Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Question regarding Sanada...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner FuRinKaZan's Avatar
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question regarding Sanada...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I did some checking around and the English and Chinese translation are not even remotely the same. This is the page I'm talking about:

http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/Prin...nis349/172039/

In the Chinese version Sanada says: "You have no hope of returning my shot with such a skinny arm of yours."

I guess it's pointless to argue at this point since without seeing the original Japanese stuff it'd be completely impossible to tell which translation is correct.

From my experience, though, English translation tends to be significantly off from the original not necessarily because the guys doing the translation is bad, but that it takes way more letters/words to express the same concept and usually the translator don't want to make it look like the characters are talking in paragraphs or make stuff way smaller in font. The particular phrase in English was 8 words, while the simlified translation from the Chinese is 15 and it's not as expressive as what Sanada actually said.

The more verbose translation of what Sanada said (according to the Chinese version) would be:

"No matter how much you try with such skinny arms of yours, never in your life would you be able to return my shot."

And that'd definitely be way too long to fit in the word bubble in a reasonable font. Sanada is a relatively verbose character. His dialogue in the Chinese version filled up the entire bubble. Assuming the Chinese translation is correct, there is no way the English translation can possibly even fit in the same word bubble using the same sized font because it takes far less space (in same font) to express something in Chinese or Japanese compared to English.

I need to say that in the spanish original version of 39 tankobon of PoT, chapther 349 says "con esos brazos tan delgaditos jamas podras devolver mis bolas" , so it is again that thing of "skynny arms"... i really think that its just translator point of view or something like that, or maybe someone is wrong...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FuRinKaZan View Post
    I need to say that in the spanish original version of 39 tankobon of PoT, chapther 349 says "con esos brazos tan delgaditos jamas podras devolver mis bolas" , so it is again that thing of "skynny arms"... i really think that its just translator point of view or something like that, or maybe someone is wrong...
    It's not a point of view. Japanese is more concise than most languages, so if whatever Sanada said originally filled up his word bubble then it is almost impossible to not go over the word bubble with the same size font in English. As an example, Cait Sith's name in Japanese fits the default name limit for FF7 but in the English version it's too long so they had to increase the name limit in the English version. Conversely in Chrono Cross, due to a 6 letter limit you get stuff like Marcella -> Marcy, Starchild -> Starky, and so on. The translation part is trivial but there's just not possible to put the English-correct name in the same amount of space when written in English.

Now of course you can always use a smaller font but fonts are usually pretty big in manga (because most of the time they say 2-3 words anyway), and you don't really want to one section to have especially small font for consistency issues.

It's not particular wrong to rephrase something to fit within available space but you can definitely miss some details. Localization is a matter of judgment call, because otherwise all you'd need is Google Translate.
    Last edited by Phantron; October 06, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that ¨jamás podrás devolver mis bolas¨ sounds too funny in Spanish lol

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though this discussion has completely gone beyond what I was asking about, I guess I'll pop in here just to confirm that in the originally Japanese manga, Sanada DOES indeed say "細腕" which is the kanji for thin arms, slender arms, etc. I'm not entirely fluent in Japanese but the line is "Kisama no hosoude de wa isshoukaesen!" which is something to the extent of, "Your skinny arms cannot return this!"

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3