Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
Thread Closed
Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Wow Reborn! is really ending from the sounds of things. Kinda sad to see it go but its run its course I guess and the latest chapter doesn't give much to go on. Kurogane is safe right now but I wonder if it will be alright by the next cancellation wave. Assuming that the info is correct and not a guess.

BTW if Bleach isn't #1 or close to it 8 weeks from now I'll be very upset with the Japanese readers after reading this week's chapter!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Also forgot to mention that the Author of Double Bullet closed his twitter account 2 or so weeks ago saying that it was due to a certain reason.

The author of Date-senpai, Haikyuu and Kurogane also closed their twitter accounts before they started their new series.
    Last edited by Zeromcd; October 17, 2012 at 04:04 AM.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TemplateR's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats not really surprising, that Reborn-Manga is ending. I hope, that the ending is for the fans good ^^

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to see that from the top 5 series 3 are comedic/gag. Just another proof that Jump readers seem to be tired of all the usual fighting series.
    Never would have thought that Matsui's series could be that successful but it seems he kinda found a weak spot. Somehow reminds me of Shingeki no Kyojin where the mangaka found a theme a lot of people seem to relate to (capturing the feelings of the society or a part of it).

AC is good but the only reason (I can think of) why it is that popular is that the readers can relate to the story and it's characters. The pressure on school kids is enormous these days, especially in Japan where it matters a lot which school you attend and how you do. I guess that's why a lot can relate to the E-class and probably would wish for a teacher like Koro-sensei, who seems to truly care for them (a feeling a lot of teachers probably don't deliver very well). If you take into account that most jump readers attend school this seems very likely. Now if Matsui had all of this in mind when he created the series I can only say good job, my respect towards him just grew a lot.

7. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they are tired of a particular genre rather than the action series were of poor quality. Also it's probably easier to be popular with a comedy than with a drama.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I just hope Shueisha prints more than 30K for first printing this time unlike what they did with Haikyuu, Nisekoi or Saiki so we could get a clearer gauge of it's popularity.
    IIRC Death note's 1st volume sold about 1M copies so I wonder how a series that catches so strong and fast will compare.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

From the spoilers I read on 2ch it looks like Reborn! might be ending next week on a Center Colour like Bakuman did.

Spoiler show

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone confirm that it's relatively fast for AC to get a Lead CP? I mean, even Haikyuu the older series only get a lead CP recently. It is a surprising and wonderful news at the same time for me, though. Really glad that AC is able to get the first position once again.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I don't think they are tired of a particular genre rather than the action series were of poor quality. Also it's probably easier to be popular with a comedy than with a drama.
    I don't know how you define popular but as I believe it's pretty hard to make a gag series really popular

and you're judging series by their first chapters, don't ignore the future potential. Neither Naruto, nor Bleach or One Piece were that good at the start and they weren't that popular either but look what became of them. I believe nowadays it's pretty hard for an action series to survive in jump because you need to deliver more than the average to survive the start. Reducing this to the mangakas bad writing skill is a too simple explanation in my opinion.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BianchiChrome's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello!

I have posted this message at the Reborn! section.

I just wanted to point out to everyone that the spoiler only said that the The Curse of the Rainbow Arc is reaching a turning point. The spoiler did not say that the manga itself was ending.

I believe that the manga more than likely will have a final arc that will involve Tsuna becoming the Tenth Vongola boss officially. I say that it still too soon to say what will happen. I don't want anyone to jump the gun on this matter.

I believe that until there is official word from Shonen Jump that Reborn! is ending I don't want there to be wild speculation that would cause the fans to get upset that the manga is ending at this time.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I don't know how you define popular but as I believe it's pretty hard to make a gag series really popular

and you're judging series by their first chapters, don't ignore the future potential. Neither Naruto, nor Bleach or One Piece were that good at the start and they weren't that popular either but look what became of them. I believe nowadays it's pretty hard for an action series to survive in jump because you need to deliver more than the average to survive the start. Reducing this to the mangakas bad writing skill is a too simple explanation in my opinion.
    Well I don't know what you really mean by gag manga either. I don't think any of jump curent lineup is pure gag. And I just said it's more easy to please people by making them laugh than cry.
    Maybe it's harder to make a success from a genre which has been covered in every way possible. Readers may then be more demanding but I don't think they are tired of this particular genre
    Also One Piece was popular from the get go, it had 3 lead covers in the first 20 chapter. In 1998 , 95% of the chapters were in the top 3.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Well I don't know what you really mean by gag manga either. I don't think any of jump curent lineup is pure gag. And I just said it's more easy to please people by making them laugh than cry.
    Maybe it's harder to make a success from a genre which has been covered in every way possible. Readers may then be more demanding but I don't think they are tired of this particular genre
    Also One Piece was popular from the get go, it had 3 lead covers in the first 20 chapter. In 1998 , 95% of the chapters were in the top 3.
    Something that's pure comedy without any drama. You're right that there's no pure gag manga in jump atm but I disagree regarding what's an easier way too please. That's just my personal opinion though.

Well I guess most genres have been covered in a lot of ways so it's hard to come up with something new and refreshing but ofc it's possible to be tired of a certain genre. This "demanding more" part is prove of that.
    Let's say you're tired of action series - it doesn't mean you have lost all your interest in that genre but means you're tired of the same formula being repeated over and over again. You may watch/read it but nothing really impresses you so you are "meh" towards it. Only something that you deem refreshing, something out of the ordinary will spark your interest.

On the other hand yo haven't seen a nice comedy or drama series in a while. You watch an average/good series of that type and you start to really like it because you haven't read/watched something like this in a long while. Now if you would constantly be spammed with comedy/drama you would definitely demand more because you have read that usual formula over and over again. This is what happened to the fighting genre in jump in my opinion and I believe it's proven by what series get serialized lately. The only real fighting shounen, Bulge, was canceled early on, most other series survived (and/or did pretty well until now). It's no surprise that after pushing out action series after action series for years Jump is trying a different approach now - and it seems to work.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Nayrael's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not surprising to see, from time to time, newer series top old series that are older than they should be.

The bigger problem I think is that there were so few new memorable generic battle series that readers would support. And few that were did not have that spark that OP, Bleach and Naruto, etc. had. And I am sure I am not just getting tired here: I still find series of this genre very likable. But WSJ is slowly starting to be an uninteresting place for fans of this genre.
    Last edited by Nayrael; October 17, 2012 at 07:48 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The trend I notice with JUMP action series is that almost none of them actually hit their stride till their second year. Sure there obviously has to be some decent material in the first year of serlization but if you look at a lot of the current action series (Medaka Box, Reborn, Toriko, etc.) they weren't nearly as interesting in their first year as they are now(the first 40-50 chapters of Toriko in particular I found kind of boring compared to the rest of it). The problem with that trend of course is that these days none of the newer action series can even last a single year.

Of course we haven't been getting too many new action series, and I think that it's partially due to it, that when there is a new one, there's a larger expectation for it to start off firing on all cylinders(Barrage is probably the best example of this in recent memory) when the majority of JUMP action series have pretty much never done that.

Well anyway since it seems the rumored new series are action titles this time around, hopefully at least one of them will last a while.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think you have a point about that. Basically, a new series has to start out with the "opening act" to grab readers. But in order to get to One Piece-esque complexity regarding world outlook and drama and philosophy, it needs to last long enough to be able to examine it slowly and build it up from a simple foundation. So you care bout the characters and the situation feels believable and such. Togashi tends to do this pretty well, the opening acts of all his series are really good. The opening act of HXH, YYH, and Level E are all really interesting, while still being simple enough to grab people in. And then everything gets built on from there.

Really, the series just needs to last past that opening in order to attempt a bigger story. The beginning, therefore, is usually episodic. An interest in the characters needs to be built up. I don't read too many new series that end up getting canceled, but I remember Suikoden didn't really do that. They just had like one fight and jumped right into introducing tons of characters and having these long expositional secitons in it.
    Last edited by kewl0210; October 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM.

Thread Closed
Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast