Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: Rate the chapter!

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awful

1 20.00%
  • Boring

0 0%
  • Good

4 80.00%
  • Great

0 0%
  • Epic!

0 0%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Liar Game Chapter 157 Discussion/158 Prediction

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Liar Game Liar Game Chapter 157 Discussion/158 Prediction

This is the thread where you discuss the current chapter of Liar Game.
    24 Hour Spoiler Rule:
    • Please keep all discussion regarding the newest chapter and its content inside the spoiler/chapter discussions until 24 hours have passed after the raw/chapter's release.
    • Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars.
    • The 24 hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a courtesy rule. Not every member reads spoilers and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liar Game Chapter 157 Discussion/158 Prediction

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Oblivion's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

its nice to have a "stupid" spectator as the audience surrogate. he asks the question we are asking.

now it makes more sense why akiyama split harimoto apart, though this maybe a retcon, even if, its handeld quite well.

also: by using the line "whenever harimoto was alone he didnt make any meaningful decisions" also puts the author out of the plight of explaining everything and making everything come together for his retcon.

i'd love to see nao not being able to save everyone. hopefully, akiyama tries his darndest to help nao but fails in the end because of some scheme by team harimoto and the next round nao will start depressed.
    Oblivion@Deviantart
    keep answers like mini skirts, short to keep it interesting, but enough to cover the subject!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

"With a goal like that, the probability of Nao and Akiyama winning are a big fat zero!"

These mask guys are so adorable.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

The poll has been added!

Well with a big revelation last chapter we get the explanation in this one, but probably the best thing was learning about Kimura's past. The second half of the chapter was just repeating the "save everyone strategy" and how it will always fail. Though another interesting spark was the tension between the two masked guys, I hope we get more into their explanations and past in this arc.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    "With a goal like that, the probability of Nao and Akiyama winning are a big fat zero!"

These mask guys are so adorable.
    But with this the author is slowly divulging their emotions, which might gives us hints to why are they in LG and all that...I love it when things get personal

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

But the rest of the chapter is pretty much what we discussed in the last thread...the only difference being that Harimoto's spiritual influence is even less than we imagined, although in the eyes of the cult members he is still no. 1...I thought there would be a status quo or some power struggle, but if he completely fell for her...hmm, hmm...it would be a good twist to convert Harimoto to the Nao ideology, in order to get rid of Kimura...that would be a sweet victory for Nao in my opinion...that would help Abe a lot as well...

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well at least the prediction of the mask guys being former players might just be true, some kind of rivalry between then certainly hints to that.

Hm, interesting theory bene, since Harimoto is the tragic character now, as things appear, he is under the control of Kimura but I did not get did he love her or something since that was kind of hinted as well? Though it seems Kimura is the best at going after people's feelings, if that is the case. It can be an emotional breakdown, I can see him now on his knees with Nao "saving" him from Kimura or something.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about the concept of "love" in such contexts...I mean their relationship is based on manipulation and how resistant Harimoto is to Kimura's brainwashing...I think from Harimoto's POV it could be some sort of affection, admiration maybe? If it is indeed love, then it's some sort of sick love that might be in close relation to Harimoto's past...which I think it's pretty much incoming at this point...

Let's not forget that we are talking about a cult here...the amount of superstition is really high, so Harimoto might be delusional and maybe would think of Kimura as some sort of saviour figure, who knows...

In the end I'm not entirely sure how deep this "falling" for Kimura is...maybe it's just wishful thinking and me wanting that power struggle to exist, but I think Harimoto is smart enough to at least ditch Kimura when given the chance...or just letting her believe that she is in charge...I mean he isn't in a losing position since their goals are similar...get more followers and win the Liar Game...

On the other hand if this story is as precisely as the masked men told us, then Harimoto is indeed a pretty tragic figure...and if Nao "saves" him, then he will be just bouncing from the mercy of one woman to another...poor guy, his man pride must be hurting...

With all this said, a female showdown is definitely imminent IMO...Yokoya is pretty much the nemesis of both Akiyama and Nao, in terms of ideology and smarts, but more inclined to battle Akiyama, so I feel that Kimura as she is now was crafted just for Nao...Akiyama seems to be much more reserved in this arc, and he just holds together the intelligence and planning part of the group, but in the end this round of poker is a more personal one, and it will end with a Nao vs Kimura showdown...
    Last edited by benelori; September 28, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    But with this the author is slowly divulging their emotions, which might gives us hints to why are they in LG and all that...I love it when things get personal
    Yeah I like the hints we've been getting at their individual personalities and the conflict going on behind the scene as of late.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    Yeah I like the hints we've been getting at their individual personalities and the conflict going on behind the scene as of late.
    It certainly expands the number of people Nao will have to convert, that's for sure

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The explanation of the Kimura/Harimoto situation wasn't bad, but I'm still not buying it and Kaitani is digging himself deeper and deeper in his attempts to justify his retcon. The statement about Harimoto working on his own but nothing he ever did being significant is complete B.S.. Someone needs to send Kaitani a copy of the Steal-a-chair game arc for him to reread.

Also, someone needs to tell Akiyama that with clearly defined hierarchies, an organization can continue to operate even if the head gets cut off. The cult still operating smoothly with Harimoto in the can is not a smoking gun.

The observers are necessary to make the incredibly clunky and convoluted narrative structure work, but their stupidity gets on my nerves. Nao and Akiyama have zero chance of winning? Uh, what? Their saving of people will almost certainly cost them nothing due to the way that money transfers in the game.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the sort of situation where akiyama usually takes part in the physical aspect of the game rather than the rules. Perhaps his aim will be to steal and hide tablets? He has done such things before like when he took over the cubicles to see whether they were cured or when yokoya was trapped. The masked guys usually overlook such possibilities and right now the tablets should be a big target.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    This is the sort of situation where akiyama usually takes part in the physical aspect of the game rather than the rules. Perhaps his aim will be to steal and hide tablets? He has done such things before like when he took over the cubicles to see whether they were cured or when yokoya was trapped. The masked guys usually overlook such possibilities and right now the tablets should be a big target.
    I don't give Akiyama any credit for the circling of Yokoya. Even considering the penalty for violence, it would have been more cost effective to just beat the shit out of the other teams a round earlier and let Nao win the steal-a-chair game.

Speaking of that annoying bastard, are we not going to see anything that is happening in that game? Not seeing the other side of the Pandemic Game pissed me off (Harimoto's team was almost automatically guaranteed to advance simply due to numbers, but I don't get how he stopped Fuknaga from advancing) and Kaitani set up that side to be interesting due to Yokoya knowing about the plan to play Bid Poker.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we should never take everything the mask guys say too seriously. I mean they are weird characters to begin with. To them is also might be very confusing, they might just be on some power trip. the LGT is also a hierarchy and these guys are without a doubt at the bottom. Maybe someone who is lower would be those regular dealers with just plain masks.

But this also triggers back a memory, when we saw the Lawyer as one of these people, he has been showing up every now and then, but since the latest intro of the newest masked guy that seems to be the most high ranking official we have seen yet, we barely have scratched the LGT as an organization. It seem Kaitani has focused more on his characters than the mysteries, for example it is more fun to see what kind of relationship Harimoto has with everyone in the cult, or the shipping of AkixNao, or AkixFukunaga, rather than the mysteries and the logical/game/brain part of the series. It truly seems we are shifting from the "Mind" to the "Heart" is Liar Game.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    I don't give Akiyama any credit for the circling of Yokoya. Even considering the penalty for violence, it would have been more cost effective to just beat the shit out of the other teams a round earlier and let Nao win the steal-a-chair game.

Speaking of that annoying bastard, are we not going to see anything that is happening in that game? Not seeing the other side of the Pandemic Game pissed me off (Harimoto's team was almost automatically guaranteed to advance simply due to numbers, but I don't get how he stopped Fuknaga from advancing) and Kaitani set up that side to be interesting due to Yokoya knowing about the plan to play Bid Poker.
    Well, the strategy was supposedly brilliant because it didn't put the ones circling yokoyo at risk of incurring that penalty. They didn't actually attack yokoya, they just stood around him. In turn if yokoya went too far he could have been the one to get the penalty.

Most likely yokoya is going to end up doing the same akiyama is going to do to win the game so... it would be like spoiling the game for us. We still don't know what the trick behind what yokoya is though, it could actually end up being just a trick. That or he paid someone in the office lol.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast