Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: how to deal with loneliness

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remedy for Loneliness

I always think about Sartre when i hear that someone is lonely

“If you're lonely when you're alone, you're in bad company.”

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kirsty's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remedy for Loneliness

Books. Lots and lots of books. Animals like cats, dogs, and talking/noisy birds are best since they show affection better than reptiles and fish... well fish are just there doing nothing that helps with loneliness but they do make for good comedy in stories. Computer games like MMORPGs are good since you can have "friends/relationships" there. TV can distract you for only so long so it more of a temp fix. This is something that many do that sometimes isn't good but you could be a stick in the mud and just work all the time.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner helixis's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remedy for lloneliness

It's not expired, I still check it occasionally

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to deal with loneliness

loneliness is hard to handle, its very empty and depressing. one suggestion would be to get a pet or meet new friends. but one thing you must not do, is settle for the wrong person in a relationship, just for the sake of "not being alone"

i have done this in the past, and it does not work, even if you are physically attracted to them, if there is no actual bond or love or friendship, the relationship is doomed

its better to be alone and miserable, than to be with someone who makes you more miserable

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Over 8 billion people on the planet, that are human like you, how can you possibly be "alone"?.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think loneliness is a specific form of emptiness, i.e. lacking something. This "something" is what only people can provide. The "bond" with people you read about it so much in shounen manga is that exact thing I'm talking about, sounds corny but hey :P

But this is still a very general thing, because there are various things that people can provide, and it might only be one very specific aspect you can lack in order to feel loneliness.

Without going into too much details for now, examples of various bonds include drinking friend, a partner, classmate friends, a confidant (someone you can confide in,) a childhood friend, a family member.

All the above have one thing in common: they all provide a sense of belonging in your life. This could simply mean, there's always a place you can go back to when feeling lost or confused.

It's not always easy to pinpoint what exactly you think you are missing in your life, and because of this sometimes it's easy to confuse some form of loneliness with wanting a relationship (just as Kisame Hoshigaki insightfully states above.)

Though this probably will come off as crude advice, but when dealing with loneliness, it will certainly help to figure out what you really want. (Sometimes it can be hurtful to think, but it's a part of growing up and gaining an experience that will help you and even be a blessing to other people in the future.) Sometimes, the people that can take away your loneliness is just within hand's reach. They include existing friends and family. I'd say ultimately, this bond is build on none other than honesty, being honest with your feelings and opening up your heart to people.

Not as easy as it sounds, but it certainly isn't a change that can happen within seconds, so don't give up! Time does wonders to hearts.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    Over 8 billion people on the planet, that are human like you, how can you possibly be "alone"?.
    not only that, when you consider all of the parasites and micro organisms that live on or around us i dont see how anyone could feel alone

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AshCandyPop's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Work out, music, dance, books. I used to pig out but I paid dearly for that...

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2