Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 587 by BadKarma , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 44 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

One difference is that Medaka Box's anime was latenight and Kuroko/AnE was primetime.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap Togashi congrats on selling over .5 million. Bleach keep on the good fight, you can make it back into +.5 mil soon. Hope Assassins gets to .5 million as well. Wonder if Naruto ending in the near would have an effect on which volumes sell more or less. I mean Reborn! will be off the charts halfway into 2013. While it sells low compared to before thats still 1/5th of a million in a week or so.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susanoo13 View Post
    One difference is that Medaka Box's anime was latenight and Kuroko/AnE was primetime.
    Kuroko's anime was also late night.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromcd View Post
    Kuroko's anime was also late night.
    what does late night mean. 10pm? because it sounds to me like 12pm-3am.

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Medaka Box was in 12pm-2am IIRC and about Kuroko I admit I thought it was at 9pm yet I don't know what time it aired

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or is the current layout and general design of JUMP just butt ugly? Especially the design of the TOC and the numbering on the spine look both... well, rather shitty.

Best TOC comment of the week by Komi-sensei, cracked me up so hard. Apparently, whenever he buys a book at his neighborhood bookstore he receives a bag of potatoes as a bonus. He has absolutely no idea why.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

7. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Triple Star Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I feel like the arguments downgrading Kuroko a bit silly. I'm not a huge fan either but it's fairly entertaining and IMO deserves the popularity boost. People might call it average and yes, there's nothing extraordinary but it's doing a lot of things right and good. Forget about realism or an amazing plot but that's not what I usually expect from a Jump manga anyway because there are certain limits and we shouldn't forget that the series are aimed at "kids". That doesn't mean it's impossible to create some kind of realism or make an outstanding/unusual plot (I guess Death Note is the best example) but I dislike when people downgrade everything that isn't. Take Kuroko for what it is: An entertaining series with likeable characters (bishies). Doesn't sound like much but these two things are done in a pretty good way and they are what makes this series so popular.

The anime just gave it a boost but all the popularity it has now is because people realized it's a good series and still think of it as a good series. It's not just something related to japan, Kuroko's rating on MAL rose from around 8.00 to 8.50 and people who know MAL's rating probably know that's quite a lot.

9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member [Cross]'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Or, you know, one could attribute Kuroko's high standing to the, well, legion of fujoishi that have attached themselves to the series. I mean, you guys saw the number of circles for comiket right? (before they were unceremoniously banned)
    Last edited by [Cross]; December 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

At some point every one needs to admit that Kuroko's popularity is not due to slight of hand. People like the series, that is why are watching the anime, buying the books, and voting for it in the weekly rankings. Hype does not sustain success; it may attract readers, but people genuinely have to like something for it to sell so well and rank so high after four years in Weekly Jump.

Oh, you silly people
    Airing late night would not have hurt Medaka. Primetime and morning anime are mostly children's anime, while late night anime tend to be big budget projects. The success of late nigh titles is solely dependent on BD/DVD sales, ratings obviously are not a factor.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM.

12. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Is it just me or is the current layout and general design of JUMP just butt ugly? Especially the design of the TOC and the numbering on the spine look both... well, rather shitty.

Best TOC comment of the week by Komi-sensei, cracked me up so hard. Apparently, whenever he buys a book at his neighborhood bookstore he receives a bag of potatoes as a bonus. He has absolutely no idea why.
    Jump's been ugly as long as I can remember. Beyond that, even. I'm looking at covers from each decade it's been about and the graphic design is always a clusterfuck, with poorly laid out text in a variety of fonts and colours, each getting in the way of the last thing. It's a pain.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always sort of hated Jump's logo. It just looks... pretty dated to be honest. I wish Shueisha would change to a more modern design, kind of like what SQ has.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It'd help if they were just more creative with it. That Kiruko debut cover is one of the only times in recent history I can think of where they ever bothered to try and do something interesting with the logo (and they didn't really get that down too well either)

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Airing late night would not have hurt Medaka. Primetime and morning anime are mostly children's anime, while late night anime tend to be big budget projects. The success of late nigh titles is solely dependent on BD/DVD sales, ratings obviously are not a factor.

Who does watch a new series at 12pm or later? i would normally sleep at that time, because of my work. the time slot in germany is used for horror flicks or reusing of the primetime show, which makes sense to me. Introducing a new episode of a big budget anime sounds weird to me? I

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Who does watch a new series at 12pm or later? i would normally sleep at that time, because of my work. the time slot in germany is used for horror flicks or reusing of the primetime show, which makes sense to me. Introducing a new episode of a big budget anime sounds weird to me? I
    There ya go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Also, otaku don't really go to work, so they can watch it...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Koshi_Inaba's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a reason late night slot are sometimes called Otaku O'Clock
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OtakuOClock

Thread Closed
Page 44 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 ... LastLast