sanji's fight. Normally people move at high speed, reach the point where they wanted to be, then attack. Do you think he may already be preparing his attack while coming towards his opponent with Soru ?
    Well Soru is just a way to move quickly, so i don't see why anyone who can move quickly wouldn't be able to start their attacking motion at the same time whatever that attack may be. If anything it just depends on whats "easier" or more "convenient" to draw. Generally speaking drawing characters doing multiple things/movements at once is more difficult and probably messes with the quality of the art as well if done constantly. The biggest takeaway from that fight is how strong and fast Vergo is. He takes Counter Shock without skipping a beat and then over a short distance is as fast as Law's teleportation. Not sure what Smoker is going to accomplish other then to provide a diversion for Law.

"Upon the back of his body not a wound of retreat scars it."
    One Piece is a series created by a genius, it's a masterpiece, it's like a fine wine, it only gets better with time.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rody naruto's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of Jericho View Post
    So what if Law is a Shichibukai? It's pretty obvious that there's a big difference in strength within the Shichibukai. Or would you put Law on the same level as Doflamingo and Mihawk, for example? No way. From what we've seen on the Vice-Admirals, though, they all seem to be roughly around the same level of strength (exceptions being Garp and Tsuru). I'm also pretty sure the Vice-Admirals we've seen could take on some of the Shichibukai we've seen, like Crocodile, Jinbe or Moria. Not all of them, mind you, but then again, there are few people we know of in One Piece who could take on the likes of Mihawk, Kuma or Doflamingo. Law, though? He's nowhere near top tier, and well within the beating range of Vice-Admirals. Let's not forget Smoker's set up as Luffy's rival marine, and given how strong Luffy is and will have to become, that should say enough about Smoker.

Also, being the number one doesn't mean you're the strongest, especially within the marines. Sengoku might have been Fleet Admiral, but I don't think he was stronger than Akainu, Kizaru or Aokiji (he was still top tier, mind you, but the admirals surpassed him because they are in their prime and he no longer is). I don't get where you get that Vergo was already stronger than Smoker. So he has a higher rank in G5, like, duh, he got there earlier. But have we seen them fight yet? No. It's pretty unclear at this point how them facing off will go. That Vergo beat Law and Law beat Smoker doesn't mean Vergo will easily beat Smoker. It doesn't work like that in One Piece, that's been shown plenty of times before.
    Well there is definetly a difference among Vice admirals.Just think about it this way;it seems that there is only a place for three admirals in the marine which means that from all the vice admirals on the armee,only three will make the grade.Now it doesn't means that the choosen ones are the only ones from the plot which are on an admiral level,it just means that the government chose the top three to become admirals.
    From that,it is easy to assumed that there are still many Vice admirals that are on/close to the admiral level regardless of there title.So just like the Shichibukais,there should a huge difference among some of the Vice admirals in term of strenght.

About the Law-Vergo-Smoker issue,i would say that Vergo definitely is stronger than smoker and the best way to come up with that conclusion is to got back to the fight which opposed Law to Smoker.See Smoker didn't lose to Law because he was weaker than him.In the contrary when you take a look at that fight,just by observing the power of Smoker's attacks it is easy to see that he was definitely the strongest.So for me reason why Smoker lost to Traffy is because Smoker's technic and speed were the weakest.Law was the fastest and that is why he won the battle and it is also the reason why he(Law) lost to Vergo.Now,i know many of Traffy fans will get the excuse that Vergo has his hearth but if you take a look at this panel it should be clear to see that haven though he retrieved his hearth Law barely had the time react that he lost it again so much he couldn't see what was coming.
    Law lost Vergo because Vergo have both speed and the strenght of a beast and it is the same reason why Smoker will lose to him.He simply isn't fast enough.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

I don't think Oda would make Luffy fall there from no reason ; otherwise, he would have only had to let Luffy trying to break Monet's super igloo. Just like Razh said, it's like the Boa's inside from Skypiea : after you leave that dark place, you come back to the light different. It's Oda making a reference to the classical myth of the cavern. So I'm expecting Luffy falling there will have an impact on the events. There has to be something hidden there.
    Also Luffy did take alot of the spot light since the time skip and it should be the time for other members of the crew to show what they can do.Like Mani with the fact that she controls the weather should be a good opponent against Monet.I am dying to see Ussop in a big fight so we can really see his improvement .

Note: the Allegory of the cave is definitely on top three of my favorite(number being "Men become they think"from Earl Nightingale) thanks for the reminding
    Last edited by Rody naruto; October 02, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
    "Fear is only an idea success is an awareness"
    Check out my DeviantART

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have to say I totally disagree with most of the MH's One Piece community's. To me, this chapter was amazing, in particular because of Oda's drawings of Monet and Luffy/Law and Vergo's interactions.

Again you!... I was going to write some sentence like that, and there I found yours. At least, I voted first for epic chapter, man... Anyway, I will add some other reasons,

This chapter is just amazing. But before sharing my views on the chapter I want to recall some general features of One Piece.

First, One Piece is not a manga about physical power or fights. Monet has pointed a key to reading the whole manga: “don’t confuse victory with fighting power”. Let me paraphrase it this way: “if you are searching for fighting power magazines maybe this is not the manga for you.” Instead of that One Piece is a manga about will and about the power of will. In Punk Hazard’s arc, this element is presence, for instance, in Doflamingo’s warning to his crew about Luffy possibly being superior to Law because of he has awaken Conqueror’s haki.

But, as a matter of fact, the not so graceful hero of this manga is possibly the most stupid member of the crew; which is just a remarkable graceful event. The stupid hero, again… what a theme! I will quote some of his performances from user kouch_lee:

Quote Quote:
    • Buggy arc: Luffy gets imprisoned by Nami because he was too naive, and incapacitated for some chapters.
    • Kuro arc: Luffy falls asleep under Jango's comand.
    • Arlong arc: Luffy does a "stupid" attack and as a consequence gets thrown to the bottom of the sea by Arlong.
    • Little Garden: Luffy gets stuck under a mountain by a giant, and then gets constantly fucked over by Miss Goldenweek traps.
    • Skypiea: Luffy gets swallowed by a snake and then gets a giant golden ball attached to his arm, both times getting him away from the fight.
    • Foxy arc: Luffy gets constantly cheated by Foxy because of his extreme naivete.
    • Water Seven: Luffy gets stuck between 2 buildings.
    • Impel Down: In an incredibly tense race against time to save his brother, he finds the time to fuck around with that Sphinx and starts playing whack-a-mole with Mr. 3 clones . . .
    To add this chapter to the list, remember that some chapters ago, Law was giving instructions to everyone to make the most of the 2 hours they have. At the moment, Sanji saved a lady, Nami and Zoro’s group found children and stopped their drug consume, (Frankie will bring back Thousand sunny?), though beaten by Vergo Law reached SAD production room, Smoker found Vergo, and Luffy … well Luffy, the most powerful one, is trapped in the bottom of Lab's plumbing… Come on guys, that is just funny and so One Piece. (And it is possible that Luffy will come back yelling and rising a little flying Momonosuke). ... So once again, do you want a smart protagonist, who doesn’t even or often make mistakes? This is not the manga.

Now, Monet is just superb, and the title is dedicated to her. Oda’s inspiration for this character is for sure an ancient character of some Japanese tales: Yuki Onna. This is a beautiful lady, a snow woman, who uses to embrace her victims to extract their lives, as a succubus, with a cold hug; (Monet tries to do it with Luffy). She also uses to move without leaving footprints (which is associated with her following Law without being noticed). Related to this, in some tales she uses to be a ghost, (what also matches Monet’s possibility of trespassing those hard snow hut walls.) Finally, in some ancient japanese tales she falls in love of young visitors to the forest (which I associate also to Monet’s flirting with Law, the possessor of her heart).

Here an ancient tale already quoted in first page of the thread, with some of these features (source):

Spoiler show

To add more features to Monet, she is sweet, tender, and at the same time terrifying: “Mocha… please share with everyone”.

The moment with Law bringing back is just great, though I would like it better with an additional close up of Vergo appearing in the middle of the Room and another one of Law ready to move (as in a western duel )

I also enjoy Law evaluating his strategy in Punk Hazard: “it didn’t work” and confessing his miscalculation with a smile in his blooding face. Tuff guy, since he bravely had gave his heart to succeed, honestly telling the true.

