Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

  1. #1
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member synapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by offensive bias View Post
    You are right, the mask is not needed if the problem was only to impersonate. But there are other uses of the mask:

    - impersonate Madara only to a select few. Before Nagato failed, only Nagato and other few knew it was Madara. Even Kisame knew him as Tobi and not Madara until the time Sasuke joined Akatsuki.

    - allow multiple people to take on the same identity, causing confusion and wrong conclusions among the enemy

    - cause speculation and fear as to who this ghost like person behind the mask is
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    Why would select impersonations require a mask when the whole point is that said person is capable of changing their look? Same with multiple people taking the same look, since we're talking about people with the same ability? And merely going around as Madara would inspire more then enough fear as we have seen.
    Why did Tobi use a mask and not a Zetsu impersonation? I think this discussion merits a separate thread...now that more facts are in.

  2. #2
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LnDRash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Eorzea
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    Make your pick:

    1. Plot Induced Stupidity
    2. Obito feels insecure about showing off his scarred face
    3. A cheap device to create mystery around the character and thus to keep people interested

    Imho option 3 is most likely.
    Click here for what I consider the definition of "simply brilliant"

    Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    He was once a very charismatic, kind, special and inspiring person. LnDRash was a premium brand, now this brand is called LnDTRash!

  3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #3
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gourmet World
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    The last Arc just ruined Naruto for me, so now we have more and more illogical things going on in the manga in every chapter, so I don't really think that we should try to find why he wore a mask and not Zetsu's impersonation sute.
    Though it might be due to this impersonation of Zetsu dieing while protecting him, though... And thus he was wearing the mask as a memento...

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #4
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member synapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    Though it might be due to this impersonation of Zetsu dieing while protecting him, though... And thus he was wearing the mask as a memento...
    I think that dude is still alive in Obito and was being spoken to by Madara

  7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #5
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gourmet World
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    That's an interesting theory.
    We might learn about it sooner or later. Maybe during the current flashback or a bit later during the fight.
    It might be the reason why he can easily get his limbs back after getting them cut.

  9. #6
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member TobiOrNotTobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    The only issue i have is Obito was wearing a Mask on the fight against Minato (also it wasn't the Spiral one) and obviously NOT the Tobi-Suit.
    Now let's say Tobi did die and Obito was wearing the Spiral Mask as a tribute wouldn't it make more sense to wear the Spiral Mask FIRST and only rather than the Tribal Mask?

    Imagine a close friend of yours has died, he used to wear a yellow hat all the time, you'd pay tribute to him by wearing a yellow hat right? Well, instead you decide to wear a black hat but as time passes (16years later) you finally start wearing the yellow one. That's just odd and confusing.

  10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  11. #7
    Intl Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Criss-Kun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    Brazil
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    Because a man who doesn't show his face could be anyone.
    Like Madara Uchiha for example.

  12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  13. #8
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    The last Arc just ruined Naruto for me, so now we have more and more illogical things going on in the manga in every chapter
    Frankly I don't think Naruto is more illogical now than it has been since the beggining.

    It's not worst than Orochimaru saying he left Akatsuki 7 years ago because of Itachi, despite he only joining 5 years ago (and at age 13, meaning that probably a lot more time passed until the match of his and Orochimaru).
    Last edited by Fox666; September 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

    did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #9
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Country
    Italy
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox666 View Post
    Frankly I don't think Naruto is more illogical now than it has been since the beggining.

    It's not worst than Orochimaru saying he left Akatsuki 7 years ago because of Itachi, despite he only joining 5 years ago (and at age 13, meaning that probably a lot more time passed until the match of his and Orochimaru).
    Itachi Uchiha, soloing Sannins at 11 years old
    Almost like Anko and Hayate becoming Genins at 2 and 1

    Tobi wore a mask solely for plot reason, if he wanted to really be no one he wouldn't throw Madara's name around.
    It would be way more effective to show Madara's face to the kages and the world

  16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #10
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member synapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha_Blood View Post
    Itachi Uchiha, soloing Sannins at 11 years old
    Almost like Anko and Hayate becoming Genins at 2 and 1

    Tobi wore a mask solely for plot reason, if he wanted to really be no one he wouldn't throw Madara's name around.
    It would be way more effective to show Madara's face to the kages and the world
    throwing around Madara's name happened only after Nagato failed. otherwise i think the plan was to be anonymous and resurrect Madara.

  18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  19. #11
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Country
    Italy
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by offensive bias View Post
    throwing around Madara's name happened only after Nagato failed. otherwise i think the plan was to be anonymous and resurrect Madara.
    Didn't the whole Madara identity thing begin after Deidara was killed off and Tobi ordered Pein to capture Naruto?
    Still true enough, Tobi did say he wanted to speed up his plan when Nagato died

  20. #12
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ryr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    731
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    You guys are always so negative.

    My guess is the Spiral guy, being a suit, blocked one of the attacks that would have otherwise fatally injured Obito and died in the process.

    What remains is his severed head. Obito eventually keeps the severed head and uses it as a mask. Sometimes, he will assume the Spiral guy's playful personality when he's not serious.
    Last edited by Ryr; September 29, 2012 at 09:33 AM.

  21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  22. #13
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sanga Au79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What was the purpose of Tobi's Mask?

    is it not logical that as he was impersonating madara he couldnt show his face because people might recognize him, but he at one time showed his face to a certain group of people (who are probably dead by now) to gain progress.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts