Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 99 of 134 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2002

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Obviously I rounded 4 years=200 chapters and counted Beelzebub in. And I think one can agree that 9 out of 20 (or 10 out of 21) is close from the half.
    So I will rephrase almost half of the magazine consists in series older than 4 years...

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromcd View Post
    Here is the promotion card drawn by Haruichi-sensei that will be featured at certain bookstores across Japan for Haikyuu's volume 5 release:

There will be 2~3 more series (most likely Nisekoi, Assclass, One Piece) that will also have a card drawn by their authors as well for the upcoming comic releases. I couldn't find them, but they should be up in the next few days.
    I wonder if Tamura Ryuuhei, author of Beelzebu, will draw one. Volume 20 gets released next week, and its a volume that's been greatly anticipated by Japanese fandom. Or at least, that's what I'm getting the impression of. There is already fanart of the volume cover. I don't think that's happened before, for Beelzebub.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Could anyone tell me what it was that happenede between the mangaka of Fist of the North Star and City Hunter and Jump? I mean this is the first I've heard of it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner RocketWobbuffet's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perroloco View Post
    @wobuffet
    *text*
    Oh, I see. But I'm sure that Mazinger Z didn't appear in Famicom Jump.
    If you like Sket Dance, take a look at this channel.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    Could anyone tell me what it was that happenede between the mangaka of Fist of the North Star and City Hunter and Jump? I mean this is the first I've heard of it.
    Short version: They split off and started their own company, continuing jump works in different magazines and stuff. It's why all the kanzenbans of Hokuto no Ken and junk are handled by them instead of Shueisha. I don't know the finer details of how it came about, but in western comics terms it seems to be kinda like when Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld and so on split from Marvel to form Image Comics?

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    Well, as a huge Gekiga manga lover and someone who’s a great fan of Hara Tetsuo and Hōjō Tsukasa I’d been covering their departure from Shūeisha in a retrospective column a couple of years back. Unfortunately it wasn’t in English so I can’t just copy & paste it here. Thus, I’ll try and give you the short version of things I remember:

Hara and Hōjō both had the same editor back in the days, a man called Horie Nobuhiko. Horie would later rise up and become Weekly Shōnen JUMP’s fifth generation Editor-in-chief (from 1993-1996). Needlessly to say, those three were peas in a pot and shared quite a similar taste in manga and became very good friends over the years.
    Fact is, all three were ousted by Shūeisha or at least felt like it. – And from what I heard and read I’m 100%ly on their side. (Admittedly, as a fan I’m probably a tad biased… )

Let me reconstruct Hōjō’s situation shortly as an example:
    Hōjō had been with JUMP since 1981. His very first series, “Cat’s ♥ Eye”, became a major hit (18 volumes, over 18 million copies sold, a TV anime and even a movie adaption should speak for themselves!). His next work “City Hunter” (35 volumes, 35 million sold copies) became an even bigger hit and remains to this day one of the most notorious manga series of the 80’s. But despite the massive economic success of the series, City Hunter never really clicked with the magazine readers. Thus, the TOC rankings were quite bad. – As a consequence of this, CH was axed in 1991. What’s even worse: the editorial department told Hōjō (a veteran of the magazine with great achievements for JUMP) about that decision only 4 weeks in advance! (Most importantly, Hōjō had absolutely no intention of finishing his series at that point; quite contrary really. This is why he went on to create “Angel Heart” later on, because he felt like he still had lots of stories to tell.)

After this episode, Hōjō really grew tired of action series. But that didn’t work out with JUMP. His nature-loving supernatural drama “Komorebi no moto de…” crashed and burned in like… 25 chapters or so. (Which is outrageous because Komorebi was actually a pretty awesome series.)
    As a result he was pushed by his then-editor [no longer Horie who’d been promoted to E-i-C] to create yet another action series, which Hōjō reluctantly did. But the series in question, an action comedy with some crime and medicine elements by the name “Rash!!”, felt half-assed from the very beginning. Logical consequence: Rash!! got the ax after 16 chapters.

It was then that Hōjō became really frustrated with JUMP. He did not enjoy working for Shūeisha under the given circumstances, grew tired of drawing manga altogether and seriously considered quitting his career as a mangaka!
    The thing that ultimately put him off was when his next series, a family drama about love in various shapes (touching upon such delicate and dodgy topics as homosexuality and transvestitism), entitled “F.COMPO” got rejected by JUMP, because they did not want their readers to get in touch with these kinds of topics. – So they moved it to a Seinen mag.

Hōjō ultimately told himself: “If I don’t have any fun with this series either, I’m gonna quit for real!”
    Luckily he rediscovered his passion for manga and parted ways with Shūeisha in the year 2000. Hōjō and his friends Hara, Horie and Kamiya Akira (the godlike seiyū legend who voiced the likes of Kenshirō and Saeba Ryō) went on and founded the stock-corporation Coamix. They set up a brand new editorial department there and distributed together with the Shinchōsha Publishing Co., Ltd. the magazine Monthly Comic Bunch.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

9. Thanks 23 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

@Mr. prince.
    But wouldn't you say Shueisha/WSJ staff was impartial? I mean City Hunter did last a long time, though it sold well it wasnt doing good in TOCs so it got cut, nothing new here, even mangas like Saint Seiya (from a very importan established author) got cancelled.

Here is more of the story
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/hous...nga/2012-01-05

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

You can say they're impartial but it seems there's a history of frustration with the TOC rating system and how it can often guide kids to vote for what's in the front of the book, or even to skip the back of the book entirely (I think this may actually be related to why Jaguar was a mainstay in the backpages for, what, all of its ten years. was it? It's like a measure to combat that aspect, perhaps. But even with that, it's a pretty brutal system for authors.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Unfortunately it wasn’t in English so I can’t just copy & paste it here.
    Could you send me the link anyway? I assume it was in German, and that's one of the languages I know. I'd really wishto read the full story.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Nisekoi volume 7 release date moved from May → June

Kiruko-san volume 2 is now scheduled for → May

15. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm under the impression volume 2 will be the final one at this rate, so that's... nice?

I wonder what got Nisekoi pushed back a month, though.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Animeace's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yūsuke Murata (Eye Shield 21/ One Punch Man) has posted some new videos today of him drawing (Or Inking/coloring if you want to be technical;p) on his Ustream channel cool stuff

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29666636

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29668149

18. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The writer of Shokugeki no Souma will be appearing on Jump Bang next week (here is a picture of his face)

20. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Y'know, if I was a girl, I'd be creeped out that guy is actually a (former) hentai artist. I mean, seriously. If I gave him a short glance I wouldn't have thought he was one. I mean, his face is pretty attractive, so one would seriously get creeped out the moment a fairly attractive-looking guy turned out to be a hentai artist

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    Y'know, if I was a girl, I'd be creeped out that guy is actually a (former) hentai artist. I mean, seriously. If I gave him a short glance I wouldn't have thought he was one. I mean, his face is pretty attractive, so one would seriously get creeped out the moment a fairly attractive-looking guy turned out to be a hentai artist
    he is the author. the artist is someone else. i also don't think that i makes such a difference if that one was a creepy otaku. i mean a "filthy" hobby in the eyes of a women makes it not more filthy if the guy is handsome.

Thread Closed
Page 99 of 134 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 ... LastLast