---------- Post added October 03, 2012 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was October 02, 2012 at 11:34 PM ----------

One last thing on Law's final words: Vergo gets angry when Law calls him Vergo. It should have to be related with their common past.
    Last edited by ukimix; October 02, 2012 at 11:50 PM.

5. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member SHeeDeD's Avatar
    Country
    Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rody naruto View Post
    Well there is definetly a difference among Vice admirals.Just think about it this way;it seems that there is only a place for three admirals in the marine which means that from all the vice admirals on the armee,only three will make the grade.Now it doesn't means that the choosen ones are the only ones from the plot which are on an admiral level,it just means that the government chose the top three to become admirals.
    From that,it is easy to assumed that there are still many Vice admirals that are on/close to the admiral level regardless of there title.So just like the Shichibukais,there should a huge difference among some of the Vice admirals in term of strenght.

About the Law-Vergo-Smoker issue,i would say that Vergo definitely is stronger than smoker and the best way to come up with that conclusion is to got back to the fight which opposed Law to Smoker.See Smoker didn't lose to Law because he was weaker than him.In the contrary when you take a look at that fight,just by observing the power of Smoker's attacks it is easy to see that he was definitely the strongest.So for me reason why Smoker lost to Traffy is because Smoker's technic and speed were the weakest.Law was the fastest and that is why he won the battle and it is also the reason why he(Law) lost to Vergo.Now,i know many of Traffy fans will get the excuse that Vergo has his hearth but if you take a look at this panel it should be clear to see that haven though he retrieved his hearth Law barely had the time react that he lost it again so much he couldn't see what was coming.
    Law lost Vergo because Vergo have both speed and the strenght of a beast and it is the same reason why Smoker will lose to him.He simply isn't fast enough.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Also Luffy did take alot of the spot light since the time skip and it should be the time for other members of the crew to show what they can do.Like Mani with the fact that she controls the weather should be a good opponent against Monet.I am dying to see Ussop in a big fight so we can really see his improvement .

Note: the Allegory of the cave is definitely on top three of my favorite(number being "Men become they think"from Earl Nightingale) thanks for the reminding
    I'm sick of this, i bet so many ppl said what im about to say. Smoker losing to law, Law losing to verogn does not mean Vego is stronger than Smoker.

A>B and B > C does not mean A>C. I hate when i discuss strength like this. if i was gonna discuss it though. ill Provide the abilities for each char. then ill take stand/position.

And i Hope Luffy will take " I should think before I react" into consideration. In other words, change his personality a little like " strength does not mean everything i must use brain 2". and i think that's what Oda is trying to accomplish here.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHeeDeD View Post
    I'm sick of this, i bet so many ppl said what im about to say. Smoker losing to law, Law losing to verogn does not mean Vego is stronger than Smoker.

A>B and B > C does not mean A>C. I hate when i discuss strength like this. if i was gonna discuss it though. ill Provide the abilities for each char. then ill take stand/position.

And i Hope Luffy will take " I should think before I react" into consideration. In other words, change his personality a little like " strength does not mean everything i must use brain 2". and i think that's what Oda is trying to accomplish here.
    Damn why so serious!?If the idea shared in this trade is something that you don't agree with instead of complaining about it you should provide an other idea that you think is better.It is called being constructive .

Besides,if you read my post again you will see that i was talking more about speed and technic as a reason for what Smoker would lose against Vergo and when it comes to speed and technic it is the one who has a better understanding of it who will win.In that case if A>B and B>C,A is definitely superior > to C(at least 99% of the time as the 1% being the exception to the rule)
    Last edited by Rody naruto; October 03, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
    Check out my DeviantART

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ero-Sanji's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

For those that claims that if A>B and B>C then A>C, have you ever heard of the game rock paper scissors?

One of the greatest things about this battle manga is that everyone can get beaten by almost anyone depending on the situation and the mood of that "anyone". Law had an ability that made it possible to interact Smoker in a way that Vergo might not. Surely, he has Haki, but that itself is not a guarantee. Personally, I hope that Smoker gets a decent fight now and that he wins or forces Virgo to flee.
    Fate of Darkness vs Rubber Dream
    Purple Dragon vs Three-sword-Dragon
    Alcohol vs Money
    Lazy Eye vs Eye Lie
    Wrestling Jesus vs Cooking Pervert
    Horseman of Death vs Deer Life
    Decaying Female vs Blooming Demon
    Battleship vs Cyborg
    Gentleman with wings vs Gentleman with bones

THIS BATTLE HAS IT ALL!!!

