Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 80 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2002

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Top 15 Recommended Manga of 2013 choosen by 1586 bookstore employees

1. Assassination Classroom

4. Haikyuu!!

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really related to Jump (at least I think it's not), but what's the name of the series that's in 3rd place in that list?

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Just when I had finished reuploading the stuff... bad Zero. Bad! :P

I sure was surprised how strong Ansatsu ranked with ladies in their 20's. Never thought that would be the biggest share of its readership. Hq!! on the other hand had always been this powerhouse with the female audience, so no surprise there.

Good job by both though!

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    Not really related to Jump (at least I think it's not), but what's the name of the series that's in 3rd place in that list?
    Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Another problem with Battle Mangas is the value of power. We read One Piece with several ultra attacks that destroy whole castles. Now a new series begins and seeing the Main Character cutting a simple tree isn't exciting enough. We already saw more. So many action series already start with a huge power, like the new hit from Weekly Shounen Magazine, Nanatsu no Taizai. He already is the leader of a famous and powerful group of knights and don't need any training.

Even bleach had less counts in all the training arcs, because reader dislike them, at least it looks like it. A new series would need to start with such a arc or already use powerful main characters, which could destroy later developments. Just guess how ridiculous DB would have been if Goku started as powerful as it ended.
    If fans really cared about power levels, the genre would have died before manga even existed. Superman was able to change the rotation of entire planets back in the late 1930's. Power level discussions are almost always nitpicking, the majority of fans don't care. Many might even want overpowered characters, it's part of the fun. Overpowered heroes goes back decades, before Dragonball.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Just when I had finished reuploading the stuff... bad Zero. Bad! :P
    >.>

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Pretty Poster
    Last edited by Zeromcd; February 04, 2013 at 11:36 AM.

8. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean, I guess it's a plausible theory when talking about smaller kids. But yeah, even then I'm not sure how much thought they're giving to it. The people who are sticklers in power-level discussions are usually older.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I mean, I guess it's a plausible theory when talking about smaller kids. But yeah, even then I'm not sure how much thought they're giving to it. The people who are sticklers in power-level discussions are usually older.
    They also could be more dedicated fans, more inclined to analyze every facet of the manga. All fans probably at least notice power levels in action manga, it's hard to avoid. But probably only a small, ultra-dedicated proportion of the fanbase are that focused on power levels. I'd assume most discussion in our forum does not represent the sentiment of the average fan, to small a pool of people, and most too entrenched in fandom. Overpowered superhero have been a staple of comics since at least the 1930's, fans suddenly won't start revolting now. Think about how many people probably like that about action manga, they enjoy the over the top nature of super powers. Some series, like One Piece and Toriko, are deliberately over the top for that very reason. Their mangaka have accepted the nature of the genre, instead of limiting themselves, they try and see how far their imagination can push things.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Superman was able to change the rotation of entire planets back in the late 1930's.
    Superman was so much weaker in the beginning (he was able to jump a building, but wasn't able to fly, for example). Gradually gave more powers, until Silver Age ('50 ~ '70) it became ridiculously overpowered. Later, they did to him weaker again, most believable (... xD).

I think this evolution is interesting, the current readers want to see something awesome, but balanced too.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromcd View Post
    Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

interesting list thou i am suprised terra formars is doing this good. although it has some grand ideas and such the 1 volume i read didnt seem that great to me. maybe i should read the rest...

I am happy for both the HQ and Ass.Class and One Punch Man.
    Last edited by cearon; February 04, 2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Double spoiler tag isnt my doing and have no idea why it is so

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I love demographic charts!

I remember Neuro having a large otome fanbase, so maybe fans of Neuro are recommending it to their friends, which leads to this chart looking the way that it does. I wonder what Onepunch Man's demographics look like.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cearon View Post
    [/SPOILER]
    interesting list thou i am suprised terra formars is doing this good. although it has some grand ideas and such the 1 volume i read didnt seem that great to me. maybe i should read the rest...
    Out of topic, but I think it's quite popular. It's even getting a cg-anime which is quite rare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N8VNR41H7k

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I like how we have been talking of different subjects in the last few weeks (Jump's conspiracies, JUMP's pimping, end of battle manga?, bichromes and color pages, night time anime and now power levels mixed with american comics) instead of just discussig the TOC!

Anyway, I dont think power levels are important, most JUMP heroes have ridiculous powers from the very start, heck, even comparing Slam Dunk vs Kuroko ( I know its spokon), one is like realistic the other is with powers and stuff both are succesful.. So as long as the story is interesting and well developed its ok.

also ONE PIECE which is the best seller right now is kinda weak in power levels to some Jump mangas like Bleach, Naruto and Medaka, it still outsells them, same with HXH.

Also yeah Superman might be the strongest DC character but Batman which is well.. A very smart and well trained human is close in popularity and the movies were pretty good IMO. Same with Spidy, he is very weak in his verse but its well liked.

tldr.
    Power levels IMO aren't a factor, Saint Seiya characters or Schneider would pwn any other character in JUMP (yeah, even Gohan or Goku) and that didnt keep DB from being a blockbuster.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

well Idont know about the end of battle manga but, World Trigger is getting the Bulge treatment. Hopefully it wont end the same way.

P.S: if any1 did posted it I am sry....

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, well that makes me hope for World Trigger to succeed more, but man... Viz haven't had the best luck choosing stuff so far. Not that I'm complaining when it means we might get physical english releases of Cross Manage in the future, but still.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll see if I can find the article (it's not directly related to Jump), but former senior editor Jason Thompson wrote last year about the difficulties American manga publishers face. The Japanese publishers greatly restrict how much freedom companies like VIZ have, even dictating how and where they advertise domestically. VIZ might not have a lot of freedom to choose what they add to SJ Alpha, it is a decision Shueisha could dictate.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

here it is: http://io9.com/5874951/why-manga-pub...uld-get-better

Not on topic per se, but good insight into how the manga publishing industry works.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 04, 2013 at 02:56 PM.

21. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 80 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 ... LastLast