Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 38 of 134 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    This title has been bothering me for a while, shouldn't the penguin have the French orthograph too ?

Anyway the surprise of this TOC is bleach, it has never been that high in ages. Souma is treated kindly, 23 pages for the 3d chapter doesn't happen that often, does it ?
    I think "Maison de Penguin" is actually the correct title, and that it's the author who made the mistake. The original title is pronounced "Mezon do pengin", and as far as I've seen it, the "do" has always translated to a "de" and never a "du". Do expect these kinds of errors a lot all over the English and Japanese-speaking world... unless you come here.

Anyways, I didn't realize Bleach was so high either until now. Aren't people sick of it dragging on so long already?
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; December 05, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well correct French can be Maison de Penguin if it's its name or Maison du pingouin if it's a common name. But I guess that indeed, nobody really cares. Btw why do you say it was pumped Maxy barnard ? After a look at it, it did not had that much color pages.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Well correct French can be Maison de Penguin if it's its name or Maison du pingouin if it's a common name. But I guess that indeed, nobody really cares. Btw why do you say it was pumped Maxy barnard ? After a look at it, it did not had that much color pages.
    I'd have to back and check, but it spent most of its time as a permanent number 5 in the TOC, with many thinking Oishi had special treatment from the editor in chief. It even got to the point where Gin Tama was making jokes about it, I think.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member kaze1028's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by kaze1028; December 05, 2012 at 11:41 PM.

5. Thanks 15 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member nyamonyamo's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I know sin class is fun to read but does it warrant that high post in toc? I really dont think so. It feels like the author doesnt even try hard to get that place. Every week is like new classmate/person over hyped as best killer then next week converted and the usual moral of the story. The other authors tried hard with their gags drawing and research. Even tho their story might be cliche but at least it has complexity. Its what i feel anyway.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfAniManga View Post
    I'm very happy to see both AC and Beelzebub get CPs again so soon.

However, I have to wonder about the timing of Beelzebub's CP. As this is only three weeks after the last one, it kinda feels like it's getting promoted like crazy, like Reborn, Kuroko, Medaka, Nisekoi, Kurogane and Haikyu were months ago.

Is the climax of the latest arc really going to be that great to warrant another CP? Or is it because it just so happens to do with Christmas that the editors feel it needs one?
    I don't know if color pages work that way. The way I see it, the author puts a request for a color page and the editor in chief decides whether or not its a good time for one. If popularity for the series is outstanding, then maybe the editor and mangaka both come to an agreement that there should be a color page. I don't think it always has to do with the popularity of the current story arc, but rather the popularity of the series in general.

I will say though, that Beelzebub has been getting more popular as of late. I can't remember when, but definitely sometime during the Okinawa Arc it got more popular. It may have a sad, sad showing in C83, and it may not sell as well as some of its contemporaries, but I think the Beelzebub fanbase has stayed strong and united, somehow. I say this completely unironically considering the current arc has been by far the most disappointing.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfAniManga View Post
    I think "Maison de Penguin" is actually the correct title, and that it's the author who made the mistake. The original title is pronounced "Mezon do pengin", and as far as I've seen it, the "do" has always translated to a "de" and never a "du". Do expect these kinds of errors a lot all over the English and Japanese-speaking world... unless you come here.

Anyways, I didn't realize Bleach was so high either until now. Aren't people sick of it dragging on so long already?
    Insert one of the other big mangas and you have your answer. :P

Anyways very happy with top 5 for Bleach. Also here starts the 3 week Lead CP dominance of OP. Wonder if other mangas will get a boost now that most people won't bother voting for OP lol.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece's biggest explosion was after Strong World came out. The last movie it had was the CG mini-movie that was a double feature with Toriko. So it wasn't a normal fully-fledged movie like Strong World was. They're probably banking on gaining a lot of popularity with OP here, so they're giving it a billion zillion covers.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyamonyamo View Post
    I know sin class is fun to read but does it warrant that high post in toc? I really dont think so. It feels like the author doesnt even try hard to get that place. Every week is like new classmate/person over hyped as best killer then next week converted and the usual moral of the story. The other authors tried hard with their gags drawing and research. Even tho their story might be cliche but at least it has complexity. Its what i feel anyway.
    Yes, the author creating about 19 pages a week requires such little effort that matsui can afford to just not try at all. God I hate trains of thought like this, where someone doing a high-input creative task can be accused of not trying. Yeah, it's got a bit of a formula, but you can do that with just about any series.

I will say that the comment about complexity can be valid though, as it does play its cards straight a lot of the time, knowing that the setting and the execution are so far off the beaten path that it surprises. And the gags... well actually no they're pretty inspired.

13. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonlink310 View Post
    Insert one of the other big mangas and you have your answer. :P

Anyways very happy with top 5 for Bleach. Also here starts the 3 week Lead CP dominance of OP. Wonder if other mangas will get a boost now that most people won't bother voting for OP lol.
    I always thought it applied especially to Bleach than the other big titles.

Quote Originally Posted by nyamonyamo View Post
    I doubt AC will stay this way for long, which is what makes it so exciting. I think these first few character introductions are only here as an exposition.

At most, I'd say it could end up like Neuro. At first, all that happened was Neuro and Yako solving little mysteries, then Neuro eating the mysteries. But later, it started delving into deeper mysteries that turn into arcs, such as with HAL and Sai. With AC, if Matsui is just going to keep introducing new best killers, I don't think he'll just leave them in one to three-chapter stands. And with such a large cast to begin with, as opposed to Neuro, I think he might also try focusing on developing the existing characters as opposed to introducing new ones so often instead.

Also, there have been so many hints suggesting that the story is about to take a drastic turn. We have Korosensei's past to work out, for instance. Either way, I don't think the author isn't trying hard.

P.S. Did anyone else notice how Red Eye's first appearance is actually in chapter 15 and not chapter 18? I didn't know until I checked back to it a few days ago. If Matsui can make a subtle hint at what's to come like that, then who knows what he'll try to do next?
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; December 05, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Jaiden82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice TOC this week. Glad Bleach kept its top 5 ranking again this week and also that Kurogane is not dead last.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    One Piece's biggest explosion was after Strong World came out. The last movie it had was the CG mini-movie that was a double feature with Toriko. So it wasn't a normal fully-fledged movie like Strong World was. They're probably banking on gaining a lot of popularity with OP here, so they're giving it a billion zillion covers.
    Don't you think that One Piece will have a hard time to improve its figure again. A lot of people seem to agree that it will be difficult to find more fans to sell the old volume to and the old volumes sells were what explain One Piece big figures. I mean can One Piece gain more popularity than it already has ?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    I say this completely unironically considering the current arc has been by far the most disappointing.
    I think the mangaka does better with his fun arcs instead of the serious one. The one about furiuchi and his "new gained powers" were great. The chapters of the recent arc instead feel rushed.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I give, is Baseballbat boy's whole deal that he turns up here and on the weekly jump livejournal just to be a dick to people?

Whatever. Anyway, anyone else beginning to get the feeling that jump's quality is getting too good overall? Like that's an odd statement, but give or take a couple of series, there's nothing really condemnable on the TOC anymore. It's gonna make the next cancellation round painful, that's for sure.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    I think the mangaka does better with his fun arcs instead of the serious one. The one about furiuchi and his "new gained powers" were great. The chapters of the recent arc instead feel rushed.
    Woah you read my strikeout. I feel the same way, and I loved the Furuichi arc a lot too! I think the difficulty is that the Furuichi arc hit so many high points for me, it was inevitable the arc following it was going to disappoint. Oh well, here's hoping the arc ends soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy Barnard View Post
    Anyway, anyone else beginning to get the feeling that jump's quality is getting too good overall? Like that's an odd statement, but give or take a couple of series, there's nothing really condemnable on the TOC anymore. It's gonna make the next cancellation round painful, that's for sure.
    You're right! :O I still think Jump could use another romance manga in there, somewhere.

Thread Closed
Page 38 of 134 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 ... LastLast