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ummm, Law didn't lose to Vergo. Geez, Vergo was beating Law with Law's own technique. I meant Law give himself a freaking handicap by removing his heart. The 2 encounters with Vergo, Law has a huge freaking handicap. The second time, Vergo came out of nowhere. I meant Law thought Luffy and Smoker keep Vergo and CC busy.

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people will always rank fighters, no matter how many times Oda beats their heads with REALITY BAT. Personally, I haven't seen anything that would make Vergo look stronger than Smoker. Sure, Smoker got fooled by Law's ability. Mind you, it's not some shitty devil fruit, it's probably one of most dangerous abilities so far in One Piece. Smoker is still a logia and has probably absorbed some Rokushiki techniques. Maybe even Haki? We'll see.

Biggest problem here is that Vergo probably has his heart too and he won't hesitate to use it. Law's only hope is to take advantage of their fight and use it to get his heart back and possibly get rid of both of them at the same time.

I think it will be a great fight and you can't predict for sure who will have the upper hand. Even if Vergo is stronger, it doesn't mean he can win and vice-versa.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Oda has really gotten a hold of brutality after the war it seems, we have been getting brutal scenes in One Piece before, but he just seems to get better at it! That was really the highlight here, this chapters can be "felt". It has richness and dept.

Another thing was Monet and her "death kiss", well not really kiss, but I would say hug, in one panel she looked like she was "seducing" Luffy in the snow. Maybe the technique did not fully work because Luffy was never entranced by women?

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ero-Sanji View Post
    For those that claims that if A>B and B>C then A>C, have you ever heard of the game rock paper scissors?

One of the greatest things about this battle manga is that everyone can get beaten by almost anyone depending on the situation and the mood of that "anyone". Law had an ability that made it possible to interact Smoker in a way that Vergo might not. Surely, he has Haki, but that itself is not a guarantee. Personally, I hope that Smoker gets a decent fight now and that he wins or forces Virgo to flee.
    I don't think the game rock paper scissors applies when it comes to speed and technics. I mean i doubt Lewis Hamilton and michael schumacher go rock paper scissors in order to win thier race
    Vergo definitely has a step ahead of Smoker in term of speed and it should be clear just by taking a look at Law's fight against Smoker then Law's fight against Vergo.How can Smoker win against someone he can't keep up with!? This has nothing to do with rock paper scissors

Still i am pretty sure it is going to be a really good fight though!
    Last edited by Rody naruto; October 03, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
    Check out my DeviantART

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So glad we can put to bed the whole "Monet joining the strawhats. She is a bad guy, i dont understand why people cant face the facts. Kinemon joining or no one. Cant wait to see SMoker and Vergo get it opn

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shojin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad chapter at all!

Can't wait for the fight between Smoker and Vergo!
    **THE NICO ROBIN: ROKUSHIKI PROJECT**
    Project
    and Thread (UPDATE 10/6/14)
    **THE SHIZURU KUWABARA: REIKIBUKI STYLE PROJECT**
    Go here (UPDATE 05/23/12)
    Robin: The Rokushiki Demon (first two pages are up!)

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah That Angel face of hers while she was saying "Mocha..you can't keep it all to yourself,you know...please share with everyone." was just she gives me goose bumps(most because she remind me an ex but that's an other subject ) And Ussop reaction when he saw her was just Funny
    Check out my DeviantART

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Another thing was Monet and her "death kiss", well not really kiss, but I would say hug, in one panel she looked like she was "seducing" Luffy in the snow. Maybe the technique did not fully work because Luffy was never entranced by women?
    That makes me think we have to see Sanji reaction when he will see her :-)

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Maybe the technique did not fully work because Luffy was never entranced by women?
    Neither by men, which make think Luffy is like a 11 years old boy: he doesn't like sex, but he does like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    That makes me think we have to see Sanji reaction when he will see her :-)
    Sanji can resist seeing Monet, but if she hugs him... he would die with a smile on his face. Robin is a great rival for Monet.

New Reply
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast